Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Isle of Fire forum

Good Read For a 5 Year Old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2010 4:32:25 PM PDT
T. J. Young says:
I have a son who is turning 5 this November. He's one of those kids who is far beyond his time (in that he understands concepts at 4 that most kids probably don't until 8 or so). I'm sure a lot of parents say that, but he really does know right from wrong, life and death concepts, good vs. evil. and other ideals I don't think I picked up until later on in life.

Anyway, would this be a good book to read to him for bedtime? Or is it too violent or mature? I see a lot of mention above in the keywords about "Christian this" and "Christian that". Is this book and Isle of Swords churchy books? I don't read him anything that has to do with religion unless mentioned off hand here and there. I want him to make the choice for himself when he gets older and not lay it on him and force him to be religious. Is this going to be an issue with this book?

Posted on Apr 13, 2011 1:41:48 PM PDT
CMB says:
First off, Isle of Fire is the second book in a series. Isle of Swords is the first book.
Isle of Fire is indeed a Christian book. Some of the main characters are off on a mission to capture "The Merchant" with some monks. Anne prays and tells God she'd like to meet Him when she is in a situation she doesn't know if she'll live through. Part of Psalm 23 in quoted. But nothing in a preachy way. Cat had (in Isle of Swords) saved the nails from Jesus' cross and in this book they are at the monestery with the monks. People pray. Father Brun says that he told Skully the truth about hell to prevent him lying and get him to cooperate. Skully is rather shaken and Brun mentions that Skully may want to become a priest now.The book isn't terribly violent. People do die though. And one of the villians does resort to torturing a man. No sexual content. Cat and Anne kiss once.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Isle of Fire forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Oct 1, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 13, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Isle of Fire (Pirate Adventures)
Isle of Fire (Pirate Adventures) by Wayne Thomas Batson (Hardcover - September 9, 2008)
4.8 out of 5 stars (61)