Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Stone Cherry Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Hardcover|Change

This is just a wonderful bedtime story for any young fan of big machinery. The rhyming is spot on, creating a fantastic read aloud flow. We get to say goodnight to each machine as it dozes off, creating just the right atmosphere for bedtime. The illustrations have that classic old fashioned feel, done in muted colors with somewhat fuzzed edges. Each character has an expressive face that only adds to the charm of a story that is sure to be a much requested bed time read. A note to any librarian or story group leader interested in doing a bedtime theme story time: this is a sure winner! Just the perfect length for preschoolers. A sleepy recommend.
11 comment|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2011
This book is written in such a way that my little ones feel right at home with those hard working construction-site machines. Each night they take turns pretending they are one of the beautifully illustrated charactors, and in the daytime they point out all the machines they see as we drive to and from our places to be. This book makes them want to play along and snuggle up at bedtime, which of course puts them in the mood to sleep all snug and close, just like the machines at the construction site. Six thumbs up from our family!

Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site
on May 19, 2011
My 3-year old son loves this book and wants to read it every night. The graphics are excellent and the rhymes are good too. The author uses just the right number of new words for a 2-3 year old. Italics are used on some parts of the text to allow the reader to shorten or expand the story.
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2011
My 2.5 year old is fascinated with all things construction related: excavators, backhoes, front end loads, bulldozers, etc. He wears a hard hat around the house, and when we're driving in the car and he spots a bulldozer he wants to stop the car and get out so he can check it out.

Needless to say, we've been buying more construction-themed items lately, and this book just popped up on Amazon the other day so I grabbed it. Great illustrations, fun story -- good pace for a 2-3 year old. Nice quality on the binding/pages, too.
on September 10, 2011
I bought this for my son who just turned two. He was excited by the construction vehicles and was "shooshing" and whispering along with the story on the first read through the book. The illustrations are perfect (my son could identify all of the objects) and the story is a great length for this age group (long enough to hold his interest but not so long that he wanted to turn the pages before I finished reading). I can tell this is going to quickly become one of his favorites and it's a book that I wont mind reading over and over.
review image
on September 12, 2012
One of life's mysteries--why is it that every toddler boy I know is crazy about construction machines? This book fits the bill perfectly--but (when you get tired of reading it for the 20th time) also check out WHAT CAN A CRANE PICK UP? by Rebecca Kai Dotlich with ADORABLE illustrations. For instance, the train isn't empty--it's full of animals including a Lyle the Crocodile lookalike--and the smiling face of the crane will make you feel happy (guaranteed). So terrific to have books like these to instill a love of rhyme in the youngest listeners!
on March 19, 2012
A wonderful book that is now part of our evening routine.

Illustration is beautiful, pages are stronger/more durable than typical children's books, and the story is lovely. Our little one loves to say goodnight to each construction vehicle, and just loves the details on each page (one vehicle has a teddy bear, another has a blanket). The repetition of "goodnight goodnight" for each vehicle is a very calming and child-friendly way to reinforced the night time message.

The pace, story, and rhythm of this story are all fantastic! Love this book!
on January 24, 2012
We love this book in our house. Currently, it is the very favorite among my three year old daughter's bedtime books. It features a good amount of predictability in the text built in- which is nice for preschoolers who like to chime in "Shhh...Goodnight, Crane Truck, goodnight." etc etc. My daughter can pretty much recite the whole book, something she takes great delight in. The drawings are also charming, especially details that are not in the text - the crane truck holds a teddy bear, for example. I would gladly give this book 5 stars. Except.

Here's my only problem with this book: it's not just for boys. I feel pretty strongly about this- hence the use of multiple exclamation marks in the title of my review. I mentioned above I have a daughter. She's three. She loves construction vehicles, adores watching them work in real life, and likes to read about them too. No one ever told her that construction is just for boys. Nor do I believe that anyone *should* tell her this! And so my husband and I were both quite disappointed that every single one of the construction vehicles in this book - a crane truck, a dump truck, a cement mixer, an excavator, and a bulldozer - is gendered as male. There seems no logical reason for this, other than it is widely believed that only boys like construction stuff and that the audience for this book is therefore only boys and boys can only relate to boy characters. Seems to me there is a failure at all these steps - some girls (and some boys!) like construction trucks, the audience for this book is not limited therefore to boys, and moreover, boys can relate to girl characters just as easily as anyone else, if they are allowed and encouraged to do so. I believe that including gendered girl characters in amongst the construction vehicles in this book would have done so much- for both girl and boy "readers" - it would teach that boys and girls can be rough and tough and work hard. Surely that's a lesson most of us can get behind? If we, as a society, continue to want more equality for men and women in all arenas, we have to teach both boys and girls that they can be equal (different, yes, but that they deserve equal treatment and to be interested in whatever it is they want to be interested in despite cultural connotations of boy and girl things). I suppose if you don't agree with that, this criticism won't be a problem for you.

As for our family, we continue to read the book. But after reading it the first time and discovering the lack of female characters, I sat down with our daughter and asked her which of the vehicles were boys and which were girls. She decided that the excavator and the bulldozer are girls, the others boys. So now we switch the genders for those vehicles as we read along. But honestly? There are a lot of pronouns in the text and so it takes a fair amount of work. Which, frankly, is annoying and reminds me each time I read it how unfair it is that we have to do so. My daughter won't be taking away the message from this book that construction vehicles and books about them are just for boys. But only a fair amount a work from her parents prevents this message.
2727 comments|185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2015
Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site is an excellent book. It comes with a cover although the one I received was damaged. I wanted to contact seller, but there was no option under my account to do so for this particular item. I wouldn't have wanted to give it as a gift in this condition.
review image
on October 13, 2013
Got this book thinking my son would love it because he loves visiting mommy's job sites and watching the machines working. It has cute drawings and rhyming text about the machines on a construction site shutting down for the night. But, I don't understand why not one woman works on this construction site. Even Mike Mulligan had Mary Anne way back in the 1930s when it was more unlikely there would be a woman on a construction site! Seems like an oversight in an otherwise nice book.
33 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse