Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Simple Vegan! isn't just a cookbook for those who follow the vegan lifestyle. It's a cookbook for those that want to eat healthier. It's a cookbook for those that want to lower their grocery bill. It's a cookbook for those that are interested in eliminating meat and dairy from the dinner table a few nights a week.

Following a vegan diet helps to reduce the risk of heart disease by drastically reducing consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol. These two products are found almost exclusively in animal products. A vegan diet can also help with weight loss and weight management which is the reason we have several vegan meals a week in our home. Vegan diets include more whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fruits than traditional diets and because of this, they are much higher in fiber. Following a vegan diet can also be a frugal choice especially if you primarily prepare your meals with whole foods rather than relying on processed canned, frozen or packaged ingredients.

Simple Vegan! also includes nutritional guidelines for vegans that are helpful for people who are new to the vegan way of eating. It explains the basic nutrients you need to have and where you can find them. There is also a handy guide for plant based vegetables with iron and vitamin c along with vegan dairy and egg substitutes.

The recipes themselves are broken down into Energizing Breakfasts, Satisfying Sandwiches, Eat Your Vegetable Salads, Nourishing Noodles and Grains, Great Grilling, Globe Trotting Dishes, Comfort Food and Savory and Sweet Treats. Each recipe has a detailed nutritional breakdown including calories, protein, carbohydrates, total fat & saturated fat, fiber, cholesterol and sodium. Information is also included on prep time.

Scattered throughout the book are helpful pages for those new to vegan diets including a guide to non-dairy milks, barley basics, easy vegan condiments, a guide to Asian noodles, etc. There's also a great selection of full color photos for many of the recipes included.

There's a nice choice of recipes that will probably be familiar to you like Tomato Rice Soup and Jalapeno Cornbread. There will also be many recipes that are new to you like Bulgar Pilaf with Garbanzo Beans and Apricots and Kale Chips. You should be able to find most of the ingredients in a large grocery store in the vegetarian or alternative diet section. If not, your local health food store will definitely have the supplies you need. Great book to begin your vegan journey.
22 comments23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2013
I was enthusiastic when this came out since I like test kitchen cookbooks, so I bought it. But reading through it, I was very disappointed that it suggests eating egg noodles since it is well-known that vegans do not eat eggs. A sentence such as this "Because of the egg in the dough, they have a soft texture and rich flavor that create a delicious base [...]" has no place in a vegan cookbook. This puts in serious doubt the quality of the research that was done for the rest of the book. There is also honey in at least one recipe, but they do suggest using agave instead. Honestly I don't mind the honey mention that much, but egg? In a vegan cookbook?
11 comment14 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2011
I'm a new vegetarian but not vegan, yet this book is a big help in explaining the vegan options, such as a run-down on dairy alternatives and whole grains. The recipes are realistic, easy and tasty, too.
on October 21, 2011
I purchased this cookbook to explore adopting a vegan diet. Although my attempt at veganism lasted only a month, I have continued to refer to this cookbook and use it often. The recipes are easy to follow and beautifully illustrated. I highly recommend the vegan muffin recipes in the book - wow - they are excellent and you would never know they are vegan! They are actually better than the non-vegan versions. A must have cookbook if you would like an excellent resource for vegan recipes.
on March 28, 2014
For me vegan eating is a choice not only for animals' welfare, but also for one's health. I eat organic produce whenever I can, and I cook from scratch. This book relies on a lot of canned or processed foods which I can either not find here in France (the non-dairy cheeses and creams, for example) or wouldn't eat because I'm health conscious. I just don't think a lot of the stuff that goes into these foods is healthy. Also, there is an overreliance on soy products. Sure, these are really useful for some vegan recipes, but it shouldn't be used too frequently either. Finally I found the types of recipes rather repetititve and uninspiring. I think most of us could come up with this sort of recipes by ourselves by just throwing in ingredients that work together. If you like to cook, you probably don't need this book. You probably do better by yourself.
on February 2, 2012
This book is a good introduction for new vegans or anyone new to a plant-based lifestyle. The recipes are indeed very simple and easy to follow. No "unusual" ingredients and most recipes include pictures (for those who need them). This however, was not the book for me. I have been vegan for a number of years and do A LOT of cooking everyday. For me, the recipes were just too simple and not very appealing. However, for someone new to cooking (like I said) this is a great starter cookbook. I will use it again for a quick night dinner, but it's not my go to book.
on August 19, 2011
I bought this as a gift for my mom - she's been happy with it. She just needed some ideas of what she could cook for herself (a vegan) and then be able to modify it slightly for my dad (not a vegan) and still have one cohesive dinner for them both. So, she cooks the vegan dish and adds some sort of meat for my dad. She's only had it a short while, but seems to be very happy with it!
on January 23, 2013
I have over fifty vegan cookbooks. I bought this book because I someone told me in had the best vegan brownie receipe ever in it. I haven't tried them yet because they contain prune puree and I am having a hard time mentally wrapping my head around that. I did try a couple recipes including the chocolate cupcake recipe and those were good and inexpensive to make. Unless there is one specific recipe you want out of this book, I would suggest pretty much any other basic vegan cookbook including Vegan On the Cheap, Veganomicon, etc. This is pretty basic stuff and pretty obvious that whil eGood Housekeeping did a vegan cookbook, they didn't know much about vegan techniques or how to get the most bang for your buck as far as taste and assortment go.
on January 24, 2012
I ordered this for a friend who had seen it in a book store at a much higher price, and she loves it!
on December 2, 2012
I've been vegetarian for 15 years and do a LOT of cooking for my family, so I have quite the collection of vegan cookbooks. I love this one because it uses ingredients that I would have never thought to put together. Like mint and yogurt for homemade veggie burgers... yum! The first time I read through it, I dog-eared almost every page... one recipe is just more delicious than the next! This book is perfect for all diets (meat eaters will love it too), all culinary practices (definitely don't have to be a top chef to get these recipes right) and there are recipes for every occasion. Super happy with this purchase... and so is my family!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse