Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Gold Toe Men's Metropolitan Dress Sock (Pack of Three Pairs)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 1, 2013
I have always bought Gold Toe socks but it looks like their quality has gone out the window! I bought 6 pairs of these socks about 5 months ago and I only have one pair left. All the rest have gotten holes in the exact same spot on the side of the heel. I have pairs that are 3 or more years old that have never gotten holes in them and are just starting to show wear... I guess another company ruined their product by outsourcing :(

I'm never going to recommend Gold Toe socks again unless they vastly improve the quality!
on March 16, 2011
I have been wearing gold toe socks for about 15 years now, but as other folks have pointed out, they don't seem to last long at all anymore. They don't get holes, but the heal seems to wear away pretty quickly (I just use them for work, no running or anything) I did notice that with this last set of socks I bought that they are no longer being make in the USA. I think they may have changed up the material being used at the same time.
on October 3, 2007
The Metropolitan socks are thin and fairly comfy, but they sag on the calves very easily. I pulled them up all the way and wore them for about 3 minutes walking down the street. They were already sagging down to my ankles! They are not tight at all.

I'm 5'8" and bought the "one size" sock. I'm in good shape and my calves are neither fat or sculpted.

For $15/3-pair, I might as well have gotten a $5 3-pack of saggy dress socks at Walgreens.
Gold Toe makes an excellent sock and their "Men's Metropolitan Dress Sock" is no exception. The socks are remarkably comfortable; they are not thick and they are not too thin just as other reviewers noted. They almost never "bunch up" inside my shoes as I walk around and they are very much worth the price. They last longer so the long life of these socks justifies the slightly higher price.

I also like the design of the toe section actually being gold colored fabric. Amazon points out that these socks come in your choice of four different colors: black, charcoal, brown and navy blue. The safest, most conservative choice for the corporate office is the black color; but the other colors come in handy too depending on your work/play "dress code."

These socks can easily be washed in any washer or dryer--but I would heed the manufacturer's warning about not drying them at a high temperature. High temperatures in the clothes dryer cause these socks to wear out faster. They will stretch more and become much looser on your feet.

The socks fit shoe sizes 7 through 12 so it's almost one size fits all. Very good!

Overall, Gold Toe is the brand to buy if you want good quality, long lasting socks. The "Metropolitan Dress Socks" for men match any attire and they can even be worn in bed on those really cold nights to keep your feet warm!

Highly recommended! May you wear them in good health! SMILE
44 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2011
I bought these socks based on other reviews. Although I followed the manufacturer's recommendations for laundering the socks, I found that they shrank with the first washing to the point that they were tight on my calves--and I am a woman with slender calves! They attract lint like crazy and feel thin and scratchy. I bought them just after Christmas and now only wear them when I don't care how I look. Still on the lookout for a decent trouser socks!
on May 30, 2015
I bought 5 different brands of dress socks:
Calvin Klein Men's 3 Pack Cotton Rich Dress Rib Socks, Black;
Dockers Men's 5-Pack Classics Dress Flat Knit Crew Socks, Black;
Gold Toe Men's Metropolitan Dress Sock, Black;
Kenneth Cole Men's 6-pack Ribbed Dress Socks (Black);
Sakkas 5599BLACK Mens Cotton Blend Ribbed Dress Socks.
I've been randomly wearing these for about 6 months. My favorite is the Sakkas. The texture is very smooth and the fabric is a little more sheer than the others, this combination makes them very comfortable. They contour very nicely to the shape of my foot and leg and after they're on you can't really feel them. I see some complaints about the wear in the reviews. I haven't had any problems and walk a fair amount with them, but I can see where that might be a problem relative to some of the thicker, stiffer socks. The Sakkas are so comfortable, if I do have any problems I'll simply buy more.
My next favorite are the Calvin Kleins. They're a little thicker and have a lot of the same qualities, but just not quite as good. They are almost four times the price as the Sakkas.
The Kenneth Coles are a little thicker, but a little more stiff and scratchy.
The Dockers are okay but they don't contour as well.
The least favorite are the Gold Toes, they are the scratchiest and have the least contour.
I'm ordering more Sakkas and will be donating the rest.
on September 13, 2008
While these socks are very well made and overall a solid product, I agree that they do sag very easily and don't have very good elastic support like some other brands. These have the standard "ring" at the top to tighten around your calf, but unlike some other dress socks, they don't have the elastic tightness throughout the calf-area to support the sock from your ankle to your upper calf. Not a big deal, just a pain to have to pull up my socks repeatedly throughout the day.

Otherwise, be careful to combine these socks with uncomfortable shoes. Matched with comfortable shoes, these socks are great -- they're very breathable and feel good on your feet when you're walking or sitting at your desk. Matched with uncomfortable/mis-sized shoes, they are a nightmare. It's like wearing very thin sandpaper for socks -- they will grind on the balls of your feet and burn calluses into your skin. So, just be careful.
on June 28, 2014
I love Gold Toe. They have the best socks. I'm 17 and I dress up very often and I have to say these dress socks are the best! They are beyond comfortable and I highly recommend you get them! I got them for I Belive $11 which is great because I normally can't get them for less than $17 if not $20
on October 19, 2006
Great socks.... They dont get much better than Gold Toe brand dress sock. I have been buy these socks for years and they last for ever... Any other dress sock I buy fades in two or three months. 100% worth the money.

If you have an Outlet Mall in your area most all of them have a sock/underware store. You can get these same socks for half the price. They are still worth the Amazon price
on December 19, 2010
I have worn Metropolitan dress socks for many years and have been very satisfied. I recently bought some more and am dissatisfied. There is a deterioration in quality. The socks sagged very badly.