1,415 Reviews
 (1,171)

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you have a child to read this to, you will understand!
Published on December 22, 1999 by Suzanne Amara

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the full book and bad graphics
I thought I was buying the whole book in cloth format, as I had purchased one like that before. This cloth edition has only a few of the pages represented. Also, the coloring is waaaaay off. The "red balloon" is bright orange. It would confuse the heck out of a child learning colors.
Published 14 months ago by KYLE GREGORY

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you have a child to read this to, you will understand!, December 22, 1999
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Library Binding)
Until I started reading to my older son, I didn't really understand what was this book's unique hold on people was. However, from my first reading to him, I did! There must be something magical about this book and the way children love it. It's very comforting to them, with the easy to memorize lines and the gentle arrival in the great green room of nighttime. However, it's also full of little details for them to notice and delight in--the hidden mouse, the dollhouse with lights on, the pictures on the wall. It's the perfect book to start kids "reading" themselves---leave out the crucial word in a line and wait for them to say it---"a bowlful of...." "MUSH!", they scream with delight! And they all love the "Goodnight Nobody" page best---I think it really gets kids thinking in a philosophical way---How can you say Goodnight to Nobody? This book is a true, true gem and belongs in every library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for a reason, May 3, 2001
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
I got this book (in the board version) for a shower gift for my now 2-year-old daughter. I didn't remember reading this book as a child and at first it seemed a little odd -- the pictures weren't tremendously appealing and the rhyme scheme seemed strange. I have, however, been converted. After reading the book several times to my newborn daughter, I noticed how soothing it was to her. She seemed to be able to see the pictures and, as she got older, would reach out to touch elements in each. We read it every night for months, because it seemed to set a good tone for bedtime. After learning a little more about how children think, I began to understand what made it so appealing -- the ritual of saying good night to familiar objects helped reassure her when she had to say good night to her mom and dad, which can be scary for tiny kids.
Now, of course, she's a big girl and says it's a "baby book". However, it's still by her bed and I've overheard her "reading" it to herself or to her baby brother many times. It's an excellent choice for a baby you love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this Book to Create Happy Memories and Pleasant Sleep, November 6, 1999
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This is a book that I read every night to my children. For years, I could not quite put my finger on its appeal. Finally, it clicked one day. There is a cadence to the story that is like a mediation mantra, quietly and gently calming you and your child down. In addition, the book's text and illustrations are matched in away that it is natural to point out the words and pictures to your child, and for them to do the same as they grow older. This means that you are also starting to teach reading in natural, relaxed way. In addition, we all tend to see the glass as half empty rather than as half full. Goodnight Moon encourages a sense of gratitude for whatever is around us. That is a profound and wonderful lesson for everyone to have. Finally, children are fascinated by how another child's room might look. So you also help them to understand the differences among families. How many other books do you know that accomplish so much? Best of all, you and your children (and grandchildren, perhaps) will have wonderful memories to share. That's fantastic! Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars This Goodnight Moon Bunny is our daughter's favorite Lovey, January 10, 2007
Elizabeth A. Anderson (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
We received this book/plush bunny set as a gift. We love the Goodnight Moon story, and read it almost every night. Our 8 month old daughter, while she thinks the board book is delicious, has adopted the 5" Bunny as her very favorite Lovey, and won't go to sleep without him. He is just the right size for an infant. He has a grey faux-fur head and "hands", and wears blue-striped pajamas with textured feet. His eyes are the bead-type, rather than embroidered, but they are very well attached. The ears are long enough to get into her mouth for serious sucking, and the arms are well-stuffed, making for good gnawing. His body is stuffed with the microbeads, and my only complaint (thus 4 stars, not 5) is that he is labelled "surface wash only". I have, due to the daily baby-spit, given him many baths, and he seems to dry out just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a terrific book, the whole family loves it., November 13, 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book as a gift for my sixteen month old and hefell in love with it. I also have a five year old that really enjoysit too. When they go to the book shelf they always bring this one back first,and we have to read it two or three times before they go get another book. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good children's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect bedtime book, July 22, 2000
Robert James (Culver City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
At the risk of sounding redundant, "Goodnight Moon" succeeds in entrancing every toddler (and every toddler's parent) who sees and hears it. Unlike many other books suitable for children at an early linguistic level, "Goodnight Moon" manages to capture both adult and child in its charms. The repetitive structure never bores, as it constantly surprises with its rhymes and subjects (I still laugh at the blank page where it goes "Goodnight nobody"). My daughter is now three, and she isn't quite as excited by the book as she was when she started hearing it at one, and when she insisted on it every night when she was two, but she still likes to take it out every once in awhile. I still love "Goodnight Moon," however, and look forward to reading it to my next child, and to my grandchildren. I only wish my mother had known about this book when I was a child!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Moon is a MUST for any parent..., September 4, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Paperback)
This book and I met when I was a child...that's a long time ago , and now that I have 3 children of my own , ages 9 , 5 & 2 years , I made sure they each had their own copy. Hardcover is best , because it lasts...I still have my childhood hardcover copy...talk about growing up together! Although my 2 older kids have sort of "outgrown" their copies , my 2 year old loves reading hers. She wants to "read together" all the time , as she calls it , and she loves to search for the little mouse on all the colored pages! Her older brother and sister enjoyed doing that , and , yes , so did I! It's great for spending quiet time before going to sleep , or just anytime! A timeless classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Moon CD--a perfect companion, April 27, 2008
Goodnight Moon was a part of my prekindergarten class and is now a part of my 9 month old son's bedtime routine. The CD includes a reading of the story and, in my opinion the best part, the story sung as a lullaby. The lullaby is soft, calm and beautiful with guitar adding to the soothing sound. As a teacher, I used this song to transition to our quiet time and as a mother I play this lullaby while feeding my son his oatmeal bedtime snack. We then say good night to several items in his room before going to sleep. The CD is not over the top or cooky, like many children's songs. It is simply a beautiful lyrical version of one of the best bedtime stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 Childrens Book, September 22, 2005
Dan McKinnon (Tewksbury, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Goodnight Moon (Board book)
This is my daughter's favorite book!! It's so simple, so touching, so sweet. When you read this book to yourself you will probably wonder what the big deal is, but when you have a child on your lap and you don't rush through the book but you take your time and point to the pictures as you read, you will be taken into another world. 'Goodnight Moon' just goes to show that a book doesn't need to be long to be good, and this book isn't just good, it's wonderful!!

Goodnight Stars

Goodnight Air

Goodnight Noises Everywhere

:) :) :) :) :)

I get a smile on my face just reading to myself as I think how much my little girl loves this classic tale.

***** HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the full book and bad graphics, May 16, 2013

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (Board book - January 23, 2007)
$8.99 $8.09