Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Golf Rx: A 15-Minute-a-Day Core Program for More Yards and Less Pain
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 24, 2009
If you play golf and are looking to get in better shape to either improve your game or prevent imjuries, look no further, Golf Rx: A 15-Minute-a-Day Core Program for More Yards and Less Pain is just what the doctor ordered. In fact, it's written by a doctor.

The book is divided up into distinct sections. There's a chapter on exercises to increase the air time and distance of your drives. There also is a chapter with warm-up exercises, another that has stretches you can do at each of the eighteen holes, and a cool-down exercise chapter. No stone is left unturned as the book also gives you three series of exercises, one for core flexibility, one for core strength, and one for core endurance- choose depending on your skill level and what your goals are.

As you can see, this book has definitely got its share of golf execises that should meet most golfer's needs. So if you're trying to get in better shape for you game, or just want to stay away from injuries, this is your book. Also recommend Treat Your Own Rotator Cuff for golfers with shoulder problems that want a more detailed look at shoulder rehab and prevention.
on October 10, 2007
I wish I'd read this book 45 years ago, when I started playing golf. If you're a serious golfer -- one who wants to play your best, and works toward that goal -- you have a choice: get into a good flexibility and strengthening program, or be prepared to spend some really painful time in bed, not playing golf in beautiful weather.
This book provides what you need to lower the likelihood of encountering the pain and misery of golf-related back problems. There are no guarantees in life, but it has transformed golf for this 67-year old.
on January 9, 2010
If you play golf once a week or every day this book is a must read, especially if you are in the over 50 crowd and your range of motion has suffered from years of neglect, meaning stretching, weight training, fitness walking, biking etc. To jump out of the car and into the cart is an invitation for injury even if you are young and fit. It's just that the young and fit don't break as easily or quickly as the older and stiffer like myself. What I like about this book is that he covers all the aspects of how to play good golf without injury. It is not a cookbook of exercises to make you stronger and more flexible. He really wants you to understand what you are doing to your body when you swing a club and how if not done correctly it can lead to injury. He guides the reader through the process of evaluating how to better care for yourself both off the course, just before you play, and the importance of what comes after a game.
The book is divided into three parts. Be sure to read the first part about performance enhancement as it does more than tell you how to get that extra 20 yards off the Tee but how to do it without throwing your back into a spasm. He goes through the mechanics of how your body works for the more challenging part of the game which is mostly the long game. Most golfers are safe from injury when putting but wouldn't it be nice to be able to squat on the ground and read the green?
This section goes through the pre game warm up of 5 minutes, the 15 minute warm up if you have time, how to stay limber through 18 holes exercises, and then the cool down. I especially like the mental game exercises as too many golfers raise their blood pressure when the wheels come off their game. It not only ruins their game and a good day of golf but often the people that are playing with them get affected by negative attitude. Staying mentally calm is really important in golf and critical to the short game when it comes to controlling adrenaline.
Part 2 goes into a series of exercises that you can build a regime around based on your fitness, flexibility, and time. They range from simple stretching to some more robust near calisthenics. It is his advice to do what you feel comfortable doing and build up to the harder exercises if your doctor says it is ok.
Part 3 goes through the injuries that happen to golfers. It is a good summary of why they happen, what they feel like, and how to avoid them.
The book is well written, not preachy, and easy enough to understand and follow the principles he advises for golfers.
on October 31, 2014
Only 5 star I've ever given. The exercise program is top notch for us old guys. The real bonus, unexpected, is a 12 page analysis of Vijay Singh's swing. Its the simplest break down of the golf swing ever and the tips were very helpful for this golfer, even after 55 years of play...
on June 28, 2014
Great tips and techniques to avoid injury. Dr. Vad also has another publication that has similar exercises. I have taken a combination of five daily stretches he describes to stay healthy. My activities are running, golf, and work around the house. Before I started the routine, my back was injured 1-3 times a year for two weeks at a time through my early 30's. I recently played 8 rounds in 5 days, bookended by two 3 mile runs and made out just fine. It has been two years since my last injury.
on August 4, 2011
I'm an active 64-year old grandfather who took up golfing about six years ago. I swim, walk, do strength training and yoga regularly, and carry my clubs when I golf. But when golf season gets into full swing, some of the other activities get left behind. I initially started using these exercises because they do not take a lot of time, but eventually incorporated them into my yoga and golf-specific training program, and they have helped me maintain flexibility. I think the pre- and post-round stretches are quite good, and the chapters on hydration and injury - while not groundbreaking - are excellent reminders on how to take care of your body. Over time this book helped me re-find the discipline to add more core and yoga training for golfing. I also recommend Core Performance Golf by Mark Verstegen and especially Power Yoga by Beryl Bender Birch to help the not-so-young golfers stay flexible and injury-free. There are also many fine golf-specific products such as weighted clubs and swing sticks to help golf fitness.
on June 14, 2007
It was a very easy read. Very little golf stuff but lots of easy exercises to do and could be done in under 20 minutes for better fitness. It has three levels of difficulties. Yes, to golf better, improve on strength and flexibility as the explosive force in a golf swing could result in injury if we are not properly conditioned, especially weekend warriors.
on November 12, 2011
I am 78 years old and have just taken up golf at the beginning of summer. I bought the book about a month ago and it has been a tremendous help. Even though I took lessons, this book covers things that you would never get in a golf class. The stretching, core stabilization and other warnings and ideas for prevention and cure are invaluable.

Well I am now 80. I followed the books advise for a couple of years, but last winter did not stretch at all. The second time I played (early April) I torqued my S I joint. It is now the last of and I am still in pain.May be out for the season. May have to haved surgeru to fuse the joint. When I get back on my feet, I will sure follow the advice again.
on March 30, 2009
I found this to be a very good program for a daily short exercise program for flexibility and muscle toning. It definately increased my range of motion which was restricted due to back injuries.
on August 25, 2007
Taking care of your body will ensure many more years of good golf. This book is a great start, with a simple 15 minute program to keep you (and your game) in good shape!