1,034 of 1,075 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!
Words fail me on how much I love this tablet. I will say I'm slightly Google-biased, as I've owned Android phones before they were cool (and since), I use all their services (including Google+. Yes, there are people on there), and Google sent me a FREE Chromebook to beta-test it a year or two ago. So, yeah, I'm a little biased... =)

BUT, I've waited to buy a...
Published 23 months ago by Kyle

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Defects on Nexus 7
EDIT: please see my post/response comment below regarding customer service and refund issues...

Published on August 31, 2012 by Sharing Experience

1,034 of 1,075 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, October 14, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)

BUT, I've waited to buy a tablet. There's 2 iPads (both 3rd gen) in our house, and I do like them, they're worth the $500. However, it's not fun to just play with it. You need apps. Then, apps aren't really fun unless you get the paid version. Then, a $500 tablet becomes $50 dollars more, just to get some basic apps and games! Plus, it's cumbersome and weighty, so if you're playing a game, you'll be sitting it in your lap within 5 minutes.

The Nexus 7 has NONE of those problems.

1. It's $250. (Yes, I paid $275 for the one here, but I'm a Prime member and I have a store card here, so it made sense to buy from Amazon). It is NOT worth that price. It's worth $400 easy, in quality, look, feel, and performance.

2. The wallpapers, widgets, etc. alone can entertain you when you first get it! I customize my screens and change them every week to keep me from getting bored of it, so I gladly welcome how amazing it looks! Jelly Bean is silky smooth and the UI just makes sense, especially compared to Gingerbread, which my phone is stuck with... =(

3. Apps. There is enough on the device to get you started (including a copy of Transformers 3. Not that I'd pay for that *particular* title...), and the Play Store has so many naturally free apps that can do almost ANYTHING! Yes, if you get free apps, there will be some with ads, like with iOS devices, but at least you have a choice with almost every app, the prices for paid apps seem MUCH more reasonable, and Google gives you $25 credit just for buying a Nexus 7! $25!

4. Size. This was the make-or-break for me. I'm an avid reader. On the iPad, I fell in deep, deep love with iBooks. It was the PERFECTION of e-reader apps. Still is, in my opinion. I can get all my college books online in PDF, and I also have ePubs that I read, mark, highlight in. Owning an Android phone, I've shopped the apps, but nothing came close to the reading experience of iBooks on the iPad's nice 10" screen, the 5+ highlighting colors, and the shelves to keep my books organized.

That being said, I had reservations in buying this, as I doubted it could compete.

Even w/o a good reader app, it won. A 7" screen for a guy like me, who's NEVER at home, was a much better match than I imagined! It LITERALLY fits in a jacket pocket. Now pants, it'll depend on what kind, but the thought is that I can, will, and have taken this with me everywhere! It fits in my glove compartment, messenger bag, suit coat, jacket, you name it. With that alone, it beat the huge iPad, because now I was reading everywhere, instead of just at home. To make things better, I found an e-reader that's a very close 2nd to iBooks, Mantano reader (GET IT NOW!!), so I don't miss the iPad at all!

Cons: Hmm. Well, ummmm.... there's, no.... I got nothing. =)

Actually, I have a couple.
1. No HDMI port. That is a bummer, especially since Google is pushing their movie and TV selections so much, you'd think they'd give you a way to watch it on more than a 7" screen...
2. No 3G model... yet. ;D
3. Google Now needs some more work and features if it's going to compete w/ Siri. Not that it's bad, just limited...
4. Not many accessories, but how many do you need for a tablet? Phones, sure. But who would honestly dock their cutting-board-sized tablet? More case choices would be nice, though...

Basically, I've waited years to buy a tablet, waiting for a decent, GOOD Android tablet. Here it is, finally. It's waay cheaper than iPad, but not in quality AT ALL. It's running pure Android OS, unlike the Kindle Fires. Combining a quad-core processor with Jelly Bean means it's a MUCH better experience than any other Android tablet (I'm looking at you, Xoom), even rivaling/beating(?) an iOS experience!

Buy a Nexus 7 if you want a 7", $400 tablet for only $200 from Google.
Buy an iPad if you want a 10", $500 tablet from Apple.

Other than that, there is no difference or advantage.

Rate this if this review helped you in the slightest! (or even if you read it all... =D)

1,289 of 1,348 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Nexus 7 vs. Kindle Fire HD (updated), August 2, 2012
_______________________________________________

NOV 29 UPDATE:

Google just announced upgraded Nexus 7 tablets to be available on Nov 13. You will be able to get a 32GB Nexus 7 for the price of the current 16GB model.

NOTE:

My initial review was a Nexus 7 vs. the first generation Kindle Fire and the Nexus was a clear winner. I have now updated my review for the Fire HD. It's a close call but the Nexus' 4-core CPU and its pure Android, more open makeup make it my preferred 7-incher. However, the rest of my family prefers the Fire HD because it's such a great dedicated (Amazon) media consumption pad.
_______________________________________________

We've been using a Kindle Fire since September 2011 (pre-ordered) and I am happy we ordered ours. Soon after purchase it was adopted by our daughter. She is using it to draw and paint, she watches Netflix for Kids on it, she learned how to search Youtube for arts and crafts 'how to' videos and she plays (mostly free) games from Amazon's Appstore. The Fire wasn't a full-feature tablet when it launched but we overlooked its hardware shortcomings, its off-mainstream Android and its locking us out Google's much larger app store because the price was right and because the 7" screen size made it lighter and more portable than the 'full size' 10.1" alternatives. We are still happy with our Fire but we are happier with Nexus 7, our second 7" tablet.

Because Nexus 7 and Amazon's Kindle are both Android tablets very similar in screen size that sell for the same price, I am going to compare the two while I write about my experience with Nexus 7. Whenever appropriate, I will note the differences between Nexus and the Fire when such differences exist. If a feature is present on both tablets I will simply note its existence. I will prefix specific features with an equal sign if both tablets support it equally, a plus sign if the Nexus implementation is superior or Fire lacks it and a minus sign when a feature is better implemented by Fire or is a Fire exclusive.

HARDWARE (Nexus 7 but it's a close call)

The Nexus comes pretty close to what we normally call the latest and greatest (written in July 2012).

+ GPS (Fire lacks it)
= Front-facing camera on both
= Gyroscope
= Micro USB port
= Microphone on both

Neither the Fire or the Nexus come with memory expansion ports or a rear-facing camera. The Micro USB interface will allow you to attach flash drives and even powered USB HDDs but the fact remains that if you buy an Nexus 7 or a Kindle Fire HD you are stuck with built in amount of internal storage. At the same time, I will testify that I haven't used 8GB yet on my much older 16GB XOOM. A rear-facing camera would have been a plus.

CONNECTIVITY (Nexus 7)

The better connected a tablet is, the more useful it becomes. Both the Nexus 7 and the Fire HD lack 3G/4G capabilities (Amazon will have a very expensive 4G model later this year), relying mostly on Wi-Fi to stay in touch with the world but there are some differences between the two worth noting.

= WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
= Amazon's Appstore
= Bluetooth
+ Near Field Communication (Fire lacks it) It allows two devices that support it to exchange information by touching each other. Not widely used at this time.
+ Google Play (Fire restricts access to Amazon's Appstore only)

I listed the app stores under connectivity mostly because Amazon made it impossible (unless you hack your Fire) to shop from anywhere other than Amazon's own store and I believe you are confined to Amazon's cloud services. There are no such restrictions on the Nexus. You can use Amazon's cloud, Google's or anyone else's if you so desire.

SOFTWARE (Nexus 7)

+ Android. Nexus 7 comes with Android 4.1 pre-installed, the latest version at the time I write this. It is very likely that it will be upgradeable to future versions. At the same time, it is not likely that the Fire's custom Android 3.x will ever be upgraded. It's possible but not likely.
+ Chrome. It happens to be my favorite browser. Amazon does not allow Chrome on its Fire. Fire's own browser is not too bad but I personally prefer Chrome.
= Flash. Nexus 7 or Android 4.1 rather does not support Flash which is too bad but it's because Adobe decided not to support it on Android 4.1. Kindle Fire HD does not appear to support Flash either.

