Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

In the first book of the new series, Mickey and his best friend, Amanda, are taking care of his vacationing neighbors' black cat, Bella. They basically just feed the cat and make sure it doesn't claw the furniture. One day, they accidentally leave the door open and Bella runs out. They try to catch up to her, but it was too late. Bella was hit by a truck.

Mickey and Amanda come up with a plan to replace Bella before her owners come home. They go to a local pet store called Cat Heaven. The store carries different breeds and colors of cats, but they don't have one exactly like Bella. Before leaving, Mickey and Amanda stumble upon a room in the back where they find an exact match to Bella. The clerk won't let them buy a cat from the back room, so they steal it.

Now the trouble begins, as Mickey starts seeing more cats. Are these cats real or is he imagining them?

The Halls of Horrors is an old castle hidden in HorrorLand where kids come to tell a true scary story to the Story-Keeper. If the story is really frightening, the Story-Keeper will keep the story in the Halls of Horror. Unlike the previous Horrorland books, this new series doesn't have a continuing storyline, besides from the Story-Keeper being the narrator. Or maybe R.L. Stine has something up his sleeve and maybe the kids from this series will be gathered together in one book. Overall, I enjoyed reading Claws! and I loved the twist at the end.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2011
Goosebumps HorrorLand: Hall of Horrors introduces R.L. Stine fans to a brand-new place filled with all-new eerie adventures and mysteries, and major fear-producing spectres that will send a chill up your spine. It's an old castle off the beaten path of Horrorland that you can't find on a map. And you can only access its deep secrets if you are accompanied by The Keeper, walking through the Unliving Room into the dark recesses of the Hall of Horrors.

This first adventure, titled CLAWS! for a good reason, brings together Mickey Coe with a cat named Bella. With the help of his best friend Amanda, Mickey can barely keep this crazy cat under control. But then the uncontrollable Bella runs outside and gets hit by a truck. Horrified and saddened, Mickey doesn't know what to do, but Amanda steps into action: Get a look-alike cat from Cat Heaven! Seems easy enough, until it becomes clear that this cat is nothing like the mild-mannered Bella. She has a life (or nine) of her own...and she may take one at the same time!

In keeping with the Goosebumps tradition, Hall of Horrors will become an exciting new first stop on the road to scarier times --- a true horror destination. Read this story at your own risk. And the next time you pet a cat, make sure she's not from Cat Heaven. CLAWS! is ready to get its claws into you!

--- Reviewed by Jana Siciliano
on December 25, 2011
since I've read a Goosebumps book. In my youth I'd read much of the original series. This practically ceased as my tastes refined i.e. Dostoyevsky, Sartre, Camus - alot of old foreign lit. Reading Claws! I remember why GBs were so captivating when I was but a pre-teen: quickly read, cliff-hanging chapters and always the little twist at the end. I foresee myself reading the rest of the Halls of Horror series.
on February 9, 2012
I love this book! I have a cat named Bella so it was a little strange to read about an evil cat named Bella, but I love the book! R.L. Stine is my FAVORITE author of all time!!! I love how his books just draw you in and have a creepy edge to them! My cat even looks like the cat from this story. This story reminds me of my cat because my cat, if she likes you, she will stick her claws in your leg.
on March 31, 2012
After writing ninteen oringinal horror books by the Thriller Master, you might say that he would be finished by now! But it seems that Mr. Stine is still going on at it strongly. I'm missing some of the original first story arc of HorrorLand, but I will post my reviews of the first story arc once I get them.

Welcoem to the Hall of Hall of Horrors. A place where kids can find an old castle that can't be found on the HorrorLand map. It's a haunted place for visitors to come and tell their tale of horror to the Story-Keeper. He is the Keeper of their stories. Every story is different for each visit. And so the Story-Keeper puts their shadowy faces on a wall, to remind them that their story is safe with the Keeper. And so the first visitor is about a girl named Mickey and a cat named Bella. Lets begin the review, shall we?

There was nothing unusal about Bella, the negighbor's cat. that young Mickey, before te accident. The accident that changed his life for the worst. On the first day, Mickey and his best friend, were taking care of Bella, like they were supposed too, but had left the front door wide open, giving the cat a chance for an escape routine. Tragically, the cat gets smothered by a truck and is killed. Sadden, the two best friends, lose hope that they might be fired from their job, if they don't find a solution to their problem, promto.

Then, luckily, Amanda suggest they go to the look-alike cat store in town. They browse hundreds of cats that don't look anything like the road killed Bella of their neighbor's pet. But when the kids stumble into a back room, they discover several cages with the same kind of cat that looked exactly like Bella! But something doesn't seem right with these strange pussy cats. Could it could too real to be true, that these cats could actually be dead?
on November 30, 2011
This book is great! I'm ten years old and I'm in fifth grade, so this might be useful to you. I got this book for an early Christmas gift. Before I got it, I had become very interested in horror books. I LOVE books that will give me goosebumps, but I didn't think I'd like this one. Well, I decided to read it anyway. I read the first few chapters, and that really drew me in. Although it wasn't very creepy yet, I really liked it! I was reading CLAWS at school whenever I had a chance! I read it every day when I got home from school. I went to my grandma's house and she wanted me to read her CLAWS, so I did. I ended up finishing the book that day, and I think I'm obsessed with these books! I wish R.L. Stine would make a part two of CLAWS. I really enjoyed this book.
on August 9, 2011
I bought this book for my 8 year old son to read, who is very picky about what he likes to read. When he ran out of books to read and I asked him if he'd like more Goosebumps books, the answer was a resounding, "Yes!" He's looking forward to receiving the next two books in the series.
on June 13, 2013
My 12 year old son has a collection of R.L. Stine's books in his room. So far he has a large number of the Goosebumps, Goosebump Horrorlands, some others I can't think of lol, and is now starting to read R.L. Stine's Fear Street books. I read these books as a kid and now I'm buying them for my kids!
on January 19, 2013
I bought this for my 12 year old grandson and he loved it. He reads all the goosebumps books that he can find. These books are good because they make him read a lot.
on January 9, 2013
The child I purchased it for loves it! Easy to read and the story is exciting and I will order again