5.0 out of 5 stars Four Long Years, Another Classic
I'll admit it, I was a latecomer to Modest Mouse. My first introduction to Issac Brock's genius was their classic, "The Moon and Antartica", and it changed how I though of music. It's the type of album that has the power to do that sort of thing.
Published on May 13, 2004 by thecenturyoffakers

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not up to par with past albums
I have to admit that I got into Modest Mouse only recently, maybe around 2003 or so when a friend of mine was playing Lonesome Crowded West as background music one day. I always thought the band was kind of interesting, but it wasn't until I decided to listen to the album in its entireity, on my own, without distractions that I realized how good the music was...
Published on April 12, 2005 by Justin R. Schulke

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Long Years, Another Classic, May 13, 2004
Four long year later, and Modest Mouse is back with a long awaited follow up. They came out with the EP " Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks" and the singles collection "Sad Sappy Sucker" in 2001, but neither of those discs lived up to albums like "The Moon and Antartica" and "The Lonesome Crowded West". So, in the first half of this decade, it was easy to forget about what a great band Modest Mouse really are. Now, they've finally released a new album, and it serves as a great reminder of how talented Issac Brock is.
"Good News for People Who Love Bad News" starts off in fine form. After a short 'Horn Intro', it moves on to the excellent 'The World at Large', with it's catch "Ba-ba-ba's, and a nice little guitar riff, the kind that Modest Mouse do best. Next is the obvious single, 'Float On'. It's far more poppy than anything they've done in the past, but in this case change is a good thing. It's one of my all time favorites. After that is the second single, 'Ocean Breathes Salty', this is currently my favorite song on the album, with it's blissful, organ driven chorus.
The first section of the album ends with the pointless, twelve second, 'Dig Your Grave'. But the next section starts out as strong as the first on, with a traditional, Modest Mouse rocker, 'Bury Me With It'. Then there's a Tom Waits inspired three song set. Starting out with the insane, freakout, 'Dance Hall', then the slow accoustic, accordian driven, 'Bukowski', which contains some of the best lyrics Brock has ever written, and lastly 'The Devil's Workday'. Despite the obvious Tom Waits influence, these songs still remain stricktly Modest Mouse, and don't rip him off in any way.
The last seven songs contiue, just as strong as the rest of the album, from the uncontrolably catchy, 'The View' to the slow and soft, 'Blame it on the Tetons', and the rocking 'Black Cadillacs'. The album ends on a great note, with fellow vetran indie rockers, the Flaming Lips helping out on 'The Good Times are Killing Me'.
Although I can't say it's any better than "The Moon and Antartica", "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" is certianly no worse, it's simply another classic album from Modest Mouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the truly great albums of 2004, October 26, 2004
This is one of the more remarkable albums that I have heard in the past couple of years. I previously had really loved THE MOON AND ANARCTICA, and though I might still have a slight preference for that album, GOOD NEWS FOR PEOPLE WHO LOVE BAD NEWS clearly establish Modest Mouse as one of the best and certainly one of the most unique bands working in music today. Modest Mouse is one of those bands you know has to be comprised by a bunch of indiscriminate music fans. Hints of an astonishing range of musical artists seem to peek out from behind their various songs. I'm constantly being reminded by bits of their songs of artists as diverse as the Pixies, Talking Heads, Radiohead, Tom Waits, Pere Ubu, Yo La Tenga, Sam Phillips, and Built to Spill, as wall as a host of eighties New Wave bands. They have obviously internalized a lot of music and are capable of drawing from those resources as needed to create some grippingly exciting new songs. Sometimes the results would be jarring if they were so amazingly successful. For instance, how many bands manage to include a synthesizer and a banjo on the same song? They are constantly bringing in unexpected instruments or sounds that are not common to rock. I should also add that while a Pacific Northwest band, they really don't sound like a product of that region. The Seattle and Portland bands, for instance, do not seem to have exerted an especially large influence.