BUILD (a tie)

I like both tablets look and feel. Both the Nexus 7 and the Fire HD are strikingly beautiful tablets. One little issue for the Fire is its too well hidden power and volume controls but it's something that's likely to be annoying for the first few days only, until reaching for them becomes second nature.

PRICE (Fire HD but it's a close call)

The Fire HD appears is the less expensive one on the 16GB configuration but the difference is not as big as it may seem. Keep in mind that the Fire comes without a charger so you will have to buy one separately and you will have to pay Amazon some more if you don't want to see ads on it.

MY CONCLUSIONS

I've been using a Nexus 7 for over a month at the time I'm writing this. I've also been using a Kindle Fire HD for about a week now. I am fully aware that when it comes to 'tablets' the technology changes fast and I have little doubt that it will be surpassed by many newer models but, at the time I'm writing this, I have a personal preference for the Nexus 7 even though I enjoy using the Fire HD and they are nearly on par when it comes to 'media consumption' activities with the Fire HD clearly in the lead when the content's is Amazon.

Neither the Nexus or the Fire are perfect. Both tablets, for example, lack memory expansion capabilities and a back camera. However, the Nexus, while selling for the about the same price, beats the Fire in every single category but it's a close call. If you are an Amazon person (like I am) the Nexus gives you the best of both worlds. You can still get your Amazon Appstore and the Kindle reader app but nothing restricts you from using someone else's store. The Fire HD erased the Nexus advantage on Bluetooth, camera and microphone. Amazon's new tables now match the Nexus 7 for many features and they even beat the Nexus on some (Wi-Fi, internal storage). In my case, I will continue to use the Nexus 7 but the rest of the family prefers the Kindle Fire HD.

>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<

___________________________________________

NOTE ON STORAGE (memory)

We are doing just fine with our 8GB Kindle Fire and our Nexus 7 is a 8GB model. I went for the 8GB model for 2 reasons: my year-plus experience with a 8GB Kindle Fire and a 16GB XOOM and, I must admit, a 16GB model wasn't available at the store when I bought my Nexus.

I agree that 16GB is always better than 8GB and a tablet with a SD card slot is better than one without. Objectively, 8GB may be okay for most of us but not all of us. Our 8GB Fire is less than half-full today and I never needed an SD card for our 16GB XOOM because, after more than a year, I have 4.8GB worth of Apps, 1GB worth of pictures and videos (all pics and videos I took with the XOOM) and 0.2GB worth of Audio.

Had I decided to download my music library and the family photo albums on a tablet, 16GB might have been barely adequate and I would have used the SD memory expansion but I never felt that need. With videos coming from Youtube or movie streaming services and most of my music streaming from Pandora or cloud storage or our dedicated Media Server, 8GB appear to be okay (barely) and 16GB are quite plenty. Of course this may not be the case 2 years from now.

I would buy the 16GB model if I was planning on storing lots of content other than apps on my tablet or simply wanted 'peace of mind' as in not worry about managing my tablet's storage. If not planning to keep lots of photos or videos or music on the Nexus then the 8GB may be just fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars A few issues, but overall a good intro tablet, August 18, 2012
D.L.C (United States) - See all my reviews
Updated News as of April 3rd:

Google is set to release the 2nd edition of the Nexus 7 in July 2013. Resolution is expected to be bumped up to 1920 x 1080, new Qualcomm Snapdragon processor for increased speed, 2 gigs of RAM, a back camera, and for the cellular plan, LTE. Pricing rumors haven't been released. So, if you can wait a few months, it's probably best to see what Google has in store for the Nexus 7 Second Edition before buying the currently offered Nexus 7.

End of Update.

Full Disclosure:

I own an iPad 3 and an iTouch and a four, going on five year old Motorola dumb phone.

I'm not going deep into hardware specs, you can read other reviews for that.

[EDIT FOR NEWEST GOOGLE PRESS RELEASE]

On October 29th, Google released the updated Nexus 7. The ONLY things that changed was that the 8gb version was discontinued, the 16gb version dropped to $199 and the 32gb version was released for $249 (both available for purchase NOW). The 3G cellular version is on sale starting November 13, 2012. Do not buy the existing Nexus 7 versions at current prices posted on Amazon! You're paying way too much.

