Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Package Quantity: 1Style Name: CLASSICChange

on November 3, 2009
My son and I both like this game. Unlike with the other reviewer, our pump works just fine. We've never run out of burgers before the belly inflates and the jacket bursts open.

However, I suspect the problem they ran into is that your 3yo (in our case) has to stand over the toy, hold hands in CPR form, and push down on the head (while you hold the feet) and push until it clicks once for each number. A #3 burger means three CPR pushes and three clicks. It really is hard to push than it should be.

Like the other reviewer said, the belt never stays closed, and the jacket usually bursts open one notch right at the first pump. The losing pump is still pretty obvious, though, with the jacket bursting open completely and both arms flying up in the air.

We both find it enjoyable and easy to play, but don't expect this to be a table game; it's a floor game due to the inflating position required.

One great plus: all the burgers and the die store right inside the pig. After the last round, just feed the outstanding pieces to him (don't inflate) and it's ready to store. I like games that are unlikely to lose pieces :)
11 comment67 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2009
When I saw this game in the store ads I thought it looked like a neat little board game. [...]

Pop the Pig requires no assembly and comes with said pig, 16 hamburgers, and a colored die. Each player rolls the die which tells them what color hamburger to feed the pig (there are 4 colors: red, yellow, green, & purple). Each hamburger has a number on its bottom bun that tells players how many times to push down on the pig's chef hat. This inflates the pig's belly, which will eventually cause his belly to pop out. This process is repeated until only one person has avoided causing the pig's belt to unbuckle, making them the winner.

The game has a simple and humorous concept but doesn't quite live up to its potential. Players have to really push down on the pig's hat in order for the belly to inflate. I've found that pushing down with both hands is necessary in order to get enough air to the pig's belly. It feels similar to performing CPR, and young children may get winded from exerting so much effort. The piggy makes a clicking noise each time it inflates, which is a welcome indicator to let you know your pushes have registered.

Even with this shortcoming, Pop the Pig is still a pleasant game. Young children around the ages of 3-8 will likely get a kick out of seeing the pig's belly expand and ultimately explode. Players may become a little flustered at the amount of presses it takes to get the pig to budge and overall short playing time but the game is entertaining in short bursts. I wouldn't suggest spending more than $20 on it, though.

Pros:
*Amusing concept
*Can be played with up to 6 people
*Very easy to pack/unpack (the box has plenty of room to fit all of the game's contents)
*Some variation in how quickly the Pig explodes

Cons:
*Instructions aren't as clear as they should be
*Game only takes about 15 minutes at most to finish
*Getting the pig to pop takes a lot of effort and presses to the head
0Comment71 of 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2012
As a special education teacher of preschool children, I am always looking for educational activities for my students. After reading the mixed reviews on this, I decided to give it a chance and bought it. My students LOVE it. They love feeding the pig, and pushing down on his head. I love that the children learn colors, counting, numbers 1-4 and turn taking. My 3 year old daughter also loves playing this game. My four year old kids have no difficulty pushing down the pigs head, but my three year old struggles. The plastic part on the belt does come off easily, but I haven't had a problem putting it back on. Definetly recommend this to parents and therapists.
on December 3, 2009
I bought Pop the Pig for my three-year-old nephew. He loves it! He plays with it without following any rules..it is a game that will keep his interest as he gets older and understands more about winning. He thinks he is a winner every time he plays it ..keeping him very entertained. His sister is seven and she and her sleepover pals loved it also. Lots of giggles! So this is a game that I highly recommend for both genders and younger as well as older children.
0Comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2012
This game was a dud. I was really disappointed and so was my 4 year old. It's belly does not bust like it does on tv. For a 4 year old the head is not easy to push down when you feed the pig.
on January 14, 2013
We got this as a Christmas present. Because of the negative reviews on here we thought of possibly returning it without even trying it out. Thankfully we did try and we love it. My 4 yr old wants to play it all the time. Everything works on it. Yes pumping the head down might be a little hard for a very young child but it really doesn't take that much pressure to do it. Can't understand why so many people are having problems with it. As I am typing this my 4 yr old wants to play it again. My 6 yr old also has a lot of fun with this game.
on December 15, 2010
I HAD PURCHASED THIS GAME WHEN I SAW IT ON TV - IT LOOKED LIKE A LOT OF FUN. I ORDERED TWO. ONE FOR MY HOUSE FOR MY GRANDCHILDREN AND ONE FOR A GIFT. ME & MY 9 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER PLAYED THE GAME AND FOR THE FIRST FEW MINUTES IT WAS FUN. THEN THE ARMS WOULD GO OUT WHEN YOU PUSHED ON HIS HEAD THE FIRST TIME AFTER RESETTING IT. MOST OF THE TIME HIS BELLY WOULD NOT POP OPEN. WE WERE VERY CAREFUL TO NOT BE ROUGH WITH IT BUT IT STILL DID NOT WORK RIGHT MOST OF THE TIME. I AM RETURNING BOTH OF THE GAMES I PURCHASED. I WANT A GAME THAT I PAY GOOD MONEY FOR TO LAST MORE THAN 30 MINUTES.
on December 26, 2011
Like so many other reviews, this toy is a complete disappointment. It just doesn't work. There is no sound or click or any indication that the pig is inflating when his hat is pushed. His belt never flies open. it takes 15 more pushes to get the pigs arms to fly up than there are numbers on the game pieces. This is actually the worst piece of trash I have ever bought in my 40 years of playing with toys.
on August 11, 2012
This game is definitely not a quality-parts game, but then again what do you expect when everything is made of cheap plastic parts? That being said, my daughter's main request for her birthday was this game. I read the reviews and knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I was buying it for her and not for me. The look of joy on her face when she opened it, and the fun she's had with it since she got it, has been well worth the purchase...my daughter loved it, cheap parts and all. We've had problems with the belt buckle popping off, but it's easily put back on again, nothing too major, it works like it says it's supposed to and it made one little girl very happy on her birthday.
on May 22, 2012
If I could give it less than one star, I would. Despite all of the negative reviews on this game, I bought it. My son was desperate to own this dumb game. And just like so many others said, this game does not work at all. His little tummy does not inflate, no matter how I push, coax, beg or cry. Broken, right out of the box. We have read and reread the directions, gone inside his belly to see if there's a problem, twisted the tail, reset the arms. Damn thing just does not work. I had intended to test it in the store before purchasing, since I saw so many negative reviews, but the smart manufacturer puts it on the store shelves in a completely sealed box - wrapped tight, so you cannot try it in advance. Otherwise, I'm sure they wouldn't sell any. All of this said, my son is still somewhat fascinated with the non-functioning pig and the hamburgers and likes just sticking them in the pig's mouth. We may keep it and use it as some kind of piggy bank. Or we may keep it for a week or so, until he gets bored with it, and then return it to our local store of purchase.
11 comment8 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse