5.0 out of 5 stars The Scariest Goosebumps Ever!
A few months ago R. L. Stine released a new book, Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask, in a rare hardback edition. The new sequel doesn't include the characters of Carly Beth and Sabrina, but focuses on two new kids, Lu-Ann Franklin and Devin O'Bannon.

Published on October 16, 2012 by Coffee Addicted Writer's Reviews

I bought this to see how the classic Goosebumps "Haunted Mask" story had been updated for the next generation.

Published 12 months ago by Aisling D'Art

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Scariest Goosebumps Ever!, October 16, 2012
This review is from: Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask (Hardcover)

The books begins at William's Mask Emporium, in which the owner and his dog, Hansel, get a late night visitor - his brother, Randolph, who happens to brought along a few creepy masks that were made from human flesh. William recognizes that the masks are nothing but pure evil. He plans on destroying the masks, but the masks may get him first.

The plot jumps forty years into the future, where twelve-year-old Lu-Ann and her friend Devin are dreading the upcoming annual Halloween party that is being hosted by their classmate Polly Martin. Every year the party gets more boring and if Lu-Ann has to attend, she is going to make it a frightening evening by pulling some pranks with her best-friend Devin. Her plan changes when she learns that Devin can't come to the party. She attends the party anyway and talks two other friends, Marcus and Brad, into following her to Polly's Attic while the other kids played a silly balloon game. They hear an unknown voice coming from a closet - a half skeleton, half human corpse holding the green haunted mask falls out of the closet when Lu-Ann yanked it open. It was the ugliest mask that Lu-Ann had ever seen and it would make the perfect prank, but once she slips the mask on, the mask becomes part of her flesh.

Meanwhile, Devin is having a horrible time with his parents and his six-year-old twin sisters, Dale and Dolly. His father had recently bought a pumpkin farm and now he's been stuck on the farm helping sell pumpkins to complete strangers. Strange thing begin to happen and Devin learns that the farm was once a graveyard. There is a legend of an angry spirit known as the Grave-Master. He can travel through the pumpkin vines and eventually into an actual pumpkin, where he can then take either a human or animal form. Just a legend? Or is the pumpkin patch alive?

Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask is a standalone book (but technically it is actually the 4th Haunted Mask book) that is twice the length of a typical Goosebumps. I grew up reading the original series and I have continued to collect each new book over the years. I was somewhat disappointed that Carly Beth didn't return, but I guess R. L. Stine thought she had had enough of the mask mayhem. The book is broken down into four different parts: Part One: The Haunted Mask; Part Two: Lu-Ann's Story; Part Three: Devin's Story; Epilogue: Polly's House. The previous series (Horrorland, Hall of Horrors) contained humor and campiness, but Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask is more horror than anything else. It may be written for the ages 8 and up, but I don't know if children that young should be reading it, even though at that age I was already watching horror movies. I recommend parents to read the book first before letting your kids read it.

Lu-Ann's Story goes by the formulaic plot that was established in the original Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask, The Haunted Mask II (Goosebumps), and Goosebumps HorrorLand #4: The Scream of the Haunted Mask. One would think the fourth entry would get stale, but R. L. Stine bumped up the frights for this tale. Devin's Story is a combination of Children of the Corn and Pumpkinhead. It is truly frighting and you'll think twice about buying a pumpkin. Both the stories are tied together near the end where the two friends have to help each other to defeat the evils. Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask is the scariest Goosebumps title and I'm looking forward to reading the next series, Goosebumps Most Wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars By far one of the best Goosebumps ever!, August 29, 2013
This review is from: Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask (Hardcover)
I have read every single Goosebumps book that has ever been released. This one tops the list for me at one of the best. And iam a huge fan I love all RL Stine's books. The Haunted Mask has always been one of my fave villains. It doesn't matter if you grew up on Goosebumps books like me and are now an adult or are just getting into the series for the 1st time. This is a MUST READ. Before i get into the story just having a hardcover book is quite rare and i consider it an important part of my collection. The first part of the book explains how The Haunted Mask all started many years ago. It gives insight as to why it is so evil. The 2nd part once again takes you on an adventure where the evil of the Haunted Mask overpowers a girl named LuAnn. The 3rd part of the book is by far my favourite. It is a perfect story to read on a cool night when the sky grows dark and there is an extra chill in the air. If you love pumpkins you will want to think twice next time you enter a pumpkin patch. Excellent book A+++

