Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

Price:$499.99+ Free shipping

on November 27, 2013
This phone is a great upgrade... Great package, great price. Better value to buy directly from Google.
Top Concern prior to buying this phone... I was worried about the battery comparing the N5 to its temolate G2. Battery has lasted me at least 16hrs every day (4hrs off full charge today and I at 93%).
It's got the specs. Literally everything is so smooth. When I intend on doing something, the phone handles it perfect. When I don't, the phone doesn't surpirse me. KitKat and this device is paired wonderfully.
Some concerns for others have been camera, but in my usage camera has been more than sufficient. The stock GUI is a little wonky, but if I care about my photos, I'll take my DSLR. If you want a phone for the camera, grab an HTC One.
Screen is beautiful. I didn't want a huge phone - the minimal bezels on the sides and on-screen buttons make this phone very easy to hold, even with a 5" screen.
It's soft in the hand. And I really like the subtlety of ceramic volume rocker and power button.
In DFW you pretty much have your choice of good-to-great service anywhere. Combining no contract service, my limited usage of minutes, and this phone makes it a no brainer value to me.
on November 22, 2013
Let me just say this up front. I don't like the fact that Sprint and all the other carriers are charging 450$ for a phone that Google on Google Play is charging 350$. This is another way for these cell phone companies to keep the consumer under their thumb. But, with that being said, the key word for me "price," and for the price I really do like the Nexus 5, although I do have a few complaints about it. Let me begin by saying that the white version of this phone and the black version are surprisingly distinct from each other. I had believed that the white and the black version were the same exact phone just like every other black/white variation of every phone. But they aren't. First, they come in different looking boxes. Just something that I'd thought i'd share. Secondly, the earpiece (where the ear is when taking a call) on the white version is white while the black one blends into the black borders of the phone. Moreover, the white Nexus 5 is glossy around the sides whereas the black Nexus 5 has dull black sides, Something to think about if one really cares about fingerprints on their phone (personally, I like the white version). Now with that out of the way, the things that I do like about this phone is that it is very snappy and quick when swiping and bringing up applications, more so than some of the better spec phones such as the Note 3. Another thing I like about the phone is it is light but it doesn't feel cheap. It has a build that feels good in your hands. And, the resolution on the screen is pretty damn good. I am pretty impressed by the definition and detail when looking at the screen, and colors look great. Now that's good news, but here is the bad news. One of the first things that I've noticed when using the Nexus 5 is that the speaker is pretty weak. It is not loud at all, and at full blast I couldn't hear the person on the other line when I was out in public. Another thing that this phone is not good at doing is staying alive. What I mean by this is that on one full charge, the phone will last about 4 to 5 hours max with regular usage. If I don't use the phone much I may get a few more hours of standby time. This bothered me because I need my phone throughout the day and I'm not always near an outlet, plus there's no way to open the phone and throw in a replacement battery. So, that definitely is a large negative for me. Finally, another weak point on this phone is the camera. Although the phone has a decent 8 mega pixel camera, the pictures I take in good light are not of great quality. The pictures seem to be not of the right colors and it seems to dull the light out a bit. Furthermore, I can't take rapid fire pictures as each successive picture taken requires a about 2-3 second delay between each other. But, the camera is surprisingly good at taking low light pictures. As a matter of fact, the Nexus 5 camera in low light is better than some of the more premium phones with better cameras. This is something that I really enjoy about the Nexus 5's camera. Overall, if I was to rate this phone as a regular priced phone, (650-750$) or 200$ with a 2 year contract, I would probably give it 3 stars due to all the flaws (camera, speaker , battery life) the phone has. But, for a 450$ phone or 50$ on a 2 year contract, this phone is exceptional. It is exceptional because it functions very well as a smart phone (the touch screen is very quick and responsive and on 4G the internet is quick) and it has great screen resolution. Personally I bought this phone outright for 450$ and I am happy with it. But, I think I wouldn't be as happy if I paid 700$ for it.
