Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Jet Black|Change

on May 21, 2014
Bought for my boyfriend. The house is no longer filled with gunshots and police sirens. No more military comands followed by loud bangs. No longer do I wake up at 2am from the sound of a hooker's final scream or a tractor trailer truck exploding. There are no more voices of people who are simultaneously in my living room and South Carolina.

A+ product. Highly recommended!
6464 comments|2,463 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
I bought these yesterday and I come from Astro A40's. The setup is a piece of cake and they are super comfortable. For the sound, I read certain reviews complaining about the max volume. Take this into consideration, Battlefield 4 playing at max volume, you stand near a tank or heavy gun fire and your ears will want to explode of how loud and clear the sound is.

Guys, for $100 you get wireless, easy setup, great construction quality, 7.1 surround, custom profiles in the future, think about it. What more can you expect for $100. The other headsets in comparison and 2 to 3 times the price.

If you want something that is good and works and don't want to blow 300, trust me and just buy this. Other reviews that complain about certain things, obviously are not considering the price point and are comparing to headsets that are double and triple the price.
3434 comments|624 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2014
After giving these a good few weeks of playing several titles on the PS4 (Battlefield 4, Resogun, Outlast, Dead Nation, to name a few), I absolutely have enjoyed this set. Notably in BF4 where I could hear more of my surroundings than I could before, specifically the direction of threats and gunfire. The chat is clear, and I have had no complaints from others when I speak, even at just above a whisper when my family is sleeping, also note there is no boom microphone, I couldn't tell you where the mic input is by looking at it. Adjusting between the powerful sound and ability to hear chat clearly takes some trial and error to get to a preferable level. Otherwise, if you have no one to chat with, crank the sound, it's very satisfying to hear and feel the booms. Be careful though, I really cranked these bad boys on day one, I am pretty sure I couldn't hear clearly for a solid few hours, they are powerful.

The included 3.5mm cable can directly connect to your PS4 controller as well, so you won't burn through the battery as quickly, but in turn, you will lose the virtual surround sound. Otherwise, the battery life is well beyond what I expected, I played numerous games over the course of 3-4 hours, and only one bar had depleted according to the pop-up menu when pressing the PS button. Before initial use, I would recommend allowing the set to charge completely before use (about 3 and a half hours).

The included USB charging cable is short, very short, not really viable to play and charge at the same time, but an aftermarket cable can fix that pretty easily.

The buttons allow a lot of flexibility as well, adjusting chat vs. sound volume, an option to turn VSS (Virtual Surround Sound) off and on at the touch of a button, a minor gripe with this is that there is no determining feature to locate the buttons by touch, after some use, you will commit them to memory pretty easy. The simplest way to differentiate them is they are all on the left ear cup the chat/game audio adjustment is on the front, volume control in the back, VSS and the selector switch is around the bottom. A toggle switch allows you to have two separate sound settings programmed directly onto the set, you can have one setup for an FPS game, and the other set for movies, music, etc. Which is nice to change on the fly. Additionally, there is an app you can download from the PS store that allows you to utilize pre-programmed settings for different types of media and uploads them to your set, be aware that the upload feature only works when plugged in with a USB cable. To add to the positives, you can also fine-tune the sound to your liking manually as well with adjustment sliders inside the app.

As bulky and heavy as they look, I was shocked at how lightweight and comfortable they are. I don't consider myself to have large ears, but I can feel the inside of the cups on the top of my ear, but it has never become annoying or painful, so no personal complaints here. Also nice is the matte finish, unless your hands are disturbingly greasy or dirty, you won't be leaving grimey prints on these very easily. The ear-cups also adjust to height as any standard headset will. It is worth mentioning that outside the set, there are two panels where you see the Triangle, Circle, X, and Square symbols are easily removable, whether we see custom panels for these in the future, or the implication is that you can customize them yourself is beyond me, it's a small, but nice cosmetic feature. I could see myself maybe throwing a FoxHound sticker on them, as I am a Metal Gear geek. (Can't wait for Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain!)