Being eclectic is not a guarantee of being especially good. In fact, it could lead to a dissipation of creative energies into such a variety of directions that a band could lack any musical focus whatsoever. Luckily, Modest Mouse manages to be amazingly musical while crafting startling songs. The musicality, the marvelous lyrics, the passionate vocals, and the hooks make every song memorable. And virtually every song is indeed a delight. As with other exceptional albums (as opposed to albums that contain a few good singles with less numbers filling out the disc), you don't want any of the songs to end, and yet when they do and the next song begins, you are equally as content with it. I'll be honest: over the past eight or nine years, I have sometimes felt that rock was in danger of becoming stale and uninteresting, and that the creativity that drove the genre in the sixties, the late seventies, and the eighties was waning. But bands like Modest Mouse are managing to give me hope once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this CD now ..., June 28, 2004
All these "indier than thou" reviews are hilarious. I especially enjoy the ones who suggest you check out other bands who haven't sold out ... like The Vines or The Strokes. Um, yeah, what?
I also love the reviews saying people listening to this album want to think they're grown up, but they aren't. In other words, that reviewer *is* grown up and wants you all to know.
Then people name-check Avril and Britney for some reason. So many people seem far more concerned with hating certain types of music than loving whatever type they claim to enjoy. You're the people who have ruined indie record stores: Sitting back there sneering at anyone stupid enough to actually buy a CD from their store. No wonder so many people shop at giant evil corporations -- at least they don't have to put up with music-hating, resentful, bitter hacks like you complaining about every band who moves more than 10k units.
MM sold out?!?!? Yeah, they went gold, wow, they're a veritable Evanescence.
Anyway, posing aside, if you're a music fan then you listen to anything that's good regardless of image or "selling out" or any of that "scene" garbage.
This is a fantastic, wonderfully melodic album.
If RIYL's help you, then maybe Weezer, Badly Drawn Boy: Fed The Fish?, Fountains of Wayne: Welcome, Interstate Managers. In fact the Fountains comparison is probably the best. Maybe MM can get a Best "New" Band nomination from those idiots at the Grammys as well.
If you somehow resent bands being able to make money off their art then don't bother. Just hole yourself in some pretentious dive coffee shop with some bongos and never come out. If you're so unconcerned by what the mainstream thinks why do you insist on screaming your indie street-cred from the rooftops at the slightest opportunity?
This is a really good album -- I couldn't care less if the entire band got boob jobs, botox, dermabrasion, started dating Ashlee Simpson and hung out with Carson Daley. All I care about is the music. Ignore any reviews talking about image. It's great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars good album reviewer from a not so indie reviewer, June 8, 2004
Sorry to say that I, unlike every other reviewer on this website, had never heard of modest mouse before their radio single "float on". I guess I am just not as cool as you guys and not on top of the music scene. Ah well. I loved the attitude and sheer catchiness of "float on" so I bought the album, and I don't regret it. The rest of the album is great as well. I especially like "The Devil's Workday", and "Bukowski". The only song that I really didn't enjoy very much "Bury Me With It"; The song was interesting the first time I heard it, but I find myself skipping that track now, because the discordant chorus is a little too much for me. Overall I love the album though. The attitude, inteligent lyrics and sheer differentness of this music to what else is out there at the moment make Modest Mouse's "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" extremely listenable. I guess I have several more Modest Mouse albums to check out that those in the know say is even better than this one. The expectations are high.

