Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on February 13, 2009
Okay. If you're considering over-the-calf socks, it's probably because you are like me and don't like your shin showing when you cross your leg wearing dress pants. A valid concern.

You should know, if you don't already, that OTC socks create extra friction at the calf muscle, which prevents your pants from draping correctly and tends to cause static buildup.

These "aquafx" socks are made from a material that, while it does wick away sweat more effectively than standard Gold Toe socks, is less sheer than standard Gold Toe socks, which means -even more- fricton. With these, my shins don't show, but I have to adjust my pants below the knee every time I stand up or sit down. Is it worth it? Still deciding.
on March 7, 2013
At 6'4", 270 lbs and living in a small town, I've been living for decades with socks that just don't fit well. Like many others, the constant tugging at sagging crew socks during the day drove me crazy.

After I had a heart attack recently I was forced to wear "compression" socks for a time and realized (light blub) that over-the -calf socks were the answer! Although I've typically been reluctant to shop for clothing online, I ordered 2 different styles of promising OTC socks from Amazon; the Gold-Toe Canterbury and the Gold Toe Aqua FX Jersey (aka Gold-Toe Premier Southampton).

The Canterbury's are "very good," the Jersey/Southampton's are AWESOME.

The Jersey's have a bit more length, don't thin out as much when stretched/more opaque, have a better fit and more substantial feel overall. This is due to more mercerized cotton and more spandex vs. the Canterbury. $10 pair vs. $7 but well worth it for me. In addition they theoretically have enhanced moisture-wicking capabilities.

In years past, the thought of paying $10 per pair of socks would have been unthinkable to me as I was Mr. "3 pairs for $8 at Wally World." But as a man ages he starts to appreciate getting what you pay for and wearing attire that actually fits and feels great. A few minutes wearing the Gold-Toe Jersey/Southampton Aqua FX removed any doubt that they are more than worth it.

If you're a taller individual seeking a dressy, comfortable, quality sock you won't regret purchasing these.
on April 7, 2008
I have to wear dress slacks and a tie to work.

These socks cover my calf, don't itch and don't fall down, while not choking my delicate leg circulation.

AND they look good.
on April 21, 2011
I've been on the unending search for Over-the-Calf (OTC) socks for years and was thrilled when I found these on Amazon. Since it was close to Christmas, I put them on my wish list and received two pairs. The socks were everything I wanted - extremely comfortable, attractive, AND (my holy grail) they stayed up all through a 14-hour work day!

After a single trip through the laundry, though, both pairs shrunk by more than 4 inches. Instead of being almost to the knee, they were below my calf. Of course, they now don't make it through my first meeting of the day without sagging.

I went to Amazon and bought a single pair from my wish list to confirm I had the right thing (couldn't tell my mother-in-law that the gift she had given was a bust). The new socks, too, were heaven for the first wearing. One wash, and the same results - no longer long enough nor would they stay up.

I do have decidedly hairless legs, so have a lot of trouble finding socks that won't droop. These were perfect, however, until they went through the wash and lost more than 25% of their length. If they need more special treatment than panty hose, they are certainly not what I need. I can't endorse such a product and must restart my years-long OTC search.
on August 23, 2012
After wearing and washing 8-10 times the elastic at the top gave up, and I now have ankle socks. I expected better from Gold Toe. Really disappointed.
on March 14, 2005
These socks feel great and look great. Not being a fan of men's socks that look opaque, I was concerned that they would be too thin, but I was presently proven wrong once I started wearing them. I took off one star since I think they are priced at least $3 too much.
on November 16, 2010
Like these socks the best of all ordered from Amazon. They have one grave weakness. The heels acquire holes all to rapidly, sometimes after 5-6 wearings and washings. The heels need to be reinforced like the toes. This would then be an excellent sock.
on January 12, 2008
Amazon is the only place I've been able to find these! They are ALL my grandpa wears and according to him, they are AWESOME. :)
on April 15, 2014
Quality seems fine, but the foot is baggy on my Men's size 8.5 US foot. Claims fits down to a size 6, but obviously not. Sock makers - make an over the calf sock for smaller feet, say size range Men's 6 - 9 US!
on November 19, 2015
Have always worn Gold Toe over the calf socks. I am about two years into the 25 or so pair I bought and have to agree that the heels need to be reinforced. The previous batch of socks lasted five years with no heel wear through just got worn.