5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful
Published on December 15, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good humour
This was a good comedy that I enjoyed. If you have lived in a developing country it is funny. I enjoyed the silly oversexed diplomat (who wasn't far off the mark of some single diplomats around the world), the ambassador, who was really hilarious and the myths the Africans believed. It is all good light hearted humour.
Published on June 26, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, December 15, 1999
By A Customer
This is a smart and funny movie, with a wonderful lead performance by Bruce Beresford, who I've never seen act anywhere else. This movie got trashed in almost every review I've come across, except "Playboy Magazine" who gave the movie a rave review. I have to say, I think "Playboy" was right, and all the other reviewers were wrong. I lived in Africa for a year when I was a boy, and this movie captures what it is like to live in Africa; I felt like I was in a time machine, taking me back to my Africa days. Sean Connery's part is small, but he is first-rate, as always. This movie is an over-looked gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Enjoyable, September 16, 2008
Frank E. Petruzzini "FP" (Warren, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This was a great film to watch. The acting was excellent all the way through the film. Diana Rigg and Sean Connery in the same film is a can't miss and Colin Friels was their equal, every performance from all the actors was just fantastic. I wish this was on DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good humour, June 26, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Comedy, April 28, 2010
Darren J. Mcleod (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Good Man in Africa (DVD)
I'm so glad this finally became available on DVD in North America. My wife and I absolutely love this film. It has an excellent cast, great plot, perfect comedic timing. The acting is superb, the writing terrific, the great lines... "Innocence is dead!", "Don't touch it!", "G'evening Dutchess". It's sooo funny, to me it's right up there with "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", for gut wrenching laughs. I have no idea why it got bad reviews. I never read the book, maybe that's part of it. If you haven't read the book get this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Like the Movie, Buy the Book, June 10, 2014
The movie version of "A Good Man in Africa" isn't bad, but the book version is better. First of all, by buying and reading the book, you will get the benefit of William Boyd's artistry with words, which is considerable. (You may even acquire a taste for his fiction, which can be satisfied by reading his many other fine novels and his short story collection.) Another advantage you'll gain by reading the book is access to the full story--plot, setting, and character development--which necessarily is somewhat curtailed in the movie version. Nevertheless, I do want to recommend the latter as an excellent comic film, with a cast of characters that includes some big names-- Sean Connery, Diana Rigg, Lou Gossett, Jr., and John Lithgow--and a less well-known one (at least to me), Colin Friels, who plays the hapless 'hero' of the story, Morgan Leafy. The plot is fast-paced and pits British greed (for oil rights) against African guile and political ambition in the person of Professor Sam Adekunle (Lou Gossett, Jr.). Morgan Leafy, who is employed by the British High Commission (i.e., embassy), finds himself in the role of go-between and thus on the receiving end of equally impossible orders from his ambassador (John Lithgow) and Professor Adekunle. Meanwhile Morgan manages to get sexually involved with a wide social spectrum of women: his local (Black) girlfriend, Hazel; the ambassador's daughter, Priscilla; Adekunle's wife, Celia; and (nearly) even the ambassador's wife, Chloe (Diana Rigg). Hovering over Morgan throughout his trials--which include a venereal dose and an episode of body snatching--is Dr. Alex Murray (Sean Connery), a good man in Africa and a sort of strict parent stand-in and moral guide to the much-in-need-of-same Morgan Leafy. Altogether, a very entertaining film. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny movie!, January 21, 2014
This movie kept me in stitches from beginning to end! The first time I saw Colin Friels in a movie role, but he was just too funny, as was all the other stars! Check out Colin Friels dressed up as Santa, what a hoot! If you love to laugh, you've got to watch this movie!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good man in Africa DVD, February 26, 2011
This review is from: A Good Man in Africa (DVD)
This film is surprisingly true to the book - although it is synopsis rather than a complete dramatisation.
Sean Connery is very well cast as the doctor - the other main characters are more glamorous than in William Boyd's book.
As the screen play is by William Boyd this is probably why it does work well as a film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, August 21, 2003
I love this movie.
Why isn't it out on DVD?

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, April 11, 2014
deanna taylor (MENLO PARK, CA, US) - See all my reviews
It was a hard movie to understand where it was heading, I love Sean Connelly that is why I watched it, He did play a small part.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good movie, a good read., February 16, 2014
Not bad, got it after reading the book. Book is superb, hilarious, and I have to say that the movie version is an intelligent edit on the book, Movie characters for me match up to my imagined book images. Worth viewing. Buy the book.

A Good Man in Africa
A Good Man in Africa by Bruce Beresford (DVD - 2009)
$19.98