1010 comments44 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2013
This phone is an upgrade from a Galaxy S2 so I expected it to be a significant change as far as capability which it most certainly is. I've only had it for a day and a half so i really can't judge battery life yet which is a concern going to a fixed battery phone, but speed and performance is great. Sprint LTE in my area is decent so streaming full 1080 over the wireless network is good although it's not something I plan on doing often, but it is a good test for both the phone and network. Sprint is scheduled to start what they call SPARC next year which will use all three bands for data simultaneously which I am eager to try. There is very little Sprint Bloatware installed which was nice to see, but there is some. I also had to take the phone into a Sprint store to get it activated. I could have called customer service most likely, but the store was just down the block. One other thing to note was that when I ordered the phone through Amazon I changed my plan to the new all data for life, but when I took it into the store was told I still had my old plan. The service guy at the store changed it for me.
This was one of the three options I was looking at for an upgrade. The other two were LG-G2 and the Moto-X. A friend has the Moto-X and is happy as has some nice value added like the trusted zones which I really wish this phone had, but I am still very happy with my choice. The screen is definitely not an OLED as the blacks are not totally black and the colors can seen a bit washed out. For the price point of the off contract phone something had to give and it was the choice in screen. I don't mind it at all as I use the phone as a communication and productivity device mainly and I'd much rather have more computing power than a perfect screen. Also some reviews I've seen have disliked the camera. The camera is fine, but is slow to get into action/focus. I understand that this will be addressed in a software update in the future. I mainly use the a camera phone for documenting things as opposed to getting the perfect shot. I have a bunch of DSLR equipment for that. So far I am very pleased with the phone, but it has only been a few days. I'm giving it 4/5 due to the screen and camera not being perfect, but would not hesitate to make the same choice again at this time.
11 comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2013
I bought mine thru Sprint's upgrade program since I get an employee discount on the monthly charges via a friend. The initial setup at the Campus Sprint store took a while as it had to update the OS to Kit Kat- apparently out of the box. Since then I have gotten a couple Kit Kat updates from Google. One of them supposedly fixed the camera lag issue. I am not a big user of phone cameras, but the few I have taken look good, and the camera software and functions are idiot proof. I also dig having the camera available from the lock screen, and that you can scroll thru pics and back to the live camera with ease. Phone build quality is tight, and the case I bought separately on Amazon fits well, although the power button can be a little difficult to use at first, and some USB chargers do not fit snug with it. No fault of the phone itself. The battery seemed to drain faster for the first week or so, but that was most likely from me playing around with it a lot, or perhaps the phone battery or software itself adapting to my usage? The only gripe I have is the new phone dialing screen in Kit Kat makes it easy to dial a number by mistake while scrolling thru call history, But this is more user error than anything. SD card option and replaceable battery would be nice, but are not deal killers in my book. The speakers are adequate and call quality seems good. (There is only one speaker for the speakerphone on the bottom, the other is the mic.)
By far the main reason to buy this phone is the automatic software updates from Google mean this phone's Android software will stay up to date, and it comes with zero provider phone company bloatware.
on June 9, 2014
I'm going to start this out with a preface. I have been on Android since Eclair, so my comfort level with the software is not an issue.

I won't go so far as to say there is a learning curve to Android, but I will say that anyone can pick up this phone, make calls send texts, surf the web. Where this phone shines is after that. Those are simply prerequisites in the smartphone realm so any review of, "It's great for phone calls..." aren't helpful. That being said, it operates well on those key items.

The devil is in the details on this phone though. When the bloatware and manufacturer skins are stripped away, Android is fast and very clean. On this Nexus with the advanced specs, it's astonishing how quick things are.

I have had an S3, Evo 4G, and numerous experiences on other android devices as well as a year with an iPhone 4S in my pocket alongside my android phones.

The screen is an 'A' it is very sharp, true to color and of good size without feeling like I am carrying around a tablet.

Memory is adequate, I would have preferred the 32, but with Drive connectivity and faster mobile networks, I feel like on-device storage will be a dodo bird in 2 years.

Processing and RAM are top notch. There may be phones with faster or more, but with the reduced bloatware and interference of skins, the Nexus is faster. It just has less to shovel every time you ask it to function.

Build quality. It's a black phone with soft-feel plastic and a gorilla glass screen. It's better than Samsung, it's behind the new HTC M8, and in my opinion ahead of it's pricepoint. The phone in your hands will leave you complaining about very little.

Battery life is adequate. Everyone has a different view of this. If you are coming from a phone that can go for a week without charging (feature phones) you will complain. If you are coming from a 2-year old Android device, you'll be fine with it, in fact you might even be happy with it.

So ultimately, who should buy this phone?
- Tech savvy people who want to really customize their smartphone experience
- People who hate bloatware on their phone
- The Not-Another-Samsung/Apple crowd
- People looking for the most screaming deal on a product that will always have the newest software

And the final question, "Hey Joe, should I buy this phone?"
Are you someone listed above? Then yes. If not, Are you a fan of Apple, or would you rather have a desktop with widgets that you can change infinitely to your heart's content? Go nuts kid, this one's for you.

At the end of the day, you need to figure out where you put your priorities when grabbing any one of the "Premiere" smartphones. If you don't want to answer any questions about what you bought, get the iPhone and go along with the crowd. If you want the best camera, Nokia and Samsung are really the only players there. If you top priority is build quality, the M8 destroys all others. But if what you want is the least amount of useless stuff tied to a phone with a very good camera and fast interactions and always the newest software, this is your phone.
on February 10, 2014
I like that this is a google phone and will always get all the updates. I like that it is offered at a low cost by google. I dont like the limited internal memory and I thought the screen was a bit weak. The phone feels semi cheap in your hands and it is a very vanilla android experience. I like that but it gets old after a little while, forcing you to do all the customization yourself. The camera isnt anything special. Overall I would not waste a two year upgrade on this phone, since it is already cheap enough to purchase on its own.
on February 26, 2014
My wife and I got these phones as part of the Cyber Monday promotions and have not looked back. Our previous phones were Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch through Sprint. The service was horrible on those phones so I spent a lot of time researching whether it was the phones or the service. Turns out when Sprint switched to 4G LTE, the neglected everything 4G so we were stuck with 3G and roaming (mostly roaming) despite living in Oklahoma City (not the surrounding suburb, the city). We didn't want to let go of our Unlimited Data Plans so we stuck with Sprint for one last go and we could not have chosen a better phone to maximize everything around us. The processor is super fast, graphics are crystal clear, the Spark means I have had amazing speed away from the wifi in my house.

The 2 issues we have had with it are as follows:
- When turning off the screen, about half the time it takes at least 15 seconds to get the screen to turn back on.
- The battery is pretty small compared to similar style phones, but since there is no "bloatware" I have hardly noticed a difference from previous battery sizes to this one. I will say that getting a Task Killer app and setting it to close all applications regularly and setting its "Kill Level" at the highest level really does help extend the battery life.

Overall, I'm very happy with this phone. It took me a while to get used to some of the customization, taking for granted that "full" texting and voicemail apps are not initially installed, but I don't even think about the new apps I now have.
on March 8, 2014
This is only my second smartphone, but it I already like it so much more than my GS3. I love the simplicity, and the lack of all the bloatware. No redundant Sprint and Samsung apps; just pure Android. I like that the phone uses the app switcher button instead of a menu button. All the apps seem to be going to the menu selector built into the apps, negating the need for the traditional menu button, and now that I'm used to the app switch button I have really come to appreciate it. I never really used it too much on my GS3 because of the press and hold on the home button. Camera works great, and the phone gets a good signal for me. Battery life has been excellent as well (I don't use Skype so I haven't had the camera battery drain issue present in 4.4.2). The IPS screen isn't as over saturated as the AMOLED screen on the GS3, and after a week of use it is settling in nicely (never judge your display until it's had time to "burn in"). The phone is really fast and very smooth. Is it as feature rich as a GS4? No. But, for the way I use a smartphone it's perfect. If I had one complaint it would be that I wish the headphone jack played a little louder. Other than that, I am very happy.
on January 3, 2014
I upgraded to the Nexus 5 from a Nexus S 4G. An issue I had with my previous phone was how underpowered it was. After two years' worth of Android system updates, my old phone was pretty slow. A major problem with the Nexus S was the partitioning of the storage space into 2GB and 14GB divisions, which compounded the speed problem with memory issues as well. The Nexus 5 does not have either of these problems because of the new multi-core processor inside, and the entire 16GB of storage space is a single partition and accessible for both installation of apps and storage of photos, etc.

