5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Its Purpose!
When I searched for kids books on tonsillectomies, I was surprised to have such a small selection. Luckily, this book more than met my need! My 4 1/2 year old daughter received the book last night, and has already asked for two readings and has "read it" to herself repeatedly. It provided the perfect experience for talking about her upcoming operation. She uses the...
Published on November 17, 2001 by D. Salerni

3.0 out of 5 stars not my first chioce...
We purchased this book about a week before our 4 year old daughter got her tonsils out. Though this book had a lot of accurate information about what would happen before the surgery, it was very misleading to both us as her parents and her as a child. Our three biggest complaints were 1) the book was way to long to keep 4 year old's attention 2) the story line had...
Published on March 7, 2005 by Meredith Tolley

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book to help child (and family) prepare for tonsillectomy, October 26, 2009
BosKat (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my neighbor's 4 year old son who was having a tonsillectomy. The whole family really enjoyed it. Other reviewers had mentioned that it wasn't accurate in regards to the procedure, recovery times, etc. No one has the same exact experience in a hospital or with a procedure no matter what procedure it is. The book was not meant as a medical guide but as a nice way for a child and his/her family to discuss and prepare for what can be a scary experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY REALISTIC, June 21, 2010
Susan P. Adams (PLATTSBURGH, NEW YORK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I PURCHASED THIS BOOK FOR MY 6 YEAR OLD GRANDAUGHETER ,QUINN,PRIOR TO HER TONSILLECTOMY AND ADENOIDECTOMY.... I AM AN OPERATING ROOM NUSE AND I FOUND THIS BOOK TO BE VERY ACCURATE AND INTERESTING TO MY GRANDAUGHTER...... SHE BROUGHT UP ALOT OF QUESTIONS.... AND I FEEL IT PREPARED HER VERY WELL FOR HER SURGERY....SHE DID EXCELLENT HAVING HER SURGERY....

SUSAN P. ADAMS,RN

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful to get child ready for surgery, August 18, 2009
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This book definately diminished the fears of my 4 year old about having is tonsils out. He went from being scared silly about the whole thing to helping me pack his bags. The only thing I would say is wrong with the book, is that it very much underestimates the recovery time. I think parents should be more upfront about how long it will take to feel better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good-Bye Tonsils was a wonderful book., May 30, 2014
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
My grandaughter was having her tonsels out. She is only five years old. She really liked this book and had her Mother read it to her several times before the proceedure. It helped her in facing the day she had her tonsils out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read with minor caveats, May 8, 2014
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
A helpful little book for a child about to experience a tonsillectomy, but with two caveats:
1. In the story, the child returns to school the 3rd day (I think it was 3 days--been a few weeks since we read it together). Doctors here require tonsillectomy patients be out of school for 2 weeks.
1. The section for parents I would omit. Children old enough to read the story also read That Part, which is not intended for them and may add to their stress levels.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for children to learn, April 26, 2014
cindy granger (manitowoc, wi, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
its a great book for children to learn why their tonsils have to come out. helps them prepare and makes it less scary

3.0 out of 5 stars There are better books out there, April 11, 2014
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I purchased 3 books to help my 5-year old prepare for his tonsillectomy. Good-Bye Tonsils, The Surgery Book for Kids and Curious George Goes to the Hospital. Personally, I would not recommend this book. It is OK, but far from great. The Surgery Book for Kids by Shivani Bhatia does a much better job of helping the child understand what is going to happen, when and why. Good-Bye tonsils focused a little too much on the cake and presents, and gave and unrealistic expectation on pain and overall recovery time. It also was unrealistic (at least for us) in terms of when the parents will be with the child at the hospital. We cannot go to the operating room with him, nor can we be in the recovery room ... so again, the book sets an unrealistic expectation. I wish I had read the other reviews before purchasing both books ... as this one was a waste of money for us! If you have a child who will be having a tonsillectomy, I recommending spending a few dollars more for The Surgery Book for Kids!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Very good book for a young child to read before going to surgery. She was not as scared after she read the book .

4.0 out of 5 stars A good little prep course for getting tonsils out., December 24, 2013
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
On the whole, was glad to have this book. I read it several times with my 5-year-old before having her tonsils out yesterday, and it prepared her for the whole thing. She knew what to expect, which is half the battle against a little one's fear in a case like this. I kept reminding her of Juliana's experience each step of the way; even now, as she is pain, I remind my daughter that Juliana feels much better a few days after the operation, and it seems to help her get through it.

The book is a bit wordy for a 5-year-old, but in general informative for the whole journey. There are probably a few minor details in here that some doctors would slightly disagree with, but nothing major.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) (Paperback)
Awesome! This book really prepared my 3 year old for her tonsillectomy! She knew what to expect, even the nurses and doctor commented on how well prepared she was.

Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books)
Good-bye Tonsils! (Picture Puffin Books) by Craig Hatkoff (Paperback - June 17, 2004)
$6.99 $6.29