[/END EDIT]

Let's address some of the perceived flaws and some of the real flaws of the Nexus 7.

1) Storage. 8gb and 16gb (the two flavors the Nexus 7 comes in) can go real fast real quick in today's age of HD movies. I took my 16gb iPad on a trip and I maxed out with movies incredibly fast, even after I shrunk them down to least tolerable quality. The Nexus 7 does deserve some criticism for no Micro-SD slot and I was not going to buy it for that sole reason. However, like all good Android Tablets, there's a solution.

[SUPER BIG EDIT FOR HIGHLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION]:

It's called USB On The Go. Essentially you take a USB OTG cable (like $1 on Ebay), plug it into your Nexus 7, download the Nexus Media Importer app (Currently $3 on Google Play) and then connect whatever side hard drive or flash drive you want. The largest size external media I could connect to (and have access too) is a 3TB Western Digital. So much for 8/16 gig limits! The only problem I encountered with large drives is that the Media Importer app (which streams media as well as allowing one way coping to the Nexus 7) is that it crashes when you try to stream media out of folders that contain huge amounts of files, like 3,000 mp3s. If you're cheap, you can do much of the same via Stickmount and a file manager (Stickmount requires rooting). But the Nexus Media Importer just makes it ridiculously easy. Best $3 in credit I spent.

With OTG and flash drives you don't need the cloud. Ever. Seriously, whoever decided to not put in the MicroSD to force cloud should be fired at Google.

Oh yeah. And this requires absolutely ZERO rooting. Take your Nexus out of the box. Download the Nexus Media Importer App. Buy the cable. Plug in your thumb drive. You're good to go.

As of today (10/5/12), I was able to connect a canon point and shoot, iPad 3, iTouch, 4 small flash drives (less than 2 GB), a 1 TB and 3 TB external hard drives (Western Digital), a SD card reader (with regular and microSD via adapter) and was able to pull/stream files off all of them (FAT and NFTS formatting, no EXFAT at the moment sorry!). For some reason my old Motorola ZN5 (ancient eh?) no longer registers anymore, but as long as you plug in relatively new devices you'll be okay. An exception is I plugged in my 9 year old iRiver player and it streamed music perfectly.

Don't forget that OTG also lets you plug in and use keyboards (wired and wireless via dongle) and mice without rooting. Mice generate a cursor when plugged in. Also be aware that OTG may charge devices from your Nexus 7. For you true gamers, PS/3 controllers work as well. Not on all games, but games like Dead Trigger they'll work just like they do on a PS/3. Like to see that on a Kindle Fire or an iPad!

2) Display. Yes, it's not an iPad. It's also less than half the price of the new iPad. Text is still crisp and clean and colors are largely well done. Not iPad well done, but save yourself $300 well done. It's fairly responsive, not iPad response, but better than many other tablets out there. I have no complaints about it. As for the screen separation, that seems to be more of an issue with the 16gb version than the 8gb. I haven't had any ghosting issues either.

3) Camera is pretty terrible. The front facing 1.2 megapixel is nothing to get excited about. And there is no back camera. I honestly don't get why that's just a big deal. You look like a tool using the back camera. Anyone does. Even Olivia Wilde (13 on a total possible score of 10 house fans!) would look like a douche using a tablet's back camera to take video/pictures. Odds are you have your smartphone with a decent camera. Use that. There oddly though, is no app for the camera that ships with the Nexus 7. But there is a free Nexus 7 camera launcher app.

4) Apps. True, the Apple ecosystems has far more apps designed for tablets than Android does. But most of your apps, like skype, facebook, office utilities are all there. Furthermore, rather than being stuck on iTunes you can install Amazon's app store in addition to the preloaded Google Play store.

5) No cellular connection. Fair enough, but it does have the capacity to get on to a hotspot. Meaning, just tether your smart phone. Granted, that costs money, but the fact that something like 80% of all tablets sold, Android and Apple are wifi only suggests that cellular connections on tablets is highly overrated. If you're one of those 8 out of 10 people who don't care about cell connections on your tablet, this shouldn't obviously matter.

