Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now Tikes

Size: 16GBChange

2,020 of 2,134 people found the following review helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 26, 2013
**REVIEW UPDATED ON 7/30/13 - Updated speakers, "other features", battery life, gripes**

For anyone on the fence, and especially for those frustrated by the performance slowdown issues with the original Nexus 7 tablet, don't let that scare you off from buying the second generation model.

Google made all of the right improvements to the product, and the result is a significantly improved product for a marginally higher cost. Only time will tell if this unit suffers the same performance fate as the original model (for those not familiar, over time, the first generation tablets tended to quickly slow down and struggle to perform even basic tasks like browsing the internet). However, Android 4.3 feels ultra-smooth so far, and I am hoping that Google and Asus learned from their original mistakes.

SCREEN: The new screen is absolutely stunning. Some people argue that the resolution of 323 pixels per inch is unnecessary, but you can really see the difference when you use it in person. Text is significantly sharper and a little easier on the eye to read. Using the tablet to watch videos and see pictures produces a stunning result.

PROCESSOR: This is the #1 reason I'd recommend this new, upgraded Nexus 7 over the older version. The speed upgrade is unquestionably immense, and to those who have used the older and newest model Nexus 7, you will notice and appreciate this immediately. Apps load instantly; the internet browsing experience is smooth and a very welcome upgrade over past performance. It's strange; a few days ago I was satisfied with the decent albeit declining performance of my 1st Gen Nexus 7. Now that I have this new one, I use them both side by side and the older model feels like a dinosaur. This alone is reason enough to upgrade.

SIZE/WEIGHT: The reduced thickness and weight of the tablet is very noticeable. I often times used my old Nexus 7 tablet while sitting in bed, to check email and browse the web prior to going to sleep. Holding the old Nexus in one hand, and the new one in the other, the differences in size and weight are VERY noticeable. No doubt will provide a more comfortable long term usage experience, especially for extended sessions while on flights or the subway.

BATTERY LIFE: After a couple days of using this new Nexus 7, I can confidently say that the battery life has been significantly improved over the original model. My previous session of about 2 hours straight of use (screen on, using apps that draw semi-frequent data over wi-fi) drained only 20% of the battery life. If I project this out, it would tell me that I could get 10 hours of constant use on one full charge. I haven't run through an entire charge yet from 100% down to 0% (I've been recharging after each use), but I'll try to get to that sometime this week and report back on my total real-world battery life.

CAMERAS: Google added a rear-facing Camera on this new second gen Nexus. While I typically wouldn't use my tablet as a camera, I have tried it out and it takes excellent pictures. Focuses quickly, the images are sharp and the low light performance, while not great, is better than I would have expected. The front-facing camera gets more use for me (I use my tablets to Skype with family). The new front facing camera is noticeably sharper and better in lower light situations than the original Nexus 7 camera was. In low light, the old model was almost unusable. The 2nd gen Nexus 7 low light performance is very acceptable.

SPEAKERS: I've now spent some time using this second-gen Nexus 7 side by side with my original Nexus 7. Separately, they both sound very acceptable for speakers from small tablets. Using them side by side, the improvements to the Nexus 7 are very noticeable, and the sound is more clear even at high volumes. I'd say that this new model sounds far less "tinny" than the original Nexus did. Personally, I don't use the built-in speakers often (I'm normally either listening with headphones, or using bluetooth audio to my Logitech Boombox). But for people who do use the built-in speakers to play music or watch movies, you will appreciate the improvement in the speakers.

OTHER FEATURES: Last night, I realized that this tablet is compatible with Qi Wireless Charging, a discovery which made me VERY happy. I use a Nexus 4 cell phone, and I keep it on my nightstand on the Google Nexus Charging Orb. I attempted to use the orb with this new Nexus 7 tablet, and it worked perfectly. You have to sit the tablet landscape, with the orb centered on the tablet, and it synced up and began charging instantly.

COMPARISONS: I will update this section shortly with my comparison review between this 2nd Gen Nexus 7, the iPad Mini, and the Kindle Fire HD, as soon as I've had more time to test them all side by side.

