5.0 out of 5 stars Cathi Hanauer does it again!
Published on July 1, 2012 by A fan, NJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Parts good, mostly disappointing
It's hard to believe ANYONE would give this book five stars. Yikes.

The summary of the story on the book jacket pulled me in. A husband leaves to take the babysitter home and doesn't come back.

OK...were they having an affair? Is he kidnapping the babysitter? Are they both being kidnapped? Were they in an accident?

But the story is...
Published on June 27, 2012 by booklover343

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cathi Hanauer does it again!, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Hardcover)
I read GONE in a single day, barely stopping to do anything else. I love the way this author writes--it's gorgeous and funny but also deep and SO real. This book is a fantastic portrayal of a marriage as it moves into middle age and encounters some pretty dramatic bumps--in this case, a husband who can't do the work that's supported the family for years, and a wife who, along with being worried about their financial situation, feels herself aging and losing her children as they grow up--but who's also pragmatic and won't let age (or her husband's situation) keep her from doing what needs to be done. The kids are pitch-perfect; the 8-year-old boy is delicious, and I held my breath as the 14-year-old girl made one potentially self destructive decision after another. The themes of nutritional chaos (Eve, the main character, is a part-time nutritionist who counsels overweight clients) and of time and technology moving so fast we can barely keep up beautifully compliment the main story--husband goes to drive the (adult) babysitter home and doesn't come back. Where has he gone? How will Eve and the children go on without him, especially when he was the main earner? We see her side, his side, and the outside, all woven together into a beautiful quilt of love, loss, and LIFE. Highly recommend this book to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Parts good, mostly disappointing, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Hardcover)
It's hard to believe ANYONE would give this book five stars. Yikes.

But the story is not that interesting. Turns out (spoiler alert) that the husband is bored with his life and the babysitter's mother lives in Arizona and is ill. The husband's mother also lives in Arizona so on the spur of the moment he decides to just leave and drive the babysitter to see her mother and he will visit his mother. He does not tell his family he is going.

Now the wife is mostly interesting and developed character - I liked her - but her response to his disappearance is totally unbelievable. She just sort of accepts it. Ho Hum...wonder if he will come back? She a dietician and has authored a book on healthy eating. The case studies about some of her patients were interesting and engaging.

The husband is really only a shadow character to me...we never get to understand him or really want to! He could have been really developed since he is a sculptor and suffering a dry spell in his life.

When he comes back his wife just sort of accepts it and the family gets on with things. If it were me, he would have a LOT of explaining to do!!!

There are so many good books out now - pick something else for a good read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Story About Lack of Communication--Good Read, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Hardcover)
Gone by Cathi Hanauer is an excellent book about balancing work, family and marriage. Through the inner workings of the Adams family, the author shows the importance of communication between husband and wife and changes that inevitably happen in a marriage. Eve is a part-time nutritionist and new author whose book is selling well. Her husband is a sculpture whose lost his inspiration and hasn't really sold anything for a couple years. Consequently, Eve feels angry and Erik feels useless which leads to depression and a little 6-week vacation that he neglects to tell his family about. What really got Eve angry was that Eric took off with their babysitter!

I liked this contemporary fiction book about modern family life and liked the ending. I found it interesting that my husband and I liked different characters. He liked all except for the husband and I liked the husband and the son better than the mother and daughter. I think this could be a good book for a book club to discuss, not only the marriage aspect but also the wife's work, Eric's mother and sisters, and Eric's work and the family dynamics. The bottom line is that a good marriage is high maintenance and needs constant attention. I recommend this book to any who like contemporary fiction about relationships.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could provoke great discussions, July 21, 2012
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Hardcover)
Eve Adams has worked part-time and taken care of her children while supporting her husband the sculptor. He has had some success in the past but now seems to be in a creative slump. Eve has taken her knowledge of food and written a book and counsels people how to eat healthy and lose weight. Her business is growing, the book goes into a second printing. Her husband, Eric. takes her out to celebrate. She thought the evening went fine until her husband leaves to take home the sitter and disappears.

She has no idea where he went or what is going on but the sitter is missing too. She needs to take care of the kids, the house and the bills and wait to her from her husband. Is he gone forever?

Dollycas's Thoughts

The characters in this story were very interesting. For the most part real and each with their own set of flaws. The one thing that bothered me about this book was passivity of the wife. I understand staying strong for your kids, being scared for the future, and not wanting people to know your husband left you but I felt she needed to put more effort into what was really going on, especially after the husband contacted their daughter. She took on the whole load herself including their quickly emptying checkbook.

