5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book about the history of Little Golden Books
Published on November 20, 2007 by Christina Lockstein

3.0 out of 5 stars A nice history of Golden Books
I ordered this book because I worked for the company for 5 years and so I had a special interest in the subject. Honestly, I can't imagine why anyone else would have a burning interest in the subject. Too bad I wasn't able to read the book before I went to work for the company...I would have known who was most important there and why. In any case, I liked the book but am...
Published on February 8, 2008 by Doting grandma

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book about the history of Little Golden Books, November 20, 2007
This review is from: Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became An American Icon Along the Way (Deluxe Golden Book) (Hardcover)
Golden Legacy by Leonard S. Marcus is the story of Little Golden Books. How did they come to be, how did they change the market for children's books, whose careers did it start up, etc. I don't think I could gush enough about this book. It's absolutely beautiful. Marcus tells the story of the Western Publishing Company out of Racine, Wisconsin from its earliest beginnings. This small company started out just as printers but when the publishing company they printed a lot of books for collapsed, Western bought them out and embarked upon their colorful and successful career in children's books. The book is filled with breathtaking illustrations; it reminded me of everything that I loved about Little Golden Books as a little girl. And who doesn't have a favorite Little Golden Book? I think every child for the last 65 years has been impacted by these books. My mom still collects Eloise Wilkin books. My favorites were The Golden Egg Book by Margaret Wise Brown and The Bunny Book by Richard Scarry. LGBs changed the children's book market by selling beautiful books for a price that parents could afford to purchase. At a quarter a piece, every child could own at least one, which encouraged reading at home. The books were also focused on the idea of writing for children about Here and Now as opposed to fairy tales. There are tales of the discovery of Richard Scarry and Gustaf Tenggren, and current children's authors as interviewed as to how LGBs impacted their lives and art. This would make a great Christmas present for any book collector, especially boomers who will be thrilled to see pictures from their childhood. As for me, it reminded me of the joy I found in these books as a child, and I've officially added them to my daughter's Christmas list.

5.0 out of 5 stars We don't forget our first books, January 5, 2008
This is the most enchanting book I've had in my hands in a very long time. I was at a dinner party recently and GOLDEN LEGACY was on the coffee table -- for about thirty seconds. All evening it went from hand to hand, with squeals and sighs following it around the room. I had to have it.

The text is a fascinating history of Little Golden Books, first published in Racine, Wisconsin during the Second World War. What a visionary leap -- affordable quality books for children, with great production values and marketed everywhere. Yet the Western Publishing Company was originally a printing company; when they got stuck with railroad cars full of children's books due to a publisher's bankruptcy, the company sold them directly. The books sold well, the company directors were inspired to publish more, and the rest is history. You can read all about it if you buy this book, which is bound to be of interest to book collectors, readers interested in cultural history, and nostalgic baby boomers.

Just as absorbing as the text, the illustrations are an astonishing collection of history. If you ever had Little Golden Books, or bought them for a lucky child, you'll be sighing with happy recollections as you leaf through these pages. We don't forget our first books, and you'll see old favorites and smile at the memories they evoke.

GOLDEN LEGACY honors the 65th anniversary of Little Golden Books, and I recommend it to anyone whose love of books was fostered by a collection of these 25 cent treasures.

Linda Bulger, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, November 8, 2007
I am so glad I purchased this book. I bought it sight unseen directly from Amazon and was amazed when I received it. It is a coffee table book with wonderful history of Little Golden Books. The title says "how golden books won children's hearts" - This book will win your heart. It is a must buy for all of your history nuts -- especially if you are a biblioholic! I give this book my highest recommendation!

5.0 out of 5 stars A lavishly illustrated celebration of our collective childhood, February 4, 2008
For the last 65 years, children have grown up on The Poky Little Puppy, The Color Kittens, The Saggy Baggy Elephant, Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever, dozens of other Golden Books titles. To celebrate the legacy of this innovative publishing venture, Leonard S. Marcus has released the art book "Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became an American Icon Along the Way." The collection is not only an exquisitely beautiful celebration of our collective childhood, but the rich history of the publishing company that changed the face of literacy in America.

The first Golden Books, published in 1942, were distributed through supermarket chains at a retail price of 25 cents. At the time, paper shortages had increased the average cost of children's picture books to $2, putting them financially out of reach for many consumers. Librarians initially resisted the mass-produced books with a place to draw your name inside, but parents could purchase a title a week, children could devour the books on the go like any other toy, and television and cartoon marketers quickly seized cross-promotional opportunities. Golden Books succeeded at their goal of democratizing reading and personal book ownership for families across America.

Given that this title was published by Golden Books, the overall tone is rather celebratory, but author Marcus does not censor all detractors. He covers the controversial flat fee payments to the creative talents behind early titles. Those authors and illustrators have received no residuals from books which are still bestsellers today, 65 years later.

A 2007 copy of The Poky Little Puppy is nearly identical to the original 1942 edition that launched a publishing empire. After reading Golden Legacy, the reader may well be inspired to seek out copies of both for his or her personal library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden Moments, December 18, 2007
I bought this book for my daughter who grew up on Golden Books and she loved it! The cover illustrations brought her back to those days of being read to and feeling the warmth and love of family. I, too, have my own collection of Golden Books and can't wait to read the book as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for remembering Grace Clarke, April 12, 2012
JAD (The Sunshine State) - See all my reviews
A wonderful summary and celebration of the magical world of Golden Books. Thanks so much for remembering Grace Clarke and her contributions to their success.

5.0 out of 5 stars No serious collector's library should be without it., January 4, 2008
While this reference was published by the children's arm of Random House, it's reviewed here for its interest to any collector of Golden Books who wants more than a price guide. GOLDEN LEGACY: HOW GOLDEN BOOKS WON CHILDREN'S HEARTS, CHANGED PUBLISHING FOREVER, AND BECAME AN AMERICAN ICON ALONG THE WAY is so much more: it offers a history of the company, its line of books, and those authors and illustrators who created Golden Books, providing the background and depth needed to understand their value. No serious collector's library - especially those catering to Golden Books collectors - should be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A special treasure, July 8, 2014
I have so many memories of reading Golden Books as a child, and this book has such amazing information about them. It was fascinating to see the pictures and find out the background about the different authors and illustrators. Everyone who comes to my house picks it up to look at it. Definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars western publishing golden books, January 7, 2009
my wife and I are both from Racine Wi where these books were first published. My wife is an avid collector of these books and its great to get some background on the diffrent authors who created these books.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent history and review of one of the best series ..., December 29, 2014
An excellent history and review of one of the best series of products ever published for young children.
My family grew up with these books. This lovely volume has given me a new appreciation for them and answers
many questions about their development and all the talented people involved in their creation.
The books were just a part of our lives when we were a young family, and I think we took them for granted.
As I am now a great grandmother, I appreciate the books even more as I realize what a truly great product
they were for young children. It was indeed the "Golden" age of affordable and readily available high quality content
picture books for children.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›