GRIPES AND COMPLAINTS: Here, I'll list any gripes that I have about the tablet. My first major gripe is that I am not a huge fan of the texture/material used on the back of the tablet. It's a slightly rubberized feeling coating, which I assume they did to create additional grip. However, I've been finding that after holding with one hand for a few minutes, I notice the tablet starting to slide a little bit in my hand. I think this is a combination of the new texture plus the fact that it's thinner than it used to be. I'm probably going to be purchasing a case for it shortly, which should alleviate this problem, but it is still worth noting. This is just a personal preference things (if you normally hold it landscape w/ two hands, you'll probably prefer this new texture over the old one).

All in all, I am VERY impressed with how much faster this tablet is than my original Nexus 7 tablet. As long as this model doesn't suffer the performance slowdown issue of the original Nexus 7, I don't anticipate moving this away from a 5 star product anytime soon, but only time will tell I guess. I will keep this review updated as I go, and add thoughts on more features once I test them out further (the speakers, longer term battery life tests, performance slowdown, etc). If you have anything else you want me to address, please let me know in the comments section and I will be glad to address it.
127127 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
1,664 of 1,789 people found the following review helpful
on July 26, 2013
*** This review is for a 32GB, WiFi only tablet.

I just picked one of these little guys at my local BB presale because I'm impatient and had to try one. Yes, I actually have one and I'm not BS'ing.

Being an IT professional, I've used a variety of Android and Apple devices, probably dozens at this point. I'm well versed in Apple, Android and Microsoft world, and have a MCSE/MCSA and half a dozen other MS/IT certs, so I know what I'm talking about.

I suspect it will take a month or two before I'm fully versed in the eccentricities of this tablet, but here is my 3 hours of use review:

First Impressions:

Upon receiving the box, I was pleasantly surprised by how small and minimal it is. Very similar to Apple packaging, which is best in the business in my opinion. Upon turning it on and signing into my Google account, I was immediately greeted by several updates. 0-day updates to be expected from a major release and are appreciated.

As usual, my Google account wanted to sync all my previous Play Store apps onto the device which I immediately stopped. No stupid Verizon apps for you! One of my primary reason for getting this tablet was for gaming. I'm disappointed by the horridly slow memory on my old Kindle Fire, and I hate the uphill battle that comes with trying to Jailbreak and install emulators on Apple tablets. I nearly bought a Nexus 7 Gen1 until I heard it had slow storage as well. Once I heard that Nexus 7 Gen2 had greatly improved storage speeds, as well as better specs down the board, I was sold. I won't bore you with all the specs, as you can read those in the Amazon description above. However, I must point out one particularly great spec that this tablet has, and many covet: a 1080p screen on a 7" tablet. There are no current 7" tablets on the market that match that PPI, but I'm sure Apple's iPad mini 2 will match or come close to it. (when it comes out)

I have no gear to officially test the dynamic contrast and black levels of the screen, but CNET (Normally Apple biased) gave a very impressive 570/0.44 cd/m2 for it's max brightness/black level, putting it at 1,295:1 contrast ratio, beating the socks off the iPad Mini's 814:1, and the old Nexus 7 at 1,028:1. I notice this most in black and white movies like Casablanca, (my usual test) but color also pops much better too. The color levels are more accurate across the board than the greenish tint of the first N7, and give Apple a run for the money.

If gaming is your target, it's interesting to find that the Nexus 7 Gen2 meets or exceeds the iPad Gen4. GFXBench tests put the N7g2 consistently in line with the iPad, no small feat for a sub-$300 device. I confirmed this performance by playing a number of games and finding that I couldn't slow this little guy down; Galaxy on Fire's new android release, Project Y, and a host of old standbys. It runs an Adreno 320, the same as the mighty HTC One, so if an HTC One plays it well, the Nexus 7 will too. It also typically beats a Nexus 10 in all tests, so if your choice between these two tablets is speed, the N7 is the obvious winner.

When I got the tablet it was at 50% battery life. It took about 2 hours before it was at 100%. I'm guessing it will take 3-4 hours with the shipped charger to bring it from 0 to 100.

Other improvements:

The improvements in Android 4.3 are not going to be apparent for a while, as the main improvements are OpenGL ES 3.0 and app security permissions. However, it also includes battery improvements which seem to stretch an additional hour of video watching despite it's slightly smaller battery. It's also a little thinner than the 1st gen Nexus 7, by around 1.8mm. Usually thin tablets annoy me and are awkward to hold, but the Nexus 7 has comfortable rounded sides and a soft rubber back. The front is a fingerprint magnet of course.

Value and software:

Last but not least, the Nexus 7 is only $230 for a 16GB model, or $270 for 32GB. Compare this to an iPad mini at $330 for a 16GB model, or a 32GB at $430. The original Nexus 7 seems to be going for under $200 now, so if all you need is a nice internet browser and like to dabble in everything else, the Nexus 7 Gen 1 is actually a great deal.

A last positive comes in the form of the Apple/Android philosophy. This baby comes ready to be loaded up with any ROM you chose, as do all of the Nexus series. There aren't any real releases yet, but I expect there to be some great ones over the next few months. Apple does it's best to prevent Jailbreaking. If you don't know the benefits of either, and consider yourself a tinkerer, then you may want to brush up on them.

The other part of this Android/Apple philosophical difference takes the place of Apple censorship. I HATE IT. Apple tries it's best to keep it's store locked down with American prude censorship. Google doesn't. Apple also nixes nearly any emulator apps they can. This means no DOSBox, SNES, NES, Genesis and Playstation emulators for you if you're stuck on an Apple device. That sucks a big one. One of the big reasons I will not pick up an IOS device.

Now for negatives:

1.) The obvious being that the Google Play Store gets some games later than the Apple App Store. Nearly all the "good" games are available on both within months, but the tendency is for Apple to get the initial release followed closely. by Play Store. However, the total number of Apps in either store is now shifted into Google's favor, as it now has over 1,000,00 apps compared to Apple's 900,000+, with the lead growing each month. So let the stupid, "My tablet has more apps" argument die, as it doesn't matter anymore.

2.) The widescreen format and shape can be awkward for some, but I got used to it quickly.

3.) There is no SD card slot. We already expected this as the previous didn't have one, but I really wish it had one so I could load it up with music and movies. Heck, I've got a 64GB microSD card in my phone. Why can't a much larger tablet have one too?

Other than that, I am struggling to find a negative with this tablet. Once again, I think I'll give it a few weeks before I can fully flesh out this review. Until then, I'm gonna enjoy messing with this little guy.

Edit: 48 hours later...

Now that I've had the tablet for a couple days and kicked it around a bit more, I'm still holding firm on my previous statements. I've loaded up Jet Set Radio, Dolphin, Labtech Control Center and a number of other apps to see how well it handles a variety of content. I must say, I'm not having any issues. I loaded up 3DMark so I could see for myself how well it handles a heavy load on it's GPU, and it breezed through even on Extreme, achieving a score of around 6300. The first Nexus is only able to pull off around 1900, making the new model over 3 times faster.

The battery life has been good, as it seems to still have 25-50% charge after a day of moderate to heavy use.

One detail I didn't realize before, but now find apparent is that while the speakers sound good for built in tiny tablet speakers, the volume levels are capped to achieve this. Before the speakers begin to distort bass, the top volume levels out. I kind of wish it could go little further so I could use it for a portable radio while I'm cleaning, but I suppose headphones will fix that. It fits in a pants pocket like a big mp3 player, something I can't pull off with an iPad mini. The iPad mini is 5.3 inches wide, while the Nexus 7 is about 4.7 inches. The widescreen just barely makes it into a back or side pocket without being too tight.

Edit: 7/29

Another detail I've heard from at least one reviewer is that of dead pixels. I HIGHLY recommend running the free app, "Dead Pixel Test" as soon as you can. I discovered only two dead pixels on my tablet, both in the top. One is incredibly hard to see except at an angle, and only then in complete black. The other is slightly more visible, but only at an angle again. Dead pixels are to be expected on an high density display, so be extra diligent to identify whether or not your display has a serious problem with dead or stuck pixels. Mine are minor, but a few significant reports have surfaced.

Edit: 8/6/13

After around 2 weeks of use, I'm very happy with the tablet. It has done well with battery life throughout a day or two of moderate use and occasional gaming. I'm waiting on an ultra-slim case from Moko, but would like to see that "Premium Official Case" come out so I can decide if it's worth it. Word on the street is the official travel case is not worth the $20 they are asking.

Edit: 9/18/13

I've now had the tablet for almost 2 months and I'm 100% sold on it. It's fast, reliable and just about the perfect size for taking anywhere. I take it to customer sites to use WiFi-Analyzer, take notes, check email, Remote Desktop into PCs/Servers, change configs on network equipment and many other things. My Kindle Fire is now converted into a semi-dedicated iTunes remote because I'm so spoiled by the responsiveness of my Nexus 7.

Also, I rooted it about a week or so ago and put a lean version of 4.3 on it. It's even faster now! I also love the Moko ultra-slim case I put on it. It doesn't add bulk, the magnetic clamps seem to be holding up, and it looks nice.

I'm a very satisfied fan of this tablet.

"Probable" final update, 11/12/15

If anyone is still checking this tablet out, here's a final addition to the review. I've had the table for over two years now, and I'm still happy with it and frequently use it for web browsing as well as light gaming, such as Clash of Clans. Its battery still maintains a nice long charge even after continual use for 2 years, and it still does a good job of handling day to day tasks.

Marshmallow, Android 6.0, was pushed out to the tablet over the past month, and seems to be very stable on it.

I guess my review stands. I still really like this tablet. It's still a good value and solid platform.
7676 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
887 of 1,016 people found the following review helpful
on July 31, 2013
***(Updated 8-30-2013)

I have both the Original Nexus 7 and Second Generation Nexus 7 and I've been using the new Nexus 7 constantly for over 3 weeks now.

***GPS - Issue resolved with Android Build Number JSS15Q
There was an issue with all Nexus 7 FHD Tablets where the GPS location would freeze and the only way to get it working again was to reboot the tablet.

Wifi - In my home the new Nexus has issues finding and connecting to my home network and it drops occasionally despite not having this issue with my old Nexus 7 (running 4.1), TV, PS3 and other devices on my WiFi in the area.
***This is a confirmed issue with Android 4.3, not the Nexus 7 FHD. I've experienced the same issue on my old Nexus 7 once I updated it to 4.3 and it has never had a Wifi issue before now.

Initial Reboot Issue - The first night using the new tablet I was playing a game when it just instantly powered off mid-game. When I booted it back up I got a "Enter password to decrypt Storage message" despite never decrypting or setting a password on anything. There was no way to get past this screen short of restoring the entire tablet back to factory condition which was relatively simple but I lost everything I had on my tablet at that point.
*** I still get a random reboot in the middle of using my tablet every couple of weeks but haven't had to rebuild it yet

*** Battery - One key difference I'd like to point out as a major advantage over the old Tablet isn't as much the battery life which lasts slightly longer than the old Nexus 7, but the fact you can use the tablet while it is plugged into the charger and it will slowly CHARGE, while the old Tablet would slowly DRAIN. This is important for power users and people who will be using it for long periods to watch movies/Netflix etc.

Look and feel - I love the way the new Nexus feels in your hand compared to the old one. The difference in the width makes holding the new nexus in your hand much more comfortable. It is slightly longer however and I wish they had taken the opportunity to shorten it as well.

Screen - Everyone has been saying how noticeably better the screen is but honestly despite having a much higher resolution and pixel density I haven't been able to see a marked difference although the new screen is definitely brighter. I've played Netflix side by side with the old one on the same show and they look identical in every way. I've tested dozens of websites side by side now and there is no discernible difference between the screens when viewing web content. I haven't had a chance to try out any non-streaming movies yet but I think for every day usage you're not going to notice a difference when comparing it to the old Nexus 7. This isn't because the new screen is bad, only that the old Nexus 7 has an excellent screen and there are rapidly diminishing degrees of noticeability beyond that point.

