5.0 out of 5 stars Good socks for a reasonable price.
Comfortable, thick and long-lasting socks. Still wear some that are over a year old. Cheaper then if you were to purchace in a retail store.
Published on July 15, 2006 by Kezzer One

I'm updating this review after doing some research, and here's what I found out:

Gold Toe has changed manufacturers ("Made in Mexico"), and their socks TOTALLY SUCK now. They are no better than the 6-packs of cheap socks at Wal-Mart.

Published on January 22, 2012 by Bryan

1.0 out of 5 stars NOOOO! Gold Toe brand is ruined... They changed manufacturers; Walmart quality now, January 22, 2012
Bryan (Gilbert, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gold Toe Men's Cotton Quarter Athletic Sock Six-Pack (Apparel)

Background story: I bought a few pairs of these Gold Toe socks from a Dillard's a couple of years back, and I LOVED them. We're talking five star quality. They were different from the usual crap socks from Wal-Mart/Target/Kohl's. These socks were 1) soft, 2) fit right, and 3) were durable. And these socks LAST. I thought I was a Gold Toe convert for LIFE.

Several months later, however, I saw some Gold Toe socks for sale at Kohl's and bought them. Same packaging, same name, etc. They didn't seem quite the same, but I didn't think anything of it at the time.

After wearing them for a few months, however, I noticed a big difference. The newer Gold Toe socks from Kohl's were wearing out much faster than the older, original pairs. They were getting holes on the side of the ankles, wearing out fast in the heels, etc.

As of today, I've now thrown out all but two of the 12 newer Gold Toe socks, and I have my original pairs of the "old" Gold Toe socks. My original Gold Toe socks from Dillard's are still going strong and feel great (though dingier from the long time I've had them).

I was thinking that maybe I got some socks that were made different for non-retail stores (Wal-Mart's been known to do that - get manufacturers to cut quality to meet Wal-Mart's pricing demands), so I went back to the Dillard's that I bought the originals from tonight to see if the Gold Toes there were like the ones I bought at Kohl's.

I checked them, and they also felt like average, cheapo socks - like the ones that had worn out on me.

I asked the worker at Dillard's about it, who called and asked the store manager about it, and they told me what had happened - about the manufacturing move to Mexico. He also knew that they sucked now, since they started making down south.

Bottom line: I wouldn't buy Gold Toe anywhere anymore. Why pay more for cheapo socks, wrapped in Gold Toe branding? It's a sad day for those of us who know what they WERE like before Gold Toe sold out.

Why, Gold Toe? WHY?

Unless you go back to your old quality standards, I'll never buy them again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gold Toe Socks Made In Mexico Results In The Decline Of Quality, December 16, 2011
I have been purchasing Gold Toe athletic socks for years. Up until recently, the socks were made in the United States and the quality has been outstanding. I realized something was wrong when I purchased Gold Toe Men's Cotton Quarter Athletic Sock, 6-Pack and one of the socks had a small hole in it right out of the package, another developed a hole in less than one month; and upon further investigation discovered, in the tiniest of print, the socks were now made in Mexico.

In a side by side comparison, it becomes completely evident Gold Toe athletic socks now made in Mexico are not the same high quality nor are they as well made as Gold Toe socks previously made in the United States.

2.0 out of 5 stars More Like Gold Hole Than Gold Toe These Days, September 23, 2011
Based on a previous experience, I bought these socks in April 2011. Even though they appeared on-line to be identical to the previous purchase, they were obviously not.

The first ones have lasted about a year with each pair worn an average of once every two weeks. The new pairs went into rotation when I bought them on sale in April, but lasted only about four months even though they were worn less often.

Four of the six oldest pairs are still wearable, albeit not really pretty. Even as old as they are they still have a thicker feel than the newer ones did when they first arrived. Quality went way down sometime in the eight months between orders. Maybe they were from a batch of seconds? Maybe it was just a fluke. Either way I am apprehensive about buying Gold Toe again.

Instead, I purchased these adidas Men's Quarter Athletic Sock, 6-Pack and can already tell that they are of higher quality. They are of heavier cotton and the stitching in the area of the ribbed ankle is noticeably tighter. Even better, they cost less.

