Published on September 22, 2011 by Eille

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is the reason writers need publishers
Published on February 5, 2012 by Yvonne Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars fans of medieval mysteries or Ellis Peters, this is a must-read!, September 22, 2011
This review is from: The Good Knight (A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I've been looking for something to satisfy my Brother Cadfael craving for years, ever since my beloved Ellis Peters passed away, and I've never quite found a series that filled in the gap until I read The Good Knight. It's an absolutely fantastic read, historically authentic with a wealth of period detail and great insight into both the political situation and daily life in medieval Wales. What I loved most of all, though, was exactly what I love so much about the Ellis Peters books: in Gwen, the author has created a fiesty, intelligent heroine who can hold her own even in a very male-dominated world. And romance! A romance that is sweet without being at all sappy, just wonderfully done. Sarah Woodbury, hurry up and write the next book in the series, because I can't wait to find out what happens to Gwen and Gareth! I hope they have as many adventures together as Brother Cadfael!

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is the reason writers need publishers, February 5, 2012
This book was like a modern crime story plunked down in the middle of Medieval Wales. Aside from some of the characters being based on the names of actual persons who lived in the 12th century the rest of it is modern as it can be. Knights in the 12th century used a broad sword. They used daggers. They were called sir. They did not speak in the jargon of a modern crime scene investigator. There was a distraction that broke the flow of the fictive dream on nearly every page.

I wanted to like it and I was curios to learn what happened. Even the ending was a disappointment. The title is the Good Knight. I expected the story to be about the Knight. It was not. I wanted the language and the descriptions of life to feel authentically historical and larger than life. I wanted to find a character that I cared about. I found non of those thing things. What this book needs is a good editor and publisher who will help the author fix the worst of its flaws.

That being said, Gareth's surname Rhys, is on my family tree, so it can't be all bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Book, November 5, 2011
This book was written just for me. It had me in it as the heroine. A nobody that made a name for herself and got the man of her dreams eventually. A hero that was dashing, daring, and a damn nice guy and a really bad villain that no one guessed was bad. It had all the right ingredients for a super incredible book. I loved it from beginning to end.

I think what I liked most about this book is the ease it was to read. It didn't have any fancy speech, no huge words that I had to look up and no terms that I didn't understand. It was written with an easy-going style that I found relaxing.

The story was believable, the characters easy to fall in love with even if you didn't want to and it had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing throughout. I wouldn't change a thing. Definitely a must read over and over again.

3.0 out of 5 stars rated as a young adult romance novel, February 25, 2012
It is a stretch to call this historical fiction. Very little history, a simple mystery and a romance novel is the sum of this book. It may be enjoyed by readers who read romance novels or young adults.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, December 8, 2011
While the writing style is good (which can't always be said for ebooks < $5), I feel the author could have developed the characters background stories a lot more. I also had no sense of time or place, since descriptions were sparse. I couldn't picture where the characters were or what they were wearing, or even what they looked like, and I found this quite distracting. I read historical fiction (Ellis Peters, Sharon Kay Penman, Dorothy Dunnett, Allison Weir, Jack Whyte, Ariana Franklin, Edward Rutherford, the list goes on!) in order to be (temporarily) transported back in time, and this book, while it definitely has potential, didn't quite deliver me there.

5.0 out of 5 stars I stayed up late to finish this, October 11, 2011
I saw this book on a table at a friend's house, picked it up, and started reading. I finished it in two days. The story starts out quickly and doesn't slow down. The heroine is strong-minded and active without being over the top, and the author does a good job of balancing action, mystery, and romance. Welsh politics figures heavily in the story, so the cast of characters and map are helpful for those of us who don't know much about the history or geography of Wales. Ultimately I found this book to be both fast-paced and substantive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Welsh Yarn, December 3, 2012
Anisahoni (Yakima, WA United States) - See all my reviews
Sarah Woodbury's writing magic and deep grasp of Welsh history transports us into a moment of major crisis. Poor Gwen and goodly Gareth are torn apart in 'A Good Knight' by the thorny intrigues and double motives enveloping the court of King Owain after the murder of King Anarawd. Dr. Woodbury's storytelling gifts and understanding of how real people might feel navigating a perilous time of royal upheaval forced several good cups of coffee to go cold while waiting for me to finish turning the pages. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Will read everything Sarah Woodbury writes!, December 30, 2012
Julie (Longmont, Colorado) - See all my reviews
I just finished the Bard's Daughter, The Good Knight, and am starting the Uninvited Guest. My ancestry on my fathers side is Scottish, Irish, English, and Welsh. Though I don't have many details, I have always been drawn to the stories set in Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.

There are only a few authors who I am committed to reading everything they have written. You are my newest find, and I will read everything you write. I feel as if I am in the time and place of your story while reading them, and when I put the book down for any time at all, I am still present in their time and place.

Thank you for the wonderful experience! And now I want to see Wales!

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it, July 13, 2013
As others have said, the voice in this book is off. When and where it is supposed to take place doesn't match the vocabulary of the characters. I trudged through as far as I could, but just couldn't finish it.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Good Knight, April 12, 2014
H. Krull (Pinetown, Kwazulu Natal, ZA) - See all my reviews
Dont like blasphemy in my books. There is no need to use the name of my Saviour as a swear word

Rate and Discover Movies