[EDIT]: The 3G cellular model available now on Google Play sells for $300. Also, does not support CDMA networks so no Verizon or Sprint. Ships with an AT&T sim card.[/Edit]

6) No Flash - This is technically half wrong. While Jelly Bean does not support Flash off the bat, there are FREE fixes to get flash on to your Nexus.

Google "Install Flash On Nexus 7"

The downside is you need a browser that is flash coded which includes Firefox Beta (free on Google play). It's a bit convoluted but follow the instructions and you'll have your flash games. I've posted pictures on the Nexus 7 8GB image gallery of both flash games AND streaming flash video off my Nexus 7.

If an iPad user like me can figure this out, you can too!

Now on to other things:

Little black rectangle is lightning fast. The five core processor (yes, there are five I'll get to that later) loads things speedy without crashes and without bugs. My iPad crashes apps pretty regularly. Only once has my settings crashed but that was largely due to me screwing up my setup of my Wi-Fi extender. I can't fault the Nexus 7 for that. Speaking of which, the Nexus was super useful walking all over my house and yard to diagnosis network deadzones and other problems. 3/4 of a pound and strong Wi-Fi pick up made that job real easy, especially with free Wi-Fi apps. I could have done that with my iPad, but that would have been far less fun. Also, the Nexus 7 picks up Wi-Fi networks my iPad doesn't.

Jelly Bean isn't as smooth as iOS 5/6 but it is better than every other Android device that my friends and family have used (and I played around with).

Oh yes, five cores. The process actually has a fifth core that keeps basic services running when the device is in sleep mode. That saves massive amounts of energy. The battery life on the Nexus is better than my iPad without comparison even when doing the same things. The fifth core doesn't operate during normal operations. Battery life on this device is phenomenal.

EDIT: On light usage, I am able to get ~195 hours before hitting 5% battery. On medium, movie watching no heavy gaming, I can regularly do ~110 hours before hitting 5%. GPS however, will eat power like nobody's business.

What I like about the Nexus 7 is that I can largely customize anything I want. The Nexus ships with a format that is more phone than tablet, but with a Root and a few apps, I was able to switch it to the Tablet UI that you see in 10" Android tablets. I personally prefer that format but it makes icons smaller to fit it all in. Not the best for older people. But that's the great thing about Android in general. Whatever you want to change, you probably can. And the Nexus 7 is no different.

Google Voice Search is pretty awesome. It's not as good as Siri in actually reading back answers to you, most of my searches lead to a web search with links. Weather does get repeated in a Siri like female voice. Speak slowly and clearly. Or you'll get weird results. Also, phrase questions more as searches than something you'd ask a real human. Google Voice does not do well with questions like "do I need an umbrella today?" Ask "Weather forecast (your location)."

Now, in my opinion, one of the coolest things about the Nexus 7 is in the built in GPS coupled with the free cached maps. Say you're going to visit your friend who's getting married in small town in Iowa. You can either buy a GPS or bring your Nexus 7 with the map of the small town saved to memory. Turn on the GPS and it will track where you on in the town on the map real time no wifi/cell connection required. I downloaded a map of my town and tracked myself going to work. Planning your route out can easily turn the Nexus 7 into a GPS system without any additional costs.

EDIT: Note, this doesn't give you turn by turn directions by itself. To get turn by turn directions you need the "NAvFree USA" (there is a Navfree for other countries) app off the Google Play store. It's free. Download your state and set your destination. It gives out voice commands on when to turn similar to a dedicated GPS device. It doesn't name street names which is expected considering it's free, but it is largely accurate saying "in 100 meters, turn right." My recent test of the app did ask me to drive over a divided highway though. As long as you pay attention though, this app coupled with the Nexus 7 will function as decent GPS offline, no wifi, no cell connection. And it even recalculates the route if you miss a turn.

Speaker is pretty terrible compared to iPad. But the audio on headphones is on par. I don't expect anyone to really use the speaker so I'm not counting that as a real disadvantage.