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to see for myself., July 14, 2012
Todd S. (Alpharetta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I've been wearing Gold Toe quarter socks every day of my life for the past 22 years so if there ever was an expert opinion, it would have to be mine.

I have noticed they don't last as long as they used to- at least socks that I've purchased in the last year. I assumed it had to do with my shoes.

Another reviewer commented on them feeling very hot and trapping heat. This is my biggest complaint. I have also just now noticed this and this was something else I had also assumed was the shoes but brand new pair of shoes and brand new pair of socks and I can't stand to keep them on. It really does feel like my feet are on top of hot coals.

On the plus side, I was surprised to find this "6 pack" was for 6 pairs, not 6 socks and it came with two bonus pairs, so 16 total socks. That would be a fantastic deal for the old Gold Toe socks but for something that I can't stand to wear and that doesn't last as long, I will be switching to another brand of sock... after 22 years.

It just goes to show what sending your manufacturing overseas and using lower quality materials will do to even the most loyal customer. I'm actually considering returning these. Only reason I'm giving 2 stars is maybe the heat trapping effect will come in handy in the winter time.

R.I.P. Gold Toe socks. Hope the extra profits are worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too large, loose after first wash, March 29, 2010
This is a review for Gold Toe Men's Cotton Quarter Athletic Sock. I purchase these socks based on very good review here.

1. Comfort: These socks are comfortable, soft at first, however after an hour i feel very warm.
2. Material: These socks don't look like it was made from quality cotton.For $18, these socks are not worth the value.
3. Size: I order size 10-13( for shoes size 6 to 12.5). The socks are too large and too loose(my shoes's size is 8). In addition, after the first wash, these stretch a lot. I have Nike , Puma, CK socks and have never had this problem. I think these socks are good for big and tall size ONLY. I don't recommend buying this if you wear shoes size smaller than 9.

Hope my review help you to make better decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good socks for a reasonable price., July 15, 2006
Kezzer One "John" (Rochester Hills, MI) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Socks that fit!, January 13, 2009
These Gold Toe socks were a Christmas present for our son. Matt is 6'5" and size 14 shoe. Many of the local stores and sports apparel stores just do not carry extra large socks. In a pinch, (no pun intended) Matt buys and wears socks that are just too small. Additonally these Gold Toe socks are soft on the inside and durable and wash well. If you need extended size socks, these are the socks to look for!

3.0 out of 5 stars quality has gone down hill, July 4, 2014
I read the reviews before I ordered, and they were correct. These made in Mexico Gold Toe socks are no where near the quality of my previous purchase. Those old socks of at least 30 washings have more heft to them than these new socks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gold Toe - a once great company that sold out., February 14, 2013
There was a time, not too long ago, when Gold Toe made the best socks that money could buy. They were twice or even three times as expensive as the competition, but considering that a pair could be washed and used thirty times or more before wearing out, they were still the best deal in town. Buying 12 pairs at a time, all looking the same of course, would set me for a year.

Then a few years ago I noticed something had happened. Gold Toe had become strangely affordable, only somewhat more expensive than the generic brands. The next thing I noticed was after a couple of washes, some of them had shrunk, others had holes in them, and within short just about all of them had worn out. Being a long time Gold Toe fan, i hoped it was just a bad batch, so gave them one more chance. Same thing. I am guessing Gold Toe has, like so many other companies, fired their workers and are simply slapping their label on production runs from the same sweat shops that make the regular generic wear and dispose clothing.

I no longer buy Gold Toe as I see little reason to pay extra without getting anything extra. If someone could recommend a quality sock maker still in business I am all ears.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID! Fabric used is NOT what's listed in online description., November 15, 2012
These socks are the worst. Apart from construction issues, the fabric that's used is significantly different to what's listed in the online production description.

The online description lists: 84% combed cotton, 14% stretch nylon, and 2% spandex.

The actual sock label lists: 79% cotton, 19% nylon, 1% polyester, and 1% spandex.

And quite frankly, I have enough floor experience in garment production to doubt very much that the sock label is correct. It wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer conveniently "forgot" to make sure a label was updated to reflect downgrades in fabric quality.

So sad to see a classic brand go down the tubes.

Gold Toe Men's Cotton Quarter Athletic Sock Six-Pack