5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Socks !!!
Published on November 21, 2006 by Matthew G. Sherwin

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother
As a long time Gold Toe customer I found these socks to be most disappointing. For many years, Gold Toe made a superior product called the Windsor Wool Mid-Calf Dress Sock. I would usually buy half a dozen to a dozen at a time at Lord & Taylor in Manhattan.

Published on September 28, 2011 by FXO

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, September 28, 2011
FXO (New York, NY) - See all my reviews

Several years ago, the company was taken over by another firm which cut the quality of this excellent product and reduced the size of the line. Fewer offerings and less quality. I can only guess this was done to save money.

These are nowhere near the quality of the original Windsor Wool socks. Since the mid-calf socks are no longer available, I bought 9 pairs because I thought these were the closest approximation to the mid-calf ones I liked so much. Bad move and a waste of money on my part.

These socks are in no way comparable to the originals. They are thinner, the fabric composition is different and, most annoyingly, they just will not stay up. Rarely, would I ever have to pull up the original. They were long-wearing and comfortable. These new ones keep sliding down my leg and my foot, making them very uncomfortable. If you have ever been in midtown Manhattan, you know we walk quite a bit here. These socks make every step an aggravation as the sock slides down one's leg.

I am wearing each of these new socks to give them a fair try. So far this week I have worn three pairs, all of which have ended up in the garbage at the end of the day. I would rather wear the heck out of the remaining original Windsor Wool socks I have left than waste any time washing & wearing any of these new ones again.

Congratulations Gold Toe. You succeeded in destroying what was a near perfect sock. Too bad those who were not familiar with the company before it was taken over will never know how good their socks used to be. Do not waste your money on these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot Socks !!!, November 21, 2006
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Amazon notes that these socks are "only made from the finest yarns." They mean it, too! These socks keep your feet warm with their wool fiber; and they are very well made and last forever. I especially like the way that they are reinforced at the heel and toe for lots and lots of wear. Oh sure, these socks may cost a bit more--but you get so much use out of them that these socks inevitably pay for themselves.

The socks also fit any shoe size between 7 and 12; therefore it is almost one size fits all. A big plus! I also like that the toe area is literally made from gold colored fibers. Great!

I would not dry these socks at high temperatures. This could result in the sock becoming too loose on your foot. Eventually they will "bunch up" when you wear them and that's very uncomfortable. Dry these fine socks at a lower temperature.

Overall, you can't go wrong buying these socks. They keep your feet extra warm during colder weather. They are manufactured so well that you definitely get your money's worth. A good deal!

SMILE

1.0 out of 5 stars These socks are horrible, October 8, 2012
I like wearing wool dress socks as I find them far more versatile. I've been wearing Smartwool dress socks for the last decade or so. I've been unhappy as they wear out relatively quickly and they're very expensive. I tried these hoping they would be OK at a lower price point. These did not fit that well, the toe was horrible, and the heel construction stunk. These are uncomfortable old-school dress socks. If you can live with the uncomfortable material and stitching then these are for you. If you want a good comfortable sock then you might want to look elsewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sock Failure, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Gold Toe Men's Windsor Wool Dress Sock, 3-Pack (Apparel)
I should have listened to previous negative reviews. The old version of the Windsor Wool was wonderful! This "updated" version is terrible. Why? Why? Why did Gold Toe discontinue the fantastic Windsor Wool Mid-Calf Sock? I hope they have evough sense to reintroduce it even if it costs a few more dollars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, April 16, 2013
This review is from: Gold Toe Men's Windsor Wool Dress Sock, 3-Pack (Apparel)
Sub-standard product, not the Gold Toe socks I remember. Two of the socks "blew out" within days of wearing. I suspect that this is a fraudulent knock-off of the real product, which used to last. If this is the real product, then Gold Toe no longer maintains any manufacturing standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality!, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Gold Toe Men's Windsor Wool Dress Sock, 3-Pack (Apparel)
I ha ve been wearing the windsor wool socks for many years. My feet perspire more than the average bear, and because of the wool blend, my toesiesare always warm and dry. They also last for years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - the other negative reviews were correct, March 14, 2013
I bought these socks on sale at my local Kohls after reading the reviews, of which I was incorrectly Gold Toe Men's Windsor Wool Dress Sock, 3-Pack skeptical. Since the socks are 60% wool I figured they couldn't be all that bad. But after just putting one pair on I decided to return all of them because they felt too thin - much more so than fluffies - and as another reviewer noted they provide none of the warmth and soft comfort of wool. I hope someone can recommend another suitable sock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid quality product, November 14, 2007
D. Haas (Riverwoods, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I always prefer Gold Toe socks for durability, comfort, and quality. These socks are no different. They stay up, don't pill, and look just as good after numerous washings as they do when they're new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Wool Socks, May 10, 2009
Pat Choux (Abingdon, VA USA) - See all my reviews
These are very good wool socks. There is some pilling depending on the lining of the shoe, but overall they are warm in winter, and wick away moisture in summer. There is just enough stretch to keep them up on the calf without constricting circulation. BTW, for the person looking for a 100% wool sock, it's probably not the ideal sock, since the small amount of nylon added to the yarn prevents holes from developing in the wool too quickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gold Toe quality has tanked; these socks are crap, September 9, 2013
I have 10 year old Gold Toe wool dress socks that are becoming threadbare, but are still comfortable and still stay up.

I have 5 year old Gold Toe wool dress socks that stopped staying up about a year ago.

I have brand-new Gold Toe Windsor Wool socks that will not stay up at all--at 10 am they were bunched around my ankles and toes.

The quality of these socks has been badly debased. Don't buy them.