Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 12, 2000
This book provides incredible insight into the game of golf. Rather than attempting to teach the infamous "perfect swing," Dr. Rotella allows the reader to maintain his current swing and instead he addresses the mental side to lower scores. Whether you are a beginner or carry a low handicap, this book is sure to knock strokes off. This book enables a player to think correctly on the course and develop confidence in his game. It is easy and fun to read since Rotella recalls past memories that support his point. I'd recommend this book for yourself or as a gift. I re-read chapters nightly before playing in tournaments as an instrument to mentally prepare myself. It has helped me to win national junior events and I guarentee that it will help you as well. Hit 'em straight!
on September 22, 2000
As a 7 handicap trying to figure out how to shave those extra strokes off to get into the low single digit territory this was a nice surprise which helped to complete my library of essential golf books.
the seminal work on golf (and perhaps) sports psychology from Dr. Bob Rotella. The book works on a number of levels as follows: #1. as a rare and excellent guide on how to prepare oneself mentally for the game and how to remained focused during a match; #2. as a series of anecdotal chapters covering a number of the game's top name players and how they are using Rotella's straight forward and insightful techniques to play better golf; #3. as an instructional piece and #4. as a guide for getting the most out of your practises.
Any one of the above would make it good, all 4 in combination make it a must have for golfers at all levels.
(ps I'd also recommend as essential golf reading Jack Nicklaus's "Golf My Way," Tom Watson's "Getting It Up and Down from 40 Yards and In" and, of course, Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book)
on August 29, 2001
The most enjoyable golf you can play is effortless and pressure free. "Doc" Rotella's "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect" has literally liberated me from myself. I was definitely in my own way, halting my own progress. My swing coach brought me from a 35 handicap to a 16 handicap in two summers. Doc brought me down to a 10 handicap in six weeks, and I am still improving. Two key facets in the book grabbed me. First is, "The best swing thought is no swing thought!" This was riveting and when I finally let go and trust my swing, the ball went longer and straighter. Consistency and lower scores were the result. The second facet dealt with putting. Doc emphasized "When you land the green, hole the put, no matter the distance!" What a confidence and result booster!! My goal was to become a single digit handicapper by the end of summer 2001. I still have three weeks to lose one stroke and achieve my goal. I am convinced it will happen. On June 26th, I had a milestone. After reading Doc's book, I shot my first ever and only sub-par round of 35 for nine holes on a par 36 executive course here in Indianapolis. I had a playing partner and asked him to sign the card. It is now framed and sitting in my office. That was fun. Thanks Doc!! -Gary in Indianapolis.
on June 27, 2000
I was a mental midget on the golf course. Despite my low handicap, I was capable of shooting 90 anytime out. My swing and tempo would just go away. Sometimes only for a few holes, sometimes for a few weeks. It all had to do with my mental approach. I would go "unconscience" for weeks and shoot my standard round in the 70's, then I would wake up and decide to "think", and all of the sudden I was a mess. The guys at my club called me Jekyll or Hyde, depending on who I was that day. I won my club championship in 1995, finished 2nd in 1998, then failed to qualify by shooting 92 in 1999. I was almost ready to go to a shrink, and I considered being hypnotized.
I went to a local pro that I knew casually for a lesson, and he told me after 10 swings that I was fine physically. I told him about my troubles. He confirmed that I had mental issues on the course, and instead of nitpicking a with a solid swing, he recommended I read this book. He even gave me his copy. I got through it in 2 sittings, bought my own, and now refer to it often. I have attained a tremendous level of consistency and rediscovered my confidence. My USGA handicap has dropped back to the 4's. I am thrilled, because I went as high as 9 after a month of complete futility last season. The only reason it stayed that low was because they toss out your 10 highest scores from your last 20 rounds when computing the handicap. My average score was almost 12 shots higher than the previous year.
I don't have the vocabulary required to adequately praise this book. All I can say is BUY IT! I still can not believe what it did for me. I haven't had any funky spells since reading it, and my entire approach to the game has changed for the better.
Good luck.
on July 18, 1999
Simply put, this book is incredible. I am a 16 year old addict, who was last year, the worst player on the school team. I had taken lessons from pros, watched instructional videos, and attended numerous golf camps. At the beginning of the this year's season, I was considering quitting, when I picked up this little treasure. Bob Rotella's book has completely changed my attitude about this wonderful game. It taught me to forget about what other people thought about my game and remember how to have fun. Due to the weather this year, our golf season was only two weeks long. It took me one week to make junior varsity, and I give half of the credit to this book, and half of the credit to me for reading it. By utilizing the mental techniques found in "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect," I was smashing my previous scoring records and setting new ones almost every round! I was shooting in the mid-70's (9 holes) last year, and now I consistently score in the low 40's! This fantastic book is the real deal!
on February 8, 2014
After reading the advice given by Dr. Rotella, I thought I'd give it a try. So, yes, focusing on a target while addressing the ball and maintaining that focus really helps take your mind off of mechanics and allows the swing to happen. I found that if I focused on the mental target, I hit a decent shot . The hard part is trying to hold on to this for a full round of golf. the thought is always trying to escape and somehow return to the mechanical focus. it's definitely a sound mental approach.
on October 18, 2015
This book was recommended by a PGA golf instructor I did some work for. As I worked on his kitchen, we discussed golf. It was great. I got free lessons from a certified PGA teacher while working.

After purchasing swing aids, lessons and numerous clubs and balls to improve my golf game, this is the the one aspect I never spent much time on......the mental part. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to adding it to my Christmas shopping list for the golfers in my life.
on March 30, 2016
Golf is a mind game and Dr. Bob sets out some good advice on how to approach it. This is about good self-coaching. There are no particular swing tips. It becomes a bit repetitive as it goes on because his approach is pretty simple.
on July 25, 2014
Good info, but I went a bit too far. In addition to this CD I also obtained another CD that discussed the mental side of golf. In the end, I think I forgot or ignored the basics of practicing and allowed my mental side of golf to consume me. To the point of not being able to complete a backswing as a result of the noise in my head. If you get this CD, understand what they are saying, but don't dwell on it like I did. It destroyed my game when I was on the brink of being a single digit handicap. Eveything that is said on the CD is true and does make a lot of sense, but practicing is very important as well. By practicing those sand shots for example, allows you to step up to the ball with confidence when that shot is needed.
on September 28, 2013
a musician and teacher friend of mine (on the faculty of a major American conservatory)recommended this book to me as a must read for musicians (even though he himself doesn't play golf). an excellent book for golfer's and non-golfers alike.