5.0 out of 5 stars Tournament Tough
Published on January 12, 2000 by Jonathan Reeder

3.0 out of 5 stars Good info, but I went a bit too far
Good info, but I went a bit too far. In addition to this CD I also obtained another CD that discussed the mental side of golf. In the end, I think I forgot or ignored the basics of practicing and allowed my mental side of golf to consume me. To the point of not being able to complete a backswing as a result of the noise in my head. If you get this CD, understand what...
Published 6 months ago by Leon S. Goddard

5.0 out of 5 stars Tournament Tough, January 12, 2000
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
This book provides incredible insight into the game of golf. Rather than attempting to teach the infamous "perfect swing," Dr. Rotella allows the reader to maintain his current swing and instead he addresses the mental side to lower scores. Whether you are a beginner or carry a low handicap, this book is sure to knock strokes off. This book enables a player to think correctly on the course and develop confidence in his game. It is easy and fun to read since Rotella recalls past memories that support his point. I'd recommend this book for yourself or as a gift. I re-read chapters nightly before playing in tournaments as an instrument to mentally prepare myself. It has helped me to win national junior events and I guarentee that it will help you as well. Hit 'em straight!

5.0 out of 5 stars Train Your Brain!!!, September 22, 2000
J. Duncan (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
As a 7 handicap trying to figure out how to shave those extra strokes off to get into the low single digit territory this was a nice surprise which helped to complete my library of essential golf books.
the seminal work on golf (and perhaps) sports psychology from Dr. Bob Rotella. The book works on a number of levels as follows: #1. as a rare and excellent guide on how to prepare oneself mentally for the game and how to remained focused during a match; #2. as a series of anecdotal chapters covering a number of the game's top name players and how they are using Rotella's straight forward and insightful techniques to play better golf; #3. as an instructional piece and #4. as a guide for getting the most out of your practises.
Any one of the above would make it good, all 4 in combination make it a must have for golfers at all levels.
(ps I'd also recommend as essential golf reading Jack Nicklaus's "Golf My Way," Tom Watson's "Getting It Up and Down from 40 Yards and In" and, of course, Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book)

5.0 out of 5 stars Playing Golf in the Zone, August 29, 2001
Gary A. Sailes (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
The most enjoyable golf you can play is effortless and pressure free. "Doc" Rotella's "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect" has literally liberated me from myself. I was definitely in my own way, halting my own progress. My swing coach brought me from a 35 handicap to a 16 handicap in two summers. Doc brought me down to a 10 handicap in six weeks, and I am still improving. Two key facets in the book grabbed me. First is, "The best swing thought is no swing thought!" This was riveting and when I finally let go and trust my swing, the ball went longer and straighter. Consistency and lower scores were the result. The second facet dealt with putting. Doc emphasized "When you land the green, hole the put, no matter the distance!" What a confidence and result booster!! My goal was to become a single digit handicapper by the end of summer 2001. I still have three weeks to lose one stroke and achieve my goal. I am convinced it will happen. On June 26th, I had a milestone. After reading Doc's book, I shot my first ever and only sub-par round of 35 for nine holes on a par 36 executive course here in Indianapolis. I had a playing partner and asked him to sign the card. It is now framed and sitting in my office. That was fun. Thanks Doc!! -Gary in Indianapolis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure cure for a golfing nut case!, June 27, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
I was a mental midget on the golf course. Despite my low handicap, I was capable of shooting 90 anytime out. My swing and tempo would just go away. Sometimes only for a few holes, sometimes for a few weeks. It all had to do with my mental approach. I would go "unconscience" for weeks and shoot my standard round in the 70's, then I would wake up and decide to "think", and all of the sudden I was a mess. The guys at my club called me Jekyll or Hyde, depending on who I was that day. I won my club championship in 1995, finished 2nd in 1998, then failed to qualify by shooting 92 in 1999. I was almost ready to go to a shrink, and I considered being hypnotized.
I went to a local pro that I knew casually for a lesson, and he told me after 10 swings that I was fine physically. I told him about my troubles. He confirmed that I had mental issues on the course, and instead of nitpicking a with a solid swing, he recommended I read this book. He even gave me his copy. I got through it in 2 sittings, bought my own, and now refer to it often. I have attained a tremendous level of consistency and rediscovered my confidence. My USGA handicap has dropped back to the 4's. I am thrilled, because I went as high as 9 after a month of complete futility last season. The only reason it stayed that low was because they toss out your 10 highest scores from your last 20 rounds when computing the handicap. My average score was almost 12 shots higher than the previous year.
I don't have the vocabulary required to adequately praise this book. All I can say is BUY IT! I still can not believe what it did for me. I haven't had any funky spells since reading it, and my entire approach to the game has changed for the better.
Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golfers, go to the top of this page and buy this book now!, July 18, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
Simply put, this book is incredible. I am a 16 year old addict, who was last year, the worst player on the school team. I had taken lessons from pros, watched instructional videos, and attended numerous golf camps. At the beginning of the this year's season, I was considering quitting, when I picked up this little treasure. Bob Rotella's book has completely changed my attitude about this wonderful game. It taught me to forget about what other people thought about my game and remember how to have fun. Due to the weather this year, our golf season was only two weeks long. It took me one week to make junior varsity, and I give half of the credit to this book, and half of the credit to me for reading it. By utilizing the mental techniques found in "Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect," I was smashing my previous scoring records and setting new ones almost every round! I was shooting in the mid-70's (9 holes) last year, and now I consistently score in the low 40's! This fantastic book is the real deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life improvement, August 28, 2005
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
If you want to play better golf using your head then this book will do it for you. There is no way your golf woud not improve after applying Bob Rotella's techniques and advice.

