Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on April 7, 2008
I had one of the early models made by SkyCaddie, and this device is far superior. It's easier to use, holds 20 downloaded courses (as opposed to 10), finds the course you are at (as opposed to scrolling through a list), is waterproof (as opposed to water resistant), cost far less to get a one year membership to downloadable courses, and turns on in seconds with distances (as opposed to minutes). The 2008 model measures the distance from your last shot so you can tell how far you are hitting each club.

It's very easy to use. Just turn it on. I had no trouble downloading the courses, and I am a Mac user with the Mac Leopard operating system. The Garmin algorithn for finding distances is quick and accurate.

I really like it and can't imaging playing golf without it!
11 comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2008
So far the gps works fine, but it seems to be eating batteries much too quickly. I got 5 rounds out of the first set which was great. Since then, I can't get a full round out of a set of batteries. At first I assumed I was using cheap batteries so I switched to Energizers and still can't get a full round out of a set. I'm now waiting for the weather to warm up a bit and see if it's the cold dragging them down. If it doesn't do better, i'm calling the company for a new unit or a refund. I love how it works when it's working, but, it sucks to play 12-15 holes and then see a "low battery" indicator come on!!!
66 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2008
I've had my Garmin for a couple of weeks now and it's fabulous knowing accurate yardages (even when you need to play up an adjacent hole!)

I was undecided on the Garmin Golf Logix vs Sky Caddy choice, but went with the Garmin for their ease of use, customer support (I've heard it's very poor with Sky Caddy), and price.

I like that it's powered by 2 AA batteries (easy replacement of battery mid round (though I've played 4 rounds and the originals are still going strong)

It would be nice if you could track your last shot yardage and still toggle to the green/hazard yardage info to help your buddies (right now, it's one or the other option, not both), but for the price, I really feel I made the right choice.
on May 4, 2008
Very please with my purchase. The Garmin GPS works as advertise, all I have to do is turn it on and it recognizes which course I am on. You can download 20 courses. It gives accurate yardages front, center and back of green and to doglegs and hazards. My favorite feature is measuring yardage of tee shots. I don't want to play without it.
on May 9, 2008
I purchased the GPS-7 in March 2008 from Amazon. I registered the device and paid the $30 annual fee. A few days later, Golflogix announced the GPS-8. I was a little unhappy about that since I hadn't even had the chance to evaluate it. I emailed Golflogix and told them of my situation. They offered me a credit toward the GPS-8. The GPS-8 had a few additional features that I thought were worth the upgrade. So, I used the credit and upgraded. When I tried to upload my home course to the GPS-8, the software wouldn't recognize the new device. Each account is linked to a specific device. I asked if my old account could be transferred to the new device. Unfortunately, it couldn't. I had to cancel my subscription for the GPS-7 and pay another $30 for the GPS-8. The good news is that Golflogix credited me one of annual subscription charges. I have to say that Golflogix has EXCEPTIONAL customer service. Now, on to the review...

I have used the GPS-8 a few times now and can say that I really enjoy using it. It has been extremely helpful on the course with determining distances to hazards and other points on the golf course. I think this is more useful than a laser rangefinder since a laser rangefinder requires you to be able to see your target to measure it and sometimes requires you to have a very steady hand. The GPS-8 will tell you the distance to hazards from anywhere without a direct line of sight and without any effort. All of the features of the GPS-8 that are described on their website work and I have not had any issues except one: battery life. I get about 2-3 rounds/set of AA batteries. Obviously, longer battery life is better. The good thing is that the GPS-8 uses common AA batteries and not a proprietary battery pack. Just keep a spare set of AA batteries in your golf bag and you're good to go. With consistent use, the GPS-8 could easily help lower one's handicap and is an indispensible tool for course management.
on August 12, 2008
Good luck with contacting their customer service. Does anyone answer GolfLogix's telephone? I even faxed a message, still no response. When I attempt to download a course, an error message appears that their system is down (now going into week three) On the positive side, the device works with my current list of courses.GolfLogix GPS by Garmin (2008 Model)
on August 19, 2008
When I retired some time ago I purchased a new set of clubs, bag, cart, Bushnell 1500 and the Sky Caddie. Recently purchase the latest Golflogic 2008 model and was up and running in 15 minutes with 20 courses of my choice.

