4.0 out of 5 stars Get up off the couch and gimme a crossover punch!
If you enjoy cardio boxing and want to work up a sweat, then this Wii game is for you. After doing the basic lessons and moving on to the regular ones for only a couple of hours my arms and shoulders feel like I can't lift them anymore. I'm pretty sure I'll be sore tomorrow morning.

This is basically a cardio boxing game. The rest of the exercises are short...
Published on March 31, 2009 by PT Cruiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title - It's mostly cardio boxing
Published on March 31, 2009 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Get up off the couch and gimme a crossover punch!, March 31, 2009
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

This is basically a cardio boxing game. The rest of the exercises are short games and workouts that are unlocked as you progress through boxing exercises. It looks like there are 6 regular ones and 4 that use the balance board. This is the extent of the balance board usage. None of the boxing exercises use the balance board. This is a little disappointing, but since you can't jump on the balance board it would be a little difficult to do the boxing footwork which is bouncy, without damaging the board. Still, I thought the description of the game was a little misleading since the use of the balance board is limited to leg raises, push ups and a couple exercises that are already included with the Wii Fit.

Still, I think this is a good addition to my Wii Exercise list because it's engaging and holds my interest and I like games where I can build up the score and compete against my past scores. Here are a list of the pros and cons that I've discovered so far:

Pros:
Choice of music. There are several different music choices that you can preview and play during your workouts.

Choice of settings. You can choose a gym, forest or seaside setting.

Lots of movement and easy to understand instructions.

You acquire points which you can use to buy things at the gym store, like different outfits.

You can pick your trainer (male or female) and there are several different training levels so you can play according to your abilities at a pace that is good for you.

Great response time on the controls and great sounds. "Pow! Crunch! Wham!" The movements and clicks of the Wiimote register right on. You can also click through scenery pans and other peripheral scenes to speed the game. (Thank you, UBI Soft!)

Cons:
The graphics are a little ragged on an HD TV with component cables and 480p settings. Wii HD Link Component Cable
They are also a little simplistic compared to other Wii games, not bad, just simplistic.

The balance board is used in only 4 of the side workouts, not in the main cardio boxing.

All in all, I still think it's a good addition to my Wii workout collection and it's one that's fun enough that it'll get used often. It's good arm and shoulder exercise that will compliment my We Cheer Wii game and a good way to work up a sweat without getting bored.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great workout!!, March 31, 2009
Leah H "Leah H" (Laurel, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I actually got my copy a couple of days before it was supposed to be released from a video game store. It's mostly cardio boxing, although there are other exercises including Punch Dog, reverse sit-ups, back strengthening and squats that utilize the balance board. There are 4 other exercises that have to be unlocked as you progress through the game. (I just unlocked Jump Rope today, on my 4th day.) Gold points are earned to be spent in the Shop on gear, and additional items go on sale as you go.

After initial "registration", you choose your trainer, either Alex or Nina. Other trainers are unlocked as you progress. (I just unlocked Brenda.) Each day, you have a choice of doing a prepared workout or an ala carte workout. After the prepared workout, you get to leave a punch stamp on the calendar, indicating that you've completed that day's workout. There are Boxing Examinations you can take to test yourself.

As of yet, I haven't noticed the scale feature and I had to enter my weight manually when I first set up my profile. All in all, it's a great workout- more interesting and interactive than Wii Fit (which I still love). I was sweating after about 5 minutes, and I'm STILL sore from my first workout! There's less jumping and hopping around than My Fitness Coach, which, with my bad knees, is a big plus. I look forward to unlocking more of the features of this game!

Update: 4/12/09- I've unlocked a couple of the "Special" workouts in the Shape Boxing, but only done Dodging, which is really tricky because you have to throw punches at the same time! I've unlocked all the locked excercises in Exercise and they are "Roadwork" (running & boxing a bear that crosses your path), "Sandbag" (punching 10 sandbangs in the allotted 3 minutes), "Log Chopping" (using the remote to saw through a log in 3 minutes), and "Jump Rope". I've unlocked another trainer named Bob, who looks like the BIGGEST guy on Muscle Beach, and a two new outfits for the trainer I've chosen (Brenda), as well as a few new items that were given to me for reaching a X amount of punches. I'm still loving this game and have lost about 4 lbs since I've been playing it (along w/Weight Watchers). It's not hard on my bad knees and I feel the burn where I should.

