Published on December 25, 2011 by Chris Guillebeau

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't think so
With all due respect, I think I could write something better than this in about 4 weeks.

A sample sentence: "The reason I think that Google+ is the next big thing has less to do with the previous information and much more to do with speculating on where things might go."

Published on March 30, 2012 by THOMAS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's more than just circles: this book tells you how to reach people, December 25, 2011
Chris Guillebeau (Portland, Oregon and the World) - See all my reviews
I downloaded Google+ for Business on Christmas Day and read it on a long flight from Miami to Los Angeles. My initial motivation for picking it up wasn't so much to learn about Google+... I just enjoy reading Chris's blog and would happily pay for much of his free content. When I saw he had a new book out, I didn't have to think much about making a small purchase to support him.

Nevertheless, my motivations weren't entirely altruistic: I've been using Google+ every day, and figured if I could learn even one thing from the book, it would be well worth the minor investment of time and money.

Chris widely acknowledges the challenge of writing a traditionally published book about a rapidly changing software platform. With that in mind, he spends at least as much time explaining the "why" behind sharing content and cultivating a community. I especially liked a section on curation ("You are a magazine publisher") and the general theme of curiosity and gratitude that runs through the book. Want to be a rockstar on Google+? Be friendly and be helpful. Chris tells you how to do it.

I don't think you should buy this book to learn how to put people in circles, although Chris certainly covers the basics for those who are truly new to Google+. Instead, you should buy this book to learn more about how people can connect and collaborate using new media. If you like Chris Brogan, if you enjoyed Trust Agents, or if you want to learn about a fun new platform, get the book. It's a short read that can make a big difference in your work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book about social media that tells you HOW to do it, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything (Paperback)
If you've picked up a book in the past about social media, hoping to learn how to use it in your business, you were probably disappointed. Most of them are fine books, but they are more about WHY than HOW, and so you finish them excited about the possibilities but with only vague ideas about what to do. It's frustrating.

Google+ for Business is the opposite of that.

I read it from cover to cover over the course of two days, and what impressed me about it is how actionable it is. Chris doesn't just give you general principles and strategies. He tells you exactly what to do.

For instance, he breaks down different "Work Days" for different types of people, such as restaurant owners, authors, real estate agents, salespeople, and so on, and then he gives a breakdown of exactly what they should be doing every day and why. If you're struggling to visualize exactly how Google+ fits into your marketing strategy, this gives you a concrete picture.

Also, the book is loaded with examples. Instead of just talking about how to set up your profile, Chris gives you examples of profiles he considers well done. Instead of just telling you how to set up your Circles, Chris tells you how he set up his circles. Instead of just handing you a general marketing strategy, he outlines how several real-life businesses, including a car dealer, are using it to make sales.

In a world where everything is virtual, it's refreshingly real. No, you're probably not going to learn a lot if you're already an expert on social media, but if you're a beginner looking for a guide to help you get started, this is a good book to pick up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tactical, practical social media marketing advice from a guy who knows what he's talking about,, January 18, 2012
Scott Fox, ClickMillionairescom (Los Angeles, California, USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 3:33 Mins

Google+ is the latest social network to threaten to change the world. In fact, the sub-title of Chris Brogan's new book is "How Google's Social Network Changes Everything".

That's going a bit far but I'm no stranger to grand book titles myself, and I think that Chris is on the right track: Google+ is a game-changer, at least for social media marketers.

I like this book a lot and I recommend it to you if you are interested in learning more about Google+. It's helpful strategically to understand the reasons why Chris and I both think Google+ is a "really big deal" and because it's full of useful advice for using the social network for business effectively.

Here's what I like about Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything:

- Chris Brogan writes just like he talks. This is a good thing because in person Chris is friendly, casual, and informative. That makes the book easy and quick to read.

- He makes a great case for why Google+ is important, even if it's not yet anywhere close to the size of Facebook. (Hint: It's part of Google!)

- The book emphasizes what you can do and what you should do - not just theory. This includes tips on how to put your About page to good use with an interesting bio, contact info and even a call to action, for example.

- My favorite parts are the 6 profiles of how real people use Google+ in their daily work, plus 6 more typical personas that show how you might arrange your own personal workflow to include successful Google+ brand-building.

The biggest surprise about the book is how short it is. I was surprised when I opened the envelope at how skinny is (at least compared to my books). With this book's focus on just one subject, however, its 160 pages are just about right for quickly communicating the key points needed.

My verdict: Tactical, practical social media marketing advice from a guy who knows what he's talking about. Especially if you are new to Google+ or still wondering how or if you should get involved, I recommend Google+ for Business.

Changing everything?? Not sure yet but maybe...

5.0 out of 5 stars People Do Business With People They Like, January 2, 2012
William Anderson (Upper West Side, NY) - See all my reviews
That's the underlying theme of this book, and it's a strong theme. Whether it applies to Google+ or any other online / offline network, it's important to keep this in mind.

I've been "on" Google+ shortly after it was announced, but haven't really "used" Google+ as I was confused on what value it would provide me and my community. I already have a blog, a Twitter account, and I'm active in local events - how would this new medium help and not get in the way?

The book does a great job of balancing between focusing on features, examples, and how-tos. A few pieces that stick out for me:

+ Think about your Google+ strategy as if it were a magazine - Really good tip and visual way to plan your use around Google+
+ Get serious about your profile - It's everywhere, and everyone sees it. Update it, and make it actionable for anyone that lands on it
+ Be the top commenter on your content - I think this is obvious but in a new medium like Google+, it's super important to build these relationships from the start

I picked this up on Sunday and was done reading it on Monday, with a few stops in between to make changes to my own profile and community.

Looking forward to using Google+ even more - Thanks Chris!

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't think so, March 30, 2012
THOMAS (Malvern, Australia) - See all my reviews

That's pretty typical. You can just hear the rattle of the laptop's keys as the author races to complete this thing. This is one of those books that is trying to get out there ahead of the competition. Unfortunately, it ends up being so basic and unspecific that most of what it has to say is poorly expressed and not really useful.

One reason I bought this was that it was backed by a second-tier technical book publisher. Apparently, Que can't really be trusted all that much either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Club 52 - Paul's (Short) Review Of Google Plus For Business (by Chris Brogan), January 27, 2012
Paul Colligan (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
Club 52 - Paul's (Short) Review Of Google Plus For Business (by Chris Brogan)

Full disclosure - I consider Chris Brogran a friend. We've also shared the stage a few times together - nothing of which benefited me (directly) financially. If that colors your view of this review, so be it. The friendship is worth more anything lost by someone not reading this review accordingly.

I have to start this review by dealing with the elephant in the room: The "debate" on the position and power of Google+ in today's (and future) Internet landscape is a debate for another place. This is a review of a book that tells you how to work with Google Plus - and that's the angle that I'll take here.

I start with saying I'm often very skeptical about any book about any new technology. Having written a few tech books myself, I know well the world of technical writers hired to quickly produce a tome on a technology that they care about only because it writes the paycheck. This is not the case here.

Chris is passionate about Google+ you can tell that from the very beginning. Sure, there might be an element of "shiny new object" here but Chris takes the time to explore the best use of said object. I'm fine with that.

The weakest part it the beginning. He starts the book with some observations about Google+ that are interesting - but a bit skewed based on his position in this space. The fact that Google+ brings more traffic to his site than anything else is probably more an issue of focus than anything else. His observations on where Google+ fits into the grand scheme of the social networking are, by the very nature of when this book was written, about 50% hopeful thinking and 50% attempted future telling. It will be fun in a few years to quote a few of these back to Chris and see what he says.

Cool thing is, both Google Plus and Chris will be around in a few years - so this conversation will happen.

When I say "weakest," it really is the nature of getting a book out like this so early. Heck, the original release date for this thing was well before Google even allowed businesses on Google+.