The Nexus 5 is very slim and sleek, but many of the cases available for it square off the slightly rounded edges of the phone in addition to adding thickness to the phone, making it a little chunky. This may be a reasonable trade-off if a case prevents your screen of becoming damaged when your phone is dropped.

The screen on the Nexus 5 is large and bright. You may want to turn the brightness setting down to conserve battery life, as the screen is responsible for as much as a third of my total battery consumption over the course of the day. With respect to the physical size of the phone, using it one-handed could be difficult if you have small hands. I wear medium/large size gloves, and have no problem with this. The large screen certainly helps with typing using the on-screen keyboard. Far fewer missed keys compared to my older phone.

I bought this phone on/around Cyber Monday, so it was on sale for $35 on Amazon for a device upgrade with Sprint. The price may have changed since then. If you're looking to buy the phone off-contract, the Google Play store may be a better deal.

When upgrading my phone, I was also considering the HTC One and the Moto X, which are both also great phones. I decided to go with the Nexus 5 because I prefer to run an Android phone without additional manufacturer-specific skins on top. These skins often add features or visual effects I don't use but will still consume system resources. Additionally, the Nexus 5 has a high repairability score from iFixit, which is also important to me. If a part of the phone breaks, I'd rather replace the broken part than buy a whole new phone. The Moto X also has a high repairability score, but the HTC One is not really repairable at all. Another advantage of the Nexus devices are the speed with which they receive Android system updates. You can read more about that elsewhere. Specific to the Nexus 5, the camera software was not particularly good upon launch of the phone in November. By the time I purchased and activated my phone in December, a new system update had been issued, and the camera software was upgraded in that release. The photos taken with the Nexus 5 rival those taken with my friend's iPhone 5, if that is a concern for you. I don't have a comparison to the iPhone 5S.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2014
Best phone I owned so far. Battery lasts me 22+ on stand by with minimal usage. I recommend getting the 32gb version, as I can see people going through the 16gb pretty quickly. Note: this is a bare bones phone. That means it has very little bloatware, but also no Sense(like)UI. But that's an advantage. You can then pick n choose apps u like and want. The Google voice feature is remarkably accurate. The swype keyboard input is more intuitive than the one on the htc evo. But takes a few tries to get used to. NFC is flawless on this. I'm finding new features on this phone everyday. Highly recommend this phone.

I got mine here on amazon for $30 with 2 yr contract with my carrier, Sprint. Sprint unveiled their SPARK network which is an enhanced lte. I was able to unlock the 2 bands associated with this new spark network. I am in NYC, and get better bandwidth than all of my friends who are on verizon/tmonile/att, a steady 15-20MB down, and 10 up and I have clocked at as high as 50-60GB. As they roll out more towers it will support 100+ MB over their radio signal. There are only 4 other phones that support SPARK, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy Mega, HTC One Max, and LG G2.

If this deal is still available. JUMP ON IT! Otherwise get the 32GB from google's website. My order came in from amazon literally in 2 days with standard shipping, as it almost always does with amazon. Can't say enough good things about amazon and this product. def get a case for it though, but any techie knows that. I got SUPCASE Google Nexus 5 Unicorn Beetle Premium Hybrid Protective Case (Black/Black), also through amazon. it was on sale, the openings for the ports are perfect size, and above all else the power and volume buttons are also covered by the case, thus protecting it. Follow this link:SUPCASE Google Nexus 5 Unicorn Beetle Premium Hybrid Protective Case (Black/Black) - Not Fit LG Google Nexus 4

Hope this review helps u people. GET THIS PHONE, you wont be disappointed!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse