4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Golf GPS

3.0 out of 5 stars Once a buddy always a buddy
Published on June 10, 2009 by Arthur Sams

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Golf GPS, March 21, 2009
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
I read all the reviews and compared all the features of golf GPS's before selecting the Golf Buddy Pro. I especially liked the feature that all the courses and course information were already loaded on the unit or available for free from the Golf Buddy website. And of course, that large color screen. When I received the unit, I immediately put it on the charger while I reviewed the User Manual...it's pretty slim because the unit does most functions automatically. The next day I went golfing. Within 5 minutes, the unit initallized and indicated I was on the first hole of Highlands Reserve. The unit advanced automatically hole by hole without any user input from me. The GPS seems very accurate and the screen is exceptionally bright in all lighting conditions. I did notice that if your riding a cart, it takes a few seconds for the unit to stablize after stopping before giving an accurate distance. I am now using some of the more advanced features including adding and editing my own hazards, measuring distances hit, and keeping track of my scores. Ok, does it really help your game. The answer is yes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, Glad I Went With Golf Buddy Tour, May 23, 2009
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
I thought long and hard between the skycaddie and the golf buddy. I was nervous that the Golf Buddy was "too good to be true", but decided on it anyway because of the no yearly fees. All of my golf friends have the skycaddie, so I know that it works great. I took the risk with the golf buddy tour and have been very pleased every round. The yardages are exactly the same as the skycaddie, and my friends are stuck paying $50 a year for the same yardages. Not only is the color screen easy to read and shows up in any lighting, the size of the Golf Buddy is perfect. The skycaddie looks like a walkie-talkie while the golf buddy looks like a sleek electronic gadget.

You will not be disappointed with the GBT. I got it out of the box, charged it, went to Heron Bay Golf Course in Locust Grove, GA, turned on my GBT, it instantly recognized where I was, it knew I was approaching #1 tee, and from there on it gave me accuarate distances to the programmed targets. No syncing, no adding courses, just turned the thing on. Even on an overcast day and a rainy day, the GBT still gave me yardages.

Adding your own target, measuring your shots, and keeping track of your score are all very easy. The skycaddie has about 6-7 buttons while the GBT only has two main buttons. It's a synch to use. Apple might as well have invented the thing.

You'll love it. Spend the extra money up front. If you are a wife or girlfriend, get this for the man in your life. He will be amazed that you made the right choice on the best golf gps there is!

CONS? Are you kidding me? No cons!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a TEN, June 5, 2009
Valuegal (Livermore California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
This has made my golf so much more fun. There is nothing like the confidence in KNOWING which club to pull out of the bag. You turn it on as you get your gear out of your car and that is it. It knows which course you are on and give you the yardage to the first hole with out any further intervention. I just clip it onto my bag and go. It has some other feature that I may learn to use over time, but the yardage it what I really needed. Why pay a yearly fee for other brands? Why be limited to five courses stored at a time? Even my local 9 hole course was pre-installed, of course I checked for my favorite courses on the web site first, they were all included already.

3.0 out of 5 stars Once a buddy always a buddy, June 10, 2009
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
First let me say that the Golf Buddy Tour works as advertised. It always knows what course I'm playing and where I am on the course. The distances are accurate. The functions such as measuring driving distance works great. I am having one problem with the unit. I belong to two Country Clubs. One club is in Florida and one club is located near Washington, DC. Last year both courses underwent major renovations nd both re opened for play this past April. Both courses were loaded in the Golf Buddy with the old configurations. Thus, my Golf Buddy was not usable on my two home courses until the courses are re mapped. I've requested a re mapping but no definitive time was given me. Within 4 weeks the golf course in Florida was remapped. With the additional targets I added the Golf Buddy operates like a charm. Its a great tool. Unfortunately, the TPC Avenel has not been updated since the June request. This course had a complete reconfiguration. Right now it is not usable for my needs at this course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!, July 12, 2009
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
This is my first GPS range finder and it is seriously the coolest thing ever!!! It is incredibly EASY to use and has a large, easy to read display. I compared it to other GPS units and settled on this one because all the updates are FREE with no monthly service charge, and it stores over 20,000 courses!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's pretty good but......, April 2, 2010
GolferBob (The Grand Strand of Golf) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
I had a SkyCaddie SG2 for several years but was disgusted with the $50.00 annual fee as well as being able to store only 10 courses on the unit. After doing research on golf GPS units, I decided to purchase the Golf Buddy Tour several months ago. It is a fine unit and works fairly well. The major selling points are nice color screen, NO annual subscription fees, 20,000 courses preloaded, free course updates, and automatic course recognition. A friend of mine has a SkyCaddie SG5 and when we play together, we compare GPS units. I will say that the SkyCaddie seems to be more accurate, has a diagram of the entire hole being played (Golf Buddy just has a diagram of the green), and has more targets loaded. The Golf Buddy has a limit of 12 targets per hole, which I have found is not enough for several holes on my home course. You can add additional targets on a hole (it is fairly simple) as long as there are less than 12 targets preloaded. Unfortunately you cannot delete any of the Golf Buddy targets to add your own. The SkyCaddie yardages are almost immediate while the Golf Buddy sometimes takes more time to lock into yardages. And the yardages don't always seem to be accurate. The owner's manual of the Golf Buddy leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully, they will improve the owner's manual in the future. Some of the reviewers have stated that the Golf Buddy customer service is poor. I completely disagree!! I have spoken to several representatives at Golf Buddy and without exception each has been very knowledgeable and helpful. All in all the Golf Buddy is a very good unit and well worth purchasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf Buddy G P S, April 15, 2009
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
The ultimate in range finders. Just walk up the tee anywhere and the hole appears for whatever course you are playing. I have no complaints. Rollin Swaim

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy I purchased GP Tour GPS, August 18, 2009
Gary (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
First of all, this is not an advertisement review. I've read some from other sites that sound like a sales guy, or the company it self, wrote it.
I purchased the Golf Buddy Tour GPS in April '09 and it's been great. Of all the features, what helps me the most is the front / back of the green measurements. It really increases my comfort level when picking my club, knowing I won't come up way short when the pins in the back or I won't air-mail the pin when it's up front. That only saves a few shots a round. The easy features I like is that you don't have to select the course either. When I get to the course, it figures out what course I'm at when in auto mode. I'm also not a big fan of subscription rates you get with other GPS's. Overall, it's a good chunk of money to put out but, in my opinion, well worth it. It's the same amount you would pay for a good driver, but with the GB Tour, you use it on ever hole.

5.0 out of 5 stars It tracks my scores ..., May 10, 2011
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
I'm happy I purchased the Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder because it performs as promised. Number one, I like how I can input my score on each hole and it saves the scores of several rounds of golf for future reference. Number two, I played three full rounds of golf before I had to recharge it. Number three, if the battery does goes down during a round, all I have to do is replace it with two regular (or rechargeable) triple A batteries. I also like how it knows what golf course I'm on and what hole I'm about to play. It sure makes things easy for me. I would recommend Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful, March 9, 2010
This review is from: Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder (Sports)
I purchased this product for my husband. I was a little hesitant at first because he is far sighted and I wasn't sure if he would be able to see the numbers on the display. To my surprise you can adjust the brightness and tweak the settings and he can see them just fine. He said it is absolutely helpful in showing him the distance to the pin for him to choose the right club without second guessing. He carries it with him all the time when we play, no matter which course we are playing. I would definitely recommend this product!

Golf Buddy Tour GPS Range Finder