But, the rest of the book is surprisingly strong. Chris has grabbed a lot more from Google+ than I thought would be possible. Let me share a few of my favorite observations and insights:

The concept of "Outbound" and "Inbound" Circles is something I hadn't heard before this book. It's the first real management tip for the tremendous amount of data that comes through this social network. It changed the way I've organized my circles and if you're serious about this, it will have the same effect on you.

The "Warm Sell" concept is one of the best "how money is really made in social media" explanations I've ever read. Worth the price of the book alone.

The "How Businesses Might Use These Pages" bit will become, I believe, the very checklist that a lot of these company types will use. Chris, may I suggest a Kindle Single with more of these?

The best tools requires some good training to get the full use from them. Google+, the tool, has a great user manual. Be you one of those companies who needs a checklist or be you more the "how does it fit into the grand scheme of things" kinda guy or gal, this is the (Google+) book for you.

Bonus. Realizing the timing of this book, Chris has a special page at his site for all customers to get updates on Google+ that he just couldn't fit into the printing/publishing deadline - and there should be plenty. At the time I wrote this there was no new content as this special page but I expect Chris will be filling it soon.

One of my new years declarations was that I'd read a book every week. Join me on this journey? [...]

Non - affiliate link to the book - [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Understandable and Comprehensive How To for Google+, January 3, 2012
While I consider myself fluent in social media platforms, I was really struggling with Google+. I set up Google Alerts for information on Google+, bought Google+ for Dummies, searched for Google+ tutorials, and while a few pieces of the puzzle fell into place, I was still frustrated.

I was thrilled to see that Chris Brogan had written Google+ for Business, How Google's Social Network Changes Everything - and I ordered it immediately. It answered all of my questions and gave me a sound understanding of where Google+ would fit in my overall online presence. It is a nice blend of overarching strategy and granular function descriptions.

I found Chapter 5 on Circles and Chapter 6 on Posting in the Stream particularly helpful. I've only had the book for a week and it's already dog-eared and full of highlighted passages. I've already put about a half a dozen suggestions from the book into practice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Important Lessons Far Beyond How to Use Google+, May 8, 2012
Don't think "Google+ for Business" is a good book because it teaches you how to use G+, although it does. And don't think it's good because it has dozens of useful case studies, though it does that too. No, know that Chris Brogan's latest work is good because it teaches you an entirely new skill: how to strategically embrace, experiment and discover value in the first social network to debut in the post-Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter age. G+ won't be the first major new network to come knocking on company's busy and well-oiled social media operation. So knowing how to answer the three questions below is pretty darn useful:

-How do I use a tool strategically when its value is unknown, unmeasured and unpredictable?
-How do I fit this channel into to my ecosystem when I'm already so busy?
-My business goals are clear (the usual: grow revenues and margins, lower cost of recruitment, etc.), but what should my objectives for this network be? Do I want lots of followers? Just the perfect few?

Beyond the strategic value of the first 11 chapters, chapter 12, titled "Setting up Your Business Page" is a solid primer on how to get your company (or clients) rolling on Google+. Definitely worth the read, though better as an e-book than print because you'll want to highlight and later easily find the case studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars The strategy will stand the test of time, January 2, 2012
I bought Chris Brogan's book at the end of December, shortly after it came out. As is always the case with technology, some of the how-to's are already obsolete. I didn't buy it necessarily for the how-to, however, I bought it to read about Chris's strategy on this new social network.

While many people are saying "Another social network?", Chris has invested the time to figure out how Google+ is and will differ from Facebook and Twitter.

A fast read, I found Google+ for Business interesting from a strategy standpoint. From creating, commenting, and sharing, Chris covers how Google+ could revolutionize the way you do business. A must read for any social media manager or business owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars I put this on my 'top shelf' but I can still reach it every single year, January 18, 2014
Brogan brings us up a knotch. His content is solid but the packaging is where you can really hear the valuable lessons. His tone really resonated with me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything
Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything by Chris Brogan (Paperback - December 29, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01