4.0 out of 5 stars You people are funny., June 8, 2004
By A Customer
First off, let me start with a rant. I listen to lots of "indie" music, and have been a fan of Modest Mouse for about three years or so. I'm ashamed to be grouped in with you morons who constantly drop hip terms like "sell out" and "over produced" just to make yourselves have more credibility or whatever. Not only is the term sell out over used, it's also annoying as hell and often an inaccurate representation of the band being referred to. So what, Isaac and the guys did the Nissan commercial and released a single that got them some money. BIG DEAL. The most it probably did was pay the rent for their trailers for a month or two. Yes, the production on this album is very crisp and clear, but there's nothing wrong with that at all. When I go back and listen to Sad Sappy Sucker, I wish that the recording on it was as good as it is on this album. But that's personal preference I suppose.
And for the people who say there's too much swearing.....um, do yourself a favor and grow up. Just because the album cover is bright green and pink does not imply that it is meant for children, and you are an idiot if you think it does. By the way, Bukowski is NOT an angsty song cynically written to appease the whiny masses of suburban white kids. If you actually read any Bukowski at all, you might understand it. Plus, Modest Mouse are the furthest thing possible from being emo, no matter what your definition of it is. Now to the actual review:
Good News for People who Love Bad News mainly focuses on depression, drugs, and the afterlife. Like all MM albums, there's experimentation to some extent, which in this case, comes in the form of horns and The Faint-esc keyboards. I wish there were some longer songs, but Isaac Brock is still brilliant as always. Some complain about the loss of his charming lisp, but his accent is still there and his pitch is much better. Some of the standout tracks to me are: The Good Times Are Killing Me, The View, Bukowski, Black Cadillacs, One Chance, and.....okay, I love the whole album.
Also, to the guy who said Isaac is now Epic's manslave, please, do us all a favor and SHUT UP. I sincerely doubt you've ever had any experience on a record label, and if you have and still say that, you're a babbling fool. You'd probably rather stab yourself in the eye than lose your oh so cool indie cred. Anyway, it'd be great if everybody would stop taking the fashionable route and saying that Good News and Moon and Antarctica are "newbie albums" and whatnot, rather than being honest about their opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review without hypersensativity, June 12, 2004
someguy (United States) - See all my reviews
Objectivity seems to be hard to come by these days when it comes to older bands putting out new stuff. Albums like this aren't judged on their own merit anymore, but rather in comparison to their previous albums and the supposed "scene" in which it fits under (c'mon people, who cares if it's emo, indie, blah, blah, blah - if its good its good, if its bad its bad). I would love to see how differently the naysayers of this albums would be reacting if this was MM's first release ever. I bet they would think it's at least a decent album, if not great. Unfortunately, people have a hard time putting their ego's and attachments aside to look at the product. But that's what I will attempt to do.
Good News For People Who Love Bad News is a refreshing, angry, happy, angular, and melodic affair. Isaac's vocal delivery is so unique with his barks and growls, which captures the attitude and overall sound of the music perfectly. "Satin in a Coffin" and "Bury Me With It" are two sputtering tracks that have a biting edge to them. Even the first single, "Float On", is refreshing in its optimism. One thing that grabs me about this music is it's sense of urgency. Few bands can strike a balance between melody and bite the way that they manage to. Overall, this is an excellent buy...get over yourself you self-proclaimed indie-purists, this is good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird masterpiece, December 14, 2004
People say that this is overly produced, I would say it is an evolution.

People say it is too poppy and happy, I would say it has subtlety.

Some say that they've abandoned their roots, I would say they've moved on.

Some say that their getting too big, I would say get over it.

Some say that this CD is horrible, I would say it is a twisted masterpiece.

Some say the Isaac Brock has sold out, I would say that even if he has , he deserves it.

He's gone without any money for 10 yrs, let him have his moment in the sun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modest Mouse sells out, hilarity ensues, January 25, 2006
The reviews attached to this album perfectly illustrate how hard it is for an uncompromising indie band with a devoted cult following to compromise a little (but not a lot) and make a good album (but not their best), and still manage to make everyone (or even most everyone) remotely happy.

First of all, I'll say it right up front: 3.5 stars average review? Use your freaking ears, folks - the album is much better and more interesting than that. There's a lot of wholly average and even quite terrible crap on Amazon getting 4+ stars, although often because not many people review it except those insane, pudding-hoarding paranoid psychotics that are into albums made entirely with the sounds of rubbing goat parts together. In any case, 3.5 stars has nothing to do with the album's quality; it's just there to make a point.

What's the point? Well let's see:

1. Modest Mouse sold out! So says all the hardcore enthusiasts who have been DOWN from DAY ONE. I am one of those guys, so I'm here to say: forget those guys. Most of them are allergic to change and *particularly* allergic to their favorite stuff getting even sort of popular. The fact is, "Float On" - while a catchy, poppy, cute little song that surely indicates the band has completely and totally started licking the corporate boots, as it were - is not that different from the more accessible songs on their previous couple of albums. And the rest of the album is mostly pretty difficult, which is totally normal for them.

