Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Good Woman: Poems and a Memoir 1969-1980 (American Poets Continuum)
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 18, 2000
I love reading Lucille Clifton's poetry. I get a real sense of her person, her pain, her history. Some poems are so moving, I can't help but cry. I am stunned to find such fine wording, the way she knows just what word to use. Some of her word choices are unusual....they're not a way that one would have thought of that word, but in the context of the poem, the word finds a home, makes sense. Additionally, she expresses her appreciation of the earth in almost religious terms; her exploration of religion in her poetry is extremely appealing to me. She seems to have a sense of appreciation for, and sympathetic understanding of, the characters (Job, Moses especially) in the Bible, I feel closer to them myself when viewing them through her eyes. I like this book also because you feel the strength of the woman behind the words, she's wise, she's had her pain, but she's able to celebrate those things in life that are worth celebrating -- love, family, simple pleasures and even her own hair and hips. I love too many poems to list here, but you should go to your library and read these poems; even if you don't buy the book, these poems should find a place in your life: Salt, The Lesson of the Falling Leaves, Mary, Cutting Greens....so many more. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
on October 4, 2002
Lucille Clifton has always been one of my favorite poets. Her accessible poetry captures in moving, eloquent verse living in the world. Her unique voice speaks in language that is not unnecessarily dense and "cerebral": an especially desirable trait given the frequently written complaint regarding lack of readership for modern poetry. Lucille Clifton writes poetry we ALL can relate to, not just the academics and, to be a little unkind, poetry "snobs". Recommended highly.
on February 13, 2008
Lucille Clifton is my aunt, my father's sister. However, my father was absent, so to me, this book is more than a collection of poems or casual redaing but a true gift of my own family history in black and white, a history that I wasn't aware of. Now that I it has given me strength. My friends and I summon up my aunt's namesake, the ORIGINAL Lucille (!)anytime we need to lay down the law! Thank you Aunt Lucille for your gift and for this gift to me.
on August 13, 2013
I love this particular collection, because the poems are so simple they have made me actually cry - and I am NOT at all an emotional person. This is true, even though I read poetry. I love Lucille Clifton, may she rest in splendid peace.
on April 30, 2014
lucille clifton's poems mesmerize us with vivid imagery, powerful honesty and dreamy melodies. deceptively simple, clifton's short poems contain entire landscapes, histories, declarations and songs of myself. the beautiful language coalesces into deep metaphors and brave truths about race, slavery, war, sexism and civil rights.

in humanizing the exploited earth, clifton humanizes exploited people. she returns us to our ancient and innate humanity where we come from the sun, putting forth healing energy.

the lack of punctuation and capitalization gives the poems in good woman a streamlined immediacy. each line break is music that produces a complete sensation.

clifton makes us sympathetic to the view that everyone should be allowed to be who they are: the tree, the woman,the man, the rain.

lucille clifton is one of our most beloved poetry ancestors
on November 13, 2012
The poems I think were short and profound. The left me thinking and pondering after I read them.Many were bitter
slices of life and heart wrenching. I found it difficult to read a lot of them at one time, They seemed to come piling and
crashing on one another. Many were very personal and raw which made them all the more moving. Read them.
on September 20, 2000
Lucille Clifton's GOOD WOMAN is an excellent volume of poetry. Moreover, the memoir challenges the traditional exercise of writing the self and experience that merits articulation. Clifton's poems and imagery rarely disappoint, but name the unspoken and bring greater consciousness and empowerment.
on May 30, 2016
These poems are incredibly entertaining and thought-provoking. The poet is incredible at adding music to the sound of her poems, and I couldn't help but sway my head while reading her poems.
on February 5, 2013
poems are beyond my ken. The memoir is written in Black vernacular and was hard to understand or believe. But that's me.
on December 5, 2014
Very reasonably priced and in like-new condition