Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Goodbyn Lunchbox, Red/Orange (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on November 9, 2009
I bought two of these for my twin pre-school boys. First, the good - they are rugged, they do not leak if they are closed properly, there is PLENTY of room inside, and the sticker decorations don't fall off in the dishwasher. The bad - the narrow bottle inside easily tips and spills, and the bottle inside has no confirmation that the snap lock top is actually closed. The worst of all, I'd say, is that the lid to the whole lunch box is so very hard to snap on, that my children can't do it themselves. My pre-school frowns on this, first because the school fosters independence, and second, because the teachers don't have time to deal with it. Even with a lesson from Mom on how to press the inner ribs first, the teachers cannot get the lid on completely. And, the school has a policy of sending home leftovers so that the parents know what the child ate / didn't eat. That means that I can only send dry and semi-dry food for lunch, because if they don't eat it all, it's not a disaster when it falls out of the Goodbyn onto their cubby, shoes, coats, etc. Presentation also suffers a bit when the box is filled flat, but carried upright. My kids lovely little sandwich triangles end up in a messy pile at the bottom of one of the compartments. Lastly, I would confirm that there is no way to keep hot foods hot, because the container has no insulation. I WOULD recommend this to an adult who wants to be "green" and take salads, fruit, bread, and yogurt to work. I would not recommend it for a young child, or even an older one who might be in too big a hurry to do a good job closing it.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2009
First, this lunch box is completely uninsulated. In other words everything will be room temperature at lunchtime. The compartments all must be sealed when you pack it, you must press around each seal. If you don't, air will seep into the compartments and liquid will seep out. It also might open accidentally. You get better at it over time but you really have to make sure the dang things are sealed. I'm not a bodybuilder but it would help me get the $%^& thing closed. Opening is okay but it is not that easy for a little kid. Each compartment is like a tiny tupperware lid that fits okay but not great. So when you finally get one closed, it somehow pops another open. It's frustrating but after awhile, you get the hang of it.
It's really just a big slab of plastic and it works as advertised. Just don't expect too much. Like anything advertised, you'll find things to like and things to dislike. We are returning this item to the manufacturer who has agreed to take it back and give a refund. That's a good thing.
I would wait until this item has been on the market for awhile and has been refined. There will also be some good imitators that will be available for a lower price. Overall, it's overpriced and it under-performs. It should be priced at about $12.00 max.
on March 22, 2010
My 5-year-old son was thrilled with this lunchbox, and immediately decorated it to his liking with the included stickers. That is about where the delight ended!

Even though we read carefully the included instructions on how to put the top on the lunchbox and practiced faithfully, he could never get it on himself, despite working really hard at it. I had a difficult time myself, and his teacher at school has never been able to get it on, despite my trying to teach her how. He carries the lunchbox out of school flat, with the lid just resting on the top because no one at school can get it back on after lunchtime.

After the lid (mistakenly) went through the dishwasher once (with NO heated dry, only wash), the lid is now impossible for even me to seal. It warped on one side.

We are disappointed in this purchase, and my son just gets sad every time he sees that cool lunchbox that he will never use again. He had been so excited about it.

I recommend that you do a little more research and purchase a different item.
on March 22, 2010

I recommend that you do a little more research and purchase a different item.
on October 3, 2009
I LOVE this lunch box. It makes lunch making fun and I LOVE not having to use baggies anymore! The lid has a separate enclosure for each section which prevents food from leaking into other sections. However, it does take a minute to snap all the sections closed. This lunch box is large and takes a lot of room in a backpack but it does fit fine if you don't have a lot of other stuff in the backpack. Or you can carry the box separate in your hand. My son had a lot of fun putting all the stickers on it - I've run it through the dishwasher a few times so far and the stickers are holding up well. By the way, I got the green one and it's VERY BRIGHT green not a subtle green like in the picture.
on March 24, 2011
We bought two of these for our primary school girls. Yes, the colors are great. Yes, they loved the stickers. But they have major problems that have resulted in these lunchboxes left irritatingly in the cupboard:

