Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 13, 2006
This CD has 18 cuts from Don Shirley & The Don Shirley Trio on it. I wish it had two discs so it could have another 18 cuts. From the first time I ever heard "Water Boy" in the early 60's I have been hooked, Don (piano and arrangements, Ken Fricker, bass fiddle & drums and Juri Taht, cello, have had me in their corner.

If you like piano, pop, jazz or just instrumental aural magic, this CD is a rare treat (like a no-cal cheesecake). Enjoy, Bruce
on January 8, 1999
I have two of his LP's from the 60's, but no longer have a player to play them on. I have been searching for his CD's for along time and I'm so glad I find "Golden Classics" at Amazon.com. Would love to beable to buy the "Don Shirley Trio" and "The Don Shirley Trio in Concert" on CD. He is one of a kind.
on June 11, 2001
Being a first time jazz listener (i only have this and two other CD's) I would strongly recommened Golden Classics to anybody, no matter how seasoned they are. Don Shirley is smooth and easy to listen to. His style is great for setting a mood, and the CD combines fast and slow, mellow and exciting. Buy this CD, I gaurentee that it will please you!
on January 20, 1999
Don Shirley is a national treasure. Please tell him that his fans would like to purchase all his music in CD form. Is his still performing and where? I would travel to the ends of the earth to hear him again. Gigi Lodge,
on September 19, 1998
It may be that being a Southener, or in particular a Southeast Texan, that I love this music. I have all of Mr. Shirley's "old" LP's, but there's not a groove left on them. I have now nearly burned all the digits off the CD.
As a college student in the '60's, I had a sizable audience to educate. My crowning achievement was the night Don Shirley came for a one-night-stand on campus. It was a Saturday and it ran concurrently with a football game. The music theater had people to the rafters and the ball game was almost empty. It was standing room only and folding chairs had to be put all over the stage and in any other available crack.
Years later, friends of mine in NY, NY found Don in the Village playing in a small nightclub. They told him about me and he sent me a personal autograph. It is a true treasure. I hope this generation discovers this re-release. It (soundwise) is, of course, much better than the original
on April 3, 1999
This was the first CD I purchased through Amazon.com, and at that time did not want to take the time to write a review since no one else had (at that time) and I thought I might be alone in my affection (need for!) more Don Shirley music. Now I see there are 15 reviews. I'm not alone after all! We need more of Don Shirley's recordings released on CD! I think he was one of the great performers of his time, and this recording is an excellent illustration of his artistry. By the way, I think I read that he died in 1998. I hope I'm wrong. One final note -- if anyone sees other CD's of Don Shirley music, I would certainly like to know about it.
on January 27, 1999
I was introduced to Don Shirley by an english teacher in the middle '50's. I have every recording he made and have been searching for discs for years. This is an excellent introduction, but there is a considerable body of work that should be remastered and put out in digital form. I saw him once on the Arthur Godfrey show and have lost track of him. Is he still alive and performing? If so, where?
on April 7, 1999
Like many others, I had every album I could get my hands on, wore them just about through, and now I have no player to listen to their brilliance...even through the scratchiness. I have missed this music, and I am so pleased to have it again and to be able to share it with a NEW audience, my kids and their children. Now I NEED the Gospel According To Don Shirley...anyone else? Thanks Amazon
on December 19, 1998
Don Shirley albums are my most treasured, and most worn. He works magic with jazz, gospel, and classical components. You will get goose-bumps when you listen. I have been lucky to find a number of his records, but would like to hear others. Anyone that knows of a likely source please e-mail me. Does anyone know if he can be reached or if he still performs? Thanks, and enjoy a true master!
on February 17, 1999
I wore out a seat at the bar in Mr. Kelly's listening to Don Shirley (late 1950's) when both of us were young in Chicago. I wore out all my 33,s listening to them through the years. I finally found this CD. I will probably wear it out. Please Mr. Shirley, lets have more. Your are like no other and you owe it to us now that you have us hooked.