Camera - The new camera for a 5MP camera actually takes pretty fair shots and I'm glad they included it. They actually look better than the photos taken with the 5MP camera on my Galaxy Nexus and the new Nexus 7 is much better at taking low light shots.

Speakers - In my Netflix test I could detect slightly better sound on the new Nexus in stereo but it was barely noticeable to me. The difference between the two is hardly worth mentioning and neither one is going to give you any sort of quality sound.

Performance - This is where the new Nexus is noticeably faster and the UI feels more responsive. I tested out several games that would be choppy on my old Nexus at times and experienced none of that on the new Nexus. One thing I haven't seen people note however is that although the new GPU is approximately 4 times faster, the resolution on the new Nexus has 2.3 times the pixels so your true performance increase from a hardware perspective graphically is going to be less than double, similar to the CPU performance increase. There has never been a time where I experienced any latency, stuttering or hesitance on the New Nexus 7, it operates flawlessly in this regard

Operating System - 4.3 Android was just pushed to my old Nexus 7 last night. This includes TRIM support which is one of the reasons many people experienced a slow down with time on their old Nexus (which I never have experienced since I wasn't a heavy installer/uninstaller). The update also includes Open GLES 3.0 so it is possible that games will run smoother on the old Nexus as well. Nothing really to contrast here now.

HDMI Out (With Slimport Adapter) - I picked up a new Slimport adapater and the HDMI out functionality works flawlessly, but when you plug in your AC charger into it, the Nexus 7 only registers it as "USB" charging which still slowly drains the battery. I tested it using Netflix against my Playstation 3 on my Samsung 52" 1080P TV running the same show and the two looked and sounded identical with the exception of the Nexus 7 having a slightly clipped black border around the edges of the Television. I tested it for an hour with the charger plugged in and lost 8% Battery so as long as you start using it with a full battery you shouldn't run into issues there.

Better form factor and higher quality "feel"
Noticable Performance Improvements
HDMI Out (With Slimport adapter)
Improved Battery Life and more efficient power useage
5 MP Front facing Camera
Brighter screen with a higher pixel density

Wifi Issues
Occasional Reboots
More Expensive than old Nexus 7

SUMMARY: If you currently own a Nexus 7 I would say the extra expense isn't worth the marginal upgrades unless you need something the new one in particular offers(HDMI Out/Front Facing Camera). In my case I'm giving my old Nexus 7 to my wife so my upgrade serves a dual purpose. If you don't currently own an android tablet or want a small form factor tablet then this tablet is the best money can buy.
104104 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2015
Before you decide to buy this tablet, google "nexus 7 freezes at Google logo." There are thousands of complaints on the Internet about the Nexus 7 (both editions), and sometimes the Nexus 5, being bricked by the Lollipop update. This is apparently what happened to mine. I woke up one Monday to discover it frozen at the Google logo (which appears during boot-up). It is impossible to get past that point. So far as I can tell, it had just upgraded itself to Lollipop 5.0.2, and froze when rebooting. At least, that's what many, many other people reported as the cause of the problem. I've tried every cure I could find on the Internet with no luck. And even worse, neither Google nor Asus will do anything about the problem unless it happens while you are still in warranty. Since I bought my tablet early after its release, I've had it about a year and a half now. When it works, it's very nice. My wife's still works, even upgraded to Lollipop 5.1.1. But mine seems forever stuck on the Google logo. Asus reportedly wants $200+ to fix the problem, and Google just says, "Too bad," when they say anything--even though I bought both tablets directly from the Google Play Store. At present I'm awaiting a motherboard from China to replace the motherboard in the tablet, which seems to be the recommended solution. I'm hoping it will work, but if it doesn't I'll have to buy another tablet (NOT a Nexus this time).
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2014
I bought one for myself and two more for my girls that live at home,

Originally I had planned on going with the kindle fire hdx 7" because of the faster processor and graphics card but decided against it for a few reasons.

