5.0 out of 5 stars The best "white cotton casual sock" you can buy
Published on February 25, 2006 by yvonsos

1.0 out of 5 stars YIKES!
Published on December 9, 2009 by Charlie

1.0 out of 5 stars YIKES!, December 9, 2009
I have worn the original Gold Toe Fluffies white socks for years. They are/were absolutely great. The substance of the substantial cotton ribbing was sufficient to keep them up without the rubber thingy at the top squeezing off the blood & lymphatic tissue in the legs. They also lasted a very long time. I bought enough so that I could wear them every day & have a 3 weeks supply on hand. A few pair would wear out, and I would replace them. I am very rough on socks.

I read some bad reviews for the current version that were made with polyester. When I found I could still get the Fluffies in cotton, I bought a bunch. BIG MISTAKE. I think it is a crime what they have done to the best pair of casual socks on the market. The socks are fluffy alright. But, it is a completely different sock. There is probably half as much total cotton in the new model. It seems that I can feel the individual threads when I walk sock foot across a hardwood floor. Plus the tight rubber thingy at the top cuts off the circulation in my legs. Whoops, sorry. I'm not a vascular surgeon. Perhaps I should just say that it pinches my leg, and my leg swells above the top of my socks.

If you are used to the ones Gold Toe used to make, look elsewhere for something similar. This ain't it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what they used to be, December 7, 2010
This review is from: Gold Toe Men's Cotton Fluffies Casual Sock, 3-Pack (Apparel)
I've been a Gold Toe sock wearer for 20 years. The socks I received yesterday from Amazon are not the Gold Toe's of yesteryear. Instead of being thick, well made and comformatable - these Gold Toes are paper thin, poorly-made garbage. Let me explain line-by-line how horrible these socks are:

(1) Thickness
When I put them on my feet ** I can actually see through the sock**.

(2) Elastic
A word about the elastic. I signature for cheaply made socks is their inability to stay up when you walk. These Gold Toes fall to your ankles within 25 steps.

(3) Better Options
The bottom line is that they are bad socks. You can do better by buying cheapo Fruit of the Loom socks from a box store. These Gold Toes are good for little more than waxing your car. A better sock I can recommend to you are the crew socks offered by Landsend. If you are a person like me who you used to swear by Gold Toe but now find them grossly inadequate, then you will be happy with the offering from Landsend.

Good luck shopping.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "white cotton casual sock" you can buy, February 25, 2006
yvonsos (Oxford, MI USA) - See all my reviews
These are NOT the "Cheap-O" white socks. They are the Gold Toe White Fluffies we all look for ! Extra heavy cotton weight to absorb sweat and provide that soft cushion feeling for your feet. The elastic bind holds the socks up just fine without the top coming undone after many washes. I wear white socks everyday and buy 2-dozen at a time. These socks will last me 5-years ! Remember ..wash them with cold water and tumble dry on "low heat" to make the cotton fabric last a long time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not pleased with the changes, March 19, 2011
The reports are true. The current socks are much thinner than the previous version, which I had worn (replacing every 1-2 years) for 10 years. If it was even a close comparison, I wouldn't bother writing a review. But these socks are not comparable. Much thinner, stretchier, and a much looser weave. As an example, I can see right through the sock to my skin at a seam area below the ankle. This is not the case with the older model. That's not to say these socks are unwearable, but they are not very cushioned and they feel cheap.

UPDATE:
I just bought new ones (Feb 2013), and they have changed the socks yet again. Even thinner than before (nothing fluffy about these socks), and the ribbing on the calf section is different. It has wider spaced ribs, which you can see skin through. The very top of the sock has a rigid band which will only expand so far and then not give at all. Finally, the top of one sock started to fray after the very first wash. These are all changes made since I last reviewed these socks. No idea what Goldtoe is trying to do here.