5.0 out of 5 stars This games exercise program is better then Wii Fit!, April 5, 2009
Wiiviewer (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Length:: 4:08 Mins

I review Wii games on YouTube. If you want to see more of my reviews go to youtube.com/wiiviewr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good workout, but there are some annoying flaws, April 27, 2009
J. A. Fielder (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I've had this for a month now, and I have to say I've really enjoyed myself. I got bored with the Wii Fit within a few weeks; my biggest complaint that other than the Hula Hoop, nothing really gave me a good workout.

Can't say that for this "game." I've worked out every day, and look forward to getting on it first thing in the morning. I do the prepared workout, and every other day will supplement it with some a la carte shape boxing or exercises. I like my trainer, and the little rewards are nice eggs to work toward.

I drip like a sieve, and my muscles are sore. That's a good thing.

I like that you can pick three different levels in the prepared work out (light, regular, hardcore), or just do a la carte if you want more or less.

However (and there's always a however), there are some flaws.

1) Not everything registers. Be it squats, upper cuts, ducks, or dodges, sometimes you have to REALLY exaggerate your movements to get it to register. It's very frustrating to throw an uppercut and nothing happens, or to throw a punch and it registers a duck simultaneously when you're doing ducking combos.

2) As noted by others, it doesn't weigh you. Missed opportunity there by Ubisoft.

3) The English translations on screen ain't such be good done right. ;)

4) On the sandbag exercise, it's too easy to knock the bags out in 45 seconds. I haven't unlocked all of the elements of the game yet, so I'm hoping there's a "free" mode where you can do the side exercises for as long as you like.

5) Sometimes it doesn't register the "up" on squats. You have to really "bounce" (again, exaggerating motions) to get it to register, which takes away from the work out intent. I don't want to exaggerate my motions; I just want to work out and get my sweat on.

6) The "training" mode on the side exercises should be the default, and you unlock the "challenge" mode. Seems silly to challenge someone who hasn't even trained yet.

7) After a prepared work out routine, my trainer tells me that I really kicked butt (nice encouragement) and that I should try a harder work out next time. Um. You picked the work out, Alex, not me. Why don't YOU try a harder work out next time. Maybe in time it will get more difficult (although I'm not complaining. It's working me out as is!).

I know these sound like a lot of gripes, but they are minor compared to the overall positive impression of this game. It's a good work out, and I'm really enjoying myself. Beats a membership to one of the shape boxing gyms that are popping up all over the place. Seems to be ahead of that trend a bit, and is something you can do at home at your convenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Martial Artist's Perspective, July 27, 2009
E. Shin (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and have cross-trained in boxing, Muay Thai, and other martial arts. Since getting married and having two kids, I have had little time to do anything even closely related to exercise, much less martial arts. From an exercise as well as a martial arts training perspective, this game is incredibly fun and effective, particularly for those who have limited time and resources.

If you are trained in the proper form for throwing the various punches used in this game, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout is a great way to maintain and practice proper form, get a great workout at home, and have fun.

While a Wii controller can be "fooled" by using motions similar to throwing a punch, this game can be an incredible full-body workout if the punches are thrown correctly and you actually duck and weave. For those who are serious, focus on the following two items:

(1) Not hyperextending your elbow/arm when throwing a punch. Always keep a slight bend in your elbow.

(2) Picturing your punch - particularly those thrown from your "reverse" (back) hand - as a full-body motion. Power in your punch does not come simply from your arms, but from your legs, your hips/waist, torso, AND arms. All of these areas should move in one fluid motion.

To illustrate, try this: with your right leg back, put your right elbow on your waist with your fist perpindicular (90 degrees) from your body. Now twist your right hip from the back to the front of your body without moving your arm. That "punch" is power developed from your hips alone! Add that to power from the actual "punching" motion of your arm and your legs, and you have more power than from the punching motion alone. Plus, you are using (and exercising) your full body in the process.

Enjoy your workout! This is a fantastic game and training tool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title - It's mostly cardio boxing, March 31, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Got it today and it may be considered too soon to give a fair review, but truth be told I've been duped. I was expecting a well rounded cardio workout but from start up you have to focus on boxing. Don't get me wrong, if they called it "Cardio Boxing" I would have understood, but I was hoping for something my wife and I can use. She has little or no interest in cardio boxing.

For myself I enjoyed the cardio boxing and I intend to use it as often as time allows. I was able to work up quite a sweat from it and I'm in pretty good shape to begin iwth.

They should have called it cardio boxing or something similar. In that case I would have judge it for what it is.

