Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Golden
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

Country trio Lady Antebellum have sculpted a fine career for themselves over the year. After multiple Grammys and continued commercial success, the trio haven't attempted to shake up their sound because, honestly, why should they? "If Ain't Broke, don't fix it" right? Because of this philosophy, Golden is merely a good album, but not an exciting or innovative one. This is an album that should be 'just what the doctor ordered' to Lady A fans, but to more casual listeners, may not strike an earth-shattering chord. The standard cues are always in place: beautiful vocal blend between Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott and alternation of the lead, songwriting/guitar contributions from Dave Haywood, and somewhat conservative, thoughtful production work.

"Get To Me" opens solidly, but it isn't exceptionally engaging. It does the 'expected', but just leaves the desire to take things up a notch. "Goodbye Town" falls into a similar boat, this time with Charles Kelly handling lead duties. The biggest detraction with "Goodbye Town" is that it feels as if it will never end. At the end, Kelley is given too much free time to ad lib unnecessarily. Things look up with the proceeding trio of "The First Time", "Downtown" and "Better Off Now (That You're Gone)", which are stronger. Sure, the formula remains much the same, but all three cuts seem to have more polish than either "Get To Me" or "Goodbye Town" did.

"It Ain't Pretty" is pretty good, summed up by lyric "It ain't pretty when a heart breaks", but still it doesn't ruffle many feathers. "Can't Stand The Rain" remains conservative in sound, though grows in intensity on the chorus. "With arms open wide / I'll be your umbrella when you just can't stand the rain...", Kelly/Scott sing on the chorus. It's a path already tread and somewhat schmaltzy, but its pleasant enough and the band seems sincere. "Golden" proves to be a lovely title track, only to be followed up by a less memorable "Long Teenage Goodbye". The problem with "Long Teenage Goodbye" is that there is not enough 'attitude' from Scott; perhaps slightly more exciting and assertive vocals could've made the track a more memorable one. "All For Love" like many cuts is good, not breathtaking while penultimate cut "Better Man" atones somewhat, even if the theme seems recycled many times over. Closer "Generation Away" has many things going for it, including is rhythmic nature and the use of organ, But things get a bit corny with an unnecessary lift of spiritual "He's Got The Whole World in His Hands"; it just misses the mark a bit.

Ultimately, Golden is an album that die-hard Lady Antebellum fans will find as enjoyable as the trios others albums. To those less devoted or invested in the trio, Golden is more average. I fNeed You Now is considered the trio's last 'home run' Own The Night was good, but not as strong as it. Golden falls inline with Own The Night, but may is arguably even less memorable. There's nothing wrong with averageness, but Lady Antebellum may want to invest in more engaging and exciting material in the future. 3 stars.
on May 8, 2013
The songs play like a 45-minute daze of professional country pop. Nothing really memorable, even the recent #1 hit "Downtown" feels a bit watered down. Lady A plays it safe first and foremost. Not too much country, just enough to keep country radio playing them. Just enough pop to nearly soften out any hard edges, and turn Lady A into a borderline country/soft rock band.

While nothing on this CD is bad, nothing is really memorable, either. I think Lady A needs to take more chances on future releases, or risk giving up country radio for AC (adult contemporary) radio.

Edit: It's now 6 months since my initial review, and while I generally stand by it, I would like to add that this CD has grown on me, and even though it borders on AC, it's so well done that it's hard to complain about it. So much so, that I have increased my review from 3 to 4 stars.
on May 9, 2013
I am just going to write my overall review and not go through track-by-track, at least not at this time. My initial opinion is that this album feels rushed and incomplete. The songs feel incomplete and in a flash the album is over before you knew it begun, and without any spine tingling moments! They build towards climax without satisfactory release. Barely a song over 4 minutes, nothing that pushes the limits, everything feels like a safe bet, status quo.

In my opinion, ALL FOR LOVE and IT AIN'T PRETTY are the best tracks on the album. However, they are crazy short. IT AIN'T PRETTY has potential, but the plot of the song never really develops, one minute she is driving to the bar, the next she is calling a cab and doing the walk of shame. The song builds and climaxes withing two minutes, my girlfriend wouldn't put up w/ that, and neither should we!

The vocals and guitar are the strong points. Hillary and Charles' chemistry is nothing short of amazing, as it always is. The Album would thrive best live...but as a standalone work, I am afraid GOLDEN will quickly get lost among 2013's Brilliant releases such as THE BAND PERRY'S:PIONEER and TIM MCGRAW'S: TWO LANES TO FREEDOM.
on May 13, 2013
My husband is a huge fan of Lady Antebellum. He thinks the group, especially the female singer, are the very best country singers and he loves the stories they tell in their music. This CD was a disappointment to him and to me. Not bad, just not as good as their other CD's.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 22, 2015
Lady Antebellum's fourth album Golden is another good one! I will admit it took me a couple times listening through all of the songs to really get a grasp on how I felt about it. Unlike their previous releases, Golden seems more mellow with the exception of a couple uptempo tracks such as "Downtown." This isn't to say Golden isn't worth listening to; on the contrary, it shows Lady A's more subdued side of their music. The vocals and instrumentals are excellent as always but this album doesn't seem to have the energy that their other CDs have. If you are a fan of Lady A, I would still highly recommend Golden!
on June 11, 2013
I always love everything Lady A puts out there but this one is really fantastic. There is a great variety of songs, different tempos, upbeat ones, ballads, the way Charles and Hillary use their voices alone and together is amazing. The differnt stories or words in the songs all vary so much too but all have great meaning for both the younger and older crowd, at least I think so. The music played by Dave is phenomenal,as always. Each CD just keeps getting better and better. It's obvious since you keep winning awards. I am so glad I have this CD and really don't think I have ever heard one song I didn't like on any CD. Kudos to you guys for another job well done---keep them coming. I know you will be taking time off soon and you will be missed but you deserve it and I know you will continue to write great songs and need some down time and time with the family. Can't wait to hear what you turn out next. Hillary best of luck for a quick and safe delivery and a healthy baby. If you need a nurse, I used to be an L&D nurse for quite a few years and worked with preemies and regular newborns so if you need a sitter, I'm all yours-----lol! Again, God Bless and remember to relax but an epidural can be a good thing too---ha,ha!!!! I know, went through it 3 times myself. You will do fine. Will keep you in my prayers. Just think of the great songs this baby will inspire you to write------if she hasn't done so already! :-)
Hope you come back to the New Jersey area when you,re back to touring again. Saw you at RCMH in NYC in May 2012, could have listened to you all night.
Love ya,
Barbara
on February 11, 2014
I am a recent convert to Lady Antebellum, one of those who picked up Own The Night to see what all the fuss was about. I found that album to be so engaging and several of the songs so well written and delivered, that I have since bought their other albums as well. This is a band with a clear arc, improving through their first three releases and convincing me that I probably like Country music as a genre more than I ever expected to. And then there's Golden. It is not bad, but for me fits somewhere between Lady Antebellum and Need You Now... without the sophistication of Own The Night. It feels (hopefully) like the first time that they rushed an album to get it out in time for maternity leave and (hopefully not) like a band getting old, sold on their own success, or straight up lazy. Downtown is fun and perky, but feels a little forced and not free-wheeling like Friday Night. Long Teenage Goodbye is one of my favorites, but lacks the punch of Wanted You More. Obviously, these are different songs, but nothing on Golden feels like they're upping their game... it all sounds like lesser versions of songs they've already done. In the end, I still enjoy listening to it, but I wanted more and with their last two releases, I had gotten used to getting it.
on July 23, 2014
Posting reviews for others (RE: Amazon) to make money off of sucks. They expect my pithy retorts to make others plop down their hard earned $$$$ and give me nothing in return for my time spent writing ---- well, almost nothing --- You give me your thumbs up saying "Yeah, Your opinion matters". I feel so warm and fuzzy inside now knowing that You've clicked your approval at me.

If you like the artist, just buy the album.... who ever bothers reading these dumb self-promoting, badly spelled, and grammatically incorrect reviews anyway? (Unless maybe it's to groan at how bad our English has become with the younger crowd.)

It's music. Either you like, love it, or hate it. My tastes aren't your tastes... and if you're really here trying to decide whether spending $5 to buy songs you already know by heart anyway... then you're simply wasting your time. Just buy it and enjoy what you've gained.

SImple as that.
on May 7, 2013
This is yet another great fourth studio album by the very successful and popular country-pop trio Lady Antebellum. The 7 times Grammy Award winners had a X-mas album (covers) in 2012 titled 'On This Winter's Night'. Fans have waited since their 2011 CD release 'Own The Night' for new material. The new CD release is titled 'Golden' (12 new tracks) and the trio has decided to use less instruments during the recording process : but their music is still sound great despite this change from this talented bunch.

Stand-outs/gems/my favourites are "Nothin' Like The First Time" (wonderful melody & vocals; great guitar & drums playing), "Better Off Now (That You're Gone)", "Long Teenage Goodbye" (mid-tempo track with great melody) & "Better Man" (beautiful guitar work & melody). Good tracks include the opening track "Get To Me" (great harmonies), "Goodbye Town" (this is the second single from this album), "It Ain't Pretty" (slow-tempo track), "Can't Stand The Rain", "Golden" (slow-tempo-ed title track) & the closing track "Generation Away". Okay tracks are "Downtown" (this is the first single) & "All For Love".

On overall, Lady Antebellum does not disappoint in this new CD release 'Golden', great compositions, execution and production. A recommended CD listening.
on December 25, 2013
"Compass" is only included in the deluxe edition. This is a ridiculous concept to those of us who bought the album when it first came out. The only way to get those new songs now is to pay $1.29 per download or to repurchase the album for six new songs. I had that Lady A has taken this path, it is a manner of doing business that real fans will not forget .............