Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 25, 2011
I've had the great fortune of taking a class from the chef and author, Becky Selengut, so I was excited and a bit nervous about getting this book. Excited because I've found her straight-forward, witty teaching manner to be very helpful (and fun). Nervous, because I was worried that her personality wouldn't come through in the book. But she nailed it. The book is educational - I love fish but hardly ever cook it because I don't know what kind to buy and, I'm not the best cook. Selengut easily explains what fish to buy, what to look for on the label and what questions to ask at the store. The recipes are fantastic. Following her instructions, we prepared the most amazing scallops - cooked to perfection. This from "Good Fish" on cooking scallops: "Heat your pan over high heat. (Now many of you will read that, defy me, and turn your heat down to medium high. Trust me, and get your hand off that dial.)"...she was so right!

As a reluctant cook, it is a real treat for me to read a book that is straight-forward, educational, creative and entertaining. Good Fish is a great addition to any cook's collection.
on April 14, 2011
I just received this book yesterday, and decided to make a recipe from it for my anniversary dinner tonight. I was nervous, because I wanted the anniversary dinner to be a success, and you never know how a new recipe will turn out...but it turns out that "Wok-seared squid with lemongrass, chile, and basil" is absolutely delicious, with tender squid and a great blend of Thai flavors. It was definitely a hit for dinner tonight, and I know that I will be making it again, along with many other recipes from this book.

Overall, the book is beautiful, with lovely and enticing photos of the recipes. And Selengut's engaging narrative throughout the book about the best way to prepare fish and seafood, as well as how to select and purchase seafood in a sustainable way, makes the book a five-star purchase for me, as well as a book that I could see giving as a gift to others who enjoy cooking and eating seafood.

You won't regret purchasing this item! Happy cooking and eating...
on April 21, 2011
I think this is just what this seafood loving world needs. Becky does a great job of describing what type of fish you should look for, if you are interested in sustainable seafood. The recipes within are delicious. I made the grilled sockeye salmon with fennel two ways, and it was fantastic! The book is highly informative without being snooty, and Clare Barboza's photography is absolutely beautiful.
on June 8, 2011
I am a Seattle Chef and Father and try to inspire other parents to cook real food for their families with my website [...].
Little did I know my girls would take over the kitchen and use another Seattle chef's cookbook to make me dinner!
I have learned a lot from Becky's book (and apparently so have my girls) and I hope you will too.
Highly recommend a purchase of this great book!!
Chef and father, Greg Johnson
77 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I picked this book because the author has selected several specific fish and shellfish based on sustainability. We use the Monterey Bay Aquarium's seafood guide but get kind of lost sometimes. The introduction is really excellent for someone like me who had NEVER cooked a piece of fish before, she includes pictures and descriptions of concepts like "flaking" and "just flaking" to help you cook it right. I haven't used many of the recipes but they are beautiful, what really sold me on this book was the selection of seafood and the really helpful instructions on cooking it properly.
on September 16, 2011
Our family made a commitment long ago to cooking seafood 3-4 times a week -- it's an excellent source of high-quality, low-fat protein, and (hello!) we live in Seattle, where wonderful seafood is available all year round. Two problems keeping that commitment: the seafoods whose stocks I knew were well-managed (salmon, halibut, black cod, crab, oysters, clams) can be expensive; also, most cookbooks and most seafood recipes seem skewed to East Coast and Atlantic species. Becky's recipes, besides being inventive and delicious and do-able, solve both problems. She explains how some very inexpensive seafood (rainbow trout, squid, sardines) is sustainably raised/managed and why it's good for you. And she focuses on Pacific species. Our battery of seafood recipes has expanded exponentially with the arrival of this wonderful book. (Two caveats: Becky is allergic to garlic, so you might want to add it to, say, the Jerk-Spiced Coho with Kale. And she has a very, very light hand with the hot peppers -- I'm no pepper fiend, but I've doubled the amounts called for.)
on June 1, 2011
Terrific seafood cookbook! I read a lot of cookbooks, and prepare seafood often. Becky Selungut's writing style is humorous and helpful. The pictures are excellent and so far everything I have tried in this book has really pleased my toughest critics - my family.

Hope she writes more cookbooks and ventures out into other cooking genres!
on September 26, 2011
An avid home cook I found the recipes and pairings of the wine simply wonderful. My family is excited to see this cookbook out when I'm in the kitchen. They know an amazing meal will be on the table come dinner time.
on July 12, 2011
OK, I am neither a blogger nor a reviewer but this chef and author is quite simply my favorite of all time. I have taken innumerable cooking classes and am a food lover and Becky is a refreshing mix of simplicity, honesty, talent and passion around her art of a robust and sustainable culinary experience. My wife and I had the true pleasure of meeting her, observing her wit, talent and skills at a local Seattle sampling of her book's recipes and I was devastatingly taken aback. Quite honestly the best soup I have ever had was her Chilled Cucumber-Coconut soup with Dungeness Crab (pg 55) and was equally matched by her Dungeness Crab Panzanella with Charred-Tomato Vinaigrette (pg 51). To a person, everyone at the event was captivated by her and her use of the subject of her text. A Northwest gem and one you should not miss. Aside from living in Seattle and having the pleasure of meeting her and attending one of her classes, the next best experience would be to own and use her skills in your home by owning a copy of Good Fish.
on July 22, 2011
Like most novice home cooks, I would try and avoid cooking ANY fish or seafood dish at home. My inexperience usually resulted in over-cooked or flavorless fare, and a very smelly kitchen. After numerous attempts, it was more sensible to `get it right' by dining out. So, when I came across a cookbook with a title like `Good fish' I needed to take a closer look.

After thumbing through the mouth-wateringly, beautiful pictures, (and becoming equally engaged with Chef Selengut's witty narrative throughout) I landed on a techniques section which is now bookmarked, and my favorite part of this cookbook. The hands-on instruction using touch, taste, and feel when you cook salmon are outlined with a sense of humor and easily retainable - perfect for someone like me, who learns while `doing'.
So, far I've impressed friends and family with new recipes and new `techniques'. Thanks Chef! ;)