If you like cardio boxing and are looking for a different and fun workout, give this title a shot, but don't be fooled into thinking you are getting something you are not.

I have to admit when using two controllers, the boxing is challenging and fun. The boxing tips are authentic and I would even suggest this to amateur boxers or martial artists looking to hone their reflexes.

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL worth the money!, April 9, 2009
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I'm in no way a fitness fanatic. In fact, until recently the most exercise I got was walking to the fridge. I'm 6'4" and 200-205 pounds so I'm by no means overweight.

That being said, this is the first time in my life that I actually look forward to working out. And this program is the reason. We got a Wii Fit back in January and it got me off of the couch but after a few weeks, the novelty and "cuteness" wore off and it became kiddy, boring and all around not challenging. This motivated me to start looking for something else. I wasn't sure about this program until I read a few reviews that flat out said what it really is: Shape Boxing. The Wii Fit boxing was really enjoyable but far too slow. This program is exactly what I was looking for.

The graphics are a little 90's-ish but so what? So is the music. Again, so what? If I wanted a great multimedia experience, I'd go play my Xbox or the computer.

The Wii Fit balance board is only used in the "exercises" (squats, pushups, etc) but the game says "compatible" not "designed for" the balance board. If you are looking for a balance game, this is not it.

The "dual-controller" mode is excellent. Not only do you have the same grip in each hand, it's also WAY more responsive than a controller + nunchuk.

The workouts are fast paced but not so long that a beginner will drop dead from a heart attack. The trainer will ask you each day if you want a planned workout or "a-la-carte" where you pick and choose your activities. The planned workouts get progressively harder as you work your way through them and you unlock new trainers, songs, clothing, workouts and exercises as your total punch count increases.

This program is a fine addition to any fitness regimen or a great way to get started on one.

To wrap things up, if you're looking for hard-core cardio, go for a run. If you're looking for a balance game, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a great workout in less than a half an hour, this is the program for you. No balance board needed and a steal for under $30.

5.0 out of 5 stars It WORKS !!!!!, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My brother introduced me this game in May 25, 2009 1:39PM, I was weight 230lb. Tried the basic mode for about 30 mins, half of my shirt got wet and I had trouble breathing. Since then I spent average 1 hour on the game, 4 days a week. In August 12, 2009 I weighted 198lb. The advance mode burns my fat pretty well, the game completely hooked me up. It remembers on the date you play, how long you play and how many calories you burned, what a way to keep you playing it. You'll earn points + coins after each game, you can use those coins to buy cloths, the female instructor will dress less if you keep her long as your instructor. For $20, a fun way to lose weight.

P.S. I cancelled my real life golds gym membership in May 28, 2009.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gold's Gym Cardio Boxing?, April 2, 2009
This review is from: Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game is a great work out, i was sweating my backside off. The name should be just cardio boxing though, it is the basis of the whole game. It is a good buy if you are looking for a work out not a game. I like how it gives you the option to use two Wiimotes instead of the nukchuck, i hate that thing. If you want to sweat and use it as a weight loss tool, buy it. If you want a game, don't.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Workout is FUN!!!, July 10, 2009
I'm in my middle 40's and really never really got much exercise over
the last 20 years;
so I bought the Wii fit a while back,
This made a gym in my own living room possible,
I LOVE WORKING OUT in the privacy of my own home, no gym fees, no pretty little gym outfit to buy,
I lost weight and gained muscle mass within a few weeks.
The exercises are fun and some can be quiet exhausting,
I love using the Wii fit with the balance board but after a while it got a bit boring just doing all the same things all over again,
So this is what I did:
I bought:
My Fitness Coach by UBI Soft
and
Gold's Gym Cardio Workout (you can use the Wii Balance board with it)
I also bought some hand weight and a stability ball (to use with the fitness coach)
Now this is my exercise regiment every day:
Wii fit + My fitness coach on even days
Wii Fit + Gold's Gym Cardio Workout on uneven days
Now people that is FUN!!!
I'm working full time but I'm looking forward to my workout at night.
Fitness coach and Gold's Gym Cardio Workout will give you a total workout without having to constantly switch between different exercises,
In the fitness coach you can choose the workout time and in the Gold's Gym Cardio Workout you can choose a prepared workout or an a la carte, where you can actually choose how hard you want to work out.
Let me tell you, I had muscle aches on muscles I did not know I had ;-)
I love it and everyone should have it and live a little healthier and (maybe) live a little bit longer!

Gold's Gym Cardio Workout - Nintendo Wii