Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale

Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This formula has the same active ingredients as Robitussin Cough + Chest Congestion DM, which is, in each 20 ml. (2 tsp.), 20 mg. dextromethorphan and 200 mg. guaifenesin. Dextromethorphan is an antitussive (cough suppressant) drug, and guaifenesin is an expectorant (Mucinex is the most well-known brand name guaifenesin). Just so you know, when you buy a similar formula, from Robitussin or generic, etc., that is billed as being "maximum strength," it is typically the guaifenesin that is stronger while the amount of dextromethorphan remains the same. For example, Robitussin Maximum Strength Cough + Chest Congestion DM has, like GoodSense Tussin, Walmart Tussin DM, and Robitussin Cough + Chest Congestion DM, 20 mg. dextromethorphan per 2 tsp. dose, but has twice as much of the expectorant guaifenesin, at 400 mg. per 2 tsp. instead of 200 mg. per tsp. for the non-maximum strength formulas.

What I do is buy generic guaifenesin, usually at Walmart where it's very inexpensive and comes in 400 mg. scored caps which because they're scored can easily be halved, and I then take a half (200 mg.) with a non-maximum strength formula that gives me 200 mg. of guaifenesin. That way I get a good dose of dextromethorphan and a full dose of the expectorant guaifenesin. And if I don't feel a need for expectorant I just take the liquid without taking half a tablet of generic guaifenesin.

Dextromethorphan tends to make me a tad drowsy (in high doses it is a central nervous system depressant and is sometimes used recreationally for this reason), whereas the only effect I've ever experienced from taking guaifenesen is the one it's supposed to have, which is that it works as an expectorant. But I seem to need a 400 mg. dose to get this effect, and I can't get that from GoodSense Tussin DM unless I supplement each dose with half a generic guaifenesin tablet.

I took GoodSense Tussin DM today, plus 1/2 of a generic guaifenesin tablet (my local Walgreen's has a generic-generic section in the pharmacy section that is separate from the regular stuff - so I wouldn't find this cheap - 97 cents for 15 tablets, I think - guaifenesin if I looked where the Mucinex, Robitussin and Equate brands, etc., are shelved), and it worked exactly the same as Robitussin and Equate. Because so many OTC medications work identically, which brand or generic I buy depends solely on price and expiration date. (And I'm not terribly concerned about expiration dates, especially since a pharmacist told me she would use anything OTC or prescription up to six years after the expiration date, plus there was some study done by the US Army when it realize it was discarding out of date medications that were still fully potent.)

GoodSense is distributed by Perrigo, a large, leading manufacturer of pharmaceuticals, listed on the stock exchange (symbol PRGO, sold at $146.70 today), and is as far as I can tell a solid, reliable company. So like I say above, when selecting a cough formula, for me it comes down to price. This GoodSense cough formula tasted less yucky to me than the Equate equivalent, but I figure that taking something like this requires that I chase it with some OJ or something.
on April 11, 2014
I finally had to use this the other night with a cough I got during the recovery of a pretty bad sore throat. The cough was mainly triggered by a tickle in my throat and this medicine would temporarily relieve me from the cough, but it was only for like 5 minutes. It has a very strong sharp taste too and resembles what I would image poison would taste like. Perhaps the type of cough I had was not right for this medicine. I'll try it again next cough and update you if anything changes.
VINE VOICEon April 24, 2014
Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I had a nagging cough / throat issue that lasted about two weeks.

I was taking extra zinc, airborne, and other over the counter immune boosters to try and head it off before it got worse.It never broke out into anything more serious, but it didn't go away completely either.

With a product like this, it is difficult to say how it worked.

If I took the Delsym first. was it responsible for the elimination of my nagging throat discomfort? Same goes for the Delsym, if I took the Tussin first, did it destroy the post nasal drip feeling in the back of my throat? Was it a combination of the two? If I took the Delsym the first time I got sick and the Tussin the second time I got sick, but I was sick with two completely different viruses, then how can I compare these products without a lab and cultures to corroborate my findings?