One thing: if you are a student planning on using this for notes, don't. The screen is way too small to actually take notes well and you need a blue tooth keyboard as well. Virtual on screen keyboard already eats up too much space. However, there is a speech to text and it might work well recording what your professor says. That said, you're better off with either the iPad or the Asus Transformer w/ keyboard. Or a real laptop.

All in all I do like the tablet and often I'll reach for it over the iPad. Except when it comes to shopping online and browsing (and Facebook). The 7" is simply too small to offer real competition to a 9~10" screen. The use of keyboard via OTG alleviates this a bit but the screen is still really small.

If you're looking to jump into Android, this is the tablet to do so. Plus if you buy now you get $25 in Google Play credit and a transformers movie copy. Not the biggest of Michael Bay but $25 brings the actual cost quite down.

Word of caution: the 16 GB versions seem to be affected by a poor manufacturing/QC issues. The 8 GB versions seem to have far fewer problems. If you're okay with OTG external storage, go with the 8 GB version as you're likely to have far less chance of getting a defective unit.

One more annoying fact: If you root your device and get a custom recovery, you can't install over the air updates. Found this out the hard way. You have to manually install Android updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet!, July 21, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
Where do I begin? I pre-ordered the 16 GB version directly from Google Play. Since it arrived, I have barely put it down. Setup was easy and it synced flawlessly with my Gmail account, automatically downloading apps I had purchased for my android phone. The touchscreen is very responsive and the system is extremely fast. "Buttery" is a great way to describe it. No lag whatsoever. It is light, but also feels durable. So far, the descriptions of the battery life seem accurate - about 10 hours of web surfing. I had heard about the improved voice searches, but I had no idea they would be this good. It has answered every question I have tried, even with my southern accent. Previous attempts on my android phone were not nearly as successful. This is an excellent product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Major Defects on Nexus 7, August 31, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)

... I ordered mine directly from Google Play a couple of weeks ago. Received it within a few days, and it was defective out of the box - dead pixels. Google was great about getting a replacement out immediately, but in the week of use while waiting for the next one, I also had the glass/screen lifting from the tablet on the left that sooooo many people are having (moves when touched and makes creaking sounds - especially not good for gamers). Received the replacement, which is also defective - gray spots in the display screen (almost like the back-lighting isn't working in those areas or is blocked by some debris, or the pixels are just stuck in that color) and major lifting of the glass/screen on the left side before any use. I hate to give it up, because there are a lot of great things about it that I really like, but I'm going to return this one as well and wait to see if they resolve in future build productions. I would not recommend Nexus 7 until they correct these issues, unless you're okay with accepting them. I do realize the price is much lower than other tablets, but there will be other options coming out in the same price range, so hopefully this will help encourage Google/Asus to improve the quality control on the Nexus 7, if they aren't already interested in doing so. You might want to do a web search on defect issues before purchasing, just so you are aware. These two issues I've had seem to be quite prevalent. Both I received were from the July production run, so they haven't addressed them as of yet.

EDIT regarding customer service: Google Play customer service is horrible. There are several nice reps, but almost none of them actually follow through to resolve an issue with a return for refund (even from the "managers" that told me they would contact me with a follow up email and didn't, on more than one occasion). It took OVER A MONTH to receive my refund from Google after receiving two defective units and returning both, and that was after MANY phone calls and emails to them before I could get one person who finally truly took responsibility and followed through. If you order this directly from Google and have any issues, you may wait a very long time to get a refund, so you might want to go to a retail outlet to purchase instead, where you can actually get an immediate refund if needed. Google's customer service is nothing in comparison with Amazon's wonderful customer service, and that's a fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect $200 media tablet., August 8, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
I purchsed one of these through Google Play directly. Was going to get one for my wife, decided to check my favorite store Amazon only to find that they are increadably overpriced here. I hope that changes soon.

This media tablet is the perfect $200 tablet. I titled this review that way because most of the negative reviews I read here are due to some of the short comings of this tablet. People really expect WAY to much these days. Why complain about something a cheaper tablet doesn't have when you know good and well that it won't have those features?!?! If this tablet ain't for you, don't buy it and don't bother griping about it either. That doesn't do anyone any good. Plus this is technically a "media tablet", not a full tablet. And you'd really need to wait for Windows 8 release to get a REAL full blown, no holds bared tablet anyway.