With all the good, there is a couple of minor complaints. The sound transmission seems to periodically become interfered with, or drops out. I can't tell where the issue stems from, but sometimes I will have distorted, broken, or scratchy audio. I know that it isn't a distance issue, as I am typically within 5-10 feet from my console at any given time. I thought at first this was purely an issue with Battlefield 4 (given the problems the game has had, it wouldn't have surprised me), but it happened with other titles. This rarely happens, and is a minor annoyance at worst. Another minor complaint is the USB dongle that is required to use with your PS4, you only have two ports as it is, and if you plan to use the headset regularly, you are now down to one. This is still minor unless you rely on the other port to charge your controller.

Overall, this is a great set, and it is difficult to find a VSS headset for the price range. If you're budget conscious like I am, and can only afford to splurge on a new toy periodically or you just want something to keep noise down for roommates and/or family, you can't go wrong with something that has the Playstation stamp of approval.

**UPDATE**: a couple days ago, this set just hit a mont old, there is an aluminum rod that allows free movement to compact into a more storable form factor. I am not rough on this set at all, but the plastic guide on the right earcup has broken. KEEP YOUR RECEIPT!!!
1818 comments|182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2015
Got this for X-mas loved it for 4 months then small cracks developed across the top of headband, then it broke in half soon after, got in touch with Playstation, they will replace it if I had a receipt, I did not as it was a X-mas gift , So I duck taped it, still works great, looks very ugly, but i think it should've lasted more than 4 months. by the way I'm 44 yrs old and take good care of my stuff.
review image
1010 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014
I have been waiting for the official PS4 cans to be released but got sick of the wait and got some Turtle Beach PX4s last month. While the TBs satisfied my desires and more, I didn't expect this headset to blow the TB out of the water! I bought these over the past weekend and am already in love with them.

My expectations admittedly weren't high because of the reasonable price point, but it's obvious Sony really put effort into producing a gaming headset with good sound quality. There will be plenty of professional reviews about quality of sound so I'll leave the technicalities to them, but for gaming this headset will go beyond your needs.

Design:
I'm not a fan of the look at all. When rumors were circulating and pictures were released over the previous months, I was sure they were nothing more than rumors cause why would Sony release a headset so ugly? In person, however, the headset is pretty stylish...weird, I know. Then again, it's not like I'll be looking at the headset while it's on my head anyway!

They are comfortable enough to wear for the entire run of battery life (I've gotten 8 hrs so far) and they charge very quickly (about 45 mins on empty, in my experience). The only downside is the pleather used on the cups themselves don't breathe as well as the TB headsets, but it's by no means a deal breaker. Also, I wear think plastic glasses with these on and there is absolutely no issue whatsoever.

The headset has the ability to fold, which is a great convenience, and comes with a travel case! Setup is nonexistent as all you have to do is plug in the USB "gumstick" and fire up these puppies. Once you do that, they work immediately. The USB stick isn't a distraction, but would have been great if Sony have eliminated the need for it.

Durability:
It's obvious that Sony cut alot of corners to keep the price of the headset down, so in some ways they feel cheap yet sturdy. I wouldn't leave these around very young children if it can be avoided, but they can take some jostling.

Sound:
IMHO the sound is really good. I realize these aren't made to compete with the Boses of the world, so for gaming they're superb. The virtual 7.1 channel surround sound is impressive and effective; markedly better than the PX4s...I mean the difference is night and day! The sound stage feels a bit more natural and less stiff, also you really feel immersed in the game. With the PX4s I could tell someone was around me in BF4 but not where they were...with the Gold's I can tell exactly where they are. Planes flying overhead and boats running nearby are easily detectable. The mic is hidden and works well too; my friends have all mentioned how clear my voice comes through.
You can select "flat" sound by selecting '1' on the headset, or get a bit more low-end effect (LFE, bass) by selecting '2.' With the companion app, see below, '2' sound profile can be replaced with presets from developers.