Better still, try applying these disciplines to your personal life outside of golf, I was inspired by the very first chapter to make changes to the way we live our personal life, setting targets, taking the knocks along with the successes and turning every opportunity into a positive.

Thanks Bob for providing so much inspiration to us and a lower handicap as a bonus on the side.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to make your approach to the game complete!!!, September 19, 1997
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
Having purchased the audio version of "Golf is not a Game of Perfect", I can honestly say this book is a must for those who want to strive at improving their game. All serious and non-serious players have spent some amount of money to help improve their game. The true value of this book lies not in the price, but in the reward. For less than ten dollars you are introduced to effective, simple philosophies that will mentally jump start your golf game. Dr. Rotella's style teaches how you can blend the mental process of golf into each and every shot. The authors commitment and enthusiasm to the game of golf is obvious throughout the book. The book provides detailed descriptions of how tour professionals have benefited from working with Dr. Rotella. If it can help them win millions, then it can help us hackers appreciate the value of possessing a sound mental game. The book teaches the importance of a pre-shot routine that will help you mentally get through the round. As Dr. Rotella states, "Golf is meant to be played with the eyes." The book aims at helping golfers feel and trust their swings by relying on routine. A cornerstone for any good golfer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Important Book!, March 13, 2003
Jeff Richardson (Miamisburg, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
This is an outstanding book filled with common sense, wit and wisdom from a true student and lover of the game: Bob Rotella. Rotella books have been a big factor in me bringing my handicap down from 20 to 3 over the last three years. Rotella uses stories to illustrate his ideas and concepts, making them easier to remember and understand. Much more entertaining than do this, don't do that type instruction. Great instruction for life as well as golf, especially his ideas on pursuing your dreams, hard work and overcoming obstacles. This book is great for competitive golfers and recreational golfers. Rotella teaches you to love and enjoy the process of improving and playing regardless of results for that given day. One of the hardest aspects of this book to implement is his suggestion that if you are not spending 90 percent of your practice time on shots from a 100 yards and in, you are not practicing to become the best player you can be. Yet he is correct. The more I pracice the scoring shots, the better I get. This is a book that every golfer should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book for the mental approach to Golf, February 27, 2002
This review is from: Golf is Not a Game of Perfect (Hardcover)
A friend and golfing partner gave me this book to read and I found it to be very enlightening and easy to read. Mr. Rotella focus' more on the mental approach to golf than swing plane and mechanics. However he does address the issue and states that there is a time and a place to think about and also practice your swing faults just not on the golf course. He shows you how to focus, improve your accuracy through visualization and taking dead aim, using confidence to improve your putting and how to achieve it.
Simply stated there is a physical side to golf and a mental side and Mr. Rotella shows us how to improve our game and cut down on mistakes, save strokes and improve course management.
He shares stories about his teachings and conversations with several professional golfers and insights into their world.
I carry an 11 handicap and the weekend after finishing this book I shot a 76 after being 3 over through the first 3 holes and finished with 31 total putts. This book will work for you if you are looking to take your game to another level.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect move is to buy this book, December 5, 1999
Antoine Morin (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
I was a 100 player at the beginning of this summer and after reading this book my scores gradually became lower and i even finish the year with a score of 78 at one of the toughest course of my region. I haver beaten guys that were more talented then me just by playing whit my head. If you want to save 490$ buy Doc Rotella's book instead of a new driver... Thanks Bob!

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect
Golf is Not a Game of Perfect by Dr Bob Rotella (Hardcover - May 9, 1995)
$24.99 $18.88