What amazes me about this tablet is...
1. Speed. It's fast, dang fast for an Android based low price tablet. I've used faster tablets, but those cost well over $500.
2. Resolution. The screen is fantastic! Bright, clean, great viewing angles, and perfect resolution (16x10 NOT 16x9! That's perfect! 16x9 stinks on computing devices!)
3. Power. Great battery life. No, amazing! I've been able to get a full day of heavy use out of this tablet easily.
4. Android 4.1. Android is finally getting good. Not perfect, not quite iOS or Windows 8 IMHO but much better than in the past. Perfect for this tablet/task.
5. Lightweight. This much power and battery with such a light weight device is amazing.
6. Google. Face it, without the full power of Google behind this little guy it wouldn't be 1/2 (or less) of the tablet it is.

What doesn't amaze me...
1. Fumble! Yep, I tend to fumble this little guy a lot. The touch screen is very reactive, which is a good thing. But I end up accidentally hitting it and changing things a lot when I don't mean to. Plus the soft touch home button to me should be a double press once the button has faded, to keep you from hitting when you don't want to. The backing is very nice and soft, but I still find it slippery. I'm getting a cover for it soon, so hopefully that will help. P.S. I have carpal tunnel issues which makes this worse. YMMV.
2. Blinding! Reflective screen glass. Come on Asus! NOBODY likes reflective screens, and it is possible to make them anti-reflective without the "sparkles" Apple fixed it on the iPhone 3GS, (then failed on the 4...) so why do companies still do this stupid thing? It's annoying as all get out!
3. Plug it! Minor, but I don't like the micro USB plug. Too fragile. I'd rather see a mini USB plug. Not that much bigger, but much more robust and stronger, and more available.

What doesn't bother me in the least...
1. Can you hear me now? No cellular. So what. I'd use my cell phone's hot spot ability if I needed internet on the go with this guy. Cheaper that way anyway.
2. Flashy? Nope, no Adobe Flash support. Good. R.I.P. Flash!
3. Expand! Can't do. No external memory support. You can rig it with connectors and rooting. But Google provides on-line storage, enough to make this problem not a problem.

Overall, you really can't get a better media tablet considering the price. Sure you can get something with more features, and pay a lot more. Plus, few will need those features.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy the 16gb or 8gb Nexus till after Nov 1, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
The Nexus 7 is a truly great tablet.
If you want a full open Android tablet or to be able to use GPS Maps you can use anywhere, the Nexus 7 is for you.
If you have Amazon Prime, love the Amazon offerings and don't mind a less open experience get a Fire HD, its a great tablet, just walled in to Amazon.
In any case DO NOT buy a 16gb or 8gb Nexus 7 until after Nov 1.
The 32gb Nexus 7 is slated to replace the 16gb one at the same price as the 16gb one.
The 16gb Nexus 7 will probably drop to $200.00 and the 8gb one will fade into history.
Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love gadgets, August 18, 2012
Susan LeGear (Yellow Springs, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
I'm a grandma who loves gadgets (have to keep up with the grandkids:) and when I read all the info on this new Google Nexus 7 tablet, I decided I would like to try one. I have a desktop, 2 laptops, a netbook, a Kindle Touch, and a smart phone so why I needed this tablet, I just don't know. But being the gadget person that I am, I wanted it. Have only had it for a few days (got it for my 70th birthday) but so far it is great. Fast, clear, easy to use and learn and I love the 7 inch screen. It is big enough to see and read clearly yet small enough to stick in my purse. My gd has the Fire which I like but this Nexus 7 is lighter and easier to handle. It will do everything that I need; cruise the net, read books, watch movies, access my 2 email accounts, has lots of storage (16GB) for my grandkids pics and music. My son who is an engineer and is quite computer knowledgeable, says it's Jelly Bean OS is great and he is waiting to get it on his droid smartphone. This tablet provides me with all the tools I need to lay in bed at night and entertain myself without disturbing my husband. All-in-all this is an excellent buy at $249.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful 7" Tablet that does use Flash with the right browser!, August 6, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
I was waiting, for Tegra 3 devices, to mature a few mallore months on, when I saw the Nexus 7 was on sale. I quickly put in my order from Google Play online, for my 16B device. I received it
a few days later. I powered it on, and was soon at the setup screen. After adding my google 411
I was taken to the Google Play store. Within seconds all the apps I have installed on my Skyrocket, were downloading, and installing on my Nexus 7.
The games were full of eye candy (Glow Ball, Shine Runner, & Shadowgun THD, to name a few) in the Google Play Store search for Tegra 3 from games and you'll find several, now. Ther will be 25+ titles by years end.(I can't wait)