Kindle fire hdx 7" would be a great pick for someone deeply integrated in the Amazon ecosystem. Please do not get me wrong, I love Amazon with all my heart, that is why I buy almost everything here. It would also be a great purchase for the first time tablet user or for someone who is not very tech savvy for it has a cool feature called "Mayday" button that takes you to a live Amazon support individual on your tablet screen. It has good speakers if you do not plan on using headphones or ear-buds. It is also one of the only tablets that allows you to stream your free Amazon Prime videos.

-I bought a Nexus 7 2013 version because I can always have the newest version of android when it becomes available first.

-Google play has more than amazon does for apps. You can get the kindle app from Google play if you want to utilize your kindle library.

-I do not have to unlock or try to manipulate the Nexus into trying to make an app work, they just do.

-Chromecast is cool, so is Miracast that is on the Kindle. I just do not want to go out and buy a new television to be able to make Miracast work. We are PC gamers in this house so we do not have Playstations to run this through either.

-I like having a front and back camera on the Nexus. Yes if you Skype a lot maybe you will want the 720p front camera on the kindle but you do not get a rear camera on the kindle.

-The Nexus captures 1080P video, that is a cool tablet feature.

-The kindle can be set up as child friendly. The Nexus can have multiple users. When you create a user profile you can you can restrict the mature content and set what applications that user will have access to. Not to mention the numerous apps available for helping the parent monitor and restrict if you deem this necessary it is all available on googleplay.

-I like having the choice of what browser I want to use (firefox being my favorite) and I know that firefox works on just about every site. I also have the option of Google Chrome. I am not limited to just the kindle browser "Silk" which is not a horrible browser but I prefer knowing that when I use firefox under the right settings that I have a little privacy.

What it boils down to is both of the tablets are great. Most of the time they are the same price. The kindle you will have to pay an additional fee if you do not want to see their adds every time you wake it up or unlock it. Most kindle users do not mind the adds and some like them. I have just found that for what I do the Nexus is a better buy for me. This is with the sacrifice of a little slower processor and video processor, I have not noticed any difference. If you are not in a huge hurry then maybe wait a little longer to see what the Nexus 8 is going to have besides a little larger screen. I believe that tablet is coming out sometime in 2014 (probably the 2nd or 3rd 1/4). Like I stated earlier I bought three of these and they are easy to set up and I have not had any problems in the last month of using them. I will gladly update this post/review if I do have any issues.

I hope this review did not confuse you or make it harder for you to make a choice, the tablet is built by ASUS as well which this in itself is a bonus in my opinion.

Thanks for reading my review

UPDATE/EDIT: 4/29/2014 Still running strong, all three of them. Love playing games on them and I love streaming Netflix in High Definition. Lots of rumors flying around out there about the Nexus 8. I still love my Nexus 7 2013 but I cannot wait to see what the next Nexus tablet has to offer.

UPDATE/EDIT: 5/4/2015 The tablets are still operating just fine. Two of the three started having problems with the charging port. The charging port begins to get loose and sloppy. It will not charge after awhile. It is not that hard to fix if you do not mind opening up the back of the tablet and working with small tools. Eventually you can only bend things back into shape so many times before it fails. I did not bother buying a charging board replacement because they are expensive and there are two versions and you need the right one. I opted for a Qi wireless charging pad that I did a review on and it works great. Besides the charging port going bad the tablets have worked perfect.

Thanks for reading my review and this update.
review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2013
I got this myself for christmas but after reading some of the reviews and issues with problems with it i decided to take it out of the box and try it out for an hour or so tonight just to make sure none of the "out of the box issues" that a few people were having did not happen, after all it would be terrible if i opened it up christmas and it had major issues, as my family will be there and more family coming in that weekend. It seems the vast majority of issues with the Nexus 7 has been out of the box.

