Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on February 2, 2004
The authors conducted a parenting seminar at my church a couple of years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt like I got a lot out of their presentation, but decided not to buy their book since I'd taken detailed notes. After several weeks, I found myself asking questions about some of the practical applications of their "honor-based" method of parenting. Eventually, I stopped doing it and went back to my previous free-form ideas and style. One day my two older children had been picking on each other mercilessly and whining beyond belief. I decided to buy a copy of Turansky and Miller's book to see if it would make a difference having the book itself handy for reference and taking notes. Much to my surprise, after reading the book and taking notes about the practicals details of teaching my children about "showing honor" to other family members, I noticed a difference in our family dynamics the first day! It's been quite awhile now that we've been implementing these ideas, and this weekend I had a group of middle school youth at church comment to me about how my children actually like their siblings and treat each other with kindness and respect. Evidently the kids who were talking to me thought this was really, REALLY unusual ... brothers and sisters who actually like each other? Who make an effort to be nice and speak kindly to each other (and about each other)? Wow ... what a concept. It was so encouraging to realize that the fruit of "honor" in our family was evident to others, too. I highly recommend this book!
0Comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2002
Too many parenting books concentrate on abstract concepts; this one is down to earth and practical! Turansky/Miller provide positive parenting techniques for the basic problems ALL parents have in raising kids (i.e they don't do what I say, they won't accept no for an answer, etc.). I especially appreciate their critique of the "time out" so many parents use as a punishment or behavior modification tool. Their "take a break" principle is MUCH more effective and emphasizes attitude change--something that will help children for a lifetime. Bottom line: I have used their principles with my independent, six-year old, and they WORK! Parents--buy this book! Better yet, use it!
on August 24, 2005
I heard about this book through my church Sunday School class. It is GREAT! Offers wonderful and practical advice on how to parent to the "heart" of the child. Teaches parents the difference between a child "respecting" his parents and a child "honoring" her parents. I've read MANY parenting books but this one really opened my eyes up. Am I disciplining just to get the right response and just to "look" like a good parent? Or am I truly teaching my children the right behavior through the right attitude? Most helpful book. You won't be disappointed! PS - Our church also used teaching video made to accompany book (sold seperately)..it was *okay*...the book is MUCH more useful.)
on October 24, 2000
What a blessing this book has been for our family. Using the principles in this book, was difficult at first and went against my 'grain'...I decided to give it a shot and the difference in my child's attitude and behavior is a miracle. It is easy reading, great to pick up just about anywhere and anytime and I am on my second reading at this point! I highly recommend this book! I have shared the methods in this book with a friend and it is working there also!
Putting the 'honor' back in our family has been the key to our success, as mother and as a son. This is not just for Mom's and Dad's, but for single Mom's, single Dad's and grandparents to0!
on July 15, 2002
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Lots of practical and wise advice on "honor-based parenting." My wife and I are starting to implement these principles with our kids (ages 12-21) ... and they are working great. It has changed how we are talking to one another ... we now ask, "Is this an honoring way to treat each other." The book should probably be re-named to something like, "how to teach your children (and family) honor-based parenting."
on May 24, 2001
I read the other book by these authors (Eight Secrets to Highly Effective Parenting) and was greatly helped by it. I would say this book goes a step further in dealing with hearts--*mine* as well as my children's!!
I am only halfway through reading the book, and just what I've put into practice already is helping! Things aren't perfect (yet! : ) but are getting better already! And one of the biggest things that hit home is that it must start with *me*. I highly recommend this book (as well as their other one!)
on November 25, 2002
I found that many books can tell you what you should be doing but unless they have practical advice on how to do it then it doesn't help. This book does. It also was very helpful to have actual examples in each chapter.
on May 14, 2007
A breakthrough for familial relating, this book points to the heart directing our actions. What motivates us when interacting with one another? It should be honor: a desire to treat someone as special, to go above and beyond, all with a good attitude. Applying the principles in this book will dramatically affect any family and work to eliminate the bad attitudes in all of us.
on May 28, 2014
The concept I liked most about this book was honoring others. Rather than just teaching children to be good, teaching them to treat others well because they are valuable holds much more weight.
I felt the book was practical and worth reading.
on April 2, 2013
I received this book last month and let me tell you I was a bit skeptical. You see, I have a very active and strong-willed 3 year old son and we have our fair share of whining, complaining and bad attitudes that we deal with on a daily basis. I feel like most parenting books are written by people with compliant little girls who just think that if you do things a certain way you are sure to have the perfect child. I am so glad that I gave this book a chance. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller address the entire family attitude and how to change our hearts -not just our behavior- to show each other honor.

I love the focus on honoring each other... treating people as special, doing more than what's expected, and having a good attitude.

I love that the book addresses teaching honor to your kids, but also how we can honor them as parents. I am trying to be more careful in how I talk with my son... especially when he is in trouble. We have really taken time out recently to talk to him about how he is feeling when he is angry. He is starting to understand and communicate so much more on his own.

Another thing I really like about the book is that it has a "Take it a Step Further" section at the end of each chapter with discussion questions. I really want to get the book for a few of my family and friends and read it together. Perfect for a mall group or Bible Study.