- They are, as many have mentioned, huge. Takes up almost all the space in their little backpacks.
- They also take up a huge amount of dishwasher real-estate, and are a pain to wash by hand.
- The included drink box is leaky and small, and compartment won't accept the excellent Rubbermaid drink-boxes or any other brands I could find. Stuck with juice-boxes = not green, poorer choices for beverages.
- And finally, do not believe the happy reviews saying they snap shut with a wink and any 3 year-old can do it - never mind the kids, my wife and I struggle with these things! You work your way around each bin and just when you think you have the last one locked down, *bink* the 1st one pops open again.

This last issue is really the killer for this product, as the whole premise hinges on the seal - if it doesn't seal, then it mixes, spills, or even loses it's contents. If you're lucky it happens after lunch with the leftovers, but we've even had it happen before and (as we weren't using bags inside) the lunch was lost.

Result: school says send your child with a different lunch box.

Recommendation: look elsewhere.
on October 25, 2010
Without insulation there is no point to this lunchbox. Freezer packs don't easily fit into it and my kids like foods that need to be kept cold. My husband bought two of these and the kids love the way they look so now we're stuck. They were really expensive as well. They are top rack dishwasher safe which means two would take the entire top rack. I use plastic bags for everything so I don't have to hand wash them. This would only be valuable if you had access to a refrigerator and had lots of dishwasher space.
on February 23, 2013
I love Goodbyn! This box is discontinued. When I was trying to purchase an insulated carrier for it, I had trouble finding something to fit. I contacted Goodbyn and they sent me the new style for free plus a couple of snack cups! This old style is awesome because is has more compartments and the lid seals completely around each one. The lid on our new one doesn't seal as tight...we have had some leaks with it.
on January 1, 2012
I bought this product to use it during picnics and for my pre-schooler to use at school for lunch. My little one was very excited to decorate the box and to carry it around and still does. It's a very sturdy and aesthetically pleasing box; however, when we put the box in action, we were very disappointed by its lack of functionality because:

1/ it's impossible for a pre-schooler to close all the seams and make sure the food is secure; it's hard for an adult to do the same because the lid is so rigid - I wish I had three hands to close it.
2/ it's hard for a pre-schooler to open the box by himself; the box needs to be solidly anchored first.
3/ the food shifts around when it is held by the handle; you have to cram it with food or use small containers, wrappers or plastic inside the box, especially if you use sauces, thus defeating the purpose of the compartments which is why I bought it in the first place
4/ the water container leaks slowly when on its side
5/ there is no good way to insulate the box

In the end, we use it at home for now to keep a variety snacks handy to eat and keep it horizontal. We used to do just that with a muffin tin.
on May 27, 2010
Any negative comments left by other reviewers about leaking bottle, lid that doesn't close can be IGNORED because these are quality control issues that have been worked out by the company. I contacted them prior to ordering a blue and an orange red one for my two school aged kids, and they were right. The bottle does not leak, the lid closes tight.

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for. An all-in-one box with bottle included. There is enough room to pack food to stuff an adult. The bottle is big enough the quench the thirst of a school kid. I pack a sandwhich, a banana, some cherry tomatoes, gold fish, water melon, or apple sauce container (with spoon). It doesn't keep things cool, but if you want to pack yoghurt or such, just freeze it first and pack it frozen. It will have unthawed by lunch, same with the drink. Just fill the bottles with ice, or freeze them and it works great. I love that it is so easy to clean and get ready for the next day.

The stickers are a nice perk. The kids love them, they are 'cool' enough to let bigger kids enjoy them too. As for the lid opening and closing - I had the kids open and close them ten times when I was looking to make sure they got it (they are 6 and 8). And they have had no problems. Younger kids may not have the finger dexterity to close it properly, however - and what I mean is that they may not be able to check for a good seal all the way around. The seal is not hard to accomplish, it is just one of those things that little kids don't always have a feel for.

Kid or adult: buy it, use it! BPA free and Made in the USA.