So i opened it up tonight, charged it up. took about only 2 hours to charge it to 99 percent which was pretty nice. I updated to the latest android version right away (4.4.2 which just came out last night) and then installed two of the test apps that people have been using the GPS test and a multi-touch test app. (as that app is able to directly see any phantom touches or incorrect touch issues) i ran the touch app for a bit, no issues, it picked up on my touch with many fingers, no extra taps were shown at all. I then used the GPS test app , (after i disabled wifi so that it would only pick up my location through the GPS) while in my house it took a few seconds longer then in some videos to pull up the GPS and it had a not so great accuracy but that was inside the good enough. when i went outside with it and took a walk from my house to my church (which is a few blocks and under a pretty tree filled path) it did fine with no drops and around 10-15 feet accuracy on average (walking not in car)

Some people have said the brightness of the nexus 7 is too bright in low light. i turned it all the way down (as it was very dark outside) and i did not feel it was overly bright at all, felt just right. I ran a little risk taking it outside without a case (as i would get the case before christmas) but i had no trouble holding it and it did not feel like it wanted to come out my hands at all as long as i was careful.

I ran the GPS app for about 30 mins total without any drops.

I am into photography not as a pro but just as a way to express myself and connect with others. I had a Canon DSLR but downgraded to a powershot 110 HS as i wanted something smaller and that camera does very well for the price. Some have said that the camera in the nexus 7 wasnt all that great. i took a few test shots ( even a few in low light outside) and i think the quality is very good. In some cases it may overexpose things but overall it was able to produce realitively sharp and clear images that would be just fine on the 7 inch screen and look pretty good on a larger monitor.

Video quality was good too may have been the low lighting in my room or something but i found the video clips i took were a bit laggy for some reason. the nexus 7 itself did not feel laggy otherwise, maybe it was just being not the best light or something. but i assume it would do good in better light during the day. But that is something to note. Picture quality is good but video quality may be hit or miss inside in lowish light. But for me thats not a big problem. I just wanted a small tablet that could take decent pictures and on that this wins, I think unlless you are a pro photographer or have a high end camera phone and just love it. For average pictures while you are out and about..say you just want to have "one" device that you can use without having to fiddle with another camera or cell phone camera this would do you fine.

The only thing i do not like is the camera app. it is simple enough unless you need to get into the settings with uses a weird circleish menu.......but no fear. there are a few good quality photo apps you can use with Android that replace the slandered camera app and if you are into pictures i would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you do that. I also liked that you could change the aspect ratio. i used 16:9 which does shrink the megapixels down a bit but looks much better when viewed back on the 16:10 nexus 7 screen and looks just fine on a 16:9 monitor.

there were a few shots i took that i thought were pretty impressive even without editing.

The screen is very nice its very easy to read text, i pulled up a free google book and had no trouble with that, pictures look very good on it and overall it just feels like a quality product.

I did not try any games on it just yet (saving that for christmas) but google maps and google earth seem to run fast and good on it.

I also did not have any restart or freezing issues in the hour or so i have used it. It turned off a few times but that was when i found out it was set to go to sleep in 2 minutes and some apps (Like the gps test app) will still cause it to sleep when used. So i recommend go into the settings and change the sleep mode to 30 minutes. and i think there are apps /settings that can tooggle which apps can and cant cause sleep mode to happen.

Battery usage seemed pretty good I used the nexus on about 1 hour and a half ish on just battery alone after charging to 99 percent and i took a few pictures some video clips and used the gps test app for about 30 minutes and came back after using itotal for about an hour and a half to 92 percent charge left

to me that is very good and if you dont use the gps and do other things i am sure it will last longer too.

I love the size and feel of the nexus 7 it just is small enough. its not too small and its not too big. My last tablet was the ipad 1 so this is a pretty good upgrade for me. I felt the ipad 1 for its time was a good tablet but its larger size and weight made it not so easy to carry around while walking to the church and showing things to people on foot with one hand and all. plus the ipad 1 has no cameras.

Holding it while out tonight just felt nice. but i would recommend getting a case for sure as it feels just a tad fragile carrying around without a case. but has a solid build and does not feel cheap at all

Oh and i forgot to say but the front facing camera is good enough. it took decent pictures of me in average indoor light in my room at night. so good enough in my opinion though the camera placement on the front is a bit odd but no problem.

