1,110 Reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars poor golf buddy customer service
Published on September 23, 2012 by unhappy customer

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME product and convenience, June 25, 2012
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
I've been in the market for a golf GPS or rangefinder and have been undecided for a long time. The laser rangefinders are definitely appealing, but the form factor and having to dig a large item out of your bag when you need to get the pin distance was a major drawback. I also looked at a bunch of the new GPS systems, but many of them almost had too many functions and features - enough that I knew I would be distracted during my golf round. Really, all I want is a good, reliable, accurate distance to the pin. This product is it.

I bought this a week ago on Amazon and have tested it at several golf courses -- a few I was unfamiliar with and my home course where I am already dialed into the distances from playing the course several hundred times. This item is very accurate. After I bought it, I was obsessively checking the distance and comparing it with markings on the course. It always matched the plaques or sprinkler head covers of all three courses I ran this on. On one round, I was with someone using a laser and on another round I was with someone using a SkyCaddie. This item matched both each time.

But the biggest plus to this product is the form factor. You can easily clip this onto the side of your hat or your belt and forget it is there. Need the distance to the pin - simple: press the button and it tells you. Need the distance to the front or back of the green - press the button again for three seconds and it tells you. It is very easy to hear, yet is quiet enough that it will not disturb your playing partners - in fact when the volume is turned down halfway, I doubt a playing partner five feet from you could hear it at all. If you don't want the voice, you can just peek down at your belt and see the distance in big numbers on the display, which update in real-time as you walk.

This item has two other features. One is where it will show you the actual shape of the green, and rotates that shape depending on your approach angle. I never really used this, because the graphical interface is simplistic, and I really only needed the distance to the pin. The second feature is very nice -- it will record the distance between any two points. So say you want to know how far you hit your six-iron. You press a small button on the side, then the main button. Then you hit the ball and walk to it. When you get there, you press the main button again and it will tell you how far you hit the ball. I suppose you could just as easily look down before and after you hit and then do a little math, but I still found this feature to be a big bonus. I am already pretty dialed into my club distances, but if you are not exactly sure how far you are hitting each club, this was a nice feature to have.

The first round I played with it was a five-hour round, and I obsessively hit the button as I played to test it out. I still had half the battery life left, so I believe this could easily last two full rounds, especially since under normal conditions I wouldn't be activating it every single time I saw a yardage marker for comparison.

This product is small, the clip is strong so you won't lose it, and it just plain works with an unobtrusive form factor that makes it a huge bonus. The voice is a computer-sounding female voice not unlike Siri on an iPhone.

I was not sure this would be the solution I was looking for -- but now I am certain that every GPS/rangefinder company will be copying this product in the next 6-9 months. It is really great. I love it.

PS - when you get it, it comes with a micro-USB cord. You should go to the GolfBuddy website and make sure you have downloaded the latest firmware version. Mine needed an update, but installing it took only a few minutes and clicks on my Mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I want is my distance, and that is exactly what this does!, May 30, 2012
Susan "Sue in Seattle" (Seattle, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
On a whim I bought this because the other range finders I used were either too bulky, too complicated, too high mainenance, or too hard to read. All I want is my distance so I can select my club. I don't want to have to remember to load the course, or pack batteries. I can't comfortably wear most of them on my belt and the watch ones are huge! (I have enough trouble with golf glove tan without adding watch tan.) This product solves all those issues. I wear it on my shirt and can choose to hit the button and have her tell me the distance or I can look at the display. Accuracy has been excellent. It automatically finds the course and announces the hole I am on. A charge will get you through 36 holes. It will give you distance to front, middle, or back and will also measure a shot distance. It is super easy to use! LOVE IT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good GPS, August 31, 2012
William R. Creech (Bainbridge Island, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
I have resisted buying a gps or laser rangefinder for many years. I had no use for a clumsy device that I would surely lose. Not to mention the time and effort to use it. Then I read about a gps device called "I am Caddie." It sounded great. It was small, light and clipped to the visor of my golf hat. All I had to do was push a button and it would tell me the distance to the center of the green. On the way to buy "I am Caddie" I ran across the Golf Buddy and bought it instead. I am glad that I did.

The main reason I chose Golf Buddy was the display. I didn't have to push a button. The distance was always on display. I had the choice to remove my hat and read the distance, or push the button and hear the distance. The same button would toggle between center, front and back of green. The distance is accurate and quickly displayed. You can walk toward the green and see the distance change. The battery lasts more than 36 holes per charge and it seems like every course is already in Golf Buddy. There is nothing to download.

There is one flaw. The Golf Buddy automatically recognizes the tee that you are on and automatically gives you the distance to that hole. If you hook or slice your shot onto or near another tee, the Golf Buddy will change holes. This can be an inconvience. But, as long as you do not stray onto another tee, you could play an entire round without ever touching the Golf Buddy. One final note, I can't tell that I am wearing the Golf Buddy on my hat.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor golf buddy customer service, September 23, 2012
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
Three weeks after receiving my voice golf buddy it quit working and showed codes across the top of the screen. Emailed golf buddy customer service a couple times and never got a reply. Found a 800 number and called complaining that the unit wasnt very old and had quit working. After several calls i asked to talk to the service supervisor, did not get anywhere with him either but he promised to email me instructions on how to do downloads on how to reprogram the unit. Attempted the downloads but the unit would not connect to the computer. Called golf buddy and they said that an email would be sent to give address to where to send the unit to have it checked out but another week went by and the email didnt come. Called a local golf shop that gave me another golf buddy number to call, the owner also said that he had quit selling golf buddy units due to having problems with their service department. I made several calls asking to speak to the CEO complaing that this almost new unit was not working and that I couldnt receive any satisfaction, a return call was promised but never came. On the 20th of Sept I did receive an email with the instructions on where to send the unit so it could be inspected and maybe repaired. The email states that the repairs could take 15 days once it is received. I have been without this unit for around half the time that I have had it.Golf Buddy customer service is terrible,they dont care about a small time person. I wouldnt reccomend doing business with this company to anyone. Have told all my friends about the problems that I have had with this unit and company and I do know that several have not bought one of these units account of my problems. I dont understand why they wont just replace the unit due to how new it is. Living in Ohio the golf season is coming to an end soon and this unit will have to be shipped out Monday and wait again.I cant explain how unhappy I am with the Golf Buddy company and also frustrated. I wish that nobody will purchase another unit from them and am talking to every course, golf shop or place I visit to tell about this experiance with Golf Buddy!

5.0 out of 5 stars golf buddy voice, June 9, 2012
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
I love my Golf Buddy Voice. With my other range finder I had to download the course, put it in a cup holder on the golf cart, carry it with me if I walked away from the cart, etc. My golf buddy, I turn it on, clip it onto my visor and I'm set for 18. No downloading courses, no yearly fees, no remembering to carry it around. I love this GPS.

1.0 out of 5 stars battery can't recharge after 1 month, October 10, 2012
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
The battery can't be recharged after one month of use. Call customer service to complain. Very bad reliability. It is a good device to have but reliability is so poor. Buyers be aware!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Great first impression, January 16, 2013
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
Last Update - Amazon.com stepped up and arranged a replacement for my golf buddy. The golf buddy needs more than a 90 day warranty and real customer service. The replacement unit works a lot better.

First, the course maps need updating at least one hole on every course I have played is 20 yards off at the 100 yard marker.

Secondly, after a month the Golf Buddy kept restarting and freezing up on the course. I soon realized I only had a 90 warranty. I called and got a RMA, four days later I received my RMA email. Two weeks later Golf Buddy tech support called and told me the unit worked and they couldn't find anything wrong. After another long discussion with Golf Buddy tech support they came to the conclusion the battery was loose. The unit was returned to me. Right away I had the same problems, again. I had to go through the same process. Weeks later Golf Buddy called and told me it was a data cable. I have the unit back and the warranty is gone. Right now I don't know if I going to take my Golf Buddy back to the course.

Finally, it cost $25.00 total to send the unit back twice. It took a lot of my time on and off the course. A quality company would have replaced the unit.

Update - I just went to course with my Golf Buddy (first time after two returns) and it died again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product, December 14, 2012
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
The device was off by 10 to 15 yards everywhere on the course. I took it to a second course and it did the same thing. I called the support line and was told there was a download they would send to my email to fix it. Never arrived. I emailed the support center to inquire about the download and the email was never answered. I returned it to Amazon and was very very happy with the support from Amazon.........

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Money, July 17, 2012
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
Had mine 3 weeks and it worked fine on the six different courses that I have played.This is exacly what I was looking for - simple to use, preloaded with all the courses and fits on your belt or hat. The audio feature is very effective. Several of my friends bought one after seeing mine perform. Only minor issues are that it sometimes takes 12 minutes to locate the course - so turn it on while you are warming up. Also it can get confused when there are fairways perpendicular and close to yours and then you have to manually reset it to your own fairway.

4.0 out of 5 stars almost a terrific little device, one little problem, October 25, 2012
This review is from: GolfBuddy Voice GPS Rangefinder (Sports)
I have only used this a few times but I am pleased with it's operation. I bought a much more expensive model from another mfg. and had to return it because one hole was mapped incorrectly and did not work at all. I also think the accuracy of the GB Voice is better than the more expensive GPS.

It's simplicity may be one of it's better features. I very seldom look at the display. Being told the measurement to the middle of the green is enough for me. Other more expensive devices show you more, distance to water/bunkers/doglegs etc., but for basic distance to the green this is great.

The one problem that has been mentioned by other reviews is the fact that the Voice will jump to a different hole if you get to close to the tee box or whatever sets it off. This happens on my home course on hole seven. If you are in the left rough the Voice will switch to hole 9. The first time out I did not remember how to override this jump so I did not get a yardage from the Voice. The second time I manually changed the Voice back to the proper hole and everything was fine.

As a software tester I think this error should have been found and corrected before release. I also think the problem should be easy to fix.
1. In play mode it should never change more than one hole.
2. In play mode it should never go backwards to a lower numbered hole.
3. In play mode you should have to go to a green then to a tee box before the hole number is allowed to change.

I think the first two steps would fix more than 80% of the jumping holes and if you do the last step I think it would fix 99% of the hole jump problems. How about a quick update Golf Buddy? Manual hole changes would work for shotgun starts or any of the other reasons you do not follow the normal sequence of holes. For the This is the only reason I did not give the Voice a 5 stars.

I do think 2 or 3 of the guys I play with will get a Voice within the next month. I do like mine and I am satisfied with the accuracy.

MGB