Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 22, 2012
I'm updating this review after doing some research, and here's what I found out:

Gold Toe has changed manufacturers ("Made in Mexico"), and their socks TOTALLY SUCK now. They are no better than the 6-packs of cheap socks at Wal-Mart.

Background story: I bought a few pairs of these Gold Toe socks from a Dillard's a couple of years back, and I LOVED them. We're talking five star quality. They were different from the usual crap socks from Wal-Mart/Target/Kohl's. These socks were 1) soft, 2) fit right, and 3) were durable. And these socks LAST. I thought I was a Gold Toe convert for LIFE.

Several months later, however, I saw some Gold Toe socks for sale at Kohl's and bought them. Same packaging, same name, etc. They didn't seem quite the same, but I didn't think anything of it at the time.

After wearing them for a few months, however, I noticed a big difference. The newer Gold Toe socks from Kohl's were wearing out much faster than the older, original pairs. They were getting holes on the side of the ankles, wearing out fast in the heels, etc.

As of today, I've now thrown out all but two of the 12 newer Gold Toe socks, and I have my original pairs of the "old" Gold Toe socks. My original Gold Toe socks from Dillard's are still going strong and feel great (though dingier from the long time I've had them).

I was thinking that maybe I got some socks that were made different for non-retail stores (Wal-Mart's been known to do that - get manufacturers to cut quality to meet Wal-Mart's pricing demands), so I went back to the Dillard's that I bought the originals from tonight to see if the Gold Toes there were like the ones I bought at Kohl's.

I checked them, and they also felt like average, cheapo socks - like the ones that had worn out on me.

I asked the worker at Dillard's about it, who called and asked the store manager about it, and they told me what had happened - about the manufacturing move to Mexico. He also knew that they sucked now, since they started making down south.

Bottom line: I wouldn't buy Gold Toe anywhere anymore. Why pay more for cheapo socks, wrapped in Gold Toe branding? It's a sad day for those of us who know what they WERE like before Gold Toe sold out.

Why, Gold Toe? WHY?

Unless you go back to your old quality standards, I'll never buy them again.
3535 comments| 462 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2011
I have been purchasing Gold Toe athletic socks for years. Up until recently, the socks were made in the United States and the quality has been outstanding. I realized something was wrong when I purchased Gold Toe Men's Cotton Quarter Athletic Sock, 6-Pack and one of the socks had a small hole in it right out of the package, another developed a hole in less than one month; and upon further investigation discovered, in the tiniest of print, the socks were now made in Mexico.

In a side by side comparison, it becomes completely evident Gold Toe athletic socks now made in Mexico are not the same high quality nor are they as well made as Gold Toe socks previously made in the United States.
0Comment| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2012
I've been wearing Gold Toe quarter socks every day of my life for the past 22 years so if there ever was an expert opinion, it would have to be mine.

I have noticed they don't last as long as they used to- at least socks that I've purchased in the last year. I assumed it had to do with my shoes.

Another reviewer commented on them feeling very hot and trapping heat. This is my biggest complaint. I have also just now noticed this and this was something else I had also assumed was the shoes but brand new pair of shoes and brand new pair of socks and I can't stand to keep them on. It really does feel like my feet are on top of hot coals.

On the plus side, I was surprised to find this "6 pack" was for 6 pairs, not 6 socks and it came with two bonus pairs, so 16 total socks. That would be a fantastic deal for the old Gold Toe socks but for something that I can't stand to wear and that doesn't last as long, I will be switching to another brand of sock... after 22 years.

It just goes to show what sending your manufacturing overseas and using lower quality materials will do to even the most loyal customer. I'm actually considering returning these. Only reason I'm giving 2 stars is maybe the heat trapping effect will come in handy in the winter time.

R.I.P. Gold Toe socks. Hope the extra profits are worth it.
22 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 23, 2011
Based on a previous experience, I bought these socks in April 2011. Even though they appeared on-line to be identical to the previous purchase, they were obviously not.

The first ones have lasted about a year with each pair worn an average of once every two weeks. The new pairs went into rotation when I bought them on sale in April, but lasted only about four months even though they were worn less often.