2. Speaking of difficult, there's all the reviews that read like this: "I loved Float On and I bought this CD and it's all weird and tracks 6, 7 and 9 are just unlistenable WAAAAHHHH." If that doesn't completely disprove the idjits from #1 I don't know what does. But in any case, it makes me happy that the CD is weird and diverse. There are strains of Tom Waits and Pavement and the Pixies here (and many of those strains have been running through Modest Mouse's whole career). These are interesting, good musicians who I would encourage all of you to get to know. If tracks 6, 7 and 9 are just too dang weird for you, stick to Britney Spears. Better yet, just start buying singles off iTunes... you're too dumb to be listening to whole CDs. You see, sometimes artists mix things up a little, and challenge you as a listener. They don't just record the same song 15 times and call that an album.

3. While I'm on that subject, the dumbest review of this CD here on Amazon has to be the one that says Modest Mouse is a one trick pony. One trick? Did they even listen to the CD past the first few tracks? Most people are complaining that the middle section of the album is too weird and different from the hit song, but you think it's too similar? Good god... so this is what a deaf music reviewer would be like. The mind recoils in horror.

4. Back to the hardcore faithful: "their first few albums were so much BETTER." Well - yes, they were. But this is still a good album by a great band. This is like season 7 of The Simpsons, when the show was still good and delivering a ton of great jokes, but was in retrospect teetering on the brink of suckulence. Only time will tell, with MM, if they are teetering on the same brink. But I'll tell you this: I own The Simpsons Season 7 on DVD. It's a good one. And this CD is good too. Not as good as "Lonesome Crowded West," but it's good. In spots it's certainly easier on the ears and more liable to make me get up and dance around like a freak in my living room, so that's something.

I've got nothing else to say. My honest, objective review rating would be 4 or 4.5 stars - but someone has to take responsibility for trying to drive this average back up to where it should be. Hell, Amazon should step in and just "fix" the numbers. The only good thing that has resulted from this "making no one happy" situation is that over a hundred copies of a really good CD are available for cheap to the people who are grown up enough to make a good investment. The rest of you can save your pennies for that new Guided by Voices spinoff (now with extra tape hiss!), or downloading all the latest reggaeton hits online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad News for People too INDIE to enjoy it..., June 8, 2004
I find it sad that such lush melodies as those found on this cd are being torn to shreds just because the first single happened to air on MTV. Get over yourself, self-proclaimed "indie losers". No one cares that you're too alternative to like anything but listening to yourself whine. Modest Mouse have brought back a new wave of music to our youth and I applaud that. Maybe they can inspire kids to give The Pixies or Talking Heads a chance, and then maybe, just maybe...the fever will catch on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modest Mouse's Pop Record, April 26, 2004
It was bound to happen, if the generally smoothed-out sound of The Moon & Antarctica was any indication. Modest Mouse have released their pop record and like everything this band has done, it turns out to be brilliant. Those dismiss Good News For People Who Love Bad News as a sell-out are missing the point of this record. Though more accessible, Good News is unmistakeably a Modest Mouse album: the longing, emoting guitar, Issac Brock's bizarre yelping, and a general sense of both dread and calm coexisting. Their new record represents a musical tone of passivity, but lyrically, the band still dwells on the topics of morality and depression as they did in the past. This time, however, Brock is starting to show a sense of content, as evidenced by "One Chance" and the single "Float On," a sense that seems throughly comforting and genuine. Good News is perhaps more user-friendly than past records, but the underlying sound still abounds, especially on the personal fav "Bury Me With It," "Dance Hall," and "This Devil's Workday." Pass it off if you will, but you'll miss the beauty of "The Ocean Breaths Salty," the great "Black Cadillacs," and the excellent Flaming Lips-tinged (literally) "The Good Times Are Killing Me." This is too forward thinking to be a pander to commercial tastes and too grounded in the band's personality to represent a huge departure. This review is coming from a MM fan who holds This Is A Long Drive... as his personal favorite, so ignore the cyncism surrounding this release, keep an open mind, and decide for yourself.