Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2012 12:58:17 PM PDT
While this book was so "gripping", I couldn't put it down, when the end was near, I thought no, no, this can't be right. Not if you held any compassion for Amy's tragic husband. The ONLY consolation is...........Gillian, you've GOT to write a sequel and make things right. Amy is such a narsascist, there is no way she can "mother".
Do Andy "right"

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 6:37:35 AM PDT
KCronan1 says:
SPOILERS!!! MAJOR SPOILERS!!

I think the book ended the way that it had to. I have considered many different ways that it could have ended, and I think that by far this was the most fitting based on the great characters created in the book. Amy had to come back, she was too much of a narcissist and too proud of her successful disappearance to just kill herself. She also needed to see Nick's admiration for her evil plot first hand. She was out of money and Desi was being too difficult for her to control. This left her no other option but the go back to Nick. Nick, ever in need of approval, couldn't just leave and divorce her right after her return until he was able to prove what she had done. Even with Det. Boney's help, Nick and Go didn't have any solid proof on Amy. If he had left Amy, Nick would have looked terrible to Amy's adoring public. Amy knew all of this, but she also knew she had to do something to gain Nick's true loyalty. Hence the pregnancy. As flawed as Nick was, he still deep down wanted to be a good guy and do the right thing, especially when it came to parenting. Amy knew he wouldn't leave her with their baby. He couldn't prove she was lying about the kidnapping, so he couldn't try to divorce her and gain custody because the public was on Amy's side. Beyond this, who knows... Maybe Nick will screw up, piss Amy off, and have a fatal household "accident" in a few years like Go fears. Maybe Nick will evntually crack under the pressure and kill Amy in fit rage. One of these seems most likely, but what if they are both so nervous about themselves that they actually sustain the fake personalities and the "happy" marriage and up raising a perfectly happy little sociopath? I think it was a brilliant ending and I think it speaks volumes about Flynn's writing of these two characters that I feel like I know them enough to come up with scenarios for their twisted future together! As much as i would love to read more about this nuclear (haha) family, I don't think a sequel would be a good idea in this case. I would rather wonder about what might happen...

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 12:20:34 PM PDT
K. Walz says:
Spoiler Alert:

Did it bother anybody that nobody checked where Desi was July 5? With all the attention to detail, nobody checked???? If he had a lunch reservation an hour away, was on that Greek island, was home with a servant in that big house? Nothing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 10:45:34 AM PDT
For sure!

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 4:03:54 PM PDT
Thanks KCronan1 - I agree with you 100%. It was the way I was thinking about the ending, however did not have the eloquence to write it like you did.

Didn't you love it when Amy asked why he was being so nice to her and he said: "Because every morning you have to wake up and be you." Loved it!

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 8:48:04 PM PDT
AriesPA says:
Great summary of the ending KCronan1 as well as speculating on what happens next. I know a lot of people wanted to see Amy get what's coming to her, but the ending somehow seems like a more natural fit for the story's trajectory. It reminds me of the movie "Matchpoint" where the bad guy didn't get what was coming to him either.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 1:43:40 AM PDT
E. J. Mcgill says:
As one who "writes," I'm usually more curious about the one than the five star reviews, especially when the rated book is a big seller--which this is. For a couple of reasons. First, many big name reviewers do it for the exposure and as a favor, hoping the author reciprocates. Secondly, negative reviewers almost always have a concrete reason for their single star rating. In this case its mostly about the ending. KCronan has pretty well hit the nail. This is the only ending that really works. Although it may not make the reader feel all warm inside, it is--well, perfect, especially in the sense that the story really isn't over.
Regardless, this is an outstanding piece of work.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2012 12:16:09 PM PDT
I don't want to sound stubborn or unable to change my mind or opinion, however, I recently saw Gillian on a talk show. They're making a movie of "Gone Girl". Now THAT should be interesting. Also there was "talk" of a sequel. Our author just smiled.

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 4:24:38 PM PDT
AriesPA says:
Yeah, I think I read somewhere that Reese Witherspoon is supposed to play Amy. She'd be excellent in it, just like she nailed the character Tracy Flick in "Election."

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 4:15:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 4:18:25 PM PDT
M. Rite says:
I ejoyed this book and could hardly put it down to go to sleep at night, but the ending was such a let down! I thought that Desi's mom would pull the rug out from underneathe Amy with some major revelation (cameras at the lake house or something). Also, what about that man at the diner/bar who kept staring at Amy? I thought he'd later come out of the woodwork and discount her story. What was the point of him staring at her?