I wanted to hate Eric for just running away but he was definitely suffering from a major case of depression. I felt terrible for the kids and Eve had her hands full with a teenager trying to make the most of her father's absence by putting herself into some dangerous situations and a son just trying to understand why his dad left.

This is a story of family dynamics, trying to balance everything, work, kids, family, marriage and life in general. The ending was just too easy for me. This was a major upheaval in this marriage and the reactions of all the characters just seemed off.

The characters may not have acted in the way I wanted but this was still a good story of a very complicated life circumstances. I think that is what the author was going for, unexpected reactions by the characters. Otherwise this book would be like thousands of others. Written this way it creates conflict for the reader which got us involved in the story. You are actually upset with the way things are playing out and the pages keep turning.

Yes, I am a bit conflicted. This is not a story that I am going to scream and shout that you must read but it still a worthy read. It may be a good group read because I think it would prompt healthy discussion. Sometimes we need a story like this to shake up our views a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great One from Cathi Hanauer, June 22, 2012
Delaney Faulk (Philadelphia, Pa.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Hardcover)
Cathi Hanauer has the ability to take the small truths of marriage, pull them apart, and examine them so that we finally truly see what it going on in our own lives - as well as the characters' lives in the story. It is also a great read. If you liked Sweet Ruin, then you will love this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gone, a novel, August 21, 2012
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Hardcover)
This wasn't my kind of book but it was interesting. Good to read in areas you don't normally. My book club thought it was good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gone, the novel, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This was a great book. It is not YA, which seems to dominate the market these days. It is about an average married couple with real life issues. I really enjoyed reading it. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, you will see yourself in these pages....I loved this book!, July 8, 2012
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
Wow, wow, wow, wow, I don't even know how to tell you that I loved this book. It was fantastic, I wanted to keep reading but I didn't want it to end either. The closer I got to the end the slower I started to read, I wanted to know what would happen but I also knew that with this sort of book that the ending would really only be another beginning. I saw myself in these pages and it was fascinating and really made me double take often. Was this book about me? Well NO, but WOW.....or did I say that already? I hope this is expressing how much I enjoyed this book. 5 Stars +.

The struggle in this book for me was who to hate, and who to cheer for or against. I wanted to hate Eric and then I wanted to hug him. Whose side should I take? That is the problem with couple relationships especially in a divorce situation...who do you get to keep in the divorce of your good friends? What a pain that you can't keep them both. Well this book is wonderful, thought provoking, well written, amazing and WOW. You need to read this book if you are married, or in a long term relationship, or thinking of being in either in the future. This book will open your eyes and let you know- you are not the only one in how you feel alone in a room full of people you know. You are worried about you and everyone else is worried about themselves and who can you talk to?

Read this book especially if it is the only one you read this month. I am still thinking about Eve and Eric and I finished this book a week ago. Kids, work, church, friends, enemies, spouses, family members and every other thing in your life that pulls your attention is in this book. How do you decide what is the most important and what you can let go? That is the question for the ages and I have no answers for you. Read this book and see yourself and how maybe you can figure out what is truly important before it is gone....for good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bored in the beginning, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I had a hard time staying with this book. Read it for a book club so did keep on until the end. It doesn't spur me to read any more books by htis author.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, August 22, 2012
Pam Asberry (Dacula, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone: A Novel (Hardcover)
Oh, how I loved this book! Eve Adams is a forty two-year old woman struggling to maintain the balance between home and work; her husband Eric, a once-brilliant sculptor, has lost his muse and, consequently, the ability to support his family. To help make ends meet, Eve has embarked on a career as a freelance nutritionist following the success of her recently published book on health and weight loss. Feeling more and more superfluous with each day that passes, Eric leaves to take the babysitter home one night and just doesn't come home. Blindsided, Eve must figure out where he has gone and why without damaging him in the eyes of their two children, especially their capricious fourteen-year old daughter.

Told from the points of view of both Eve and Eric, Gone deals with a range of contemporary issues, including health and fitness, the meaning of art, survival in a faltering economy, the challenge of raising teenagers, and marriage and fidelity. It is a realistic portrait of two complex human beings; as a single woman who often feels like I am simply playing the best hand I can with the cards life deals me, I could relate very well to Eve and her thoughts, feelings and decisions. This book kept me up late at night turning the pages all the way until the highly satisfying conclusion. Very highly recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Gone: A Novel
Gone: A Novel by Cathi Hanauer (Hardcover - June 19, 2012)
$24.99 $20.98