Samsung 5-Inch Galaxy Player (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Used & New from: $66.47
Good (ANY) case for Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 First of all, it's hard to search for anything like accessories with this thing given the very confusing name. No two places call it exactly the same thing.

With that said, I have been totally unable to find a good case like a Seidio, Otterbox, Speck, or anything similar.

I really want a custom fit case that stays on, not something to store it in while it's being carried. It needs to be something rugged to protect from drops.

Otterbox said maybe, and Seidio said no. Is this product going to be ignored by aftermarket vendors?
asked by mdorange on October 25, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 91 answers
A
votes
You might know this already, but the Galaxy Player 5.0 was released outside the US as the "Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0". You might be able to find a limited availability of cases using this as a search text. I did a quick search on Ebay for cases for the Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5.0, and found only no-name cases. I'm holding off on a purchase of the 5.0 screen size to find out first if it becomes popular enough for aftermarket case suppliers to start offering good case options. I would guess that depends on how well the Galaxy Player 5.0 catches on.
Richard Bruer answered on October 25, 2011

A
votes
I too, am have been having trouble finding a case for this Player. 2 weeks yet, after this posting. I Love this thing! But it needs to be protected. I also happen to sell cases for a living, so I know a thing or two.
I just wanted to add here, that all I have been able to get a hold of, are cases for the Asian model of this unit. These cases do fit, but are just not quite right. (I am using one now) Cases for the Asian model have a cut out on top, for their pull out telescoping antenna. Which is used for TV reception. The other un-needed cutout is below, for an HDMI - out port. Which the U.S.A. model also does not have. These extra 'cuttings' add to the case being just not quite right. So look for this, when buying.
I will check back and post more here, as it becomes available to me.
SteveIowa answered on November 9, 2011

A
votes
An outfit called "riot outfitters" has a case at Bestbuy. (Two, actually, but one seems to be just a cover for the back, with no front.)

The folio case is ok, but they didn't do a good job of ducting the speakers on it. I picked one up to avoid breaking the player, cut some divots out of the back so I can close the case and still get OK sound, and have discovered just how ergonomically bad the case is - closed, the case prevents access to volume and power.

Open, they're still a fumble to reach. But there are cases out there, so hopefully more will arrive.
roustabout answered on October 31, 2011

A
votes
Although I have found a couple of cases are availible for this device I have been hesitant to commit the amount they are asking sight unseen.
However I have found a case that, with a very easy and no damaging mod, works rather well for the Samsung Galaxy Player 5 and can be had pretty cheaply.

I picked the case up on ebay here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230628797468?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

(in the event the link is removed do a ebay search on the vender etronicspro)

The case is originaly designed for a Archos 5 internet tablet. The Archos device would appear to be a little wider and as such you need to make a slight modification to hold the SGP 5.0 in snuggly.

When you get the case it will come packed with a piece of foam in the location where your SGP will rest; the purpose of the foam is to keep the case from being crushed during shipping. Trim off about a 1/4 inch strip from the length of the foam and place it in the base of the case; this will help press the SGP 5 up to the upper tab holding the device securely as well as raise the device up just enough to avoid blocking any of the screen.

The case may not be designed for the SGP; it wont have any of the holes for the camera and speakers, although if you wanted to be creative you probrobply can put them in there, but it works quite well for just ofer $7 US

Have a Magical Day
koboilila answered on November 18, 2011

A
votes
Best Buy has a case by "riot outfitters". it is a folio case and is selling for $17.99, I have one and it fits perfectly
Kiva Tilford answered on November 28, 2011

A
votes
Do a google search for case for a yp70 which is what device called in Europe.I found two sites full of accessories for yp-70
M. Giunta answered on November 26, 2011

A
votes
I also find it disappointing that there are so few case options. I ended up buying an envelope case for a Garmin 5 inch GPS. It actually gives pretty good protection and I can use the headphones while it is in the case. To charge I need to have my player a little bit outside of the case. The case has a very strong velcro closure and it is a little bit padded. It is some kind of vinyl fake leather but looks normal enough. The case is this one: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74243 I am really surprised that Samsung provides no option. I should note that the player is actually held in pretty well but the case is not a tight fit. It would probably be able to accomadate the player with one of the riot outfitters backs on it. I really like this device and a lot of people have been asking me about it because it really does seem to be in it's own class. So much easier to read than on an iPod touch or iPhone.
Cyril answered on December 13, 2011

A
votes
Just received mine the other day. I emailed them first to make sure it fit the US version and they confirmed it. It was a perfect fit and shipping was super fast:

http://www.rearthusa.com/Galaxy-Player-50-Ringke-_p_296.html
S. Rola answered on December 22, 2011

A
votes
I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Your information was very helpful. I took the advice of those who mentioned buying a GPS carrying case for their Galaxy player and did a search on Amazon for GPS cases. I liked the Case Logic case made to fit up GPS screens up to 5" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001S2R8E0/ref=oh_o00_s01_i01_details). The player fits in decently with just a little extra space width wise, but the elastic strap in the case holds it in place. I also fit my headphones, a stand, and the charger in the mesh netted side of the case. All of that fit a wee bit tightly in the mesh net, but it does fit, I was able to zip the case up, and it is nice to see I can carry everything that way if I need to.

The stand I bought is this: Gibson Holders Small Display Stand, Black Base/Black Wire, Set of 2 (1PL-BB) . Holds the player well horizontally. Vertically it is a bit more challenging, but it can hold it if the player is placed just right.

I'll have to order more screen protectors since the ones I ordered are not cut correctly for the player, even though the company (Empire) claimed they were. I am wondering if they sent me some cut for the 4" player by accident, since the protectors were too small length and width wise. I'd like a gel case and plan on trying one of the TPU gel cases that's in link Grandmaster B posted earlier. I'd love to also get one of the Rearth Ringke cases as well, once they get them back in stock.
nm answered on January 4, 2012

A
vote
It is amazing how few protective cases there are for the SGP 5.0. I think I will go the ebay route on this one. There are tons of cases (mostly soft gel variety) available for under $5 delivered. I refuse to buy the $20-$25 versions at Best Buy. For less than $5 it is a small invetment:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=samsung+galaxy+5.0&_sacat=20349&Compatible%2520Brand=For%2520Samsung&_odkw=&_osacat=20349&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311
Grandmaster B answered on December 12, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   Next ›