SECOND UPDATE:
Because I can't seem to find any other socks I like and because I wanted to be sure the fraying was not a temp. quality control issue, I ordered again (Oct 2013). This time, the fraying was much worse. 10 out of the 12 socks shows significant unraveling at the cuff right out of the box. I uploaded photos to illustrate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Quality and Comfort, April 1, 2011
Amazon Customer (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
These socks are extremely uncomfortable. They're not at all soft. Furthermore, they began falling apart after the first wash. The Docker's socks I ordered (Dockers Men's 3-Pack Sport Crew Socks, on the other hand, are extremely comfortable and seem very durable. Do not buy these socks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not like they use to be., August 7, 2011
I agree with the comments of those people who were disappointed with the thickness of the new version of the socks. They did not resemble the good ole Gold tones. It is like buying a pair of socks from Walmart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought these on the strength of the other reviews and I second their opinions, January 13, 2007
I bought these socks on the strength of the other reviews. I won't repeat what these reviewers said except to say that I agree they are the best white socks you can get. However, I will add some additional information that they did not necessarily mention.

These socks are obviously well made and fairly thick. However, they are not too thick which is a concern that I had. They are much thicker and softer than Gold Toes Cotton Crew socks, but you must also pay for this i.e. $9.00 vs. $15.00. On the other hand, I estimate these socks will stand up to laundering better, last much longer and will stay up with repeated washing.

The exact composition of these socks is: 84% combed cotton, 15% stretch nylon and 1% spandex. The less expensive socks I reference above are 82% combed cotton, 17% stretch nylon and 1% spandex. One would think this wouldn't make much difference in terms of durability, but there seems to be more weight and material overall in the higher quality socks.

I have also had some experience with the WHITE COTTON CREW socks and while they are absorbent because of the high cotton content, I don't feel they held up to repeated washing well. I also don't think they are much better than less expensively priced socks by other manufacturers. However, the WHITE FLUFFIES are a quantum leap up and worth the extra money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fluffies?, December 23, 2011
These socks are not the same cotton fluffies I have been buying for years, they are much thinner.I am very dissapointed that Gold Toe have lowered their quality yet still charge a premium price. Time to switch brands.

1.0 out of 5 stars They really are as bad as the recent reviews suggest, May 4, 2011
Paul F. Thompson (Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I challenge you to find a positive review that is LESS than a couple of years old. I thought that perhaps the more recent bad reviews were over exaggerating: they are not. The old versions of these socks are what received the positive reviews, and they were deserved. I bought several pairs a few years ago and I would have given them 5 stars at that time. For some reason, they completely changed the material in the sock and they truly deserve 1 star for it.

The material isn't simply cheaper than the old socks -- these new ones are downright uncomfortable, and even a bit painful at first. The elastic is so tight that I had to break the very top elastic in order to not painfully pinch my calf, and I only have a size 9 foot. The material feels soft for about 2-3 washes and then any cushion it provides is no better than wearing my shoes barefoot. In fact, they feel coarse enough to be appropriate for scrubbing food off a table than putting anywhere near your skin. I would have given them 2 stars when I first bought them, but they've degraded to the point that I've already tossed them out and gone back to wearing the older pairs I had.

Bottom line: get something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Navy is a very very dark blue, March 16, 2005
I would never give Gold Toe Cotton Fluffies anything less than 5 stars; they are one of my favorite things, but I want to caution people that the color "Navy" is, to my human eyes at least, virtually identical to "Black."

I love my socks, but I have a real problem matching them up when I sort my laundry, and it's not as though I am color-blind. I fear that it will be a challenge to distinguish these from true black socks when they come out of the dryer.

About 25-years-ago, Gold Toe manufactured Cotton Fluffies in a much wider variety of colors. I would pay a lot of money for a new pair of Kelly Green Cotton Fluffies, should they ever be re-issued. I think Gold Toe may be missing out on a real opportunity to market their socks in limited edition colors, like VW Beetles or Beanie Babies.

Gold Toe Men's Cotton Fluffies Casual Sock, 3-Pack