5.0 out of 5 stars Gone to Ground a Fabulous Read!
In this novel Brandilyn Collins takes us to Amaryllis a little town in Mississippi where everybody knows everybody. And everybody knows what the other is doing. But nobody knows who `The Closet Killer' is. Three women think they know who he is, but each woman suspects a different man.

The Closet Killer has murdered five women in the past three years. They were...
Published on January 31, 2012 by Marian Baay

3.0 out of 5 stars Collins has written better
I hate to blast one of my favorite suspense authors, but Gone to Ground doesn't deserve all the hype it's getting. This book was okay, but I usually expect much more from Brandilyn Collins. The mystery wasn't as compelling as it usually is. The description on the back sounded interesting and unusual, but sadly, it fell flat. The book is narrated from the perspectives of...
Published on June 22, 2012 by M.O.A.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone to Ground a Fabulous Read!, January 31, 2012
Marian Baay (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews

The Closet Killer has murdered five women in the past three years. They were all stabbed with a knife in their neck and were found in their bedroom closet. Now a sixth woman was found murdered.

Three women are convinced that the man they know has murdered this last victim. Cherrie Mae thinks one of her clients did it. Deena thinks her brother did it. Tully thinks her husband did it. They all have believable arguments to think that the man they know is the killer.
The women get together and learn from each other that all three men have a motive to have murdered this last victim. Together they try to figure out who the real killer is.

Gone to Ground is a gripping page-turner. The story was very well written. I loved to read each woman's thoughts and their own manner of speech. This made the characters more real to me.
Usually I figure out pretty soon who the bad guy is, but not this time. I had not guessed who the killer was. Good job, Brandilyn!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Ending!!!, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
Wow! What a book! What an ending! When it comes to suspense look no further than this book, it won't let you down. Gone to Ground is told from three different women with there own point of view and they all think they know who the murderer is but the catch is they all suspect someone different. Brandilyn Collins does a great job writing in this style because she truly gives each character her own unique voice. After reading each characters sections a couple of times you can tell who is who by the writing style which is something you don't always get from other books written like this. I loved Cherrie Mae in this book she was by far my favorite and really made the setting truly southern. Her accent and mannerisms were so much fun to read and I could picture her very vividly. Suspense books to me can be either very fun to read or kind of a let down. This book is not a let down by any means and when I found out who the murderer was I was completely shocked and never in a million years would have suspected that person. What I though happened was pretty much all wrong and that makes it fun. I do not want to read a suspense book and withing the first half or so be able to solve it and be right.Gone to Ground is definitely a solid 5 star novel and I will be reading more from Brandilyn Collins in the future.

* I received this book from the publisher through PR by the book for the purpose of this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!! Gone to Ground was such a GREAT book!!, May 19, 2012
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
I'm quite familiar with Brandilyn Collins' books (I think I've read every suspense book she's published so far) and she is one of my favorite authors! Gone to Ground might just be my favorite of hers to date! I absolutely loved it!!

The way the chapters were set up was great! They were written in first person, but the POV went back-and-forth between Cherrie Mae, Tully, and Deena. Also, every once in a while, there was an excerpt from The Jackson Bugle.

Gone to Ground was a great mystery - it kept me guessing! It wasn't until the last moment that I guessed who "The Closet Killer" was and even then there were some twists left.

I can only think of one thing I didn't like in Gone to Ground - how it portrayed God talking to Cherrie Mae. Other than that, I completely loved this book and it is one of my favorite books now.

If you are looking for a great mystery novel, you should definitely try Gone to Ground. I think you'll have a hard time guessing what happens. :)

*I received this book for free for my review. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mystery!, April 30, 2012
Full Review at:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Review Source: NetGalley
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers

I can't think of a better way to describe Gone to Ground other than PERFECT! Author Brandilyn Collins sure knows how to hook a reader's attention and take them on a journey they will think about long after the story is over. With its laugh-out-loud funny quotes from Cherrie Mae, Collins gave this page turner the WOW-factor which made it a heart-stopping, adrenaline pumping, turbulent, whirlwind sleuthing mystery. Once I started, I couldn't get enough of each Southern Belle and the choices they had to make, fears they had to overcome, and the murder that brought them all together.

