5.0 out of 5 stars May the Spirit of Golf Be With You!
I read this book when it first came out and found it to be awe-inspiring. I've actually never read a book that has captivated me in the way in which this one has -- while reading it and the after-effect it has had on my life. Michael Murphy's writing abilities to captivate you on a mystical journey about golf of all things -- is just amazing! And the sequel "The...
Published on May 8, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the first half, forget the rest
Published on December 18, 1999 by ScooterBob

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the first half, forget the rest, December 18, 1999
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
Murphy takes you on a magical and enlightening round of golf at the place where it all began, or at least could have: Scotland. His descriptions of the landscape and the golf course made me long for the links courses we have on our own coast. I enjoyed his attempt at mimicking the various dialects of the Scots and other characters in the book. After their round, Murphy and his new acquaintance, Shivas Irons, a sort of golf priest have a few shots of Scotch, and then go for a midnight stroll in search of Seamus MacDuff. We never really know if Seamus is alive or a figment of Irons' imagination. They find an ancient club that's suppose to belong to MacDuff in a cave and some featheries, and then they hit some perfect shots in the moonlight. Up until this point the book is about golf and the feeling many golfers have that golf is much more than hitting a little white ball around a nicely maintained park. But then the book goes off on some transparent pop psycobabble from the `60s while Murphy spends years searching for Irons and MacDuff. If this book were a round of golf I'd have to say it that Murphy shot par on the front nine and double bogeyed his way through the back. I'd recommend reading the first half and then just dreaming about what the last half could have been about. I'm sure you'll do a better job of finishing the book than Murphy did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Front 9...Rough Back 9, September 21, 2011
Gregort C. West (Columbus, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
I found the first part of this book to be much like what most of the other readers have said: It is an entertaining story about the author's encounter with Shivas Irons.

The second part of this book: Let me put it like this: There is a series of commercials airing...I don't recall what product they are advertising. In the commercials, the same three guys are standing around a barbeque grill in someone's backyard. It appears they are having some sort of football tailgate party. One of the three guys is trying to explain how grilling is related to football on some higher plane. For instance, in one commercial, he says that the lines on the grill represent the yard lines on a football field. In another, he states that they are "huddling" around the grill much like football players huddle before a play. Also, he mentions that the top to the grill is like a retractable dome on a football stadium. Well, the second half of Golf in the Kingdom is like these commercials. The author is trying to relate golf, the ball, the hole, etc. to some type of spiritual existence. Personally, I don't get it...and I've been playing golf for decades and am a practicing Buddhist. What I will admit is that how someone carries himself on the golf course is a good reflection of how he carries himself in real life (follows rules or cheats, fixes ball marks or ignores them, throws a tantrum or remains calm). However, I don't see the golf ball as some intergalactic satellite and myself as God controlling it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Classic Book That Started the Non-Mechanical Revolution, March 28, 2007
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
Golf is a great sport - we all know that. But it's only been in the past couple of decades where we started to bring the focus back on the inner and spiritual qualities of the game - it's always been there but somehow we got distracted with the mechanics and competitive nature of the game. This book is THE classic, the one that started the revolution of mental and inner golf. It took me a while to get through it the first time, but after that, I would pick it up time and time again - it's THAT kind of a book. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inner view of the feeling for Golf, February 4, 1998
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Hardcover)
Many people ask why we play golf. This book helps explain it. It shows that golf is not only a game, but a science, love and religon. Reading about that 1 night that Shivas played golf, will forever last in my mind. This is a must read for people that enjoy playing golf for the inner love and complexities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best golf lesson I've had, April 22, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
This book substantially changed the way I play golf. For starters, I've managed to stop abusing my equipment. And I'm less prone to overswinging. Most of all, I enjoy playing more. A great life lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me love golf even more., December 15, 2012
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
Made me love golf even more.

Is that possible?

A classic book that talks about the mystery that you have always felt was in the game.

4.0 out of 5 stars More a philosophy book then a golf book, March 16, 2012
B. Welsch (Gainesville,FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
A very enjoyable book on what golf really is, fresh air, good people, a dram or two, and finding out who you really are. If you want something to help your swing this is not it. If you want to help your life it is. When I die I want to go to Burningbush

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael Murphy: Revolutionary Thinker, September 26, 2007
Ronald James "Writer/Psychiatrist" (Nevada City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Hardcover)
I met Michael Murphy in the late 1960's. The charismatic leader of the human potential movement captured my attention and admiration immediately. Mr. Murphy was one of those characters who sparkle with mystical magic. His life reads like a calendar of magical events. At every turn he seems to either run into or encounter the most provocative people one can imagine: Steinbeck, Spiegelberg, Brodie, Price, Aurobindo, Thompson, Maslow, and many, many more.
With the publication of Golf in the Kingdom (His first book), he managed to create a new movement, which came to be known as The Sport and Yoga Movement. The book is a delightful integration of sport, mysticism, and yoga, with a whole lot of magic sprinkled between the lines. I am amazed at its dissenters and critics. It is not "junk" as some need to say. For those of you who say it is "not for golfers", I think I can safely assume that you are regularly shooting twenty to thirty over par. There are some that say that this is just another worn-out philosophical rag, trying to integrate what's common, and I would think for them mundane, with the paranormal and mystical energies that hover all around us. To them, I would say that there is a shread of truth to their thoughts. I would like to ask those people to provide me with any literary references, expousing this thesis, that pre-date Mr. Murphy's book. For those that claim that this is just another clever contrivance for making a quick buck, I would say you are about as far off the mark as those that dismiss the book as "junk". Mr. Murphy was born wealthy. At some point in his life he inherited a large sum of money, most of which he either donated or spent in efforts to enhance the human condition. When I met the man, I believe that it was in 1969, he was driving an aged 1962, six cylinder, stick shift Cheverolet. He had bought the car new, and at that time felt that he could get at least another ten years out of it.
Bravo, Michael. Bravo for Golf in the Kingdom, and bravo for a life well lived.

Ronald James

2.0 out of 5 stars The first half of the book rocks, then it's a triple bogey., July 28, 2009
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Paperback)
Like another review said, the first half of the book is excellent and classic. However, the 2nd part of the book get's disjointed and I found it quite frankly very boring. So enjoy the first part with Shivas and Seamus and skim the rest.

peace out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious, June 22, 2014
This review is from: Golf in the Kingdom (Hardcover)
This book captures the golf mistique very nicely. The author does a good job making you feel you are part of the story.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Golf in the Kingdom
Golf in the Kingdom by Micheal J. Murphy (Paperback - October 1, 1997)
$15.00 $10.71