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect scary story for Halloween!, July 19, 2012
This review is from: Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask (Hardcover)
You know a book is good, especially a middle grade book, when you dream about it, no, when you have a nightmare about it! People weren't kidding when they say that R.L. Stine is the Stephen King for kids!

The Haunted Mask is split up into three parts, which gives us three point-of-views...
The story starts out with shop owner named William who enjoys creating beautiful, exotic and happy masks. He believes that his masks are to bring fun and joy to the persons wearing them. But when his estranged brother, Randolph, shows up with a proposition to go into business together, showing him a case full of the most ugly and twisted masks he has ever seen. They quarrel and things get quite intense and scary.
Now 40 years later, we meet Lu-Ann and Devin and they are talking about their plans for Halloween. Lu-Ann is tired of going to her friends boring Halloween party every year and now that they are older, she is hoping to make things scary and interesting. Meanwhile, Devin and his family are going to go live on a pumpkin farm for the whole week of Halloween and won't be around to go to the party.
On Halloween, Lu-Ann and her two friends, Brad and Marcus, go to Polly's boring Halloween party and weird things start happening. They run upstairs into the attic and find a chest full of masks. They decide to put on the masks to frighten the party-goers... little does Lu-Ann that her mask is "special".
The story then jumps back a few days before Halloween showing us what Devin has been going through living on the pumpkin farm which has not been fun... and the most scariest things have been happening too.
On Halloween everyone's story collides together to create the most suspenseful and scariest of all endings ever. R.L. Stine really does know how to deliver a good scare!

I highly recommend that parents read this first before giving to any children under the age of 8. My son is 8 1/2 and I'm not sure if I want him reading it yet even though he thinks the cover is one of the coolest bookcovers he has ever seen, lol! I guess we'll be finding out this fall whether he'll still think that or not!

* Received a copy for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good!, June 27, 2012
This review is from: Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask (Hardcover)
In this goosebumps the story of the haunted mask is similar, and different from all the other haunted mask stories. But this time R.L. Stine has added in Lu-Annes friend (read description of the book.) in with his story. So at times it can be confusing, but I am a goosebumps fan, and I liked it overall, it shipped June 18, when it should have come July 1st so that improved the purchase for me! I hope you will enjoy this if you do buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Horror Tales Merged Into One - WOW, How Clever!, June 20, 2014
This has got to be one of R.L.Stine's best horror stories ever! It was absolutely fascinating. I couldn't put the book down until I read every single word in this horror story. One story merges very smoothly into another. The connectivity is just amazing how Stine does this.

The beginning of this horror tale begins inside of a shop that specializes in very pretty and appealing masks for any child. William is the owner of William's Mask Emporium shop. His German shepherd companion, Hansel, is always there to be by his side. On a foggy and windy night William is visited unexpectedly by his brother Randolph. Randolph had a criminal past and came to visit William with a mysterious black case that was full of ugly and scary masks. These masks were actual faces of the unwanted and were haunted. At one moment, Randolph managed to pull the scariest of these haunted masks and press it against William's face. Within a short moment William finds out that the mask can't come off and adheres to his facial skin permanently. With much force William pulls the mask and his own skin from his face, leaving him with a bloody face. Randolph takes off and never to be seen again. William goes to his attic and forces the masks into a trunk and hides inside the attic closet to die.