Gone to Ground is told in the first-person perspective from three women who live in the small town of Amaryllis, Mississippi. Each woman, with ages ranging from 19 to 60's, contributes to the unique southern charm and highly contagious dialect of the novel. Cherrie Mae, a housekeeper for just about everyone in the town, has to be one of the strongest and wisest people in Amaryllis. With this character, Collins captured the heart and soul of southern African American women. She was a sassy, comical, no-nonsense, you-better-listen-to-me-I'm-your-elder kind of lady. Often throughout the story I pictured her to be a few different women from my own church. I loved it! It excited me, and brought out my own Southern Girl Attitude! She was definitely the voice of reason and the glue that held the characters together.

Tully and Deena are the other two women MC's in the story. Tully, a teenager about to give birth to her first child with her abusive husband, starts off as a shy and frightened young woman. Because of her love for one man she makes choices, albeit some were better than others, which essentially affect her marriage. Hanging on to the hope that her husband will change, she is forced to decide between doing the right thing and protecting the man she loves. Over the course of the novel, I enjoyed her transformation from humble to courageous. It was genuine, well constructed, and relatable. Deena, a hairdresser, was also a delight to read. She was passionate, witty, and never let any of the men around her push her into doing something she didn't want to do. And once these women teamed up, they became unstoppable.

Overall, Gone to Ground is a novel I expected nothing from. I didn't even expect it to be good. However, I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of enjoyment I received from devouring this novel over the course of a few hours. It's definitely a quick read with a satisfying conclusion. And a wondrous break from the usual paranormal romance books I read. I recommend this book to everyone, men and woman alike, in hopes that you will find these True Southern Women a great addition to your reading collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is not a Nancy Drew book, OHH NO!!!, February 16, 2012
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
This book is awesome!! Probably my favorite book from Brandilynn! I enjoyed it so much. Intense, page to page action that will draw you in, and hook you! Great story, great action, great book

Three different women, all from a small town in the south, Amaryllis Mississippi. Each so different from the other, a young nineteen year old girl married to a boy a bit older than her, expecting her first baby. Tully Phillips didn't realize she was marrying an abuser, but it didn't take her long to find out. Cherrie Mae Devine, was a older lady who cleaned houses in town, but she was getting older and it was harder on her these days.She loves reading classics and quoting her favorite lines in situations that fit them. Deena Ruckland, once married to John Cotter one of the small town's police officers, the owner of Deena's Cut n Style, knows everyone in town, and cuts most of their hair.

All three women are connected by the gruesome murders that has their small town in knots. Five murders committed exactly alike and now a sixth murder has taken place and all three women are afraid they know who committed those murders, the only problem, they all think it is three different people.

Follow this story as they join together to prove who is guilty and who is innocent. As they discover who the real killer is. I have to say the ending caught me by surprise, I was totally caught off guard to who the murderer was, with the exception of the last murder, that was obvious from the beginning of the book. I love books that surprise me like that, and you will love this one too!! 321 pages US $14.99 5 stars

This book was provided for review purposes only, no payment was received for this review. Thanks to Suspense Zone for having this book sent to me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, February 23, 2012
Monie Garcia (Arlington, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
In the small southern town of Amaryllis, Mississippi there is a serial killer on the loose. In the past three years there have been five murders. Women of no particular race or age were stabbed in the neck and left in their closets earning the killer the nickname the Closet Killer.

When a sixth victim is found an unease rolls across the town but for three women in particular it's not just unease. It's fear. All three women are positive they know when the Closet Killer is and all three suspect a different man. Cherrie Mae Devine thinks it's the mayor of Amaryllis, Tully Phillips thinks it's her husband and Deena Ruckland thinks it's her brother.

Gone to Ground was my first Brandilyn Collins book. It was a truly gripping suspense story. In most suspense books I can guess who the killer is soon into the book. With Gone to Ground I didn't figure it out until the chapter it was revealed in. I was sincerely taken by surprise and it was a completely believable ending.

Collins writes memorable characters each with distinct personalities that make them come to life. I loved the way the women come together and begin to lean on each other while working to figure out the truth. I highly recommend this one for anyone who loves a great Christian suspense thriller. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept me guessing to the very end, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
I can't believe this is the first book I've read of Brandilynn Collins. She is a very talented author and I'm a fan now. Her book Gone to Ground has a great suspenseful plot with very well developed characters. This is one of those books that when you tell people about it you don't want to give away too much. You want to keep that element of surprise as they read. I was totally blindsided and did not that ending coming. I just might have to reread this and soon, it's that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!, May 20, 2012
Lori Drake (Rogers, AR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
My head was buried in this book all weekend. I could not put it down. You all know how much I love a good mystery and Gone to Ground was a great one. Over the past three years, six women have been brutally murdered in the small town of Amaryllis, Mississippi. People are terrified and suspicious of everyone. Three women think they know who the killer is- but each one suspects a different man.

Deena, Tully and Cherrie Mae reminded me of characters in the book, The Help. They are Southern women on a mission. Cherrie Mae was my favorite. 5 feet tall and 62 years old, she heads up this team of women determined to do what the local police have not- solve the mystery. She cleans houses for a living- including the mayor's. She stumbles across something in his home one day while dusting that chills her to the bone. 20 year old Tully is due to have a baby any day. Her life would be lovely if she wasn't married to an abusive man. He also may be cheating on her. To make matters even worse, her husband is out late one night and she finds blood on a door handle the next day. Where did it come from? She is beyond vulnerable but determined to do the right thing. Deena is a hair dresser with a brother who has special needs. He comes to her one night with blood covering his clothes. What is going on??

Gone to Ground had me in it's grasp and would not let go until I read the last page. It was suspenseful and the main characters were believable and endearing (always important to me!). Brandilyn Collins also includes God in her stories along with prayer. Cherrie Mae, Tully and Deena look to the Lord for direction and safety. I don't believe I've ever read a mystery that gives God the credit He is due. It was refreshing! Brandilyn Collins has now been added to my favorites and I cannot wait to read more of her books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone To Ground - A Suspense-Filled Read, May 14, 2012
Amanda Sedlak (Garfield Heights, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
When you picture a charming Southern town, what's the first thing that pops into your head? Small diners, serving excellent food, maybe a farm or two on the outskirts of town, perhaps a Bed and Breakfast located in an 18th or 19th Century house? Certainly murder is the last thing to come to mind, right?

Well, in this book, Gone to Ground by Brandilyn Collins, murder is a defining characteristic of the town of Amaryllis, Mississippi. With 5 unsolved murders -- all women -- within 3 years, and a mysterious 6th having taken place as the book begins, death seems to haunt the town named after the poisonous Amaryllis flower.

I won't give away the ending, but the main plot points involve 3 different women, all of whom think that they know who the killer is. Each suspects a different man, although only one can be correct. The person who actually committed the crimes is revealed at the end, and it certainly wasn't who I thought it was.

Gone to Ground is written in a different fashion from the suspense novels of Dean Koontz and John Grisham. I think the difference is that it's written by a woman, and from a woman's point of view. This makes it infinitely more entertaining and highly detailed. Honestly, I couldn't put the book down and read it over the course of three days. I definitely recommend picking it up if you like your suspense novels full of realistic characters and well-written scenerios.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again!, May 14, 2012
This review is from: Gone to Ground: A Novel (Paperback)
Brandilyn Collins has done it again with Gone to Ground, her latest novel from B&H Books. How she keeps coming up with these nail biters is beyond me, and I actually feel quite guilty that I can whip right through one of her books in hours. If you're looking for a perfect vacation read that will keep you on the edge of your seat then I recommend this new one!
A murder mystery told by three different characters who all think they know who the killer dubbed as The Closet Killer is. Cherrie Mae, a cleaning woman who has the trust of everyone in this small town of 1700 people, Tully, a young pregnant woman who suffers abuse at the hand of her husband, and Deena, a hairstylist whose clients include most of the townspeople. All three women know of each other, but circumstances and speculation cause them to come together as they reveal the heartbreaking details of the people they suspect.

Gone to Ground: A Novel
Gone to Ground: A Novel by Brandilyn Collins (Paperback - March 1, 2012)
$14.99 $13.49