5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and enchanting
When I stumbled across Goodnight Songs by Margaret Wise Brown in a bookstore to say I was surprised would be a gross understatement. As a retired librarian I’ve lost my information pipeline about what is being published and when and have to rely on visits to bookstores to view the available crop.

Ms Brown died the year before I was born but I can still...
Published 8 months ago by Robert Busko

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I enjoyed the illustrations very much although the songs that were written work OK.
Published 1 day ago by Karen Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and enchanting, March 7, 2014
This review is from: Goodnight Songs: Illustrated by Twelve Award-Winning Picture Book Artists (Hardcover)

Ms Brown died the year before I was born but I can still remember my mother reading Goodnight Moon to me when I was small and my brother after me.

Goodnight Songs is made up of a treasure trove of unpublished poems by Margaret Wise Brown that have now been illustrated by some of the best illustrators currently working and set to music. Artists like Jonathan Bean, Carin Berger, Renata Liwska, Christopher Silas Neal, Sophie Blackall, Dan Yaccarino, Melissa Sweet, Isabel Roxas, Sean Qualls, Zachariah O’Hora, Linda Bleck, and Eric Puybaret each designed artwork. The accompanying CD features lyrics put to music and performed by Emily Gary and Tom Proutt.

My favorite three are When I Close My Eyes at Night; When the Man in the Moon Was a Little Boy; and Sounds in the Night.

The story behind the discovery of this material and how it all made it’s way to the bookstores is interesting in itself. It took many years for these songs to be published and the details to be worked out. The completed product is enchanting and sure to please.

It’s amazing that Margaret Wise Brown will reach a completely new generation of children with material that was written before their parents and even their grandparents were born.

I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a true treasure!, March 20, 2014
What a treasure found in a trunk in a barn! The poems, illustrations, and the CD in this book are all beautiful. I read this to my grandchildren, ages seven and four, before bed and then let them listen to the CD while they were going to sleep. The next evening they asked if they could again read the book and listen to the CD. "That helped me sleep, Nana," the four-year-old said. "Goodnight Songs" will become a tradition at Nana's house!

I heard about this book on NPR; thanks, NPR, for wonderful information you share with us. Thanks, Amazon, for selling; this hardback book with CD is a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Baby Gift, March 11, 2014
Pair this collection of goodnight songs by Margaret Wise Brown with a
copy of her famous "Goodnight Moon," and you'll be the fav guest at the
baby shower! The poems, songs and illustrations are lovely. Every
child raised on these will be the richer for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars stellar cd and a wonderful all-round project, March 28, 2014
This book of wonderfully illustrated poems is top-shelf, indeed, but I’m equally floored by the CD of songs that accompanies it. I’ve reviewed albums in the past, and I recall reviewing several children’s albums that were nominated for Grammys. “Goodnight Songs” is far better than any of those. Tom Proutt and Emily Gary have taken Margaret Wise Brown’s poems to new heights, turning them into songs imbued with warmth and a sense of wonder.

The refreshing thing here is that Proutt and Gary have made a thoroughly accessible children’s album that doesn’t talk down to its audience. In fact, the songs are smart enough that they’ll appeal to adults as well. How often can you say that about a children’s album? That’s the beauty of this record: it’s not just for children, it’s for the whole family. And it’s darn good.

Listen to “Sounds in the Night” and you’ll hear immediately what I’m talking about. You’ll also probably recognize the Brian Wilson influence on the vocals and melody line. But “Sounds in the Night” stands on its own--a lullaby with a subtly mysterious air about it. Your kids probably won’t recognize the influence of REM on the chord progression of “LIttle Donkey Close Your Eyes,” but you will, and you’ll appreciate the song even more because of it. Or maybe it’s because of Andy Thacker, whose virtuoso mandolin-playing runs through the album.

The key to the record’s effectiveness is the combination of Proutt’s deft musical instincts and Gary’s appropriately sweet and motherly vocals.  They handle this material flawlessly.  “Goodnight Songs” is intelligent, evocative stuff.  The music industry has dumbed down children’s music for several decades now, to the point that they’ve practically killed what once was a vital art form.  But “Goodnight Songs” revitalizes the genre and provides a direction for the future.  This is what children’s music can be.  And what it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Margaret Wise Brown put to music? What could be better!, March 13, 2014
Lisa Crissey (Charlottesville, VA. United States) - See all my reviews
Many parents know "Goodnight Moon" by heart after reading it to their children over and over. Now, previously unknown Margaret Wise Brown's lyrics have been put to music and the results couldn't be better. While my own children are grown, I felt compelled to buy this anyway -- and I wish the CD had been around to play those many nights when I paced with a baby on my shoulder.
The illustrations are similarly lovely, so whether your child is ready to snuggle up and look at the delightful illustrations, or listen to the enchanting songs, this book is for you.
This will now be my go-to gift for baby showers and young mothers whose own days of pacing the floors are just beginning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to any childs library, March 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great addition to any library. I am so glad that it comes with a CD with the music as it just sets the book above the rest. Each song/poem have been illustrated by a different person and so you therefore get very different pictures to look at. All are bright and are enchanting. I think this is a great book and would look to giving it as a baby shower gift along with some other Margret Wise Brown books to make a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 12, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It will probably take awhile to figure out just how this book/cd package will fit into your bedtime routine. Will you just listen to the music? Maybe read a new poem each night? How about just paging through the illustrations, pointing out all of the wondrous things to be seen as the music plays in the background? No matter what you decide, this will be an excellent choice for any young person's bedtime collection. The twelve poems are vintage Margaret Wise Brown, and they take on new dimensions when combined with beautiful bedtime melodies.

The illustrations are provided by some of the biggest names in the business, each lending their own distinctive style to this work. Perhaps my favorite is Sleep Like a Rabbit. The illustration captures the song's sense of whimsy and makes me sleepy just to look at it! I'm all ready to tuck in my paws right along with the rabbit, bear and girl. Whether it's the beautiful Mouse's Prayer or the more exotic Mambian Melody, this collection provides plenty of food for the imagination and calm for the soul.

A 12 song CD is included with this book, which also features information about each of the artists and a note from the musicians. Tom Proutt and Emily Gary do an excellent job with each selection, using their unique style to create memorable songs that can be enjoyed by the entire family.

5.0 out of 5 stars great CD, March 15, 2014
cute songs. fun to listen to before bed. great for all ages--ours is 5 years and loves it. songs a little complicated and hard to learn for 5, but still fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sing Your Kids to Sleep, May 5, 2014
If you are looking for a way to engage your kids as well as yourself around the bedtime ritual, try this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and CD!, May 23, 2014
ProfessorMom (South Pasadena, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm always looking for new songs to sing to my son and this book and CD gave me several new ones to add to my repertoire. I love the illustrations in the book and my son likes to look at them as I sing along while he's falling asleep. The music is catchy but calming. The lyrics are a bit silly but I like the playful nature of them.

Goodnight Songs: Illustrated by Twelve Award-Winning Picture Book Artists
Goodnight Songs: Illustrated by Twelve Award-Winning Picture Book Artists by Margaret Wise Brown (Hardcover - March 4, 2014)
$17.95 $11.35