Four of the six oldest pairs are still wearable, albeit not really pretty. Even as old as they are they still have a thicker feel than the newer ones did when they first arrived. Quality went way down sometime in the eight months between orders. Maybe they were from a batch of seconds? Maybe it was just a fluke. Either way I am apprehensive about buying Gold Toe again.

Instead, I purchased these *Link Removed, Product No Longer Available* and can already tell that they are of higher quality. They are of heavier cotton and the stitching in the area of the ribbed ankle is noticeably tighter. Even better, they cost less.
33 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2015
I now have a good inventory of soft cotton rags each with at least one hole. Cut where the ankle meets the foot. Use the foot. Haven't figured out a good use for the elastic ankle part. Wait a second. Now that I think of it, a beer can holder. You'll have to put your team's logo on it yourself. Impress your fellow fans with your thrifty, resourcefulness!
review image
on March 29, 2010
This is a review for Gold Toe Men's Cotton Quarter Athletic Sock. I purchase these socks based on very good review here.

1. Comfort: These socks are comfortable, soft at first, however after an hour i feel very warm.
2. Material: These socks don't look like it was made from quality cotton.For $18, these socks are not worth the value.
3. Size: I order size 10-13( for shoes size 6 to 12.5). The socks are too large and too loose(my shoes's size is 8). In addition, after the first wash, these stretch a lot. I have Nike , Puma, CK socks and have never had this problem. I think these socks are good for big and tall size ONLY. I don't recommend buying this if you wear shoes size smaller than 9.

Hope my review help you to make better decision.
on April 27, 2013
I have bought Gold Toe socks for probably 20 years or more. They have always been high quality and wore very well. For the last several years I have bought them from Amazon with no problems. The last package I bought from Amazon were terrible. The bottoms frayed very quickly and wore through and the fabric became dingy and no amount of washing or bleach helped. I understand that they are now made outside the US so that explains it. I have seen this happen with dozens of products that I have used over the years. Before too long it will be impossible to buy ANY quality products in the US.
Someone on here recommended Adidas socks and I followed their advice. No luck there either. I ordered 6 pairs of Adidas black low top socks from Amazon less then a week ago. A couple of days ago I wore a pair and then washed them. The bottoms looked like they had been ran through a shredder and one even had a hole all the way through the fabric.
I'm starting to think that Amazon needs to screen their sellers a little better. I buy a LOT of items from Amazon because I despise shopping but some of the items I've been getting lately have me believing they might be knock-offs, including these socks. I know for a fact that a lot of sellers are running scams. I have seen things for sale for as much as 10x the price that they are available for everywhere else, one company with a Hispanic name tries to sell all kinds of items, mostly grocery items, for 4-5x their usual price. A lot of times if you point it out in a review Amazon refuses to post it.
CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A BRAND OF ATHLETIC SOCK THAT WILL LAST MORE THEN A COUPLE OF MONTHS?
on July 4, 2014
I read the reviews before I ordered, and they were correct. These made in Mexico Gold Toe socks are no where near the quality of my previous purchase. Those old socks of at least 30 washings have more heft to them than these new socks.
on November 15, 2012
These socks are the worst. Apart from construction issues, the fabric that's used is significantly different to what's listed in the online production description.

The online description lists: 84% combed cotton, 14% stretch nylon, and 2% spandex.

The actual sock label lists: 79% cotton, 19% nylon, 1% polyester, and 1% spandex.

And quite frankly, I have enough floor experience in garment production to doubt very much that the sock label is correct. It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer conveniently "forgot" to make sure a label was updated to reflect downgrades in fabric quality.

So sad to see a classic brand go down the tubes.
on February 11, 2015
We've bought these socks before, but this time there is a major sizing issue (see attached photo). We ordered two packs of socks, size 13-15. Instead, we received two packs labeled as size 12-16. But the bigger problem is the discrepancy in actual size between the two packs. The one made in Honduras is much smaller than the one made in Mexico. These will be going back and we will be buying socks somewhere else.
review image