I haven't even used half of the features of the nexus 7 yet. but i am very impressed and glad to see that it will work fine Christmas when i re-open it. I have not tested out the LTE yet (but that was not really something people have complained about)

I will update this later for more infomation when christmas comes around i just wanted to make sure there was no issues and problems out of the box. Oh and i had no problem with it finding my wifi connection, i know some people have said they had issues with wifi connection as well. felt solid and fast to me!

All and All this is one of the best tablets for the price i am sorry for those who had hardware issues but i got mine this past week from Google so maybe some of the newer batches directly from them have fixed some of those issues. I would say give it a chance it seems 9 times out of 10 this will be a flawless product!

I am glad i took the dive and know come christmas i will have a lot of fun and get a lot of use out of it!

So dont be afraid of the bad reviews some have posted on here, i say give it a chance and hopefully you will not be let down!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2015
My Nexus 7 has been toast since I upgraded to 5.1. I called Google support and while they acknowledged that lots of people have been calling in with the same problem - their position is that Asus is responsible to solve the problem as they certified the tablet to run 5.1. They then gave me an ASUS phone number to call and I waited for 1/2 hour for an ASUS person to answer.

Their solution was to send my tablet back to them to see if they could repair and they would tell me how much it would cost to repair ($$$$$). I told ASUS I did not have a hardware problem and that the tablet/hardware worked but that 5.1 had slowed the system down so as to be inoperable and it made no sense for me to send them the device. They did not care.

Before you even consider buying this device google "nexus 7 lollipop issues"

Net. Not buying anymore devices from Google.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2014
I had a working Nexus 7 for about three months before I shut it down one day, and it never came back on for me. After about two months of dealing with Google and ASUS, I called Amazon to inform them of the lack of service I had gotten from the above mentioned. Google, would not do anything for me because I did not buy from Google Play directly. ASUS was very hard to comunicate with. Their web is completely automated. I sent it to them to be 'fixed'; but, after having received it back, still not working, and unable to get a clear answer from ASUS as to how it was 'fixed'. I deceided to let Amazon know about the unacceptable service from Google and ASUS. Bottom line, Amazon refunnded my money without my asking. Thanks AMAZON!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 10, 2013
Bought this item from Google Store so technically I'm only writing a review here because there isn't one of this product on Amazon.

So mine arrived back in October with T-Mobile sim card which I dont use. I wanted this device because I wanted to run Whatsapp on it hence I needed a SIM card tablet device and this one fit the bill perfectly. Plus I wanted a Google android, I knew KitKat was on its way, ASUS is a great brand and owning a Nexus is my dream.

The device is great. It runs smoothly, is very quick in performance. No lag time at all. There was no krap installed from before. I love the swype gesture and ofcourse KitKat 4.4 is already on my device since well over 2 weeks now.

The screen is amazing. The clarity, ufff! If the screen gets puggy i just wipe it off with my shirt and thats it! good as new! The back side can be cleaned off easily but since I purchase 2 rooCases (slimshell) along with this device, I dont really need to clean the back side.

This device also has a notification light which is uber awesome :)

If any of you folks need to know more, ask away. I may not be a verified amazon purchaser but i did buy the device from Google Store and love it to the very core.... hmm that actually rhymed ;)
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2013
This is a great tablet, perfect in every way except that Verizon, the only carrier in my area, will not support it for LTE. Others have activated an older tablet and transferred the sim card to their Google Asus Nexus 7 which seems to work just fine. I paid extra for this tablet so I could access the stock market, weather etc. in remote locations without wifi but I'm the victim of some sort of competitive Google/Verizon turf battle. I'd recommend this very nice, well sized, and wonderfully detailed screen tablet with 5 stars if you can use ATT or Tmobile who will activate and support this newest generation of Google Nexus 7.
Feb 17, 2014..update..Verizon has apparently resolved any issues it had with my Google Asus 7 Tablet and I was able to activate it at the Verizon Store. This is an amazing tablet, just what I wanted and very versatile. 5 stars
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse