1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Hillbilly! Witty, Charming, and Brilliant! :), June 19, 2010
Blind man Wayne (JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight-Ugly & Slouchy (Audio CD)
Iffin' ya luv toe-tappin' knee-slappin' hillbilly music...I mean real backwoods hillbilly music that'll make ya smile, laugh, and melt your heart, ya gotta hear this! This terrific compilation features Maddox Brothers & Rose recordings originally made for Columbia in the 50s. Their music features lots of fiddle, steel guitar, rhythm guitar, mandolin, and plenty of hoops and hollers! There is charm, wit, and impeccable musicianship all over the songs herein! Band member Fred Maddox is believed to have developed the technique of slapping the strings of his standup bass to derive a percussive sound, which would become the backbone of a new and radical style of music called rockabilly. This CD is part of an outstanding series titled "Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight" issued by the independent label "Bear Family Records". Their releases are of the highest quality in every respect, from the insightful booklets with wonderful photos to the full vibrant audio quality. I have six discs in this series including this one, which I love because of their raw, and often-raucous hillbilly sound. Here are the others I highly recommend!
Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight: Busy Body Boogie
Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight: I'm Little But I'm Loud
Six Pack to Go - Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight
Heart Breakin' Mama: Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight
Steppin' Out: Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight

Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight-Ugly & Slouchy
Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight-Ugly & Slouchy by Maddox Brothers & Rose (Audio CD - 2006)
Rate and Discover Movies