Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Hide in Plain Sight forum

Good Romance Novels with a plot, not just a bunch of language and sex

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2009 11:13:40 PM PDT
I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on good romance books that actually have a good plot? I like books where the characters carry the story, not just a bunch of bad language and x-rated sex scenes

Posted on Mar 19, 2009 8:06:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2009 8:07:31 PM PDT
There have been a lot of threads like this recently! I guess we're all getting tired of what is considered "popular" entertainment these days.

It really depends on your taste. I like historical romance, so I like writers like Georgette Heyer, Elizabeth Mansfield and Joan Smith. There's also Madeleine Brent, who wrote great historical romantic suspense novels like "Moonraker's Bride" and "Golden Urchin." Mary Stewart is also a romantic suspense novelist whose books were re-published recently.

Lastly, I will put in a plug for my book. My second novel, MR. MALCOLM'S LIST, was just published this month. If you do like historical romance, it has no sex scenes or bad language and I think it has a good plot. :)

I hope some of these suggestions were helpful.

Suzanne Allain

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2009 8:54:58 PM PDT
BoxerLover says:
I would suggest Megan Hart. I have completed 3 of her latest (including Stranger) and I haven't been disappointed

Posted on Nov 16, 2009 1:47:27 PM PST
The best books I have ever read are the Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" series books about Jamie Frasier and Claire Beauchamp Randall. The best romance ever. Seven books now and one more to go. Each about 700 pages. Nothing better!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009 8:27:58 AM PST
Ya they are good but very sexy and has some corrupted sex in them....

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 7:36:27 PM PST
A Customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 5:32:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2009 5:37:00 AM PST
Tedd Potts says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 5:37:07 PM PST
I enjoy the intrigue books by BJ Daniels. Her books have a good story with a little romance, I liked the ones that involved White Horse Montanna and the sewing circle. Secret of Deadman's coulee is just one of them, but there are a series. I got hooked on the first book I got for my kindle and it was free until yesterday and that was Crime Scene at Cardwell Ranch, this one is not part of the White Horse series, but it was good and I enjoyed the story. I hope you will look into these.

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 3:48:58 PM PST
Tinker says:
Some of my very favorite authors with great story lines from mystery to romantic comedy, to military thrillers, are:

Colleen Coble (trains and uses search dogs in mysteries), Hannah Alexander (Er medical), Jeanette Windle (set in South America), Joel Rosenberg (fiction, up to date world happening), Oliver North (fiction, military suspense), Don Brown (military), Ed Stewart, Diann Hunt, Terri Blackstock, Davis Bunn, and many others.

If you would like more just let me know! Enjoy~

Posted on Jan 7, 2010 3:49:32 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 7, 2010 3:49:49 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 6:03:07 PM PST
If you like historical romance, Gypsey Legacy series by Denise Patrick. The first book is actualy free right now and I found it to be a good story I just started the second book and so far so good.

Posted on Jan 26, 2010 7:02:03 AM PST
Bookfan says:
Want a great clean romance series with action, adventure, humor, exotica, and a great story? Look no further than Colleen Houck's Tiger series (Tiger's Curse and Tiger's Quest). Wonderful, romantic, and fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2010 5:34:10 PM PST
Try Karen Kingsbury

Posted on Jan 27, 2010 1:53:59 PM PST
catsandbooks says:
Christy Tillery French's Chasing Demons and Chasing Secrets - both romantic suspense. Her Bodyguard series is very good - it's more along the lines of humorous romantic suspense.

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 7:33:15 PM PST
K. Colby says:
The Givenchy Code
It is an entertaining read and has just enough smut :)

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 4:11:00 PM PST
J. Brandel says:
"Welcome to Temptation" by Jennifer Crusie

You have to watch out with her books, some are old (and bad) romance novels reprinted due to the author's popularity, but "Temptation" is by far my favorite, and she is the only romance writer whose books are on my bookshelf.

"Darkfever" by Karen Marie Moning

Not a romance novel per se, but plenty of sexual tension, and some sex does occur later in the series. If you like fantasy/science fiction as well, you'll love this series!

"A Kiss of Shadows" by Laurell K. Hamilton

Again, not a romance novel per se, but an excellent series about a detective fairy princess who must get pregnant in order to secure the crown. So fantasy, romance and detective all mixed together. Like Hamilton's other series (Anita Blake), the series suffers from some bad writing later on, but I'm still holding out hope for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2010 11:22:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2010 11:26:44 AM PST
S. J. Twigg says:
Golden Urchin is my favorite book, ever! I never thought anyone else knew about it. The Tiger books are fantastic by Colleen Houck...I just finished them and they were spellbinding!

Posted on Mar 12, 2010 8:41:47 AM PST
C. Johnson says:
Try author Lynn Knurland. Her books are "closed door romances", so no sex scenes. My favorites are the "Nine Kingdoms" series because I like the fantasy style, but her historical romances are good too.

Posted on Mar 16, 2010 10:13:03 PM PDT
A. Bell says:
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and the rest of the books of the series. Excellent.

Posted on Mar 23, 2010 6:13:05 PM PDT
P. Vreeland says:
All of Julie Garwood's historical romance novels are wonderful. They are funny and women are strong determined characters. I am frustrated they are not in Kindle format yet.

Posted on Nov 28, 2010 10:57:32 AM PST
M. Rhyner says:
the twilight saga was good. Nicholas sparks has some really good ones.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 2:30:32 PM PST
flamenca says:
You could try mine...Venetian Masquerade...available on Kindle.

Posted on Dec 3, 2010 9:19:02 AM PST
I love Francine Rivers books!

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:57:49 PM PST
I have really enjoyed all of Chautona Havig's books. Has some for pre-teens / teens too. They have plot & depth, and are clean. Ready or Not (Aggie's Inheritance)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2012 7:49:36 AM PDT
Sam says:
The Hero's Best Friend by Elise Dee Beraru is a really nice book. I loved te way the story flowed and while there was gratuitous sex, most of it was really integral to the flow of the story and the character development was amazing. Its a book set in the old west style. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Hide in Plain Sight forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Hide in Plain Sight (Three Sisters Inn, Book 1)
Hide in Plain Sight (Three Sisters Inn, Book 1) by Marta Perry (Mass Market Paperback - August 7, 2007)
4.2 out of 5 stars (1,649)