5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a toy that's pink but not soul crushing!
I gave Goldie Blox to my amazing little nieces (ages 6 & 8) and they are huge Goldie fans now. They read the story and were so excited to start building that I couldn't get the bits unwrapped fast enough. They loved how they could build something that worked like it did in the story. (And it did actually work!) I visited them them about a week later and they had been...
Published 20 months ago by Best Auntie Ever

I love the idea behind this toy, but the execution falls flat. Here are pros and cons;

Pros:
1) Great idea/concept of matching story with the toy
2) Manual toy - no electricity or batteries involved. Forces kids to be proactive

Cons:
Published 16 months ago by Ajaxtelamona

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising idea but poor quality and disappointing as is. It's not a Lego alternative, August 20, 2013
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)

Pros:
1) Great idea/concept of matching story with the toy

Cons:
1) Poorly made - I don't know if this is a Q.C. problem (it's made in China) or just a bad design. The figures that you put on top of the yellow wheels do not fit snugly, so with the force of turning the wheels, they always fall off unless you pull the ribbon very carefully and slowly

2) Same problem with the handle - it does not fit snugly so cranking the wheels to wind up the ribbon is very frustrating process. The handle keeps coming off.

3) The story in the accompanying book is poorly written, contrived and frankly embarrassing to read out aloud. eg. The dog named "Nacho" who is not looking quite so "macho" squeals"Chorizo". Or when Goldie runs into a problem, she tries to solve the problem by thinking outside the box - "she even tries doing hula dances in hopes it will improve her chances" (direct quote from the book) This is no "Goodnight Moon" - Couldn't they have come up with better rhyme and stories...? I can't imagine anybody wanting to read this book more than once.

4) The actual toy is very limited in how to play. It is basically turning a wheel with a ribbon that is attached by a velcro. You get to choose the figures you want to put on the top of the wheel and the pattern you want to make by strategically placing the wheels on the board. In theory, you are suppose to be able to make various shapes such as crown, gingerbread man, lightning bolt,sand castle, happy face, mushroom, letter "L" and "G" etc. etc, but the board is about 10"x10" and the actual "play" area is even smaller than that (about 7.5"x7.5") There are only 5 wheels so most of the complicated shapes end up looking the same or indistinguishable. Also the more elaborate the shape, the more you end up using the ribbon (because of winding it through each wheels) and shorter the spinning time.

5) The spinning time is over in 3-5 seconds. (Yes it is that short!)

6) At over $30 (including tax) this item is way over priced for what it is. You are paying more for the novelty and the idea.

So with all the Cons outweighing the Pros, I'm still giving this three stars because I think the idea is good and promising. I think if they were to continue this series going vertical and horizontal (making Ferris Wheel for example with interchangeable parts and figures), it could become more interesting and maybe worth the price.

Finally, this is entertaining for my two year old daughter but I find it hard to believe that anyone over 6 years old can be entertained by this for more than 15 minutes, and come back to play this over and over again. Much as this has been compared to Lego, this is no Lego alternative.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like this, but here are some better options, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
I really wanted to like this sooooo much!

Positives:
-1 star for the idea of creating something that was meant to inspire girls to ponder the STEM career fields and having some great viral marketing videos

Negatives:
-Poor quality for price
-Save some dusty shelf space: it really just does one thing and after one use (maybe two) nobody wants to play with it any more
-Really doesn't inspire creativity or "engineering" skills, no room for thinking outside the box
-If we are trying to empower girls, why does it have to be pink and purple?
-A thin Caucasian blonde wearing short shorts and a PINK toolbelt? Really?

If you want something to inspire your kids to actually learn something, and be creative "engineers" try these much better options:

Gears %C2%AE Beginners Building Set
Snap Circuits Jr SC 100 Kit

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the hype, November 21, 2013
Fred "Technology is your friend." (CHAPEL HILL, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
When you click a single star it says, "I hate it" - my daughter didn't love it, and I'm really tired of the hype and over exposure. Today, Nov. 21, I got an email from Goldie Blox asking me to write a review (this is my second).

Context:
- I did the Kickstarter.
- I saw the toy in stores before I got it from them.
- Had to hassle them to get my order.
- My daughter (4) played with it for half an hour, it took a lot of encouragement, as the game itself isn't really that well made. Maybe it is targeted towards an older demographic, but my 7 year old son who also loves all things mechanical, wasn't that enthralled.
- The kids' favorite part were the figurines.
- I get email after email from them - even after having hit 'unsubscribe' many, many times.
- It is a lot of hype without a lot of play value. Their roadmap for other things they are coming out with looks similarly unimpressive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and over priced, November 22, 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
My 5 year old got this as a present. We did the story once and she was bored. You can make the animals spin with a ribbon and the change the shapes they sit in. I don't think she learned anything from this toy and was bored very quickly by it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money- get some magna tiles instead, November 26, 2013
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
I won't rehash all the other negative reviews. It is the same as what everyone has said: cheaply made, very poor and stereotypical "girl" design, extremely limited in what it can do, and it does not encourage my daughter at all to think outside the box. It is strip of Velcro, board, pegs and some figurines.

