Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on July 11, 2015
The point I am happiest with about this series is that I had my wife pick all three up from the library, so I wasted no money on them. If I did not *hate* starting a series and not finishing it, I would have stopped after the first, or certainly after the second. As it was, I slogged through all three before writing this.

There were two earlier 2-star reviews that contain points I agree whole-heartedly with. Neither, however, covered one of the points that prevented me from enjoying any of the three books. I felt the Separatists had just cause. Certainly in the first book Travis went out of his way to point out how corrupt the Earth government was and how little say anyone off-Earth had in government decisions. Even in the second and third books, while Earth had a president who Travis gave everything short of an actual halo -- the remainder of the government continued to be corrupt. In short, there seemed to be an excellent reason for the Separatist movement to exist. In one part, the President makes a speech that the colonies seceding had no resemblance to the American colony breaking away from Britain... but did not actually provide any justification to this assertion.

Since both sides were human, it's not like John Ringo's Posleen series where you can simply write off 'enemy' deaths as being unimportant. The Separatists seemed to be in the right to me, but their deaths were treated as being trivial whereas one of the Earth forces getting a hangnail was a tragedy. In addition, despite being outnumbered in almost every fight, the Earth forces always prevailed -- even though the hardware was essentially identical in most cases and in some the Separatist had *better* hardware. I could neither believe the battles nor care about the characters he lavished attention on.

In short, the series as a whole was just completely unsatisfying to read. I didn't care for the ending, but I was happy to hit the last page.
VINE VOICEon November 6, 2010
Minority view here. The problem I have is that there is action galore, which I like, but that much of it is the description of simulator battles. These may be informative, but I keep saying to myself: "dream sequence, who cares?"

Also, The "pretend" battles, and the real ones, are described minutely: But in the Doc's case, it is exactly as if he played 5 intense minutes of an online first-person-shooter session, and then went back over the recording and transcribed every bit of it in excruciating (or delicious, if you like it) detail with plenty of "oowaagh!" grunts to let you know high-g forces are in play. You get Every thumb-toggle of an alternate weapon system, spiral evasion move, excited slogan-laden radio communication and techy-sounding acronym. Even the deaths feel like gamer "deaths, kind of inconsequential.

I would have said it is better to spend two pages describing action, rather than one throw-away sentence such as "and then they advanced a click under heavy fire", But this is way, way too much.

I know,I know, if you like it, you like it, but to me it really needs to be edited down.

I loved how evil the villain was. Making her human instead of a cartoon made her actions even worse. I liked the characters. It's a good story. I did my own editing by skimming: "Hmm, battle action starting, skip ahead 1, 2, 3, 5 (!) pages". This David Weber level verbosity is hard to plow through.

Sorry to be negative when there is a gem of a tale pillowed in all the that cellulose verbiage.
on December 7, 2009
One Good Soldier ties up the loose ends with practically all of our favorite characters surviving about ten years of war. Most questions are answered, with the possible exception of the political dynamics behind the civil war. Either because of limitations of space or disruption to the narrative flow, why so many people would go to such lengths to destroy the United States is not all that clear. Part of it may lie in the fact that the protagonist U.S. President is a Republican. Maybe the (far future) collectivist wing of the American Left decided to take what it could of the frontier states in space to create a utopia.

The book is an action story where, in the end, the principles of a 600-year old constitution ultimately prevail. However, I did appreciate the rough justice in the concluding chapter where certain people get what's coming to them in a fashion appropriate to the latest Vince Flynn novel. (He writes about the world of special ops and covert actions in our current war.)

I give it 5-stars because it accomplishes its intended purpose quite well. This is an action story with characters we care about and a moral center. Good vs. evil and "Duty, Honor, Country" may sound old-fashioned some time but those values are at the core of this story.
on January 9, 2011
The first two books in the series were pretty good, a little jumbled and with a lot of characters, but pretty good.

This book finished up the story line. Way too many viewpoint characters for what was going on, but the first half was okay. Lots of over described simulated battles, but nothing too bad and a decent read. Then the wheels came off.

The second half of the book read like a college freshman picked up the assignment and took an overdose of ritalin. Just hyper jumping around and over doing every single thing. The technology turned into magic without any meaningful story limits.

It turns out the main driver for the series is revealed in the last few pages, the big secret for the entire world of the books. The one big bad girl's deepest reason for her actions.

And it was so stupid that I am not sure I will read Taylor again. Summary and stupid.
on February 13, 2010
An excellent military science fiction pick is Travis S. Taylor's ONE GOOD SOLDIER, which takes place six years after the events of THE TAU CETI AGENDA and offers a narrowed focus on a single critical day in the history of the U.S. of the Sol System, when Ross 128 secedes from the union and action must be taken to prevent an interstellar civil war. A top pick for libraries where patrons like military science fiction action.
on December 5, 2010
I love the way this author tied up this series. So often SF series just die (usually a book or 2 before the last one of the series) and fizzle out in mediocracy. This one does not and I appreciate that.
For those who have read the previous 2 books this is a continuation of President Moore against his oh so deliciously evil mother-in-law on a galactic scale.
For those who have not read the first 2 books and like action Sci Fi, get them. They are worth the reading. This is the third in a series where terrorist separatists are dead set to destroy the established order headed by our hero - Moore.
The genius of the book and series are the action scenes (though I agree with a separate comment that the depiction of grunts, stomach tightening, etc to combat the G forces does get a bit wearying), character growth, and finally the emerging details of the society that the separatists live in. This is not a stereotypical depiction and I enjoyed this.
I very much like how Moore's wife emerged from the shadows to be a real person in this book.
Instead or depicting the details of the plot, I will say that it is action filled, the actions is well done, the character development is most enjoyable, and this is a great read. To repeat myself, if you like action Sci Fi get this book and prepare to be entertained.
on March 7, 2011
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like books that leave me feeling good. The good guy wins, the bad guy loses. This one does that. It finishes the trilogy quite well.
on February 21, 2013
Well written and interesting, but some descriptions were just excess verbiage. Same complaint about minimum requirement on total words in a review.
on November 26, 2011
Good end to the trilogy. Good characters, nice action sequences and all loose ends were tied up. And, I like the transforming marine mechas.
on April 9, 2015
Similar to the previous 2 books in the series, but quite good fun. Definitely worth reading