I just hate that she "got away with it". That disgusts me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 5:51:21 PM PDT
AriesPA says:
I think the man at the bar was a red herring, kind of like Nick's girlfriend who kept acting stalkerish and creepy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 8:36:03 AM PDT
E. J. Mcgill says:
Was going to make the same "red Herring" comment. Effective mysteries generally have a sprinkling of these to throw the reader off the scent.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 12:35:46 PM PDT
I think Nick's girlfriend was just "Young and Dumb". Nick should have known better.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 3:55:17 PM PDT
AriesPA says:
When she kept insisting that Nick call her everyday and then started turning up unexpectedly, I thought for she might have a larger role in the overall scheme of things. But like Linda says, she was just young and dumb. Nick should have known better, but then he did a lot of things I'm still having trouble figuring out.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 3:43:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 3:45:21 PM PDT
KCronan1, that is the best summary I have seen. I would not advise readers to check it out before they read the book. But if you read the book and liked it, your summary helps put it in words why the book totally works.
SERIOUS SPOILER FOLLOWS SO STOP IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK:

For those still chafing over the ending, then perhaps KCronan1's summary will aid in helping rid the itch to see Amy burn. I think it also effectively answers those who think that the pregnancy should have been the result of Amy seducing Nick back into her bed -- no, that was not going happen. But the best leverage she could have would be a baby, and ever the planner, of course, she would have thought about that in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:26:32 AM PDT
E. J. Mcgill says:
Endings are a bitch. As an off-and-on mystery/suspense writer (presently working on murder/suspense novel, Frail Children of Dust) I can say, without reservation, that no matter how you end a novel, someone will find fault with it. Unfortunately, the deeper an author paints him/herself into a corner (i.e. the "better" the story), the greater the percentage of dissenters, which begs the question: Shouldn't a perfect novel result in a 50-50 split between those who like and those who dislike the ending?

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 10:40:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2013 11:36:09 AM PST
I'm one of those who absolutely LOVED the book and was breathless with anticipation -- until I got to the end. The end was such a massive let down I would have thrown the book out the window if it hadn't been on my Kindle. My feeling was that the author constructed such a fiendish plot that was so impeccably constructed that, by ending it the way she did, I got the impression she ran out of ideas -- wrote herself into a corner -- that she just quit.

I think KCronan1's scenarios are good one and if the author had done that there would have been some sense of resolution. I wasn't looking for a happy ending by any means. Nick was no prize. But the abrupt ending felt like a cheat -- like the author had built up this incredible anticipation and then said "tough luck" and abandoned it. I think the book should be subtitled "Outsmarted by a Psychopath."

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 2:10:59 PM PDT
I have never reviewed any of the 185 books I have downloaded to my Kindle. I disliked this particular book - Gone Girl - so much that I want to delete it! Another pyschopath. The ending was just too disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 7:33:04 AM PDT
Libbymae says:
I just love your entire analysis of this book. You expressed what I found difficult to put into words myself. I had commented that I'm still mulling this book over, a month after finishing it. It was really fascinating.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 4:54:54 AM PDT
ree says:
Yes, after to agree with DJ Mcgill, guess I was looking for that all warm inside feeling, so was not happy with ending, but agree that really that was the only way it could end. I wonder if it were made into a movie if the ending would have to go, people like to walk out of the theater with some satisfaction of justice was served.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 4:56:52 AM PDT
ree says:
Me too, wanted so badly for her to get caught and they would haul her off to jail and Nick would live happily ever after......yeah right.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 11:34:30 AM PDT
I'm glad to see other readers agree, at least in part, with my "take" on this book. I had my husband read it. He hated it! I think, to most people, as stated in the the above messages, Gillian, you LET US DOWN, YOU LET ANDY DOWN, YOU LET THE PROBABLE BABY DOWN! Where's your sequel?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 3:03:23 PM PDT
I totally agree. I doubt I'd buy a sequel even if she wrote -- I don't trust her.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 9:11:04 AM PDT
J. Fix says:
I agree! I felt like there were too many holes in her story for the police to actually buy it. How could the cops think she was really hog tied and kidnapped, yet there was only blood found in the kitchen? What about the living room or the trunk of Desi's car? And the fact that there was no mention of Desi's whereabouts for weeks to confirm her story? MAJOR plot hole in my opinion. All that being said, I was still surprised by the pregnancy, generally was entertained by the book, and wished the ending would have been better.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 12:25:43 PM PDT
C. Nelson says:
THANK YOU. Or the couple of days after when he was supposed to have been driving around with her in the trunk. I thought it was too big a detail to leave out when much less significant details were included.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gone Girl: A Novel forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2012
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gone Girl: A Novel
Gone Girl: A Novel by Gillian Flynn
3.8 out of 5 stars   (20,474)