The controls for the headset are all on the hardware itself, so until you become familiar with where all the buttons are you will have to take them off to see what buttons you're pushing but you'll adjust quickly.

The companion app:

The app was released this week and works as a mixer. It comes with 2 presets for gaming, movies, and music, plus a free preset for you to customize (low, mid, high) in each section for a total of 9 different presets. I am excited to see how they expand the utility of the app.
One thing to keep in mind: the headset and the PS4 don't keep the preset saved so you'll have to "load" it each time you turn on the PS4. A small annoyance but only takes an extra 10 seconds of time.
***Correction: the headset preset does in fact save until it is replaced with another or restored to default. Also, as of this review, the headset must be plugged in to change presets or restore factory defaults.***

I tried to be objective with this review, but I can't help the fact that this headset is so great regardless of price point. I would recommend it to a friend, family, or stranger. If you're on the fence about these just go ahead and get them, break them in for a few hours, then you'll understand!
1515 comments|358 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2015
Just like all the rest of the bad reviews, I only have one complaint, but it's a HUGE complaint when you drop $100 on a headset expecting them to have a lifespan as long as your console. Had these for about six months and then one of the small plastic pieces securing the hinges broke. I take care my things, so I KNOW these were not messed with or under any more stress than usual - simply putting them on and taking them off and ONLY folding them for travel. The sound quality is great, but the chance of this happening are far too great. Although I loved this headset they are bound for the trash and I will NOT be throwing my money away on another pair. I'm extremely disappointed!
review image
1616 comments|202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2015
Well I'm here to say all the overall picture of 4 1/2 stars combined is totally wrong. These headphones are not made well at all. I can speak from experience because both my kids have them and have been through 3 pairs each. The functionality and sound are definitely great.The craftsmanship however here sucks. If you don't treat them like they're made of fine china then they will quickly degrade and break. The real problem is taking them on and off by pulling them outward away from the ears. This is because there is a real weak spot in the sides where the pivot hinge is. The plastic around the steel pins breaks and then it's all over. After buying two replacement pairs I smartened up and bought the replacement plan at Best Buy. Now I bring them back every few months for a new pair. That's the only way to own these. Seriously. I've attached photos to show the nature of the problem. Stay away. Just not worth your hard earned money.
review image review image
88 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2014
I've been using these for a couple of months now. I use them on the PS4 and also on my PC for music. My most recent headphones are the monster turbine in-ear headphones. So keep that in mind, I'm not someone who is use to the junk headphones that come with your i-Pod/i-Phone. I got these because I don't like the headphone cord sticking out of the jack on the bottom of the controller. I think the sound quality of this headset is great, I definitely don't have a single complaint about it.

The quick review is that I really like these headphones, I highly recommended them. You get high quality sound, good bass, wireless connection via USB, they are easy to use and for $100, these are absolutely sweet. I think it'd be hard to beat at that price. I use them whenever I can. I mainly purchased these because they are wireless and my girlfriend doesn't like to be woken up by late night gaming ;) I'll hit some topics in greater detail below. I enjoy the headphones enough to at least address the complaints I've read before and after purchasing them.

I've read people complaining about there not being enough bass with these. There's nothing wrong with the bass in my opinion. I was actually surprised at the amount of bass after I had read the complaints about it before ordering. These days I listen to mostly EDM, dub-step, techno, anything electronic really. I'm very happy with the sound. Now it should also be said that it's not crazy brain shaking, overpowering bass but it's enough. Definitely enough for gaming. I think I'm most impressed with the fact that I have yet to hear that static/crackling/distortion that sometimes follows bass sounds in poor quality headphones. These always sound clear, even at high volumes.

Now people may be experiencing problems with bass in games, not music. It never bothered me but I did find out pretty recently that I was using the PS4 app incorrectly. There are EQs that you can set to increase bass sounds and what not. You have to plug the headphones into the USB and upload the profile for it to work. I didn't know that before and was just selecting what I wanted without plugging it in. I'm not sure if I missed that somewhere or if it just wasn't in the instructions. After reading reviews, I'm obviously not the only one who has done this. Now that I've used the app correctly, there is a difference between the EQs when used. It was good before in my opinion but in-game bass improved after the app was correctly used. The music was good without it and I'm actually not sure if the app even applies when using them with other devices besides the PS4. Also you can only select one EQ at a time. Oh well, not a big deal to me.
**Edit**
The EQ profile that you download from the PS app does continue to work when using the headphones with other devices. In other words, the EQ setting is saved directly on the headphones and works in all situations.
****

There isn't any sound leakage that can be heard by others that is worth complaining about. I asked my girlfriend about it and she can hear the occasional explosion while sitting next to me but nothing major. I expect some leakage with these types of headphones. I definitely can't hear sounds outside of what is playing in the headset, I'm certain on that. Don't plan on having a conversation with others in the room while gaming with these on.

Low volume is another complaint that I can remember reading. I don't think these people have normal hearing. I think the headset gets loud enough for sure. In fact, I often do not have them turned up all the way, explosions are uncomfortable to me at high volumes. I like to play games and music pretty loud, so don't get me wrong. I just have a limit on how loud. I recommend you don't worry about this, these absolutely get loud enough.

I can't comment on the mic. It works, I can hear others clearly, easy to turn on/off and that's all I can say about it. To be honest, I never chat in games. I've found that 90% of the people talking are either annoying or racist and they end up muted lol

**EDIT**
I used these headphones with Google+ video chat for 3 months and the mic worked great. Never had a problem with it. You can also adjust the game volume versus the chat volume via buttons on the headset.
****

The surround sound is cool but don't expect to be able to hear EXACTLY where other players are. This is coming from playing COD and Killzone. I read someone saying he could tell exactly where people were from all angles, high and low, with pinpoint accuracy. He wrote as if he could turn around and shoot the guy pretty much based on sound. This wasn't true for me. I can tell people are close, I can hear them walking from all sides and have a generally good idea of my surroundings. Just don't expect to be able to pinpoint the bad guys with game changing accuracy. Maybe this is a personal issue of mine but I'm happy with the virtual surround sound either way. It's better than normal headphones in this respect. Assassins Creed sounds GREAT and I was very pleased while playing Metal Gear today. Thunderstorms sound awesome in these games. Most people will be satisfied, I know I am.

These are also super easy to use. Literally plug the USB into the PS4 and turn on the headset. The sound turns off on the TV automatically and you're good to go. I have a windows 7 laptop that is a few years old and using the headset on that was just as easy. Plug it in and the drivers install automatically the first time you use it. It really couldn't be easier in my experience. I guess one thing that does suck is that the USB isn't one of those short/micro USB plugs. It sticks out a bit from the front of the PS4. No more than a USB flash-drive does however. And sure, Sony should have added Bluetooth to these but that definitely would have increased the price. I prefer the cheaper price in return for the eyesore. The real question is why isn't the USB a micro one? Not a big deal. It also has an AUX cord connection for when the USB can't be used, like in your phone. I haven't tried that so I have no idea if it sounds different or not.

I haven't experienced a problem with the range of the device or its connectivity. I can walk into the next room and hear music/games still. I haven't really tested exactly how far I can get but I didn't buy these so that I could walk all over the house with them. I can use it around my apartment but it isn't a big place by any means. You shouldn't have a problem, for sure, while gaming in front of the TV. The only time I've ever lost connection was when the battery died. Can't complain!

