5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous story
Published 21 months ago by Keith Milstead

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book
Ben Rehder has written a good book, albeit a somewhat predictable. It is not an action packed, spine tingling thriller but it is a solid mystery with enough to keep you interested.
Published 5 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous story, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Gone The Next (Paperback)
I have always been a Ben Rehder fan. He is a fellow Texan and has written several great books referred to as the Blanco County Mysteries. Upon reading these, I believed I had found an author whose book releases made me salivate. I enjoyed his books THE CHICKEN HANGER and The DRIVING LESSON and so when I heard about GONE THE NEXT, I naturally expected a great book because Ben Rehder rules the mystery genre. However, upon reading this book, I fell in love with this man's talent to rule his genre. I couldn't put the book down because it was that good. Ben takes you into a place where monsters are real and live next door. Ben's talent to create characters that you really care about makes GONE THE NEXT such a great novel. You follow them as if you were sitting next to them in their van, her mustang and his couch. Ben's has created a tale of darkness that haunts us everyday and makes the headlines in our daily papers and news stations. In this case he makes it more personal and so you root for the good guy, even with all his scars, and hiss at the bad guys. Hopefully, if you come to this review undecided on whether to buy it or not, please believe me, you will not regret the decision to own this book. Hopefully it will encourage you to buy all his books, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent Ben Rehder novel, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Gone The Next (Paperback)
I have been a fan of Rehder's books since BUCK FEVER, his first Blanco County novel and have read most of his work. He is has demonstrated a quirky sense of character and humor in his mysteries, but in GONE THE NEXT he has mellowed. His story here has fewer oddball players or humorous circumstances. He takes on a serious crime, in this case child abduction, and appropriately creates a new, more serious, yet still wisecracking, hero in the form of Ray Ballard -- not a detective or police officer, but a videographer who makes his living investigating insurance fraud. Very clever.

When Ballard comes across what he thinks is a young girl who's been reported missing in the hands of an insurance claimant he's been assigned to investigate, it brings back haunting memories from his past which propel him to pursue the case and save the girl.

Even in this serious story, Ben Rehder's sense of humor and fine dialog show through. His plotting is tight and effective. Though I started reading it late the other night, I felt compelled to finish the book the following evening. The pages seemed to turn themselves as I followed Ray Ballard and the story to its conclusion. GONE THE NEXT is a fine piece of work by an excellent mystery writer. I hope this is just the beginning of a Ray Ballard series. More please.

5.0 out of 5 stars tenacious main character, February 2, 2013
This review is from: Gone The Next (Roy Ballard Mysteries Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was a great story with great plot, great characters and good suspense. It all seemed very real--no fakes here. I liked Mr. Rehder's writing style--very smooth with lots of descriptions. I liked the tenacity of Roy Ballard. He didn't waiver when everyone told him to give up his search. I'd like to see him in another book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very intriguing read, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Gone The Next (Paperback)
I loved this book. It was witty, interesting, full of twists and turns. Editing was superb, something you don't see often in free at the time books. I will look and pay for more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, January 24, 2013
I was hooked after the 1st chapter. So many surprises and twists without losing you. Great personalities between the main characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tense story, well written., June 5, 2013
I don't like stories that hold you by the throat and make you sweat through the plot, but any mystery should have an intensity that keeps pulling you toward the finish. This book is like that. The characters are well-developed and real, the ending pulls all the strands together, the dialogue is realistic, and it is an all-around good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I had trouble putting it down, May 27, 2013
This is a well-written mystery with bits of quick-witted humor from the videographer thrown in. A quick read. The story twisted and turned and the ending was top notch.

4.0 out of 5 stars HISTORY REPEATS, March 25, 2013
Perseverance pays off in this story and the good guys win. The present repeats the past and a good man gets a chance to grow. Exciting, challenging and well-wrritten, it is well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, January 20, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, April 24, 2013
Clever twists of plot all tied up in the end with some additional satisfying conjecture. Fast moving. Roy Ballard is a hero in the cowboy tradition, though very up to date using his toys.

Rate and Discover Movies