In another time frame the story takes you to a place where a group of teenagers are celebrating Halloween at a friend's house. The big problem is that these teenagers are into excitement, fun, and laughter and all are full of energy. But the party master is very boring and childish to these teenagers. Together they discover an attic that is full of creepy costumes and ugly, hideous masks that can scare anyone and everyone. One of the teenagers, Lu-Ann, puts on the most scariest mask only to find out that the mask can't be removed and it slowly becomes her actual face and skin. The mask has special powers and is pure evil, causing Lu-Ann to become very destructive and physically very strong. People run away from her.

Not far from this town is a friend of hers, Devin, who is having serious problems of his own. His farmhouse is located on top of an old cemetery. Devin can see things happening around him, however, his major problem is that he can't convince his family of his visions. Two people that he interacts with closely turn out to be ghosts from the past. Lu-Ann is saved when Devin sacrifices himself for her safety while battling with one of the ghosts.

Polly Martin, the party master that invited many kids over for Halloween, later decides to invite kids over to her attic and let them see the real ghosts inside the closet, only to put on another haunted mask similar to the same mask the Lu-Ann had on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, May 10, 2013
This book is completely different from other 'the hunted mask ' books. Pretty scary too. Pretty nice in all :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Bleh. Not for kids. Not for adults who liked the original, either., January 29, 2014

Like at least one other reviewer, I was disgusted. This isn't a fun book. It breaks at least one of Stine's original rules, about what happens to (or won't befall) main characters. And, it does that in the first section of this book. In lurid, gruesome detail.

I read a few pages in the middle section, before put it down and swore never to read another of these updated tales. I'm an adult and it'd give ME nightmares.

Thank you, but I'd rather keep my happy "Goosebumps" memories. And, for middle grade children...? The original Goosebumps stories might be kind of dated, but they're vastly better than this.

I'd rate this PG-13 with some R elements. It's not loaded with violence, but it conveys some really unattractive imagery so clearly, I can't recommend it for the original, middle-grade audience, and possibly not for young teens, either.

I'm very disappointed. If you want to share R. L. Stine with your children or grandchildren, buy the earlier books. They're still fun and creepy in ridiculous, over-the-top ways that won't turn your stomach.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your typical Goosebumps book, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask (Hardcover)
My 8-year-old son LOVES Goosebumps books. While he is capable of reading them on his own, I always read them to him before bed (I guess it's kind of a ritual). We've gotten through all of the old ones, as well as the "Hall of Horrors" and "Horrorland" books. When this new book came out, he was very excited. I am very glad that I didn't just hand him this book and let him read it on his own; we only got through six chapters before I pulled the plug.

Now, I know what you're thinking: Why would someone review a book when they only read six chapters? It is because of this that I hesitated to write a review. However, I felt that I needed to let the parents of other younger Goosebumps fans that this book is VERY different from other Goosebumps books. The first six chapters were well written. It's darker and much less campy than the older books, and the suspense builds well. However, when I skimmed through chapters seven and eight, I saw that the violence, which is actually pretty tame (in my opinion) in other Goosebumps books, was quite gory. It involves someone ripping their own face off, spurting blood everywhere, bidding their dog goodbye forever and running off to die somewhere. What happens beyond that, I don't know. Maybe there's a twist and the guy lives; I didn't get that far. Even if he does, what I read was pretty intense.

I am no prude; however, I felt that this was way too much for my son. When I told him we wouldn't be reading any more of the book, he got a little upset and asked why. When I explained (with as few details as possible) why, he looked a bit freaked out and agreed that we should move on to something else. I'd say that this book is probably more suitable for a 10-year-old, but if you decide to give it to a younger child, do yourself a favor and read through the first eight chapters first.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome story's, May 31, 2014
Awsome book well story's I could say I really really liked it it was a really good book the story's where great

5.0 out of 5 stars Tje haunted mask, December 17, 2013
This book was amazing!!!!!!i like the part where polly gets the mask.....i also like the part where he has a mask shop.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask
Goosebumps Wanted: The Haunted Mask by R. L. Stine (Hardcover - July 1, 2012)
$15.99 $12.56