I was part of the kick starter as well and very excited for this. And now extremely letdown. And paid way too much for it!

If you are looking for a toy to encourage your child, (boy or girl) to create and build things, by some magnatiles. My daughter loves them. She never gets tired of building things with them and thinks of new things all the time. And they are gender-neutral.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs another dimension. :(, July 20, 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
We have been so excited to open and play with this toy. I have a mechanical engineering degree and was thrilled to purchase this for my 6yo daughter. I guess I didn't realize that all you can do is rearrange the pieces to make the little figurines spin. It needs some other dimension than just changing the route of the spinning. Maybe a piece that adds a vertical dimension or something? Not sure how long this will keep my little ones attention and at this price, the pieces are a little flimsy.

Disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars all hype. massive disappointment., July 24, 2013
P. Nguyen (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
The hypes about this product, designed by female engineer to inspire girls to be engineers/mathematicians, far exceed the actual usability of the product. I literally cannot understand the 4- or 5- star reviews.

I am an engineer and I do want my daughter to be interested in engineering/math. From an engineering standpoint, this is an exceptionally poorly designed product. The axle/pegs can stick pretty tightly in the pegboard, causing difficulty removing them. All those little axles standing up on the board is a hazard. Image your child running around, trip & fall face down on the board. Serious injuries can result from this. The animal figurines do not sit securely on the wheels; they pop out rather easily. Same thing with the crank, resulting in lots of frustration. The cube blocks don't do a good job of holding the axle. The ribbon limits the fun factor and ease of creating more complex designs. The list goes on. Initially, my daughter was VERY excited to play with this set; however, her excitement evaporated quickly due to these short comings.

Recommendation: no purchase. get the T&K physics set, T&K CHEM C1000, Snap Circuits, Be Amazing big bag of science, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simple, boring, over-hyped, will NOT make an engineer out of your daughter, November 20, 2013
D. Yap (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
Are we saying that girls, even very young girls (it's recommended for ages 6-9), are not able to engage with creative building toys like Legos without it being wrapped in pink, purple, puppies, kittens and a cute story and instructions book? An interview with the founder reveals her motivation:

"Girls like to read, they like to tell stories."

Really? Just like girls like pink and princesses? I don't think this game deserves the praise it's getting. Its existence is almost like saying that all other building toys are for boys, and here's your game, girls. Here it is -- it has ribbons and a story book!

I guarantee that if you start a child (of any gender) on Legos as soon as they know enough not to swallow them, they'll play, build, create. Without any need to pander to gendered stereotypes. This toy will send your daughter the wrong message: that this is a toy for girl engineers and that girl engineers need to play with different toys than boy engineers. This is her little corner, and she doesn't get to play with the building toys that actually cultivate innovation and problem solving skills.

The toy itself involves basically no creativity (just follow instructions), and no problem solving that would be interesting to even a mildly intelligent child of 6-9 years. Your daughter will probably be bored within 15 minutes, and even while she's interested, the game is frustrating in its poor construction: characters don't stay on, the crank comes out easily and his hard to turn, there's barely enough ribbon for a fun amount of cranking. It is very limited, and you're better off finding your daughter something that isn't full of cute animals and pink ribbons.

1.0 out of 5 stars Our girls are worth so much more than this!, November 27, 2013
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
I had a great desire to help support any and all businesses encouraging young girls to be creative, think outside the box, and use engineering skills in their play. What I didn't expect was some threading spools, a few dowels, a peg board, and a ribbon with some velcro. I truly believe you could have a more inspirational day with your child by taking her to a craft store and a hardware store and challenging her to come up with a better activity than this one, plus her own story to go with it. It was more of a prop for a marketing scheme (the website also emails constantly, puts out non-stop ads, and asks all the children to submit their ideas) rather than an actually intelligently made product. So disappointed!

1.0 out of 5 stars THE POSITIVE REVIEWS MUST BE FAKE, December 12, 2013
Steve Duneth (Boca Raton, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine (Toy)
These reviews must be fake. I purchased this for my two nieces, based on all the hype I read. They were bored with this "game" after 15 minutes. There really isn't much to it… a few pegs, a cheap plastic board, and a book that is thinner than most pamphlets I have seen. Maybe they are too smart for this, or maybe it's not challenging enough. One thing is certain: there is nothing about this cheap toy that would inspire any girl or boy to further their exploration into engineering. Save your money and avoid this scam.

Goldie Blox and The Spinning Machine