5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book to Learn the Ropes
Full Disclosure first: I was the tech editor for the book.

The authors have done a great job of introducing some of the best tools that Google has made available to the public for FREE. I will admit that I thought there was no way you could pull me away from my Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) but I'm a convert now.

The...
Published on May 3, 2008 by J. Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Published date
I should have looked more carefully before buying. Published in 2008 it is a bit out of date. I was hoping for more information relating to tablets and Android ones in particular.
Published 11 months ago by Peter C

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book to Learn the Ropes, May 3, 2008
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
Full Disclosure first: I was the tech editor for the book.

The books covers:

* Gmail - Google's email application and one that I'm 100% switched over to now.
* Documents - the word document application that I'm using right now to collaborate on a writing project with 2 other authors.
* Google Spreadsheets - the spreadsheet application which, no surprise, gives Microsoft Excel a run for its money
* Google Presentations - a slideshow application similar to PowerPoint
* Google Page Creator - a webpage design tool
* Calendar - a full-fledged online calendar that you can share with others or keep private
* More - coverage of Chat, Administering your Google Apps, manipulating files, etc.

For me, I use Google Gmail, Calendar, and Spreadsheets exclusively. I still need Word occasionally, but with the ability to import and export to and from Google Documents, I really haven't had any major issues yet with moving back and forth.

One caveat - Google Apps is CONSTANTLY being updated; the Google Apps team of developers seems to release updates and new features almost weekly or monthly, so use the book as an introduction but don't be surprised if there are undocumented features you come across that aren't covered in the book - probably not the author's fault as they can't predict every new feature.

Recommendation - Try out Gmail and Calendar first... then Documents, Spreadsheets, and Presentations. Once you're comfortable using Gmail and Calendar, you'll start to understand how nice it is to have all your data available on any Internet-connected PC. I'm actually able to leave my laptop home when I visit family because I can use their PC to access my email, calendar, and most of my work documents.

Favorite Feature: The ability to text-message my Google Calendar with an appointment and the Calendar auto-updates. PLUS I've configured it to text me two reminders: 1 text message a week before the event, and 1 text message the day before. All covered in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Book!!!!, June 12, 2008
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
I knew nothing about google applications before I read this book and now I learned everything. The book is very well written, detailed and covers all the things you need to know about Google.

The book is a great way to quickly get started with the google applications as opposed to wasting time trying to learn everything by experience.

I highly recommend this book to everyone who is interested in using Google Applications.

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, November 11, 2010
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
This is a good starting place for learning about Google Apps.

It explained to me how to set-up a calendar. I previously used Outlook.

So for my situation I'm pleased.

Amazon Shipping /....Excellent as always !

3.0 out of 5 stars Published date, August 3, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning the google stuff, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
Got me straightened out and lined up on some useful apps. Stuff I never new existed.
Got me on the right path.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, March 16, 2013
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
This book has been incredible in getting me organized. I've been using some of the google apps, but not to their full potential. My secretary looked at it and is ordering her own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Google Apps For Dummies, June 8, 2011
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
My Dad was interested in learning more about Picasa, Google's free computer ap for photo handling. This book did answer some of his questions, but not all of them. Still, some answers is a lot better than none.

3.0 out of 5 stars Google Apps for Dummies, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this to help me with all the free apps Google offers. I have only been looking for info on e-mails and attachments and haven't found an answer yet, but still have some reading to do.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Programming Book, April 23, 2014
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
Maybe a good overview of what Google Apps is but don't purchase this book as a reference/tutorial if your goal is to create Google Apps.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for starters, December 18, 2013
Rob (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Google Apps For Dummies (Paperback)
it is a good book for starters and i think it is essential reading for those who want the basics

Google Apps For Dummies
Google Apps For Dummies by Ryan Teeter (Paperback - April 28, 2008)
$24.99 $18.38