So, to make it simple, I will say that the Tussin tastes similar to the Delsym-neither one tastes very good. Both coat my throat for a short period of soothing from the irritation and inflammation. Other than that, I would say that I cannot recommend one over the other. If the price is your final decision maker, the "generic" Tussin beats out the name bran Delsym.

Eventually, the persistent cough / sore throat went away. If it was due to the Tussin and not the Delsym, save a few bucks and go with the Tussin.

I did not dislike this product.
Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The current price of this Good Sense cough syrup, $2.72 for 8 ounces (as an "add-on" product), is a great deal. But does it work? I find it to be just as effective as a name-brand cough syrup, which is to say, not very, but it helps.

This syrup (as most) is thick and has menthol to coat and soothe your throat, so you will instantly feel a little better and have a reduced urge to cough, especially if your cough is from post-nasal drip. By the time that effect wears off, hopefully the dextromethorphan (the cough-suppressant ingredient) has had a chance to kick in. Dextromethorphan isn't a great cough suppressant, but nothing over the counter really is. For nighttime use, I prefer to use diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which I think works better, but it also makes me profoundly sleepy, which dextromethorphan does not.

The taste is acceptable. The dosage cup is high quality and easy to read (which is not always the case when buying non-brand cough medicine). The guaifenesin content is 200mg per dose, which is half as much as the maximum you can take of guaifenesin at a time. But you really only need the max dose if you have thick mucous that you are having trouble clearing (or if you are having sinus issues).

Overall, this is a fine product, given the limitations of over-the-counter medicine.
on March 9, 2014
this stuff worked great on my cold. i couldnt tell difference between this and major name brand. yes i would use again
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )Verified Purchase
I like this Cough and Chest Congestion medicine quite well. In my opinion it works just as well as any other cough and chest congestion option that's on the market.

I think this medicine has a cherry flavor to it and I think it tastes just fine. Some liquids make me want to gag when I take them because I think the flavor is so bad but that's not the case with this medicine.

I like the fact that 2 teaspoons is all that's required. Some options that I've taken have been a pretty large dose. I think this amount does the job and will usually last the full 4 hours that it indicates that it will.

I think this product does the job of temporarily relieving my cough and chest congestion. I would recommend giving this product a try.
Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Good Sense competes on price in the OTC medication space. This cough and chest congestion syrup competes with Robitussan, NyQuil and Coricidin among others.

There are a few ways to take the active medications, dextromethorphan and guaifenesin. I personally hate the taste of everything that contains guafenesin, an expectorant. Dextromethorphan can be ingested through syrup, lozenges, spray or tablets.

There are a lot of potential side effects with these drugs. Yet most of us experience some relief. Most of us can't take a day off work so we've got to take these things to help get some sleep.
VINE VOICEon June 18, 2014
Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I received this product right around the same time a death cold was settling into my chest. Timing could not have been more perfect.

Generally, I run to my trusted grandpa-approved Robitussin when I'm sick, but luckily I had this on hand.

It works as well, if not potentially better, than Robitussin for a fraction of the price. There, I said it. Then again, it should since it has the same active ingredients.

Colds need to run their course, but this sure as heck made it a lot more bearable.

Highly recommend!
Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
GoodSense Tussin DM Cough and Chest Congestion has 10 mg of Dextromethorphan and 100 mg of Guaifenesin which is the same ingredients found in the similar named Robitussin's cough syrup. Taste is ok but not great and compares with the Robitussin. The syrup does work and quiets down the cough and relieves some of the congestion. This is a product that is worth having in the medicine cabinet.
Size: 8 Fluid OunceVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Good Sense Tussin DM is made by Perrigo, the largest manufacturer of generic drugs in the U.S.

Each 10 ml or 2 teaspoon does contains dextromethorphan 20 mg and guaifenesin 200 mg to loosen secretions and congestion and reduce coughing. Drinking plenty of fluids will also help.

The safety-sealed bottle that I received expires 09/15, about fifteen months from receipt. The package includes a medicine cup