5.0 out of 5 stars Don Shirley is probably the most gifted pianist ., January 8, 1999
Amazon Customer (Kansas City area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
I have two of his LP's from the 60's, but no longer have a player to play them on. I have been searching for his CD's for along time and I'm so glad I find "Golden Classics" at Amazon.com. Would love to beable to buy the "Don Shirley Trio" and "The Don Shirley Trio in Concert" on CD. He is one of a kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don Shirley, June 11, 2001
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
Being a first time jazz listener (i only have this and two other CD's) I would strongly recommened Golden Classics to anybody, no matter how seasoned they are. Don Shirley is smooth and easy to listen to. His style is great for setting a mood, and the CD combines fast and slow, mellow and exciting. Buy this CD, I gaurentee that it will please you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical piano, January 20, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
Don Shirley is a national treasure. Please tell him that his fans would like to purchase all his music in CD form. Is his still performing and where? I would travel to the ends of the earth to hear him again. Gigi Lodge,

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgetable, September 19, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
It may be that being a Southener, or in particular a Southeast Texan, that I love this music. I have all of Mr. Shirley's "old" LP's, but there's not a groove left on them. I have now nearly burned all the digits off the CD.
As a college student in the '60's, I had a sizable audience to educate. My crowning achievement was the night Don Shirley came for a one-night-stand on campus. It was a Saturday and it ran concurrently with a football game. The music theater had people to the rafters and the ball game was almost empty. It was standing room only and folding chairs had to be put all over the stage and in any other available crack.
Years later, friends of mine in NY, NY found Don in the Village playing in a small nightclub. They told him about me and he sent me a personal autograph. It is a true treasure. I hope this generation discovers this re-release. It (soundwise) is, of course, much better than the original

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more Shirley recordings put onto CD -- in fact, all!, April 3, 1999
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
This was the first CD I purchased through Amazon.com, and at that time did not want to take the time to write a review since no one else had (at that time) and I thought I might be alone in my affection (need for!) more Don Shirley music. Now I see there are 15 reviews. I'm not alone after all! We need more of Don Shirley's recordings released on CD! I think he was one of the great performers of his time, and this recording is an excellent illustration of his artistry. By the way, I think I read that he died in 1998. I hope I'm wrong. One final note -- if anyone sees other CD's of Don Shirley music, I would certainly like to know about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more from the old cadence series! Great record., January 27, 1999
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
I was introduced to Don Shirley by an english teacher in the middle '50's. I have every recording he made and have been searching for discs for years. This is an excellent introduction, but there is a considerable body of work that should be remastered and put out in digital form. I saw him once on the Arthur Godfrey show and have lost track of him. Is he still alive and performing? If so, where?

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing music from a truly gifted man!, April 7, 1999
grambc@SkyBest.com (Mountains of North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
Like many others, I had every album I could get my hands on, wore them just about through, and now I have no player to listen to their brilliance...even through the scratchiness. I have missed this music, and I am so pleased to have it again and to be able to share it with a NEW audience, my kids and their children. Now I NEED the Gospel According To Don Shirley...anyone else? Thanks Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars A good recording of his "greatest hits"., December 19, 1998
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
Don Shirley albums are my most treasured, and most worn. He works magic with jazz, gospel, and classical components. You will get goose-bumps when you listen. I have been lucky to find a number of his records, but would like to hear others. Anyone that knows of a likely source please e-mail me. Does anyone know if he can be reached or if he still performs? Thanks, and enjoy a true master!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever!, July 3, 2014
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
By far, the best I have listened to In a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars sharonl923@aol.com, June 5, 2013
Sharon Levenstein (Boynton Beach, florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Classics (Audio CD)
I had this album when I was much younger in an LP. it is just as wonderful hearing it now as it was all those years ago.

Golden Classics
Golden Classics by Don Shirley (Audio CD - 1997)
Rate and Discover Movies