**Edit**
As far as connection range goes, don't expect to have a stable connection in a different room. The connection has never dropped on me while in the same room as my PS4. However, it will start to lose its connection when you enter a different room. I've learned this after using them at a few different locations.
****

Battery life last long enough, it gets at least most of the 8 hours that are advertised. Just don't forget to plug it back in after you're done! I've had to use it while charging a few times and it worked like usual out of a USB wall charger. Nothing special about the wall charger, just the USB charger I use with my phone. It does not come with one of these and the USB cord that does come with it couldn't be much shorter. The USB port in the headphones is also the same size as the port in the PS controller. So cords that charge your controller will also charge the headset.

Comfort and size isn't a problem for me. Most people will be very satisfied. I have worn them for hours without feeling uncomfortable or warm. I also believe people that complain about the button layout are being a little ridiculous. I'll admit that I had to take them off a few times to find what I was looking for but just like anything new, you'll learn where everything is located.

**EDIT**
Also, I should mention that I now own 2 of these headsets. You can work both headsets at the same time on a single ps4. It's easy to set up. After powering on the headphones, a log in screen appears and you just select which psn account is going to be using the headphones. Now this allows you to play games and share the audio between two different headsets. Again, both players will hear the same audio. Don't expect to play split screen and receive split audio. You can also watch movies and listen to music this way. Now if you want to chat with your friend wearing the second headset, you will have to create a psn party. That usually works well but you will hear yourself talking if you are sitting too close to your friend with the other headset.
*****

Well that was a long review but feel free to ask me questions, I'll respond.
1313 comments|164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 4, 2015
The construction of this headphone sucks. I paid $100 and after 2 months I was playing and when I went to take it of my head the hinge on one side broke, on closer inspection its the plastic that holds the hinge. I take really good care of my stuff and the plastic just cracked. I looked on the other side and it looks like the same thing is happening. Good sound and works great but the construction sucks. The other thing is you have to connect a dongle to the PS4 USB so it takes up one of the ports instead of working using bluetooth. You would figure bluetooth would be built in. I had to put some tape to hold things in place and it works but I can't fold them.

My advice is if you buy these try not fold them and open them every time you put them away then use them. Keep them open.
review image review image review image
on September 1, 2015
**Updated I replaced the ear pads / ear cups**

Ok I know this is like the millionth review on these things but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Overall for the price, I think these are pretty good. They are my first big headphones I've gotten in a while and there's a reason why. Every over the ear headphones I have tried are always uncomfortable to me after extended use. I've used several of my friends before and I don't think I have particularly big ears but they start to hurt after a while. These are no different than the others I have tried in regards to comfort. I think these could use deeper pads or have the option to replace with different pads. So on to pros and cons:

Pro: Easy to set up. Decent battery life. Good sound for the price.

Cons: Wish they had replaceable ear pads in different sizes. Get uncomfortable after a while if you're not use to over the ear headphones.

Overall I would recommend these to a friend based on price and what they offer.

**Update: I replaced the ear pads / ear cups**

Here's how and what cups I got.

I decided to do an experiment and it worked out great! I got these replacement cups:
(Brainwavz Replacement Memory Foam Earpads)

1. Remove the cups by twisting them off. Be careful to twist them off by securely holding the black back plate and not by the headband. While holding the left cup with your left hand, your right hand holds the pad part, twist clockwise. Then reverse for the right cup twisting counter clockwise. See the pics.

2. The next step is to completely remove the old pad. This is the point of no return. It is glued on to the plastic piece you just removed. You need to completely remove it so you have the plastic piece only. Sorry I didn't take a pic of just the plastic piece after I removed the pad.

3. Attach the new pad. These next steps are a little tricky. The pad is going to require a little finagling to get it on but trust me if you got the one in the link, it will fit. You just start on one end and work your way around the cup. There is a little arrow on the inside of the cup that I matched to the seam crease of the new cups.

4. After you pull the new pads on, and this is important, you need to get a sharp knife or razor blade. There are 4 points where the cup attaches to the headset. They all must be exposed so the pad part can twist back onto the headset. Only one part really needs to be cut, the rest you can just move the fabric to expose them. See pic. Cut on the dotted line.

5. Reattach and your done!
review image review image review image review image review image