5.0 out of 5 stars Great Questions for Teachers!, August 3, 2005
This review is from: Good Questions for Math Teaching: Why Ask Them and What to Ask, K-6 (Paperback)
As a speech-language pathologist in an elementary school, I am very interested in materials that encourage good math communication, logical reasoning and use of math language. This book is different from most other problem-solving books in that it concisely provides questions on 16 diffferent math topics for grades K-2, 3-4 and 5-6 - all of which lend themselves well to creative math discussions. Our district math committee chose to have a copy of this book in each elementary school. After looking through it, I was convinced that I needed a copy of my own to quickly refer to when seeing my students. This was $10.85 that was well-spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Higher-level thinking in math class, February 8, 2009
The difference between "What is 731 minus 256?" and "Arrange the digits so that the difference is between 100 and 200" is massive. If you want to teach toward the end of the student-centered, higher-level thinking scale, use this book. Only 100 pages long, it is 100% practical - each math topic broken down by grade level, with sample questions. I plan to use these prompts as bellringers at the start of each math class. Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, October 11, 2007
waterbabeeee "netshopper" (Woodside, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I agree! This book is fantastic. I typed the questions into a document and rephrased some and left blanks for monetary amounts. This way I could make easy homework activities and modify the questions as needed. The questions are perfect: open ended, based on real world situations, and easy to understand. I also like how the book is organized by mathematical content areas and suggested grade levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Questions for Math Teaching, November 30, 2007
J. Foster (South Windsor, CT) - See all my reviews
Just what I needed... a concise explanation of the hows and whys of open ended questioning and ways to create "good questions". The grade level appropraite examples of good questions in the areas of numbers, measurement, space, chance and data, are easy to use and have been a valuable tool for stretching my students as math thinkers. This wonderful resource includes "coaching" that has stretched me as teacher. Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 28, 2009
I wanted to enrich my math teaching skills over the holiday break: an area where I feel I need work. This book has given me ideas that I look forward to using. They will definitely add interest to my math lessons! If you and your colleagues all contribute a buck or two, you can share this resource and discuss how it worked with your students. Strategies are separated by topic/grade and given that, it's a short enough read so that it can be passed around by five people within a couple of weeks.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the idea, March 3, 2013
This book guides teachers on how to create open ended questions. Good Questions helps me differentiate instruction in my classroom by the way I ask questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Teacher's Math Helper, May 7, 2011
Simple but profound questions for all elementary teachers. Helps kids think and then discuss their thinking through a variety of problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars It gives a specific level for grades, but allows ..., July 20, 2014
It gives a specific level for grades, but allows teachers to go beyond that to higher levels if they have students in their class that need the higher level of thinking and learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, April 1, 2014
If you are a teacher, or a concerned parent, this is a good book to have. It is thin but has a number of questions that require thinking and generate discussion. I did by the book used and recommend you do also. A new copy is rather pricey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource!, September 19, 2013
This is the perfect resource for teachers who are stretching their students' minds with Math reasoning and explorations! Students don't realize how much work they are doing as they discover so many answers for one problem!

Good Questions for Math Teaching: Why Ask Them and What to Ask, K-6
Good Questions for Math Teaching: Why Ask Them and What to Ask, K-6 by Peter Sullivan (Paperback - September 15, 2002)
$28.95 $18.88