4.0 out of 5 stars Third Edition is Good But Not Great

3.0 out of 5 stars analtyics
Published on March 23, 2010 by Dinah R. Berch

4.0 out of 5 stars Third Edition is Good But Not Great, February 11, 2010
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
New technologies like Google Analytics change so fast. I purchased the third edition of this book from among a group of three or four books on this subject because it was the newest release. A second consideration, for me, was that I wanted a book specific to Google Analytics rather than a book focused on the larger subject of Web analytics. I wanted a book that would point me at the important features of this tool without reading an extra 300 pages of analytics theory.

This book delivers as a quick start guide and reference to Google Analytics, but it also has some minor flawed. The coverage of advanced applications of Google Analytics is good. It presents clear examples of how to use all the features of Analytics, and puts all those features in a larger context. The book is both a blueprint for setting up your site analytics, and a reference you can revisit later. That larger context of how to set up your first analytics program is what makes this book worth buying. There are plenty of topics on the Web about using Google Analytics, but you don't get a good guide to the big picture of how to set up your analytics program from a bunch of disparate topics scattered around the Internet.

This new edition has some flaws. Especially in the first third of the book, some topics aren't very well written. For example, in the introductory section of the book, where they compare Google Analytics to log file analyzers, some of what is said seems to be wrong, and the information on setting up your tracking code is a bit outdated. Minor problems but worse than what I would expect in a published book.

Bottom line, it serves the purpose of an introduction and guide to Google Analytics. I'm using it.

3.0 out of 5 stars analtyics, March 23, 2010
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I purchased this book because I manage the analytics account for my company and really wanted some helpful assistance for using the more complex functions of analytics - like event tracking and custom reports. Unfortunately, this book assumes a higher level of knowledge of javascript and web-lingo than I currently have, and just doesn't break things down as much as I was hoping.

3.0 out of 5 stars Google analytics back to back., October 21, 2010
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
A good book that explains Google Analytics in a really good way.

Two things i have against the book:
1- Doesn't really say much about web metrics.
2- Google Analytics is a product that move very fast and I don't think there is a book that can handle that.

My advice: read the book but keep your self busy with the tool it self for better understanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, November 1, 2013
Thought out well. I am a web hobbyist who likes to get the math right before putting more time into web design. Now time to go back over each chapter and implement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Book for Google Analytics, August 26, 2013
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
It took me a long to read the full book and apply it for my business. And I came to conclusion that its really great book but there are too much of graphs, comparisons and other stuff which makes it difficult to understand for beginners. Overall its a great book for SEO guys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intro to analytics, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
I enjoyed and learned a lot from this book. But it needs to be updated to the latest google analytics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as updated, but lays a solid foundation, April 3, 2013
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
Was published in 2010 and is missing information on new features, but this book helped me pass the Google Analytics IQ test. I recommend buying if you're looking to implement GA on your site or if you're an internet marketer.

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy a cave man can do it, January 20, 2012
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
This book was an easy read. I consider myself to know enough to be dangerous before I read this book. I knew how to go around in the analytics but nothing special. I found this book extremely helpful and the way it was written was easy to follow. The authors used words that anyone would be able to understand. I find that books that talk about anything internet usually use buzz words and verbiage that is sometimes hard to understand, this book was the exact opposite.

It also had great illustrations so you could follow along on your computer and see what you were doing was actually right.

Definitely recommend to anyone at anybody at any level as I got a ton of knowledge from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, January 26, 2015
This review is from: Google Analytics, 3rd Edition (Paperback)
Product as described, timely shipping. Thank you

Google Analytics, 3rd Edition
Google Analytics, 3rd Edition by Jerri L. Ledford (Paperback - December 9, 2009)
$34.99 $24.15