Admittedly, I was shocked to learn Flash Player was not supported on Jelly Bean (according to both Adobe, and the black box on Google Play stating my device wasn't supported). I did some research, and discovered, some ICS device owners were having some issues with Flash, but undaunted, I went looking for the Flash 11.1.5.apk to see if it could work. Since I use Dolphin Browser, when I dwant to use Flash, I downloaded, installed, and opened it from within. I was able to watch an Amazon Prime show, which requires Flash, so I knew it worked. Obviously, Opera, Firefox, and Marathon browsers among others also run with Flash. Thanks to a Developer, you can quickly download, and install Flash. Just look for [Flash Player 11 Downloader] you'll see

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to use, but some units have very fragile cover glass., September 13, 2012
This review is from: Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB) (Personal Computers)
Review of Nexus 7 16 GB bought in late August 2012.

The good:
1. Great screen size, big enough to see but easy to carry.
2. Light and thin. Easy to hold. (Easier to hold with Supcase leather case.)
3. Very good, intuitive user interface.
4. Bright display colors and easy to read text. Works well with Kindle application.

The bad:
1. No rear facing camera. This makes it difficult or impossible to use some android applications, such as UPC code scanners.
2. Extremely fragile screen. Nexus 7 does not use Gorilla glass, just "fortified glass" glued on top of the display screen. After having my Nexus for only 2-1/2 days, I placed my Nexus 7 in the front left pocket of my cargo shorts and sat down and the screen shattered, as if it was made of microscope slide cover glass. There were no other objects in my pocket, and my shorts were loose fitting so the Nexus was not in any kind of bind. The cover glass runs right to the edge of the Nexus 7, and the frame is really flimsy. There is no way an uncased Nexus 7 could survive any kind of drop. (In contrast my 9 year old son has dropped my Droid X, which does have Gorilla glass, numerous times with no damage, and I carry my Droid X in the same front pants pocket daily.)

Even though the screen was clearly defective, Asus's warranty (Asus makes the Nexus 7) does not cover screen breakage for any reason. Their warranty service is also somewhat difficult to work with, and the cost to replace my screen and ship my Nexus back to me was $164, plus the $15 it cost me to ship it to Asus.

About three weeks later I received my repaired Nexus 7. After fully charging the battery, I tried to turn my Nexus on. I had a very difficult time getting it to boot to the home screen. It took about seven times turning the unit off and back on before I could get the touch screen to register any input. For the next two days the touch screen had dead spots and only worked sporadically. Since then it seems to be working normally.

I purchased a Supcase leather case for my Nexus, and I highly recommend this product. It fits the Nexus 7 very snuggly, and it looks like it would protect the unit against most bumps and drops. When you close the front cover of the case it puts the Nexus into sleep mode. The cover is held closed with magnets sewn into the leather. Now I feel a lot more comfortable carrying my Nexus around, since the Nexus housing is somewhat slippery and I was constantly worried about bumping or dropping my Nexus and breaking the cover glass again.

Summary: The Nexus 7 is a great size, lightweight, and a lot of fun to use; but I only give it 3 stars because of its very fragile cover glass. (See update below.)

Update 11/2/12: My Nexus operating system is performing better than ever after two software updates. I am not reading a lot of other reviews of the Nexus where the cover glass was as fragile as mine, so perhaps I got a bad unit, but I am still disappointed that Asus service did not warranty my defect. My wife also has a Nexus, and we have had no issues with her unit. I am now pleased enough with our Nexus 7 tablets that I am revising my rating upwards to four stars.

Google Nexus 7 Tablet (16 GB)
$299.00 $208.00
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies