5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!
Published on February 6, 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Golden Lies
Published on March 5, 2012 by Laura Lien

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational!, February 6, 2004
By A Customer
I am a big Barbara Freethy fan and ordered this one early in eager anticipation of another good story. What I got instead was a GREAT story. I absolutely loved this book -- couldn't put it down. The premise of an ancient Chinese dragon being publicly valued on an Antique Roadshow type of program hooked me at once. I don't want to give away too much, but what happens to everyone involved with that dragon is a fascinating story --actually mutiple stories that all come together at the end. I loved the San Francisco setting, especially the scenes in Chinatown. And I have to admit I did not know how this one was going to end -- how all those seemingly disparate stories would converge -- and I was on the edge of my seat until I got there. What a fabulous journey it was! I cannot recommend this book too highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, April 3, 2006
Barbara Freethy is an amazing storyteller and I found it hard to put the book down. This book opens with Riley McAllister and his grandmother going to an antique show with an assortment of items from her attic. A bronze dragon catches the eye of the appraisers and eventually leads them to the House of Hathaway and Hathaway heir, Paige Hathaway. The dragon appears to be not only priceless, but powerful as it leads Riley and Paige to Alyssa Chen and the three discover how their lives are entwined and their families have more secrets in common than they could ever imagine. The audio version is well done by Julia Gibson.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Barbara Freethy book, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Golden Lies (Kindle Edition)
I bought this for a whole .99 cents , i read the reviews, downloaded it onto my kindle. After reading several of Scott Nicholson short stories i figured i needed something a little milder & softer. This was perfect, a touch of romance with family lies, and a Chinese twist. Thoroughly enjoyed this book, as mentioned in my title this was my first Barbara Freethy book, now that i have gotten a taste of her great writing, i will be reading another one her books as soon as i can.

3.0 out of 5 stars Golden Lies, March 5, 2012
Laura Lien (SALEM, OREGON, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Lies (Kindle Edition)
I have read a couple of Barbara Freethy books and found them to be ok but nothing I would rave about. There are parts of the book that really holds my interest but there are many that I feel I have to drudge through to get to the meaty parts. I don't feel like I really get to know the characters like I do with some other authors, such as Diane Chamberlain. They're just names on a page and easily forgotten. As I said, it was ok and the price was good.

3.0 out of 5 stars really a 2.5, August 22, 2011
This review is from: Golden Lies (Kindle Edition)
I thought for .99 i would try a new mystery author. I did not realize there was so much romance involved. Situated in san francisco, i thought this was the perfect new author book. I enjoyed the mystery but, the book was way too mushy for me

2.0 out of 5 stars I got what I paid for. . ., March 30, 2012
This review is from: Golden Lies (Kindle Edition)
I was looking for a cheapie book for my kindle and this one had an interesting recap and mostly positive reviews, so I spent the big bucks (less than 2 of them) to download this. It is not horrible, I did actually finish the whole book. But in my opinion, it is just not written very well. When I am reading a really good book, I get wrapped up in the story, the characters come to life. When I read this book, I noticed every painstakingly pointless description of what characters looked like and what they were wearing, and how sexy they looked in whatever they had on. Yes, I know that character description is important, but it should be seamlessly written into the story - I shouldn't cringe while I am reading it. It was awkward writing - just not very good. Nothing I would recommend or read again, and I most certainly would not read anything else this author wrote.

3.0 out of 5 stars My attention is wandering, March 30, 2012
This review is from: Golden Lies (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy most of this authors books, so eagerly picked up this one, the price was right too! This is not one of her best stories. It dragged in places and I found myself losing attention and interest. I felt the chemistry was forced between the two leading characters, and actually was far more interested in the lives of a secondary couple. This book felt long and ultimately unsatisfying in my opinion, try something else from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden Lies, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Golden Lies (Kindle Edition)
This was very well written and the plot was very original. I enjoyed it very much and would read additional books by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, April 14, 2011
Barbara Freethy does a great job of hooking you in to her stories immediately in the beginning and keeping you hooked throughout the whole story. Fast moving from beginning to end. I'm learning a great deal about northern California and the San Francisco area where she sets a lot of her books. Her characters are flawed human beings in many ways but always interesting. I gave this book four stars only because it didn't have the emotional depth of her Daniel's Gift. It was also inexpensive to purchase for my Kindle, which I really liked.Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology

4.0 out of 5 stars another lovely story, March 21, 2004
I am a big fan of Barbara Freethy. I have almost all of her books -- except one -- and she never fails me. I think Ms. Freethy has changed a bit of her style starting with "Summer Secrets". She adds more suspense to her story. And I enjoyed it.
I can't say that it's her best -- my favorite is still "Just the Way You Are" ... in some scenes I think the 2 main character just fight too much. However, Ms. Freethy handles it nicely. Plus, all the scenes about San Fransisco is very vivid and make it wonderful to read.

Golden Lies