Advantages over the Sky Caddie:

Batteries. I carry four extra in my bag for the Golflogix and in the past I have forgotten to charge up the Sky Caddie and it went dead half way through my round.

The Sky Caddie is slow and you have to scroll through to select your course. The Golflogix selects the course and hole you are on when you turn it on. A very nice feature.

Feel better about this unit being water proof. With the Sky caddie I purchased a waterproof bag container for the rainy days. (Which we get in Vancouver).

One yearly fee and you download 20 courses anywhere. With the Sky caddie I had to pay additional fee's to download one course I go to in Wa.

Big Bright view. I am sure this is because of the new technology. I would think the latest Sky Caddie would be bright as well.

Con to the Golflogix over the Sky Caddie

You cannot map your own course with the Golflogix as you can with the Sky Caddie. If your course is not on the list to download you could map it yourself. As I purchased the Sky Caddie at the beginning I had to map a few of the courses myself. You cannot map your own course with the Golflogix.

I attach both to my Sun Mountain cart. My buddies like to know their distance to the pin and I always have the unit on distance of my shot when I advance after hitting my ball. This way I have the best of both worlds.

I use the Bushnell 1500 with the slope as well. Sometimes you just want to know the distance to trees,,,landing area, the flag,,,downhill or uphill shots (This makes a difference as it compensates for the addition or subtraction of the distance).

With all these toys you would think it would improve my golf game, ha ha...well my skill level needs improvement however I love to know how far I hit my shots,,,how far I need to hit them,,,,it makes my day a lot more relaxed and sometimes I hit the shot of the day.....

If you are reading this review I would like to put a plug in for Sun Mountain. I purchased the C130 bag, the V2 cart, and the cooler bag. The umbrella fits into the top of the cart and you can easily get under it without bending over. I am 6'1" and am very happy with the set up.

Upon retirement as mentioned I purchased a complete set of clubs. In hindsight I would go to a professional shop and have the clubs made for my body, swing, speed etc.

The Golflogix GPS 2008 Model is a winner!

Hope this review helps

Old Fart with Old habits,,,,
on May 6, 2008
One of the reasons I asked for this as a gift from my wife was my previous experience with Garmin. The other reason was the horrible reputation that Sky Golf has for customer service. Well, I outsmarted myself again. Golf Logix is so bad at customer service I feel like sending the unit back. As usual, the company spends all it's money on marketing and none on adequate personnel for customer service. Nobody answers phone or e-mail and mine will not load onto my computer despite following all the instructions on their 38 page "user guide". A waste of my time!!!! It is now Aug 9th and still no response concerning my promised refund! The president of this company even answered my e-mail and directed his staff to look into my situation after I forwarded an e-mail from one of the so called customer service personel saying the check was forthcoming in 5 business days. That was in June. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE is more like it!!!!!! Do not buy this companys products and save your time and money.
on May 20, 2008
This is a great product - agrees very well with GPS onboard at my course. Very easy to do9wnload new courses. Ability to add courses not on GolfLogix course list a gtreat plus.
on April 17, 2008
I got my golflogix 04-16-08.

I had a small learning curve to download (Windows xp)the program and entered 20 courses.

Pros: Every yardage marker on the screen was spot on.I have an index of 14.8 and I usually shoot a 88 to 85.

I used it for the first time today (04-17-08) and was hot off the first tee. Maybe it was because I could relax knowing the golf logix would tell me my ranges, but my score told the story. My freinds were in shock that I beat guys whom have been playing for years. I just started 3yrs ago.

Cons: It does not give your yardages to trees, only bunkers and water. I had to purchase the 29.95 package or the system would not let me advance.(Maybe I was doing something wrong, but over all great product. Amazon delivered in 4days.

Thanks.