Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 1, 2011
I got this book to prepare my 3.5YO for her tonsillectomy. Her cousin, who was 5 or 6 at the time of her tonsillectomy, read the same book to prepare for her surgery.
Pros:
* gives an accurate description generally of the day of surgery (no liquids or food, being scared, checking-in, bracelet, IV, gas mask, etc.).
* gives some great ideas for preparation (reading other books, playing hospital, good-bye, tonsils party)
* goes over the whys of why the surgery is occurring and why certain things are needed like the IV. I do wish she'd gone over why it is important to drink fluids afterwards but we can't have it all...
* definitely focuses on the more positive elements like special treats in recovery, TV and rest and that it's all over soon enough.

Cons:
*in the book, it's over TOO soon -- I've never heard of a 4 day recovery. Heck the scabs are sloughing off at 4 days post-op usually and the pain is supposed to INCREASE then. So I think it is unrealistic in that regard and if true, the girl enjoyed an unusually fast recovery. The quickest I've heard of from my circle of friends and acquaintances is 7 days, sometimes as long as 18.
* the book glosses over the pain factor. If you have ever been in a recovery room with other kids who had tonsils out, you'll know the thrashing, crying, disorientation, etc. I've yet to see kids calmly sitting and chatting with each other in a recovery room (been in one 3 times sadly for various ENT surgeries of my kids). Also, the pain can increase when the scabs come off and the book doesn't go over that at all -- she's back in school by then! So I think that's a bit unrealistic. She also glosses over the discomfort of the IV but in a good way, talking about how it is needed.
* The book talks about eating lots of ice cream. That's just a bit dated there as a lot of drs now discourage dairy during the initial recovery.
* Doesn't go over other post-op things like the horrible bad breath.
* long -- it is a bit wordy for a 3.5YO for sure. Heck, probably a bit wordy for older kids too. I tend to summarize some paragraphs instead of reading them verbatim. My daughter can still sit through the book and loves it though.

OVERALL: A good book for prep but requires a bit of editorializing by the reader in terms of pain prep, recovery time and length of the book.
on August 4, 2013
I bought this book to help prepare my 4 year old for her upcoming tonsillectomy. It was very helpful and she loved the story. A good explanation of what tonsils are for, and what to expect after the surgery. Nicely written and very child-friendly.
on February 18, 2013
I found this picture book to be a bit wordy and a little off in the description of the procedure. I'm not sure what's standard in the way of tonsillectomies these days, but here's where I didn't feel the story was up to par. Mind you, these are portions of the story that are clearly depicted in the illustrations, so I couldn't just "skip it."

1. The description where the parents are allowed to go into the OR. Not standard in our hospital, where my son had an outpatient procedure. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be allowed in, so I omitted this part when I read the story.
2. Excessive use of a phrase similar to "I was scared." Well of course things are going to be a bit frightening for the little ones, but repetition of this notion further cements the idea into their head, right? If the girl in the story was scared and mommy is telling me it's going to be scary, then I"m really going to FREAK OUT!
3. Post surgical chatting with another patient. My son was in the recovery room a very short time before we were allowed to go home. Maybe fifty minutes. At no time was he in any condition to get chatty with another patient in the recovery room.
4. The good-bye tonsils cake. Why does the main character's tonsillectomy outweigh the importance of her younger sibling's birthday? The birthday cake was much smaller than the Good Bye Tonsils cake. This is just silly. And it reminds me of my own shortcomings as a mom, brushing off an important milestone of my younger child for the sake of my older child's feelings.
5. Not everyone lives in the city. My son was very excited to see the taxi cab and wanted to know if he could ride in one after his surgery. We don't live in the city. We drove home. Another disappointment.
on December 30, 2012
This book definitely helped my 3 year old understand what was about to happen. We did the cake and everything just like in the book. I would wait to read it until about 2 days before surgery though. (and the recovery in the book is MUCH easier than in real life)
on April 30, 2013
This is a great book. I bought it for my 7 year old who had her tonsils out less than a week ago. She read it 3 times a day the week leading up to her surgery. It really prepared her for what to expect. However, the little girl in the book goes back to school 4 days after her surgery. This just DOES NOT happen. Days 5-8 after surgery are the worst. That's when the scabs begin to come off the back of the throat, causing increased pain, lots of coughing and spitting and an increased risk of bleeding. I know the book is meant for kids, and maybe I am just very liberal and open with my kids, but I think it is a little misleading. Kids that have had a tonsillectomy may not resume normal activity for 2 weeks after surgery. Love the book though, and more importantly, my daughter loved it too!
on July 22, 2014
We bought this for my son after searching for books to read to him before his surgery. This book was AMAZING! iI went through everything and gave us some ideas to do both before and after his surgery. We made a goodbye tonsils party for him as the girl in the book did and brought along his favorite blanket for when he woke up from surgery. I would highly recommend this book to any parent whose child is going to have their tonsils removed…especially because it it so relevant as it was written by a girl (and her father) who had her tonsils removed
on January 6, 2015
Bought this book for my 4 yr old. Very wordy book, but also nicely detailed. I skipped some parts as they only made the story longer but this book helped prepare him for his surgery. Explained everything from checking in, to going home. Age appropriate for elementary age kiddos, but easily can been re-worded for younger kids.
on December 24, 2013
On the whole, was glad to have this book. I read it several times with my 5-year-old before having her tonsils out yesterday, and it prepared her for the whole thing. She knew what to expect, which is half the battle against a little one's fear in a case like this. I kept reminding her of Juliana's experience each step of the way; even now, as she is pain, I remind my daughter that Juliana feels much better a few days after the operation, and it seems to help her get through it.

The book is a bit wordy for a 5-year-old, but in general informative for the whole journey. There are probably a few minor details in here that some doctors would slightly disagree with, but nothing major.
on August 20, 2011
I bought this for my 3 year old granddaughter before she had her tonsils removed. My daughter tried reading the book to her but it she did not like it. I think it was too much information for a 3 year old. I would suggest this for children over 4 1/2.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2016
Our three boys had to have their tonsils removed, and we got this book to gently prepare them beforehand. This book was great, it gave a detailed account of what to expect and was extremely accurate. Come surgery day, they seemed mildly anxious, and new what was going to happen because we read this book to them. I definitely recommend it to other parents who have children facing this surgery.